View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 3:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Tracking the Lions' 2011 Draft Order 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Tracking the Lions' 2011 Draft Order
Hey, I was just reflecting back to the last Badger O-lineman we had. I wasn't saying that Carimi would or wouldn't be like him.

December 27th, 2010, 11:03 pm
Div 1 - Starter

i think akeem ayers is looking to be the pick and i think they can still get greg jones later on. that would shore up the front 7, maybe they resign houston and find a solid #1 cb in free agency. its hard to say what may happen picking this far back.

December 28th, 2010, 4:59 am
Player of the Year - Defense

If they can't get Bowers, Peterson or Price A., because they pick around 10, I'd strongly prefer if they tried trading back into the high 20s and picked up an extra 2nd rounder. Then they could draft say Mike Pouncey with their 1rst rounder and grab Greg Jones and some corner like Dowling in the second.

December 28th, 2010, 6:12 am
RIP Killer

Blueskies wrote:
If they can't get Bowers, Peterson or Price A., because they pick around 10, I'd strongly prefer if they tried trading back into the high 20s and picked up an extra 2nd rounder. Then they could draft say Mike Pouncey with their 1rst rounder and grab Greg Jones and some corner like Dowling in the second.

Mike Pouncey in the first round? He's not likely to go that high, because he's not quite that good. Mid-second round would be better. I'd prefer to see them grab Brandon Harris at their 10th pick, as I think he's going to be a pretty good pro corner. He may not get the press that Peterson and Akumara get, or be quite as good as them, but he'd be better than any corner on our roster right now, including Chris Houston.

December 28th, 2010, 10:53 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
Well, every one of them pretty much don't see any franchise LT's this year. And I am down right nervous about taking a LT from Wisconsin after what's his face ate himself out of the league on us. Can't remember his name now. That's how unimpressive he was. Andre Gibson?

BillySims wrote:
Hey, I was just reflecting back to the last Badger O-lineman we had. I wasn't saying that Carimi would or wouldn't be like him.

Sorry Billy, but that sounds like more than just "reflection", so I can understand why you got the reaction you did.

And his name was Aaron Gibson. Gabe Carimi is nothing like him, at all.

December 28th, 2010, 11:01 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

m2karateman wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

Mike Pouncey in the first round? He's not likely to go that high, because he's not quite that good. Mid-second round would be better. I'd prefer to see them grab Brandon Harris at their 10th pick, as I think he's going to be a pretty good pro corner. He may not get the press that Peterson and Akumara get, or be quite as good as them, but he'd be better than any corner on our roster right now, including Chris Houston.

From everything I've been reading Pouncey has struggled playing center this year, and is better suited to guard, and he may not be the top rated guard. That's 2nd to 3rd round territory.

If Tenn, Wash, and Dallas all lose, after we beat the Vikes we could be looking at the 14th pick with our 1st selection. If Harris is still there and the Lions are thinking CB, I'd have no problem with that selection. Just think it's way too early to say who's going to be the top rated players.
As always, I'm in favor of trading back no matter what our position.

December 28th, 2010, 12:52 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Yeah didntmeant to jump on ya Billy, but Gabe Carimi isnt like Gibs at all. Hes more like Joe Thomas, but projected as an RT.. which is fine by me.

Draft him at 10-12, let him compet with Cheerios and Hilliard at RT, then put 1 of them at RG and Peterman on the Bench as depth.

Between Carimi & Fox we might have both RT and LT covered.. although Cheerios has done better so its possible you end up with Carimi at LT within a season or two as Backus finally ends his tenure.

December 28th, 2010, 3:50 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Head Cheerleader

LB or CB I think has to be the first round pick. Drafting a OL with the first pick or any offensive player I think would be a mistake. The offense has been above average and the back 7 desperately needs upgraded. Trade down if the BPA is not on the defensive side of the ball.

December 28th, 2010, 5:41 pm
RIP Killer

overmier10 wrote:
LB or CB I think has to be the first round pick. Drafting a OL with the first pick or any offensive player I think would be a mistake. The offense has been above average and the back 7 desperately needs upgraded. Trade down if the BPA is not on the defensive side of the ball.

A mistake? It all depends on the quality of the player. While I don't think the Lions need a skill position offensive player out of the first round, it wouldn't bother me if they take an offensive lineman of value with their first round pick. The Lions offensive line is not all that impressive, regardless of how many points they might be scoring. Check out the rushing stats....that's an indication of how poorly the line blocks, not of the lack of talent at RB. I'd prefer to see the Lions be able to run the ball and maintain some drives, controlling the clock and tempo of the game, and forcing the opposing defense to single cover Calvin once in a while. That only improves with better run blocking offensive lineman. Raiola and Backus are nearing their respective ends, and the Lions don't seem to have their heir apparents on the roster.

I agree that LB or CB are greater needs, I'm not disputing that. However, if there's no player of value at those positions where they pick in the first round, I'd prefer the Lions to look at the future of their offensive line.

December 28th, 2010, 7:28 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Here's the update:

1 Carolina 2-13 .575
2 Denver 4-11 .508
3 Cincinnati 4-11 .579
4 Buffalo 4-11 .583
5 Arizona 5-10 .458
6 San Francisco 5-10 .492
7 Dallas 5-10 .521
8 Houston 5-10 .525
9 Detroit 5-10 .550
10 Cleveland 5-10 .575
11 Seattle 6-9 .488
12 Tennessee 6-9 .504
13 Washington 6-9 .513
14 Minnesota 6-9 .542
15 New England (from Oakland) 7-8 .471
16 Miami 7-8 .538
17 Jacksonville 8-7 .450
18 San Diego 8-7 .458
19 New York Giants 9-6 .454
20 Tampa Bay 9-6 .479
*21 St. Louis 7-8 .442
*22 Indianapolis 9-6 .475
*23 Green Bay 9-6 .521
*24 Kansas City 10-5 .408
*25 Philadelphia 10-5 .483
*26 New York Jets 10-5 .496
*27 New Orleans 11-4 .463
*28 Chicago 11-4 .467
*29 Baltimore 11-4 .488
*30 Pittsburgh 11-4 .504
*31 Atlanta 12-3 .492
*32 New England 13-2 .504

December 29th, 2010, 1:27 am
Div 1 - Starter

DJ-B wrote:
Yeah didntmeant to jump on ya Billy, but Gabe Carimi isnt like Gibs at all. Hes more like Joe Thomas, but projected as an RT.. which is fine by me.

Draft him at 10-12, let him compet with Cheerios and Hilliard at RT, then put 1 of them at RG and Peterman on the Bench as depth.

Between Carimi & Fox we might have both RT and LT covered.. although Cheerios has done better so its possible you end up with Carimi at LT within a season or two as Backus finally ends his tenure.

you know hilliard has done a pretty nice job the last couple of weeks. i would have to say our tackles have not been the problem at all. its mainly raiola and peterman. raiola has to go.

December 29th, 2010, 4:04 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

OL:
i dont see hilliard becoming our left tackle. maybe a right tackle but i also dont see cherilus as a left tackle. raiola has had some issues at times particularly with 3-4 nose tackles but most centers do. but he s also played pretty well. i think as far as league centers go Dom is probably in the middle of the pack for his performance this season. peterman has been the weak link for most of the year but it could be that he was out with an injury and needs a full offseason to get back to strength. backus is far from a dominant player and thats what a LT is supposed to be, plus age will become a factor soon. based on that id rank the OL needs as RG>LT>C>LG>RT.

Draft posiion: looks like a win this week could put us in the no 14 slot in the draft which could give us a draft of (i had some extra time on my hands today)
I used ESPN and CBS to get an idea of who might be available where in the draft.

Rd1-10s: Akeem Ayers OLB UCLA
Julian Peterson will be gone both because of declining play and increased salary requirement. Ayers is a perfect replacement who is versatile, good in coverage, okay as a passrusher and does a decent job vs the run.
Rd2-40s: Orlando Franklin G Miami
This guy is a big time road grader inside and could compete with Peterman for a starting job at RG.
Rd3-70s: Ras I Dowling CB Virginia
Not quite Patrick Peterson but similar size and speed. Not quite as good of an athlete but a good find in Rd 3 who drops bc on an ankle fracture. Can play bump and run and has good ball skills. Might end up going higher depending on if he can participate in the combine. Would probably start over Alphonso Smith from the beginning.
Rd4-110s: KJ Wright OLB Mississippi State
Similar player to Ayers who has gotten less press. Projects as an OLB and could possibly be a starter as a rookie. Watch for him against Michigan on New Year's day.
Rd 5- 140s: Eric Hagg S Nebraska
Surprised that he is rated so low by scouts. Always seems to be around the ball the few times I ve watched Nebraska play this year and is particularly good in coverage. Not a big hitter vs the run but a decent tackler. Has 5 INT this seaso.
Rd 6- 170s: Denarius Moore WR Tennessee. Big play WR for Tennessee despite bad QB play. Has good speed and potentially could be a No 3 WR for us.
Rd 6- 180s: Chris L Rucker CB Michigan State. Another big corner to get to camp along with Dowling. I ve always thought he s been a good player for MSU and might have a shot to make the team next season.

Potential Lions Lineup:
QB Stafford, Hill, Stanton - (Do we resign Stanton? If so could we trade Hill for a draft pick or a MLB? Might be in market for a developmental 3rd QB to compete w Zak Robinson in camp)
RB Best, Morris, Smith, UDFA - (I think Morris and Smith are FA. Smith will be cheap bc of injuries but has shown enough to be a decent runner. Morris is a good all around player whether its on special teams, 3rd down back or as a primary runner) Dorel Scott from Maryland could be a potential UDFA to challenge A Brown.
FB Felton - his blocking has been much improved this season especially in the past few weeks. Needs to become a better power runner though.
LT Backus - Has been better late in the season. We need to find a replacement for him soon and if Jason Fox doesnt develop then we may be forced to use a 1st rounder in 2012.
LG Sims - has been okay this year. Kind of slowed down here in the latter parts of the season.
C Raiola - will need to draft a player probably in 2012 to groom for 2013 but Dom isnt as bad as most of us think (me included) when you compare him to centers around the league.
RG - Orlando Franklin (rookie) - 2nd rounder beats out Peterman and can help Raiola handle some of the bigger DTs in the league. Peterman will be around to compete though bc Franklin's not raking in much as a 2nd rd pick.
RT - Corey Hilliard (Not quite as good as Cherilus but might get better with experience and seems to be less penalized. Use Cherilus as trade bait and let Jason Fox develop by being the main backup in 2011.)
TE - Pettigrew, Scheffler, Heller
WRs - Calvin, Burleson, FA - No 3 WR, Denarius Moore, Derrick Williams vs Tim Toone. Williams gets his last shot with the team but Moore beats him out. We ll need to sign a reliable No 3 WR. Steve Breaston as others have mentioned would be more than adequate and would eventually replace Burleson.
K - Hanson. Has Rayner done enough to replace Hanson? Nah, Hanson is stil one of the best.

DE - KVB/LoJack - KVB is a great all around DE who sets the tone for the Lions defensive personality with his hustle and aggressivess. LoJack has been a nice surprise and looks like he could be a 3 down player.
DT - C Williams/Hill - Williams has been very good minus the offsides and finger pointing at A Smith. Hill could step in and start whenever Williams declines.
DT - Suh/FA - Fluellen can finally commit to being a DT rather than a T/E hybrid and if he does might make the team but his spot will be open for competition.
DE - Avril/McBride - these two are similar players but Avril has better speed. I dont see Willie Young cracking the rotation bc the guys above him are better and the same age.
SLB - Akeem Ayers/Ashlee Palmer - Ayers will start from day 1. Palmer is good against the run but not so much in coverage. He is a big hitter who will make the team and contribue on special teams.
MLB - DeAndre Levy/Jordon Dizon - The Lions will roll the dice on Levy improving with experience and with health. He was a good player as an OLB as a rookie but I just filled those spots in the draft. Dizon looked improved in the preseason before his injury and can help on coverage downs.
WLB - Bobby Carpenter/Landon Johnson/KJ Wright - I ve been impressed with Carpenter and while its rare to find a starter midseason on the waiver wire he seems to fit the system and as a former 1st rd pick has the athleticism. Johnson is solid depth and KJ Wright is the future. Follet would have to make the team over Ekejube as a special teamer.
CB - C Houston/N Vasher - Houston is a solid starter. Vasher gets picked on but has done enough by making tackles after the catch and not allowing the big one to come back.
CB - Dowling/A Smith/P Miller - Dowling beats out Smith who could be a playmaker in the nickel. Prince Miller looks like a prospect and could force Rucker to the practice squad. A Berry could also be in the mix based on last preseason.
FS - Delmas/Wendling - Delmas will make a pro bowl at some point. Wendling is a valuable special teamer.
SS - Spievey/Hagg - The lions will probably need to bring in a FA who is better than CC Brown. Spievey is improving esp vs the run but isnt much in coverage. Hagg could be the opposite type of player but both are inexperienced.

December 29th, 2010, 7:46 pm
Team MVP

Whats great about picking at #9 or lower is we can pretty much draft any position. At #9, I agree that taking Akeem Ayers would be a good choice, if not the best. That is assuming Peterson and Amukamara are off the board.

I wouldnt be upset to take Gabe Carimi either.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 29th, 2010, 11:49 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

I know its in the 7th round where you put him, but I want absolutely NOTHING to do with Chris L. Rucker. He's terrible.

December 30th, 2010, 1:32 am
Team MVP

Wayne Fontes wrote:
I know its in the 7th round where you put him, but I want absolutely NOTHING to do with Chris L. Rucker. He's terrible.

I 100% agree, i just didnt wanna say it since im a big State fan.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 30th, 2010, 1:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next