View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 26th, 2014, 5:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 2011 draft, need CBs and LBs, but soon OL needs rebuilding 
Div 1 - Starter

Post 2011 draft, need CBs and LBs, but soon OL needs rebuilding
While thinking about next year's draft, I figured that it's obvious that we'll need cornerbacks and linebackers, and preferably a first round cornerback. And then a thought occurred to me. Will the Lions be able to focus solely on acquiring cornerbacks and linebackers, or will the Lions also need to draft offensive linemen high to begin revamping the offensive line? Gosder is looking like a hoser at right tackle, giving us a hole to fill, and Backus and Raiola aren't getting any younger.

Potentially, we might need or want to get:

1 Left Tackle
1 Right Tackle
1 Center
2 Cornerbacks
2 Linebackers

Would this throw a monkey wrench into the team's rebuilding project?

August 30th, 2010, 12:07 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: 2011 draft, need CBs and LBs, but soon OL needs rebuildi
Good topic, just moved it to the Draft Section.

I really think that we can get buy with who we have at OL for a few more years. Our CB and LB spots are much more in dire need of repair that we just cannot wait any longer.

August 30th, 2010, 12:15 pm
Varsity Captain

Too early to tell. We need to see who survives training camp and the season first. Then it will depend on what they do in early FA. Thats assuming that there is football next year.

August 30th, 2010, 12:32 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

If the Lions do not select a CB in one of the first two rounds of the next draft, I will not be a happy camper. Just saying.

August 30th, 2010, 12:49 pm
Div 1 - Starter

I think the focus has to be on cornerbacks. It might even be justified to draft two cornerbacks in the first and second rounds. Then we could get a linebacker in the third round. After that I guess they'd have to consider taking the BPA of linebacker, cornerback, and offensive line.

I think it might be wise to try to draft one OL to eventually replace a player at one of those three spots on the offensive line, but the need at cornerback and now linebacker is so huge, I just can't see them doing anything with those high picks other than taking cornerbacks and linebackers.

Of course, as Lions luck would have it, Stafford or Best will probably suffer a career ending injury and we'll be looking to draft a running back or quarterback in the first round.

August 30th, 2010, 1:11 pm
RIP Killer

I think we need to do what the Saints did... t hey just went after CB's and hoped a few worked out. Now it is their strong-suit where as before it was their weakness.

August 30th, 2010, 1:16 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Growler wrote:

Potentially, we might need or want to get:

1 Left Tackle
1 Right Tackle
1 Center
2 Cornerbacks
2 Linebackers

Would this throw a monkey wrench into the team's rebuilding project?

Millen threw that monkey wrench a long time ago :angry:

Its kind of pathetic that we need a right tackle already and yes at some point Backus, Raiola, and Petereson will need to be replaced. We deperately do need a couple of young stud CBs and a LB if not now in the near future. Hopefully, some of this can be resolve through free agency and trades, it would be extremely difficult to achieve all of this in one draft. Hopefully, Jason Fox pans out and eliminates one of these needs.

August 30th, 2010, 2:26 pm
RIP Killer

It would be nice to see Fox work out.

August 30th, 2010, 2:33 pm
RIP Killer

Fox has looked to be one of the worse guys on the line so far.

Isn't JP a FA at the end of the year?

I believe that Follett won't be a starter next season.

Currently, I go:
1) LT
2) CB
3) LB
4) DE
5) C
6) LB
7) CB

August 30th, 2010, 2:48 pm
RIP Killer

I think Fox will work out as a RT or LT in time. He was pretty solid at the U and was able to play most of last season with a bad knee, with little loss in ability.

Gosder has to go. I haven't been impressed with him this season so far, although the coaches keep saying that he's made strides. If he can't beat out Jansen this season for the starting spot, the Lions should cut him loose this year so that they can take the hit without a cap concern.

The Lions needs for 2011 are entirely on the shoulders of the players who will be tagged as starters this season. If Houston and Wade can play decently, suddenly the needs at CB diminish somewhat and the team can concentrate on other defensive needs at linebacker.

We'll see if Levy can stay healthy and if Follet can succeed as a starter. One thing I know, JPeterson is probably in his last season here, so the Lions are going to have to replace him.

Our offensive skill positions seem to be set, but I agree that it's time to start thinking about the replacements for Backus and Raiola. If the Lions can get a premier LT in the next draft, wherever they are drafting in the first round, it needs to be strongly considered. It's a premium position and worth the pick.

August 30th, 2010, 2:50 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Peterson is probably gone after this season so im thinking we need to get some linebackers (notice i said some not 1) im not sold on levy playing middle linebacker. we could really use a dominant guy in the middle move levy back to weak side and get a replacement for jp. maybe we could extend him a year to mentor his replacement. But we are in bad need of a shut down corner. but i feel that the lions are commiting to stopping the run, so a lb would be a higher priority. but as far as im concerned they can just draft 2 lbs and 2 cbs in top 4 rds unlesss they can make a splash in free agency again and that would totally change things.

August 30th, 2010, 10:00 pm
QB Coach

I think Houston would be great as a number two corner so I think a number one corner is still our biggest concern. If we can get that number one guy, then 3/4 of our secondary is set. And with all the safeties we have on the roster, hopefully one pans out next to Delmas.

After corner we need at least one new starting LB whether we have to upgrade at starter from Follett or replace Peterson. He still has one or two more years on his contract, but will he still be producing is the question. I like Follett and I would really like to see him hold down his spot, but right now I just don't see it. He can be quality depth and a good spot starter, and if he proves to be more than that during the season, that's one more spot we don't have to worry about.

If we take at least one CB and one LB in the first three rounds I'll be happy.

August 30th, 2010, 10:12 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

I wouldn't be surprised to see them address corner in FA, and draft BPA on defense again. LB will probably be bigger focus then CB and that's just from watching the history of Tennessee. Schwartz only had one 1st round CB in eight seasons and that was Pac Man. He's always grabbed physical corners and a lot like our defense now, they gave up the pass, but they buckled down as you got closer to the endzone and just limited scoring. Difference is the Titans didn't have our offense.

There's no question our biggest need is at corner, but I think we'll see BPA until we have some more depth on the team. They're still grabbing talent off the waiver wire on a stacked DL. That tells me that talent is still our biggest need over a specific position. If corner is the BPA when we pick (my guess between 16-25), then it might play out that way, but I think LB would end up being higher on the scale. It could end up being DE.

August 31st, 2010, 12:37 am
Player of the Year - Defense

The Lions are not to the point where they can go draft purely on need. I don't believe that any team should ever fully adopt that strategy, but particularly the Lions shouldn't, as talent strapped as they are. Yes, it looks like they finally have some decent starters, but they have no depth to speak of.

Going into the first round, they ought to take the best player available from the following positions:

OT (Gosder is a probable bust, Backus is old)
OG (Peterson is nothing special, Sims is probably not either)
OC (Raiola is 31 years old)
CB (obvious)
S (Delmas needs someone opposite of him)
LB (obvious)
DE (KVB is also 31 years old)

even *gasp*
WR (Assuming that an amazing talent falls to them and Burleson proves to be an incapable #2)
RB (This is a multi-back league now, especially with the soon-to-be extended schedule, and if a great power back is there, why not create a Detroit Lions Thunder&Lightning combo?)

So that's pretty much all of the positions.

Yes, they need to address the hole at CB. But they could do it via FA or trade. Taking the best corner available with their first pick could land them the equivalent of Gosder, and we've seen how that's turned out.

August 31st, 2010, 4:43 am
Div 1 - Starter

well lets look at positions that we have depth at. I believe we have depth at wr, te, rb, dt, de, qb, and as much as you are all are going to question it also at offensive tackle. Fox is coming off a knee injury and could develope into a nice tackle, hilliard is making a statement to possibly knock jansen off the roster, and with gosder and backus that is 4 tackles on the depth chart right there. I am also going to say we are ok at safety too if randy phillips is playing as well as he is right now he is only going to get better. and with spievey and cc brown that pretty well locks up the safety position. Now lets look at needs. we could use players at guard, center, linebacker, and cornerback.

August 31st, 2010, 12:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next