View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 28th, 2014, 5:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Munoz quits football 
RIP Killer

Post Munoz quits football
Vols Offensive Tackle Munoz Quits Football
23 minutes ago
By ELIZABETH A. DAVIS, AP Sports Writer

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - Tennessee offensive tackle Michael Munoz decided to quit football after he was not chosen in the NFL draft over the weekend, his father, NFL Hall of Famer Anthony Munoz said Monday.

The All-American started 46 games in his career despite injuries, including a torn rotator cuff that ended his senior year before the Southeastern Conference championship game in December.

Anthony Munoz said his son has not yet decided what he plans to do now.

"When you're not drafted, I think that's a pretty clear indication as Michael has said," Anthony Munoz told The Associated Press. "He'll tell you one door was closed and there's four or five other doors being opened at the same time. It's kind of a divine intervention here."

Michael Munoz, visiting with his family in Ohio, declined to be interviewed by telephone.

He told WNOX radio in Knoxville he is ready to move on.

"I had fun playing football. But I never found my identify playing football," he said. "Football isn't who I am. I knew the day would come when I'd have to walk away from the sport and I'm fine with that. Some people are so wrapped up in it they can't walk away because that's who they are. It's time to make a clean break."

Anthony Munoz believes injuries hurt his son's chances.

Munoz, a team captain for two seasons, had to redshirt his second year at Tennessee because of a knee injury. He has missed some games with other injuries and played through pain at times.

"We were totally shocked that he did not get drafted. He started four years at Tennessee," Anthony Munoz said. "Knowing as many people in the NFL as I do, there was no inkling that that was going to happen."

Anthony Munoz, also an offensive tackle, was the Cincinnati Bengals' No. 1 pick in the 1980 draft.

Michael Munoz was one of the most highly regarded recruits in the country coming out of high school.

April 25th, 2005, 1:53 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I thought he was overrated. I saw him play aginst Miami his Jr year and he got rocked. But I thought someone would give him a shot, Just because of his dad.

April 25th, 2005, 3:10 pm
Modmin Dude

I find it yhard to believe that after playing football for so long that he just up and quits the day after not being drafted. I mean heck, someone could've give him a shot as an undrafted FA. Seems to me that he didn't really want to play in the NFL. Maybe daddy was puching him a little :wink:

8)

April 25th, 2005, 3:15 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

The Munoz family is a very Christian Family. They are extremely positive. good natured people. Michael's attitude about being able to walk away from football doesn't surprise me at all. He has his degree, he will be a sucess no matter what. I wish him the best of luck. :D

April 25th, 2005, 6:30 pm
Hall of Fame Player

It's really to bad. His dad was incredible and it would have been nice to see him have some success in the NFL too.

April 25th, 2005, 7:26 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]