View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 28th, 2014, 3:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Various Mock Draft postings for 2011 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Re: Various Mock Draft postings for 2011
kdsberman wrote:
Most "analysts" say JJ Watt is a 3-4 end. Does anyone disagree that he can play 4-3 DE?

He played in a 4-3 at Wisconsin. Here is a scouting report from NFP.

J.J. WATT DE, Wisconsin

2011 GRADE: 7.0 HT: 6-6 WT: 292
* Overview

News & Updates
Feb 10

* Scouting Report

A former Central Michigan transfer who made the move from tight end upon his arrival to Wisconsin in 2008. A tall, long-armed kid with a leaner-looking frame and has the ability to add even more girth to his frame. Displays impressive bend and flexibility when asked to coil up and sit into his stance off the edge. Has played both from a three- and four-point stance at end, has stood up on the outside and even kicked inside to tackle on pass downs. Possesses a sneaky first step off the football and because of his length and natural burst can quickly get on top of defensive tackles toward the edge. Allows his pad level to get up easily when trying to reach the corner and doesn't have the type of fluidity/bend to drop his pad level and flatten around the edge, but loves to work his spin move back underneath in order to find the quarterback. Has a powerful set of hands into contact and can really jar defenders initially at the point of attack on his bull rush and walk his way into the backfield. Also does a nice job using his long arms on the edge when trying to reach the corner, loves to work the arm over both inside and out and has some above-average short-area quickness for a guy his size. Can work the inside move off the snap both lined up as a DE and DT and has the body control to quickly slide step the block and keep himself clean before closing on the passer. Isn't a dynamic speed rusher by any stretch though and relies more on his inside counter, power and length o fight his way off blocks. Allows his pad level to get upright when he tries to change directions and fight his way though contact inside, but he has a motor that runs nonstop and works hard through the play.

Delivers a nasty jolt at the point of attack in the run game. Extends his arms well, keeps his base down and can really rock opposing blockers on contact. Displays some short-area quickness when asked to slip blocks upright as well and can make his way into the backfield. However, when trying to cross the face of opposing linemen inside and crash down the line, gets too upright with his pad level, doesn't protect his frame and can easily be washed away down the line. But, as an in-line guy, knows how to anchor at the point, set the edge and play off blocks when run at. Finds the football well for the most part and has good read and react ability. Nevertheless, is a bit limited as a stop and start athlete and doesn't have a real burst initially when asked to close and is more of a high motor strider in pursuit.

Impression: A tall, long-armed physical defensive end who has the versatility to play as either as a DE in a 3-4 and as DE/three-technique in a 4-3. He plays hard, is a natural bender for his size and looks like a solid contributor as a three-down lineman in the NFL in any scheme he plays. Will be on just about every team's draft board.

February 18th, 2011, 9:31 am
NFL Team Captain

Of all the mocks that I have seen, one really got me started and then fizzled.

Rd. 1 #13 Mark Ingram Rb
Rd. 2 #44 Wilson Martez Ilb
Rd. 3 #75 DeAndre McDaniels S
Rd. 4 #106 Rickey Elmore DE
Rd. 5 #137 Will Rackley OG

My big problem is the this guy has Mason Foster going at #188

Were I got excited was the first two picks. I'm starting to lean towards taking Ingram or Julio Jones with the 13th pick.
#13 is still a money pick and we we need to get as close to getting our money's worth as possible.

Both Ingram and Jones would be immediate starters as well as impact players.

Best and Ingram could be the best 1-2 punch in the league.

Jones, Megatron and Burleson would be damn scary! Jones could also be insurance incase Calvin decides to leave(if we let him).

If you want to drive yourself crazy, go to hailredskins.com. They have a mock draft database that is currently 147 strong. I would post a link but I'm an old dog and you know what they say about old dogs. They carry a big stick! Or was that limp stick. Whatever it goes well with demetia. 8)

March 7th, 2011, 4:18 pm
RIP Killer

I'm starting to see a few more mocks that have us taking Tyron Smith rather than Nate Solder with our pick. Not that I'm happy about that, but I'd rather they took Smith than Solder.

My view is that if two QBs are taken ahead of our pick, which is what I anticipate will happen, then we have a legitimate shot of having a very good player fall to us. Robert Quinn? Prince Amukamara? Possible. There's even a remote chance the the Vikings get nervous and take Jake Locker with their 12th pick. If one looks at how many starting caliber QBs are going to be on the market (Kolb, Palmer, McNabb) and how many teams ahead of us are looking for QB help (Carolina, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Arizona, San Fran, Tennessee, Washington, Minnesota) then the conclusion can be made that the free agents won't satisfy all these teams, and picks will have to be made. With teams like Miami and Jacksonville picking just beyond us who are likewise in the market for quarterbacks, some of the teams picking between 1 and 12 could get nervous.

March 8th, 2011, 1:47 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

m2karateman wrote:
I'm starting to see a few more mocks that have us taking Tyron Smith rather than Nate Solder with our pick. Not that I'm happy about that, but I'd rather they took Smith than Solder.

My view is that if two QBs are taken ahead of our pick, which is what I anticipate will happen, then we have a legitimate shot of having a very good player fall to us. Robert Quinn? Prince Amukamara? Possible. There's even a remote chance the the Vikings get nervous and take Jake Locker with their 12th pick. If one looks at how many starting caliber QBs are going to be on the market (Kolb, Palmer, McNabb) and how many teams ahead of us are looking for QB help (Carolina, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Arizona, San Fran, Tennessee, Washington, Minnesota) then the conclusion can be made that the free agents won't satisfy all these teams, and picks will have to be made. With teams like Miami and Jacksonville picking just beyond us who are likewise in the market for quarterbacks, some of the teams picking between 1 and 12 could get nervous.

Agree with your take on the QB's. Feel there is a good chance that 3 go in the top 12. Hoping that someone falls in love with Mallett to make it 4. All it takes is one team. Last year I thought, no way Tebow goes in the first.

March 8th, 2011, 3:33 pm
RIP Killer

liontrax wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

Agree with your take on the QB's. Feel there is a good chance that 3 go in the top 12. Hoping that someone falls in love with Mallett to make it 4. All it takes is one team. Last year I thought, no way Tebow goes in the first.

Me too. I would have thought Clausen would be the second guy off the board, and I surely didn't see Denver taking Tebow.

I don't know how Mallett handled his team interviews, but if they were anything like his media interview, he'll be lucky to be taken before round four.

March 8th, 2011, 4:33 pm
RIP Killer

Kipers new mock draft has the Lions taking Tyron Smith (the first tackle off the board)...

March 10th, 2011, 1:49 pm
Profile WWW
jomo269 wrote:
Of all the mocks that I have seen, one really got me started and then fizzled.

Rd. 1 #13 Mark Ingram Rb
Rd. 2 #44 Wilson Martez Ilb
Rd. 3 #75 DeAndre McDaniels S
Rd. 4 #106 Rickey Elmore DE
Rd. 5 #137 Will Rackley OG

My big problem is the this guy has Mason Foster going at #188

Were I got excited was the first two picks. I'm starting to lean towards taking Ingram or Julio Jones with the 13th pick.
#13 is still a money pick and we we need to get as close to getting our money's worth as possible.

Both Ingram and Jones would be immediate starters as well as impact players.

Best and Ingram could be the best 1-2 punch in the league.

Jones, Megatron and Burleson would be damn scary! Jones could also be insurance incase Calvin decides to leave(if we let him).

If you want to drive yourself crazy, go to hailredskins.com. They have a mock draft database that is currently 147 strong. I would post a link but I'm an old dog and you know what they say about old dogs. They carry a big stick! Or was that limp stick. Whatever it goes well with demetia. 8)

I agree Jomo. I'm not as excited about Jones as I am Ingram, due to the potential bust factor of WRs in the first round, and the time it takes to get them ready for the game. That said, Jones does look like a special player, there have been a lot of successful teams with two high-powered WRs, Nate is really a slot guy, and we have to consider the real possibility that CJ leaves after his contract is up. This team should never allow itself to be in a position like we were in after Moore and Morton left the team. It took a LONG time get a set of WRs to come in here and get our receiving game back under control (arguably from the year they left until last year).

March 10th, 2011, 2:35 pm
RIP Killer

Just a couple of Lions pick updates at some popular draft sites:

Walter Football, March 9, 2011
1. OT Tyron Smith, USC
2. OC Stefen Wisniewski, Penn State
3. CB Rashad Carmichael, VTU
4. ILB Nate Irving, NCSU
5. OLB J.T. Thomas, WVU

Draft Tek, March 8, 2011
1. CB Brandon Harris, Miami FLA
2. ILB Kelvin Sheppard, LSU
3. OLB Mark Herzlich, Boston College
4. CB Chimdi Chekwa, Ohio State
5. DT Cedric Thornton, Southern Arkansas

Draft Daddy, March 10, 2011
1. DE Justin Houston, Georgia
2. OG Marcus Cannon, TCU
3. CB Curtis Brown, Texas

March 10th, 2011, 3:38 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

m2karateman wrote:
Just a couple of Lions pick updates at some popular draft sites:

Walter Football, March 9, 2011
1. OT Tyron Smith, USC
2. OC Stefen Wisniewski, Penn State
3. CB Rashad Carmichael, VTU
4. ILB Nate Irving, NCSU
5. OLB J.T. Thomas, WVU

Draft Tek, March 8, 2011
2. ILB Kelvin Sheppard, LSU
3. OLB Mark Herzlich, Boston College
4. CB Chimdi Chekwa, Ohio State
5. DT Cedric Thornton, Southern Arkansas

Draft Daddy, March 10, 2011
1. DE Justin Houston, Georgia
2. OG Marcus Cannon, TCU
3. CB Curtis Brown, Texas

I certainly don't like Walter Football's mock.

NEVER GIVE UP!

March 10th, 2011, 5:17 pm
RIP Killer

LionsFan4Life wrote:
I certainly don't like Walter Football's mock.

I'm not a big fan of any of them, but wouldn't mind a combination of them.

On a side note, there are many who might feel the Justin Houston pick is out of bounds, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him taken ahead of Watt or Kerrigan. At one time, I had the Lions picking him at #13. He is a pure pass rushing animal.

One of the picks I am warming up to is the Kelvin Sheppard pick in round two, even over Mason Foster. Foster shocked me with his slow speed, even though the rest of his workouts was OK. I expected a little more from him. But in reading about Sheppard, he seems like he'd be a good addition for the team. He was a team captain and natural on-field leader at LSU, and is considered to be a guy with a high football IQ. Having him would give us someone who has the smarts and ability to play either outside or inside, which is appealing. He ran well, looked good in drills.....the only knock on him is that he doesn't shed blockers well. OK, move him outside. Of course, playing in front of our line he doesn't have to be too concerned with blockers getting to him.

Round three, I am liking Chimdi Chekwa or John Moffitt. Beyond that, BPA all day long.

March 10th, 2011, 5:37 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Latest from Draft Tek
2. LB Mason Foster Washington
3. LB Quan Sturdivant North Carolina
4. CB Curtis Marsh Utah State
5. DE Ricky Elmore Arizona

Hard to know if Harris is a reach that early in the 1st. Think that is too high for Foster. Could say the same for Sturdivant. Don't know about Marsh or Elmore. They were clearly making the first 4 picks for need. Totally ignored the interior O-line, 3rd receiver and possible addition of RB.

March 16th, 2011, 5:24 pm
Div 1 - Starter

in the latest of kipers and mcshays mock drafts they both have prince going to detroit at 13. they both also have detroit taking bruce carter at 44

April 6th, 2011, 2:34 pm
RIP Killer

vankman79 wrote:
in the latest of kipers and mcshays mock drafts they both have prince going to detroit at 13. they both also have detroit taking bruce carter at 44

If the Lions get Prince at 13 I'm going to party like it is 1999. I brought up Bruce Carter for the Lions in the second in the forum mock draft, but nobody seemed on board with that. I get the risk, but I also like the reward part and think that may be a bit of a reach at that point draft for him in terms of value and risk/reward. IMO he is the 2nd most talented LB in the draft, the knees are a concern of course, but without the injury he would be getting mentioned at pick 13.

I'd love Carter in the 3rd, I just don't think he will be there.

April 6th, 2011, 2:52 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I was a HUGE Carter fan until the injury... there is a huge risk reward there, I just think that there is always a talent that is maybe less risk that falls to the same spot. It is hard to realize we aren't picking at the tippy top of the second as we have been for years, but maybe mid second is a good spot for Bruce and worth the risk.

April 6th, 2011, 2:59 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
I was a HUGE Carter fan until the injury... there is a huge risk reward there, I just think that there is always a talent that is maybe less risk that falls to the same spot. It is hard to realize we aren't picking at the tippy top of the second as we have been for years, but maybe mid second is a good spot for Bruce and worth the risk.

I agree, I think he is mid to late 2nd round as far as value, spots 55-65 seem about right to. Lions have, as you might expect, been hit and miss with these types of picks - Shaun Rogers was a hit, Boss Bailey was a miss.

April 6th, 2011, 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next