HARD HITTING DETROIT LIONS FORUM
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/

Lions 1st round pick from the 2011 draft? Maybe.
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13484
Page 4 of 4

Author:  Wayne Fontes [ October 27th, 2010, 3:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions 1st round pick from the 2011 draft? Maybe.

If Peterson is gone by the time the Lions pick I won't be heartbroken since Amukamara will probably still be there. It's hard to gauge a lot of "shutdown" corners, especially in college for a few reasons. 1) a lot of schools are a lot more run oriented than pass oriented, thus, not giving a true shutdown corner a chance to shine and 2) when they do throw the ball, there aren't that many good QB's out there that will take a shot at a guy who has a reputation for being such a good cover corner. They would much rather throw away from him. That's why a lot of these guys don't have huge INT numbers their jr/sr year.

What I've noticed about Peterson in the few games I've seen them play is that he's got good ball skills and some pretty good speed. I didn't like what I saw in "run support" but in true shutdown corner aka defensive diva's fashion, he didn't provide much in run support. Granted, the LSU D is pretty damn good and doesn't necessarily need a whole lot of run support from the CB's.

I do love his return ability though...

Author:  Pablo [ October 27th, 2010, 4:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions 1st round pick from the 2011 draft? Maybe.

Good points. I watched him again last night as I taped the Auburn game and truthfully they just don't throw at him. My biggest disappointment is that given his physical traits, I'd like to really see him be aggressive to the ball.

His return skills don't mean much to me because I really don't want to see a starting corner returning kicks and we have Logan already.

Their will be a lot of big corners available at the top of the draft (first 2-3 rounds).

Author:  Wayne Fontes [ October 27th, 2010, 4:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions 1st round pick from the 2011 draft? Maybe.

Yeah, but look what Dez Bryants doing in Dallas. He makes punters think twice about kicking to him, at least they should be now. I like Logan, but he's strictly a returner, and having Peterson would free up a spot to add depth at LB, which is obviously lacking.

Author:  Pablo [ October 27th, 2010, 4:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions 1st round pick from the 2011 draft? Maybe.

Wayne Fontes wrote:
Yeah, but look what Dez Bryants doing in Dallas. He makes punters think twice about kicking to him, at least they should be now. I like Logan, but he's strictly a returner, and having Peterson would free up a spot to add depth at LB, which is obviously lacking.


Honestly, I'm not all that impressed with his return skills. He is fast, but not shifty or all that powerful, and his speed combined with LSU's blocking makes him a dangerous return man. Dez Bryant is a much better returner and right now is the 3rd WR in Dallas (and 4th option when you throw in Witten), not as valuable as your #1 shutdown corner.

Author:  Pablo [ November 9th, 2010, 5:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions 1st round pick from the 2011 draft? Maybe.

BTW - watched the first half of the Alabama game this week, have the second half on TiVo still. Again, not that impressed. He was on NFL prospect WR Julio Jones who had 10 catches for 89 yards and a TD. The first TD, scored by Trent Richardson was on a play when Trent beat Peterson as well.

Certainly not a Revis on CJ type performance...

Author:  vankman79 [ November 10th, 2010, 3:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions 1st round pick from the 2011 draft? Maybe.

1st rd: Patrick Peterson cb LSU
2nd rd: Rahim Moore s UCLA
3rd rd: greg jones lb MSU

wishfull thinking anyway [-o<

Author:  kdsberman [ November 10th, 2010, 6:09 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions 1st round pick from the 2011 draft? Maybe.

Pablo wrote:
BTW - watched the first half of the Alabama game this week, have the second half on TiVo still. Again, not that impressed. He was on NFL prospect WR Julio Jones who had 10 catches for 89 yards and a TD. The first TD, scored by Trent Richardson was on a play when Trent beat Peterson as well.

Certainly not a Revis on CJ type performance...



Watche that game and thought the same thing.

Always there for the tackle, but doesnt really matter when they are big gains.

Author:  liontrax [ November 10th, 2010, 10:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions 1st round pick from the 2011 draft? Maybe.

kdsberman wrote:
Pablo wrote:
BTW - watched the first half of the Alabama game this week, have the second half on TiVo still. Again, not that impressed. He was on NFL prospect WR Julio Jones who had 10 catches for 89 yards and a TD. The first TD, scored by Trent Richardson was on a play when Trent beat Peterson as well.

Certainly not a Revis on CJ type performance...



Watche that game and thought the same thing.

Always there for the tackle, but doesnt really matter when they are big gains.



Watched it as well, good player, not great player. As much as I would like to see the Lions improve the secondary, I think the addition of LB's are more pressing need.

Author:  mwill2 [ November 10th, 2010, 2:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions 1st round pick from the 2011 draft? Maybe.

Has anybody seen Akeem Ayers play this year? I've just seen the measurables and few highlight clips. He's got great size at OLB and could be either a round 1 or round 2 pick.

Author:  LionsFan4Life [ November 10th, 2010, 2:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions 1st round pick from the 2011 draft? Maybe.

mwill2 wrote:
Has anybody seen Akeem Ayers play this year? I've just seen the measurables and few highlight clips. He's got great size at OLB and could be either a round 1 or round 2 pick.


Yes, I saw him destroy Texas's offense. The guy was all over the field and I was impressed with his performance in that game.

Author:  m2karateman [ November 10th, 2010, 10:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions 1st round pick from the 2011 draft? Maybe.

I thought I'd post this in here, as a reminder.

The Lions, as of right now, have no 7th round picks in the 2011 draft.

Why?

Well, they got a sixth round pick from Philly in a 2010 draft day trade. However, we also traded a sixth round pick to Seattle for DE Lawrence Jackson. So we break even there, but I think that was a good pickup for the price.

However, in the seventh round was picked up a pick for that Kevin O'Connell deal that sent him to the Jets after we picked him off the waiver wire from the Pats. Nice move. However, we traded a seventh rounder to San Fran for Shaun Hill (smokin' great deal), and the Falcons are due a conditional seventh rounder for Chris Houston (ABSOLUTE highway robbery....I'll give seventh rounders ALL DAY for a starting caliber CB in the NFL).

In the coming draft, I don't see that there will be too much talent beyond round four. The pool isn't very deep, and not all that impressive at the top either.

Author:  njroar [ November 11th, 2010, 12:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions 1st round pick from the 2011 draft? Maybe.

Yeah, Mayhew has robbed teams on players stuck in the wrong systems. I was hoping to steal DJ from KC in the off season, but with him inking a new deal you can forget that. The offseason is much more exciting now with Mayhew as we have much more than just the draft to watch.

With the lack of a deep draft, I wonder if this is the year we package a few picks to really go after certain players in the early rounds, or trade back to pick up more picks next year.

Author:  thelomasbrowns [ November 11th, 2010, 2:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions 1st round pick from the 2011 draft? Maybe.

njroar wrote:
With the lack of a deep draft, I wonder if this is the year we package a few picks to really go after certain players in the early rounds, or trade back to pick up more picks next year.


I could be wrong, but I don't think GM's really consider whether the draft itself is historically 'strong' or 'weak' and make decisions based on that. I think it's all about the individual players and how they feel about them.

Author:  liontrax [ November 18th, 2010, 8:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lions 1st round pick from the 2011 draft? Maybe.

LionsFan4Life wrote:
mwill2 wrote:
Has anybody seen Akeem Ayers play this year? I've just seen the measurables and few highlight clips. He's got great size at OLB and could be either a round 1 or round 2 pick.


Yes, I saw him destroy Texas's offense. The guy was all over the field and I was impressed with his performance in that game.


Speaking of Ayers, UCLA plays Washington tonight at 8 on espn. Great chance to see Ayers and safety Rahim Moore of UCLA, and LB Mason Foster of Washington.

Page 4 of 4 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/