View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 26th, 2014, 11:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Draft Day Thread 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Draft Day Thread
Ideally, McGee or Mays would fall to us at the top of the third... but since that isn't likely I'd love to see them move up from 3 or 4 to the mid second to nab a guy who's falling by packaging a 7th or so. I'd have no problems with them giving a 3rd and a 7th for a 2nd and a 4th and two sevenths for a second. We can sign young undrafted camp fodder instead of drafting them in the 7th.

April 23rd, 2010, 10:58 am
Team MVP

I never thought id say this, but if Mays falls to us in the third, I just might say "take him". Depends who's there of course.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 23rd, 2010, 11:15 am
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:
I never thought id say this, but if Mays falls to us in the third, I just might say "take him". Depends who's there of course.

I can't imagine someone better than Mays being there in the third...

April 23rd, 2010, 11:17 am
RIP Killer

Anyone think it is a kick in the balls to have your former coach select a different S after talking you up for 4 years and convincing you to come back?

April 23rd, 2010, 11:18 am
Team MVP

steensn wrote:
Anyone think it is a kick in the balls to have your former coach select a different S after talking you up for 4 years and convincing you to come back?

Im not understanding..

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

April 23rd, 2010, 11:29 am
Red Shirt Freshman

kdsberman wrote:
steensn wrote:

Im not understanding..

Pete Carroll selected Earl Thomas instead of Taylor Mays. Taylor Mays is still on the board.

April 23rd, 2010, 11:36 am
Team MVP

Lionfanatic wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
steensn wrote:

Im not understanding..

Pete Carroll selected Earl Thomas instead of Taylor Mays. Taylor Mays is still on the board.

Ooooooohhhh Yyyyaaaaaaa. Good point. Only an idiot would take Mays over Thomas.

April 23rd, 2010, 11:42 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Its a need issue. Seattle had only 2 safeties on their roster and Free Safety was an immediate need, not Strong Safety which Mays is. He's not a coverage safety, he's the wood laying type. He'll be picked up by someone and be potent against the run and receivers coming across the middle. But those looking for interceptions are looking in the wrong place.

April 23rd, 2010, 11:44 am
RIP Killer

I know there are good reasons why. I'd never pick Mays over Thomas... but it can't feel good...

April 23rd, 2010, 11:48 am
QB Coach

Post Re: Draft Grades/Winners and Losers
Wasnt sure where to put this, but it's a draft question so here goes:

What is the feasibility of trading Stanton, and one maybe two 7th round picks to Buffalo, so we can pick up Saffold or the other guy?

This fills Buffalo's need for a Qb, and they would also have picks to sweeten the deal.

Please be gentle as I don't fully grasp the whole picks and trade value stuff, I just know that we have, and they need, and it could be a mutual assist.

Thanks.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

April 23rd, 2010, 12:01 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Draft Grades/Winners and Losers
DevilDoc wrote:
Wasnt sure where to put this, but it's a draft question so here goes:

What is the feasibility of trading Stanton, and one maybe two 7th round picks to Buffalo, so we can pick up Saffold or the other guy?

This fills Buffalo's need for a Qb, and they would also have picks to sweeten the deal.

Please be gentle as I don't fully grasp the whole picks and trade value stuff, I just know that we have, and they need, and it could be a mutual assist.

Thanks.

I wouldn't think Stanton is worth anything to be honest. He has one year left on his contract, the Lions gave him a shot, he didn't win out, and he is sitting at the number 3 QB spot. I don't really have any hopes of getting anything but a 7th if some team REALLY liked him...

April 23rd, 2010, 12:13 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I hate the fact that we have to wait until 6 PM for the draft to start again. I miss the noon and 11 AM starts. :(

I know that #66 is a long ways away and Mayhew could still wheel and deal, but I'm going to predict that their next pick will be CB Brandon Ghee.

April 23rd, 2010, 12:14 pm
RIP Killer

slybri19 wrote:
I hate the fact that we have to wait until 6 PM for the draft to start again. I miss the noon and 11 AM starts. :(

I know that #66 is a long ways away and Mayhew could still wheel and deal, but I'm going to predict that their next pick will be CB Brandon Ghee.

My prediction as well. I think we get him at 66 or sooner.

April 23rd, 2010, 12:20 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I hope teams quit giving picks to N.E.

April 23rd, 2010, 12:23 pm
RIP Killer

theAlphaMale wrote:
m2k...the Jets are loaded at CB but they took Wilson. Indy loves having multiple backs and especially one with very good hands.

Interesting that you bring this up. Jets, Pats and Saints are all playoff teams. All have needs at pass rusher, and all have pretty good starters at the corners. Yet, they all took a CB over a pass rusher in this draft. I find that VERY interesting ..... particularly given that most folks I talk to think that getting a pass rusher is more important than a coverage guy for the Lions. It seems playoff teams don't feel that way. In regards to Indy, they DO have multiple backs, and all of them can catch. The chance of them taking Best was very minimal, in my opinion.
theAlphaMale wrote:
I guess I understand it if you lament the pick itself but to me the trade up if they love the guy was not very exspensive IMO. Those are kind of 2 different topics.

I do lament the pick itself. I didn't want the Lions to take Best at the #34 pick, let alone higher. He's not durable, at all. He never played one full season in college without missing time due to injury. Also, look at his numbers against some of the better teams. They suck. The majority of his yardage didn't come against good teams. It is my opinion that you don't burn a pick on a RB in the first round who A) isn't big enough to carry the rock 20-25 times per game and be a full service back, and B) isn't durable enough to be considered a full service back regardless of size. There are other backs available later on that have that size and durability, and don't have the injury history that Best has. I could care less if he ran a 4.35. That means nothing unless he's in the open field. And his 4.35 does the team no good on the sidelines. I'd rather the Lions would have waited. They already have a fast change of pace back in Aaron Brown.
theAlphaMale wrote:
On Drafting an RB -
Who here feels that Kevin Smith is good enough to be our feature back, please raise your hand?

Who here wants to pay a high price for a 30 yr old + vet for RB, raise your hand?

We have tried the RB in the third round trick and it hasn't worked. And without a running game our young QB is pretty limited to what he is going to do and Calvin will have little db's hanging all over his arms. You have to be able to run.

We tried a RB in the first round without an injury history (Kevin Jones) as well, did that work? Funny, but some teams have backs starting or contributing for them that were third round picks. Shonn Greene? Jamaal Charles? How about a fifth round starter in Michael Turner? Or should we look at UDFA, like a Pierre Thomas? I definitely know that Kevin Smith is not "the guy" for the Lions. But is Best going to be, behind this offensive line? I don't think so.
theAlphaMale wrote:
Whether this is the guy or not is debatable but the need is definately there for a starting RB.

Agreed. But Best isn't the guy, in my opinion. We could have gotten a starting quality RB later, like a Tate, Gerhart, Anthony Dixon.......
My viewpoint is that the Lions need someone who can break tackles and wear down defenses rather than a "dazzle" type speed guy without the size to break tackles.
theAlphaMale wrote:
On trading up -
Assuming it was a need and assuming Best was the top rated guy on their board then I do not think they gave up anything significant. They may have looked at CB or OL and saw they have plenty of guys that they covet that will be available in the 3rd and beyond. I don't know...

As mentioned before, it's not about what they gave up. For me, it's the fact they gave up anything at all for a guy who was likely to drop to them. And, of course, I don't think he's gonna be all that for this team, as it stands right now.

theAlphaMale wrote:
I have heard that both the Colts and the Saints were interested in Best so I don't feel it was a reach value-wise either. This guy can move and catch and to me has the highest upside of any back in the draft. The only argument I see as valid is if we miss out on some super prospect that goes at 100-120ish which is only something you can know a year from now anyways.

I don't believe for a second that Indy or New Orleans was taking Best for the reasons I cited above. I heard Washington was interested in Clausen, and that Jacksonville wanted Tebow with the 10th pick. None of that happened.

theAlphaMale wrote:
We have picked plenty of defensive guys with that 2nd round pick that people were stoked about and most of them are long gone. The draft is a pure gamble so I think you go with people that have the highest ceiling for that gamble to impact the team.

Those were Millen picks, so most all of them are gone. Delmas was a second round defensive pick, how you feelin' about him? Was that a mistake?
I agree, the draft IS a pure gamble. And the fact is, you occasionally have to gamble on the player you're targeting not being there and have a backup plan.

My whole point is, Jahvid Best is not what I consider to be a first round player. He has first round talent, no doubt. But his injury history is of a MAJOR concern to me, and should have been to this team, particularly given that they just had a player retire due to concussion concerns. Also, the secondary on this team has been ignored for over a decade.....yes, a DECADE. This team was LAST in pass defense for three years running. While getting players like Suh, KVB and Corey Williams will help the rush, it won't help the coverage. Pass rush can be overcome easily if the coverage sucks. Teams did it last season, and I suspect they'll do it this season again. If there is a run on corners in round two, the Lions are screwed.
While you may feel our running game was bad, our pass defense has been much worse for a much longer time. And once other teams get in the lead, your running game does you no good because you are forced to pass to catch up. It's exactly why players like Brady Quinn looked like All Stars against us last season. Just about every team we faced last year, their quarterbacks had their best game against the Lions. In the end, it is my opinion that if the Lions were going to move up, it should have been to stock the secondary. There is a better selection of running backs with value later in this draft than cornerbacks. Again, my opinion.

April 23rd, 2010, 12:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next