View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 22nd, 2014, 9:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Gerald McCoy 
Team MVP

Post Gerald McCoy
Whats everyones thoughts on Gerald McCoy? As of now, I doubt Suh will get passed Cleveland or Tampa Bay..so our next best is McCoy.

On the same subject, what does everyone think of Sammie Hills play so far as a rookie, and how would you expect the D-line to improve if we put McCoy next to him. Because Hill is what, 327lbs give or take, that would most likely put McCoy as the 3-technique (295lbs).

What do you guys think.

For me, I want him as our #1 pick (if not him, Morgan).

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 2nd, 2009, 12:41 am
Mr. Irrelevant

I'm a big fan of McCoys... I think he and Suh are pretty much interchangeable... He reminds me of Kevin Williams...

That said there seems to be quite a few good DTs coming out in this draft... I also like Dan Williams from Tennessee if he is there in the 2nd... He fits this scheme too...

I also think you're going to see a pretty aggressive FA campaign for Dlineman... There could potentially be a lot on the market as well, including Tony Brown and Kyle VandenBosch from Tennessee who Schwartz is obviously familiar with...

December 3rd, 2009, 11:58 pm
I'm a big fan of McCoys... I think he and Suh are pretty much interchangeable... He reminds me of Kevin Williams...

That said there seems to be quite a few good DTs coming out in this draft... I also like Dan Williams from Tennessee if he is there in the 2nd... He fits this scheme too...

I also think you're going to see a pretty aggressive FA campaign for Dlineman... There could potentially be a lot on the market as well, including Tony Brown and Kyle VandenBosch from Tennessee who Schwartz is obviously familiar with...

What's the deal with Kampman? I heard that GB isn't happy with him and he's not happy there playing off the LOS.

I'd love to land that guy...

December 4th, 2009, 12:58 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I think McCoy is more of a Tommie Harris, a guy who has some power but is more of a speed guy. However I think Suh is basically a Williams clone.

I think the lions biggest needs are CB(x2), LG, and S. I would love to upgrade the DL but we need secondary help in a bad way. Improved secondary would obviously imrpove coverage. It would also allow for increased blitzing improving the pass rush.

December 4th, 2009, 2:46 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I like Gerald McCoy and see him as a sure top ten pick, but I question whether he fits what the Lions want to do on defense. Schwartz and Cunningham have both stated that they want big DTs that can stuff the run. That's why they signed Grady Jackson and drafted Sammie Hill in the off-season. Those are the types of guys they want.

McCoy has always seemed like the prototype Tampa 2 undertackle to me. His best attribute is his quickness which allows him to penetrate into the backfield and disrupt either the running or passing game. While I think the Lions could use somebody like that, I believe Schwartz would prefer to have those types for passing situations only and McCoy is an every down player.

I know that Suh and McCoy are of similar size, but they are different players. Suh is so strong that he plays as if he's 325 lbs and can hold the point better than McCoy. That's why I would prefer Suh, but I wouldn't complain if the Lions ended up with McCoy.

December 4th, 2009, 11:19 am
Team MVP

What im thinking though is if we stay at 4 and Suh is gone, what choice do we have? Many sources say that Okung has question marks and no way is he a Jake Long or Joe Thomas. That pretty much leaves McCoy unless we trade back for someone else (Berry/Mays?).

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

December 4th, 2009, 3:36 pm
What im thinking though is if we stay at 4 and Suh is gone, what choice do we have? Many sources say that Okung has question marks and no way is he a Jake Long or Joe Thomas. That pretty much leaves McCoy unless we trade back for someone else (Berry/Mays?).

I'm not that worried about being stuck at #4. At 4 I think we'd be able to trade back a few spots for someone that is looking for Berry/Spiller/Bradford, and take Mays/Morgan 6-10ish. IMO it is easier to trade out of #4 than it is #1/2, especially in this market (no top 1-2 players like the Bush/Mario Williams draft).

December 4th, 2009, 3:50 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I agree. as long as we dont move closer to the top (3 max - 4 preffereed) we should be able to trade back, maybe even multiple times to amass more picks which we need more than "All Eggs In 1 basket but Potential Star" Risks.

December 4th, 2009, 10:35 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Color Commentator - John Madden

A lot of the things I've been reading about McCoy have him behind Suh, obviously, but not that far behind. I've only seen a few of his game this year. A DT's stats are not his measuring stick. McCoy only has like 80 career tackles and 13 sacks. From what I've seen I have a few positives and negatives:

Positives: He gets push up front. He's quick off the ball and shows strength at the point of attack. He has good lateral speed down the line of scrimmage.

Negatives: Often overruns plays. He's a classic 3 technique who wants to get to the passer and make plays, but often gets upfield too much leaving his gap responsibility in the run game. Also can get washed down by road grading OL men.

I like him and at 4 he might be a good pick. Kind of reminds me of Glenn Dorsey and Tommie Harris.

December 17th, 2009, 11:51 am
Bubbles the Lion

I thinking of being thrifty with our first round this year because of the price tag and the depth of the draft.
I say give nr 4 to Seatle for one of their firsts this year, their first next year and a second this year. Try to ship on of those picks to Cleveland for BigBaby, get a CB and OG in the first 2 rounds and go talent there after.
Next year when the price tag for the rookies will be fixed we have 2 first rounders, hopefully in the mid 10 or so and can fill the holes for good.

Just a thought

December 19th, 2009, 11:10 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

I thinking of being thrifty with our first round this year because of the price tag and the depth of the draft.
I say give nr 4 to Seatle for one of their firsts this year, their first next year and a second this year. Try to ship on of those picks to Cleveland for BigBaby, get a CB and OG in the first 2 rounds and go talent there after.
Next year when the price tag for the rookies will be fixed we have 2 first rounders, hopefully in the mid 10 or so and can fill the holes for good.

Just a thought

That would be nice in a perfect world, but come on man, this is Detroit.

After this weekend, we're sitting at 2 or 3, and there's no way that pick is going to be able to be moved, unless some GM has a major love affair with a QB. The Lions aren't going to take one.

If the Lions bring back Rogers and take a G and CB in the first two rounds I'm bailing on this team...

December 21st, 2009, 12:39 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Granted as we have seen since Scwartz has came to town that he likes BIG DTs and McCoy just doesn't fit that size ala Hill and Jackson.. however.. I'd still be happy with McCoy b/c I can see him being able to slide in and out and play both DT and DE.. we need a player with that kind of versatility on the DL if you ask me.

That is if we can't get Suh.

NEVER GIVE UP!

December 21st, 2009, 1:08 pm
I would personally love to move back from #2, even if Suh is available, and move down to 4 for McCoy, 6 for Morgan, or 9-13 for Taylor Mays.

I don't think that Suh makes twice the impact on this team that Taylor Mays does WITH an additional 6 million dollars per year in salary cap money to spend on free agents or otherwise...

IMO picking in the top 2 is more of a cancer than a benefit... I would get out of it at every opportunitty.

December 21st, 2009, 1:50 pm
RIP Killer

I would personally love to move back from #2, even if Suh is available, and move down to 4 for McCoy, 6 for Morgan, or 9-13 for Taylor Mays.

I don't think that Suh makes twice the impact on this team that Taylor Mays does WITH an additional 6 million dollars per year in salary cap money to spend on free agents or otherwise...

IMO picking in the top 2 is more of a cancer than a benefit... I would get out of it at every opportunitty.

I'm with you 100%

December 21st, 2009, 1:51 pm
Team MVP

Ya but other than winning, whats our chances of getting out of #2??

December 21st, 2009, 2:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next