View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 22nd, 2014, 3:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 2009 Draft Class Sucked...Goose 
RIP Killer

Post 2009 Draft Class Sucked...Goose
Makes Mayhew & Co. 2009 selections look even better...

From my Dallas Morning News today

Goose wrote:
The poor NFL draft of 2009 is proving to be in a class by itself

You can debate the best NFL draft well into the night. The 1964 draft produced a record 10 Hall of Famers, the 1974 draft paved the way for a Pittsburgh dynasty, and the 1983 draft gave the NFL an unprecedented class of quarterbacks.

But the worst draft ever? There’s no need to debate that one. The 2009 draft is swiftly moving into a class of its own.

The NFL has played only 17 games since conducting the 2009 draft and already a third of that class has been waived, traded or retired. Of the 257 selections in 2009, 85 are already off the rosters of the drafting teams – a stunning 33.1 percent.

The first three rounds are considered a draft’s premium rounds. Those are the picks each team uses to build the core of its starting lineup. All 100 players selected in those first three rounds of the 2009 draft held onto their roster spots last season.

But 12 of those players (four second-rounders and eight thirds) didn’t survive in 2010. Denver traded CB Alphonso Smith to Detroit, and Arizona (LB Cody) Brown), Cleveland (LB David Veikune), Miami (QB Pat White) all released second-rounders to account for those four departures.

The Chicago Bears cut both of their third-rounders (DT Jarron Gilbert and WR Juaguin Iglesius) and the New England Patriots waived a third-, fourth- and fifth-rounder. The Philadelphia Eagles released all three of their fifth-rounders and traded away a sixth.

The Eagles have already moved five of their eight 2009 draft picks off the roster, and the Steelers have released five of their nine. The Cincinnati Bengals also have released five of their 2009 draft picks.

Two safeties who were season-long starters as rookies – sixth-rounders Al Afalava of Chicago and Kevin Ellison of San Diego – were cut this summer. Sixth-rounder Keith Null started four games at quarterback for the St. Louis Rams last season. He also was released this summer. Third-round RB Glen Coffee of the San Francisco 49ers retired after one season.

NFL teams have released 19 fifth-rounders, 19 sixths and 27 seventh-rounders from the 2009 draft. Three other players from that draft opened the 2010 season under NFL suspension for the use of performance-enhancing drugs: LB Brian Cushing of Houston, L Gerald McRath of Tennessee and TE Shawn Nelson of Buffalo.

Two teams did beat the odds in 2009 and come away with superb drafts – the Houston Texans and Detroit Lions.

The Texans still have all eight of their 2009 draft picks on the 2010 roster, and the Lions still have eight of their 10 selections. Five of the eight were 2010 opening-day starters for Detroit.
Three start for Houston.

Lions picks:

Round 1, Pick 1 (1) Matthew Stafford QB 6'2" 225 Georgia
Round 1, Pick 20 (20) Brandon Pettigrew TE 6'5" 263 Oklahoma State
Round 2, Pick 1 (33) Louis Delmas S 6'0" 202 Western Michigan
Round 3, Pick 12 (76) DeAndre Levy OLB 6'2" 236 Wisconsin
Round 3, Pick 18 (82) Derrick Williams WR 6'0" 194 Penn State
Round 4, Pick 15 (115) Sammie Lee Hill DT 6'4" 329 Stillman
Round 6, Pick 19 (192) Aaron Brown RB 6'1" 196 TCU
Round 7, Pick 19 (228) Lydon Murtha OT 6'7" 306 Nebraska
Round 7, Pick 26 (235) Zack Follett OLB 6'2" 236 California
Round 7, Pick 46 (255) Dan Gronkowski TE 6'6" 255 Maryland

Only Murtha and Gronkowski are no longer on the roster. Murtha is on the Fins roster while Gronkowski was traded to the Broncos for Alphonso Smith. Pretty impressive when taken in context...

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

September 17th, 2010, 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Post Re: 2009 Draft Class Sucked...Goose
wow... impressive considering...

September 17th, 2010, 1:45 pm
RIP Killer

Just an FYI - but Pat White signed a baseball deal. Forgot who, but he's no longer interested in playing football apparently.

September 17th, 2010, 2:38 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

conversion02 wrote:
Just an FYI - but Pat White signed a baseball deal. Forgot who, but he's no longer interested in playing football apparently.

Not 100% sure but I believe it was with the KC Royals. Good for him, I didn't realize he was that good at baseball and at least he has something to fall back on.

September 19th, 2010, 11:10 am
RIP Killer

you're right, just checked mlbtraderumors

wow, can't believe he didn't try to get another gig since the running QB is apparently the new trend according to guys like Kirwan.

September 19th, 2010, 1:57 pm
conversion02 wrote:
you're right, just checked mlbtraderumors

wow, can't believe he didn't try to get another gig since the running QB is apparently the new trend according to guys like Kirwan.

I would imagine that it comes down to cash and career longevity. Baseball players make more and get injured less (and their contracts are guaranteed) than NFL players.

September 20th, 2010, 10:14 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

conversion02 wrote:

I can give a little background on this as a WVU fan. Pat White was drafted by the Angels at the end of his senior year of high school but decided to play college football instead--he wanted to be a QB. He was drafted by a pro baseball team at least once during his college FB career (Yankees, I think), and again last year after he graduated. Playing QB is his first love, baseball is his second. When the Dolphins asked him to learn the WR position, he figured he'd rather play baseball.

I thought if he was given time to develop and learn a system as a backup, he could have a good career as a QB but that apparently wasn't in the cards for him. Hopefully his baseball career is a successful one.

September 23rd, 2010, 10:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]