View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 17th, 2014, 10:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Position by Position Breakdown 
Color Commentator - John Madden

Post Re: Position by Position Breakdown
vankman79 wrote:
Wayne Fontes wrote:
As fans who follow a team like we all do, BPA is kind of a frustrating approach to take for us. We all see the holes on this team, and we want them to be filled. Unfortunately, as we've all seen, draft positioning affects the position we can take in round 1. Of course Mayhew is a BPA type of guy, they're always picking in the top 5! They have to pick those guys! It would be great if we could take a WLB with our first pick, but are there any that are top 5 material? Nope. I like Akeem Ayers, but not at #2. Is anyone going to really want to trade up to take..... nope. Stuck.

Da'Quan Bowers looks like a man out there. I'm just afraid we're going to get this years version of Carlos Dunlap. Immense talent but with rocks in his head. (He does have 4.5 sacks this year, though)

i dont mean to single you out wayneO, but the last time i checked most scouts have patrick peterson ranked as the second best player in the draft. i think they are a little more qualified than any of us to rank players what they should be ranked. for any who say there isnt any worthy cbs to go top 5. scouts inc on espn has peterson graded at 98. who was the last corner to get that high of a grade? as a matter in fact they have peterson as having the same draft grade as andrew luck. which says thats they believe patrick peterson is the andrew luck of cornerbacks.

Don't be a ratings slave. Anyway, Scouts Inc? Todd McShay? No thanks.

I don't question Patterson's talent, upside, or potential. Pre-Draft ratings are always just a crap shoot. He very well may be the second best player in the draft, but is he the right VALUE for the PRICE we are going to have to PAY for him. That's my only concern. It's not even the player himself that I'm concerned about.

December 8th, 2010, 10:12 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Vankman wrote:
who was the last corner to get that high of a grade?

I trieddigging this up because the scouts (since its a best guest) miss on this all the time. Go fgure they don't keep (or at least don't make it easy) to look back at predraft ratings on past drafts for Scouts Inc. That way nobody can point out how far off they are all the time.

December 8th, 2010, 4:42 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

Peterson from what I've seen looks like he might be a little more Antrel Rolle at the next level (with a better 40 time) than a Nnamdi Asomugha or Champ Bailey. When I watch him he looks like he knows he's more gifted than most of the guys he's playing against and is content with that and doesn't give that little extra. That's fine in college but in the NFL he'd get lit up if he isn't completely dedicated. Just look at what Julio Jones (an elite WR prospect) has done to him.

December 8th, 2010, 8:26 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

So Revis just signed a contract 4 years 46 mil with 32 guaranteed.

Suh's contract was for 5 years 60 mil 40 mil guaranteed.

If you draft Peterson number 2 without a rookie pay scale, you'll be paying him more than Revis. That's fine if he's going to be as good as Revis in the coming years. I'm not so sure he will be.

December 9th, 2010, 4:03 am
RIP Killer

Blueskies wrote:
So Revis just signed a contract 4 years 46 mil with 32 guaranteed.

Suh's contract was for 5 years 60 mil 40 mil guaranteed.

If you draft Peterson number 2 without a rookie pay scale, you'll be paying him more than Revis. That's fine if he's going to be as good as Revis in the coming years. I'm not so sure he will be.

That is why we need a rookie pay scale...

December 9th, 2010, 10:37 am

I've seen a lot of chatter saying that Peterson might project best at safety in the NFL. I don't want to have another Spievey situation on our hands, especially if he's going to be paid like a shutdown corner.

December 9th, 2010, 1:56 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Its more than that.

When Revis got his contract, it was considered to be a big contract, and he's the best player at his position.

Peterson would have to be on the level of Suh or Calvin Johnson to justify taking him #2 and giving him that much money. Watching his play, he seems talented, but not a giant-among-men prospect like Suh and Calvin were. Granted, he's a CB, and its harder to judge, but Calvin had insane measureables and a crazy highlight reel. Suh had stats equivalent to entire defenses. With Peterson you don't have that.

With KVB going to IR, Bowers is the obvious choice if the Lions stay at #2.

December 9th, 2010, 3:42 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Wayne Fontes wrote:
I've seen a lot of chatter saying that Peterson might project best at safety in the NFL. I don't want to have another Spievey situation on our hands, especially if he's going to be paid like a shutdown corner.

where does the safety chatter come from? has somebody actually qualified to make that statement said that? im really not paying much attention to scouting right now so i dont know. but here is a mock to check out

http://walterfootball.com/draft2011.php

Last edited by vankman79 on December 11th, 2010, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 9th, 2010, 7:22 pm

I usually take what Scott Wright says with a grain of salt, but he says "many scouts". Many might mean 1 or 2, but someone thinks that he could play Safety. Does it happen? Dunno.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

December 10th, 2010, 2:39 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

NO. We must put a Real Safety back there with Delmas. If not in FA than after the 4th round. I really hope we get Patrick Peterson in round 1

December 11th, 2010, 3:13 am

I don't blame you about the FA safety. First off, it's not Sean Taylor/LeRon Landry. It would be a guy they'd be moving inside, which is a joke, especially that high in the draft. There are plenty of good Safeties that can be had in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rounds.

December 13th, 2010, 12:27 pm
Varsity Captain

I think CB, LB, OC, and LT are our biggest needs. I rank all three of these about equal.

Fox may be able to be the LT of the future but I have no way to evaluate that at this time so LT stays a top priority for me. I think Johnson and Levy can cover 2 of the LB spots leaving us with an overpaid Peterson and some really good depth but no true 3rd starting LB. I think it is obvious we need a #1 CB, and I think Raiola needs to be replaced as I have for about 7 years now. If we can fill 2 or 3 of these spots in the FA or the first couple rounds of the draft I would be very happy. Perhaps a LB and LT in FA and CB and OC in the draft.

I am hoping that the lions are picking somewhere between 10 and 5 (can't really hope for better then that at this point). If so and there is no player at any of these positions that is a definite blue-chip (as much as one can be in the draft), and they cannot trade down, then a DE would be my next choice. My reasoning being that DeVries probably won't be back, KVB is getting old and McBride and Jackson are good depth but not what I would look for to start. I have liked Avril's progress and think as long as we can keep dominant players lke Suh, Williams and KVB on the line with him he will be very good.

After DE the next positions of need would be OG, #3 WR, S and K. If we can get a replacement for Backus then maybe he can be our OG for a year. Would rather just replace Stephan Penaltyman though. Our #3 WR may be on the team and if not can probably be gotten through FA. I think Spievey may be able to be the S next to Delmas and would be willing to give him another year so this becomes a very low priority for me. I wouldn't target a S until the late rounds unless someone I really like falls. As for K We could get by for a year with either Hanson if he returns or Rayner so again a late round or FA aquisition.

As I see it the Lions should fill holes with 3 or 4 picks and the rest should be spent on upgrading decent starting positions with better talent, upgrading our depth and building for the future something that would be a novel idea for Lions fans.

December 14th, 2010, 6:03 pm

I don't feel good with Landon Johnson being a starter. I think he's best suited in a backup/spot duty type of role. He's pretty dec, but I think that there could be a huge upgrade there. He's been hurt and inconsistent at times this year. Ashlee Palmer played just as well as he did in spots this year too. I still think 2 new starters need to be found for the LB corp next year. Peterson may be cut; he's making way to much money for the production he's giving. That leaves only Levy with any real starting experience. I'll bet they find a 'backer in FA and then draft one also. Probably second round. First round will most likely be a CB, 2nd LB, etc. However, the way that Mayhew prescribes to BPA, you never know how things are going to shake down.

December 15th, 2010, 11:34 am
RIP Killer

I've said this many times, but Julian Peterson is as good as gone. He doesn't renegotiate his deals, at all. He wouldn't take a pay cut in Seattle, which is why they traded him here. He hasn't begun to earn the money he's making and I don't see the Lions keeping him after his lackluster campaign in 2010.

I'm sure the Lions probably approached Peterson about his contract this year, and he likely told them "pay me or cut me". I'll be shocked if the Lions get him to lower his contract.

That said, another player the Lions need to speak to about his contract and his failure to live up to it is Stephen Peterman. After getting his deal two seasons ago, he's been below average when he's played, and not at all the player he was when he was making far less money. With no CBA in place, and still no cap, they may want to consider letting him go in the off-season if he won't renegotiate.

December 21st, 2010, 1:02 pm

The thing about Peterson is that he's going to get cut if he doesn't renegotiate, but the game film he's been putting together the last season and a half has been less than stellar. He's not going to get anywhere near what he wants from another team in Free Agency. If he renegotiates with the Lions he's got a chance to at least ask for a little more than market value, which now is low...

Since the Lions LB's are so weak right now, I'm compelled to keep him around for next year.

December 22nd, 2010, 1:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next