View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 30th, 2014, 4:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Draft Day Thread 
Team MVP

Post Re: Draft Day Thread
I kinda liked the move. I didnt like giving anything up, but I like getting Best. I mean, what corner did you want at #34? Patrick Robinson got drafted by the Saints. Did we really want the 6th best corner, when we could get a top 3 running back? I know, theres positives and negatives at both, but i trust the FO on this one.

Question is, NOW what are we gonna do about our CB situation?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 23rd, 2010, 5:53 am
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:
I kinda liked the move. I didnt like giving anything up, but I like getting Best. I mean, what corner did you want at #34? Patrick Robinson got drafted by the Saints. Did we really want the 6th best corner, when we could get a top 3 running back? I know, theres positives and negatives at both, but i trust the FO on this one.

Question is, NOW what are we gonna do about our CB situation?

You're missing the point, I think. Best would have likely been there at #34. There really was no need to move up and get him. In my book, Best is not a first round player. Talent wise, yes, he has first round talent. But as a player, he warrants a mid second round pick. Why? Injury history and production against better competition. Talent doesn't benefit a team when it's on Injured Reserve. And Best, when healthy, rarely performed all that well against some of the better teams he faced.

With a Lions offensive line that is mediocre at best, I don't see Jahvid Best getting the room that's needed to spring for these big 20 yard runs that Schwartz and Linehan are talking about.

If the Lions were going to move up to #30, they should have taken Patrick Robinson. If they really wanted Best, they should have just stayed where they were. If they really wanted a RB for the future, they should have taken a player with much better durability who can be a full time back and still has some speed. And there are still a few of those left on the board.

The move up and the choice to use that on Best were not the best thing that this team has done. And I'm sorry, but when the f**k is this team going to stop burning first round picks on offense?

April 23rd, 2010, 7:58 am
RIP Killer

liontrax wrote:
Hope not, Cox is slow, and is a character concern.

Wrong and wrong. Cox is not going to wow you with his forty times, but he has better hips than most in this draft class, and is extremely quick. He has good instincts, and was a close second to Kyle Wilson as the best corner at the Senior Bowl. His character concerns revolve around the fact that he already has kids (so do some of the players that were selected in the first round) and he was suspended from participating in the bowl game and at his teams pro day. All that came from him being late twice for curfew during the week of the bowl game. Smart? Certainly not. But he wasn't out doing drugs, getting drunk, "making it rain", or anything stupid like that. One night he and some others went to dinner and got back 15 minutes after curfew. So he wasn't alone in that regard. However, the other night he was out with his girlfriend and got back around an hour after curfew. Like I said, not smart, but hardly an offense that should keep a team from selecting him. Particularly a team as bare in the cupboard as Detroit when it comes to cornerbacks.

April 23rd, 2010, 8:09 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Obviously, the Lions felt he may not be there at 34. It's not a given that he would be. Most dynamic talent we've had at RB since Barry. They must have valued him higher than any of the corners, or they would have taken one of those. As for Perrish Cox, if the Lions want him there's a good chance he'll be there in the 4th. Bad forty times and a lackadaisical attitude will not enamor you to pro teams.

April 23rd, 2010, 9:09 am
Modmin Dude

liontrax wrote:
Obviously, the Lions felt he may not be there at 34. It's not a given that he would be. Most dynamic talent we've had at RB since Barry. They must have valued him higher than any of the corners, or they would have taken one of those. As for Perrish Cox, if the Lions want him there's a good chance he'll be there in the 4th. Bad forty times and a lackadaisical attitude will not enamor you to pro teams.

Agreed. I've heard/read that Indy was set to take him at 31...

April 23rd, 2010, 9:17 am
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
liontrax wrote:

Agreed. I've heard/read that Indy was set to take him at 31...

I don't believe that for a second. Indy is loaded already at RB, with Addai actually having a pretty good season last year, plus their pick of Donald Brown last draft. They took exactly who they were targeting in Hughes.

April 23rd, 2010, 9:53 am
Site Admin

m2k...the Jets are loaded at CB but they took Wilson. Indy loves having multiple backs and especially one with very good hands.

I guess I understand it if you lament the pick itself but to me the trade up if they love the guy was not very exspensive IMO. Those are kind of 2 different topics.

On Drafting an RB -
Who here feels that Kevin Smith is good enough to be our feature back, please raise your hand?

Who here wants to pay a high price for a 30 yr old + vet for RB, raise your hand?

We have tried the RB in the third round trick and it hasn't worked. And without a running game our young QB is pretty limited to what he is going to do and Calvin will have little db's hanging all over his arms. You have to be able to run.

Whether this is the guy or not is debatable but the need is definately there for a starting RB.

On trading up -
Assuming it was a need and assuming Best was the top rated guy on their board then I do not think they gave up anything significant. They may have looked at CB or OL and saw they have plenty of guys that they covet that will be available in the 3rd and beyond. I don't know...

I have heard that both the Colts and the Saints were interested in Best so I don't feel it was a reach value-wise either. This guy can move and catch and to me has the highest upside of any back in the draft. The only argument I see as valid is if we miss out on some super prospect that goes at 100-120ish which is only something you can know a year from now anyways.

We have picked plenty of defensive guys with that 2nd round pick that people were stoked about and most of them are long gone. The draft is a pure gamble so I think you go with people that have the highest ceiling for that gamble to impact the team.

April 23rd, 2010, 10:13 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I don't think they were worried about Indy, I think they were worried about someone trying to cut in tomorrow at pick 33 to get him. Not sure if I feel the same way, but for we gave up, I think it was worth the security. Was it a panic? I'm not sure, but there were a CRAPLOAD of teams trading up this draft getting players no one thought they would move up for. Some just freaking crazy... so I really don't think they were willing to wait and find out just to get a guy they were OK with instead of a guy loved.

Everyone graded this move an A.

April 23rd, 2010, 10:15 am
Modmin Dude

I posted this in another thread, but think it applies here too:

DetroitLions.com wrote:
On how excited Scott Linehan was about the pick
“There’s a couple things: a guy that works in our pro personnel department, does a great job, Joe Pirucki, did a project at the end of the season last year where he was taking the top five offenses in the league over the last few years. And he did a lot of research, spent a lot of time – he’s really a smart guy. He came up with, ‘What do they all have in common?’ They all had a wide receiver, they all had a quarterback, they all had a running back and they all had a tight end.
“It was funny that left tackle wasn’t in that group, but the top five offenses over the last three years had those things in common.
Well, we drafted a pretty good tight end. He’s injured, but he’ll be back. Trade for another tight end that’s a match-up threat for us; a guy that can run 4.55 as a 6-5 tight end. We have the wide receiver and we drafted a quarterback last year. The running back gives us that other weapon. It’s exciting.”

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/articl ... 92dffa01ac

If true, the bolded part is very interesting

April 23rd, 2010, 10:18 am
RIP Killer

That is very interestinG!

April 23rd, 2010, 10:20 am
RIP Killer

Can anyone explain this pick:

Tyson Alualu??

Seriously... who even had him graded in the first round let alone 10th! I know I saw a few mocks with his name at the end of the first, but wow!

April 23rd, 2010, 10:25 am
RIP Killer

Prediction: St Louis' pick WILL be traded for someone looking to get Clausen.

One a side note, who would have thought that the Rams could have picks Suh and STILL got Clausen or McCoy at # 33? Wonder if they are kicking themselves?

April 23rd, 2010, 10:29 am
Site Admin

TheRealWags wrote:
I posted this in another thread, but think it applies here too:

DetroitLions.com wrote:
‘What do they all have in common?’ They all had a wide receiver, they all had a quarterback, they all had a running back and they all had a tight end.
“It was funny that left tackle wasn’t in that group, but the top five offenses over the last three years had those things in common.

Absolutely agree...you can probably go back and find posts I have made looking at the top offenses in the league how they for the most part do not have offensive lines full of blue chippers or 1st or 2nd rounders. I am sure a simple study would show very little correlation between oline average drafting position and offensive success. On the other hand any great offense has a running game.

And yes, they absoluletly have needs on defense still big time. But I like what they have done in FA and in the draft. Let's hope they have done their homework on these later round guys and find some great buys.

April 23rd, 2010, 10:32 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
I don't think they were worried about Indy, I think they were worried about someone trying to cut in tomorrow at pick 33 to get him. Not sure if I feel the same way, but for we gave up, I think it was worth the security. Was it a panic? I'm not sure, but there were a CRAPLOAD of teams trading up this draft getting players no one thought they would move up for. Some just freaking crazy... so I really don't think they were willing to wait and find out just to get a guy they were OK with instead of a guy loved.

Everyone graded this move an A.

In Wags other article, Mayhew agreed with me:
Quote:
On whether he thought that Best might get taken
“We weren’t scared.”
On whether there was any hesitation on trading with a division rival
“No.”
On how aggressive they’ve been in the draft
“Yeah, we’re in this thing to win it. We’re trying to win football games and I think you have to be aggressive. You can play it safe if you want to, while other teams are being aggressive. If you have a good feel for what you want to do and you’re confident in your scouts and in your evaluation, then you can be aggressive.”
On whether he felt Best wouldn’t last in the second round
“Well, our concern was with a night to sleep on it and this guy’s ability being what it is, that either somebody would move up in the bottom of the first and take him, or somebody would move up to St. Louis’ pick and take him, or we thought he might be a good selection for St. Louis. We wanted to get up there and get him.”
On how DT Ndamukong Suh and Best improve their talent
“They’re very talented guys, both of those guys are probably in the top 15 on our board. We were able to get two of them, that helps our offense, helps our defense. They’re both great character guys and both great additions to our franchise and to our football team.”

April 23rd, 2010, 10:33 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Best would not have made it to 34. I still would'nt be surprised if we drafted another RB in the 7th round if Conner is off the board. I like that the FO became pro-active when they saw the late run on CBs(I think Pac-man is now a foregone conclusion). we can still get quality in the later Rounds in the secondary.

Taylor Mays, Darrelle Stuckey, Kam Chancellor, Donovan Warren(very underrated prospect), Owusu-Ansah, Chris Cook and Brandon Ghee will prolly be gone but one may slip, Jerome Murphy, Domonick Franks, Myron Rolle, Chad Jones, Larry Asante, Barry Church, and Rashad Jones...atleast 2 of these guys will be available for us later. I even consider Wade and Houston as draft picks plus we're getting Bullocks back. Lets see what we can pull off today

April 23rd, 2010, 10:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next