View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 20th, 2014, 12:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Position by Position Breakdown 
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Post Re: Position by Position Breakdown
I just wouldn't be surprised to see the Vikings play it conservatively with their coaching search. I don't expect them to make a big splash with a new coach or a dramatic schematic shift. My guess is that either way, Greenway will be re-signed.

December 29th, 2010, 10:14 pm
League MVP

BillySims wrote:
Well, for the price of Peterson, we should be able to get either David Harris or Chad Greenway.

Greenway is even more intriguing because he would make us stronger while, at the same time, making a division opponent weaker.

Adding both? We would be able to draft a CB in the 1st round and then focus the rest of the draft on O-line and depth.

If all this happens? I guarantee playoffs in 2011. Provided the season isn't canceled.

that would be a great offseason. the LB signing takes away our biggest signing going into the draft and lets us take BPA.

December 29th, 2010, 10:17 pm
Stats Boy

DJ-B wrote:
plach1jm wrote:
I agree to at least keep Peterson around. We need to draft 2 LB's, but if we let Peterson go then we'd probably need to acquire another LB as a backup. It'd be good to mix a veteran like Peterson with a rookie at a position to keep the defense fresh. While Peterson is getting up there in age he hasn't exactly been the cause of the Lions' problems.

Would you keep petersen if he wont negotiate (at least a 50/50 proposition) at the cost of 8+ million?

Id let him walk in that case and think the Lions would be insane to keep him for more than 4mil.

Look at it this way. The Defense got MUCH Better this year, and yet his play has declined. Landon johnson looks like a quality backup/potential starter at Will, but Petersen cant get anything done at SAM with this Dline? He is part of the problem, not part of the solution, even as short as we are at LB. Its not that hard to bring in 1 Starting (doesnt have to be an 8million dollar stud) FA LB, Draft another one or two int he first 4 rounds, and go into next season with those 2-3 + Levy, Follet Back, Landon johnson, and maybe another depth player.

His play has declined? He has more tackles this year than last and is leading the team in that stat. He has 3.5 less sacks, but our LB's don't need to blitz as much with our front 4 putting pressure on the QB. If you cut Peterson you still have to pay him some money. So, yes I'd rather keep him (8 mill and all) because in reality he's actually played well even though his presence is overshadowed on the field. It won't break our bank

December 31st, 2010, 3:31 am
RIP Killer

plach1jm wrote:

His play has declined? He has more tackles this year than last and is leading the team in that stat. He has 3.5 less sacks, but our LB's don't need to blitz as much with our front 4 putting pressure on the QB. If you cut Peterson you still have to pay him some money. So, yes I'd rather keep him (8 mill and all) because in reality he's actually played well even though his presence is overshadowed on the field. It won't break our bank

Yes, Julian Peterson's play has declined enormously. Last season he was being used as a linebacker some games, and as a DE in other games. His lack of tackles last season as compared to this season is because of that. As a linebacker you are expected to get many more tackles than a down lineman.

Cutting Peterson won't cost the Lions a penny. His bonus money was picked up by Seattle as part of the trade here. The Lions are on the hook for just his yearly salary, which is not guaranteed. If they cut him this off-season, they owe him nothing.

His play does not justify an $8M salary, in any way shape or form. That is top tier money for a linebacker, and he's not going to the Pro Bowl, or even came close. He has had costly penalties (remember the Jets game?) and has not been a playmaker this season. For that $8M you can get a young, playmaking linebacker and still have enough left over to get some depth upgrades.

Sorry, but Julian Peterson isn't worth that much money. He isn't even worth half. As for being overshadowed, well, he's being overshadowed by a rookie, and getting paid nearly as much as that rookie. If he's getting overshadowed, it's because he's not playing as well as he should be.

December 31st, 2010, 11:35 am
Stats Boy

He's getting paid $8mill and not putting up $8mill numbers, i understand that. Statistically he's the best LB on the Lions roster (I know Levy was/is injured). The Lions are already in need of serious LB help and can't afford to thin the position anymore. They need 2 LB's period. Letting go Peterson and they need 3. That is alot of LB's. Is $8mill grossly overpaying him? Yes. That amount of money sounds like a lot to you and I, but not really to the Lions. They paid Bryant Johnson a $2.6 million dollar bonus last offseason for his 15 catches. I'm saying they're going to keep him.

December 31st, 2010, 12:53 pm
RIP Killer

There is a difference between Peterson's play declining and Peterson playing badly. He is still plays at a starting LB level, but in no way is he as good as he used to be, not even close. He was a perennial probowler, he is certainly NOT a probowler anymore. That is a player on the decline...

December 31st, 2010, 1:01 pm
RIP Killer

plach1jm wrote:
He's getting paid $8mill and not putting up $8mill numbers, i understand that. Statistically he's the best LB on the Lions roster (I know Levy was/is injured). The Lions are already in need of serious LB help and can't afford to thin the position anymore. They need 2 LB's period. Letting go Peterson and they need 3. That is alot of LB's. Is $8mill grossly overpaying him? Yes. That amount of money sounds like a lot to you and I, but not really to the Lions. They paid Bryant Johnson a $2.6 million dollar bonus last offseason for his 15 catches. I'm saying they're going to keep him.

I can't argue that he is the most consistent and statistically best LB on the Lions roster. The idea is that the $8M he's getting paid will buy us an upgrade over him at that position, plus additional players. That's IF we can get them. Fortunately, the Lions don't have to cut Peterson immediately. I don't think he's due any roster or workout bonus money, but sly would be the best person to tell us that. If he's due significant bonus money, they need to can him regardless. He's not worth it. If he's due a roster bonus of over $1M, I wouldn't pay him. I think the Lions could cut him and then try to sign him to a lesser deal. No team in the NFL would pay him the salary he is getting now, let alone what he is due in 2011.

I also realize that $8M isn't that big a sum when looking at the total cap amount allowed. However, it is when you break it down into who is getting paid what on the Lions, and what their relative contribution is to this team. Other players know what he makes, and if the Lions keep him at that cost, it can cause issues in the locker room, which could stunt the growth of this team. While players may step in front of a camera and not talk about another player getting paid more bothering them, it does.

I agree that the Lions are in need of linebacker help in a big way. However, linebackers of pretty decent quality can be had in the draft throughout the first three to four rounds. Free agent linebackers of starting caliber become available every off-season. I'm sure they can attract better quality players now that they are considered a team on the rise with among the best D-lines in the NFL. That is attractive to FA linebackers seeking a new team.

December 31st, 2010, 2:56 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

m2karateman wrote:
plach1jm wrote:

I can't argue that he is the most consistent and statistically best LB on the Lions roster. The idea is that the $8M he's getting paid will buy us an upgrade over him at that position, plus additional players. That's IF we can get them. Fortunately, the Lions don't have to cut Peterson immediately. I don't think he's due any roster or workout bonus money, but sly would be the best person to tell us that. If he's due significant bonus money, they need to can him regardless. He's not worth it. If he's due a roster bonus of over $1M, I wouldn't pay him. I think the Lions could cut him and then try to sign him to a lesser deal. No team in the NFL would pay him the salary he is getting now, let alone what he is due in 2011.

I also realize that $8M isn't that big a sum when looking at the total cap amount allowed. However, it is when you break it down into who is getting paid what on the Lions, and what their relative contribution is to this team. Other players know what he makes, and if the Lions keep him at that cost, it can cause issues in the locker room, which could stunt the growth of this team. While players may step in front of a camera and not talk about another player getting paid more bothering them, it does.

I agree that the Lions are in need of linebacker help in a big way. However, linebackers of pretty decent quality can be had in the draft throughout the first three to four rounds. Free agent linebackers of starting caliber become available every off-season. I'm sure they can attract better quality players now that they are considered a team on the rise with among the best D-lines in the NFL. That is attractive to FA linebackers seeking a new team.

I would add that it doesn't seem like JP is into the scheme here or the coaching staff. It's always seemed like he's just cruising along, cashing checks and keeping his mouth shut. I have a feeling he will sound a lot like Philip Buchanon when and if he is let go.

December 31st, 2010, 3:11 pm
Team MVP

plach1jm wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
plach1jm wrote:
I agree to at least keep Peterson around. We need to draft 2 LB's, but if we let Peterson go then we'd probably need to acquire another LB as a backup. It'd be good to mix a veteran like Peterson with a rookie at a position to keep the defense fresh. While Peterson is getting up there in age he hasn't exactly been the cause of the Lions' problems.

Would you keep petersen if he wont negotiate (at least a 50/50 proposition) at the cost of 8+ million?

Id let him walk in that case and think the Lions would be insane to keep him for more than 4mil.

Look at it this way. The Defense got MUCH Better this year, and yet his play has declined. Landon johnson looks like a quality backup/potential starter at Will, but Petersen cant get anything done at SAM with this Dline? He is part of the problem, not part of the solution, even as short as we are at LB. Its not that hard to bring in 1 Starting (doesnt have to be an 8million dollar stud) FA LB, Draft another one or two int he first 4 rounds, and go into next season with those 2-3 + Levy, Follet Back, Landon johnson, and maybe another depth player.

Have u not watched a lions game this year? Peterson has got to go. We need a serious upgrade at that position.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 31st, 2010, 5:03 pm
Stats Boy

I've watched them all actually. Do the Lions need an ugrade at his postition? Most definitely. Is Peterson worth $8mill? Most definitely not. My main point is that if we cut Peterson anyone who replaces him is going to put up about the same numbers (80+ tackles, ect). The Lions arent going to get the next Lamar Woodley. 4-3 OLB's just don't put up those kinds of numbers. It's not a glorious position where your presence is felt on the field. There's no one the Lions can find that will put up mind boggling numbers. Maybe if they pick up a 3-4 OLB and use him to blitz more. I'm all for that actually

December 31st, 2010, 5:15 pm
Stats Boy

I just wanted to add that I checked the stats and there are only 5 OLB in 4-3 schemes that are better statistically right now than peterson.
They are:
Chad Greenway
James Anderson
David Hawthorne
Daryl Smith
Will Witherspoon

So don't feed me this bull about him being terrible or washed up. The numbers say he's the 6th best 4-3 OLB in the league right now. You can argue (and most are) his contract is too high, but bringing in a different player will probably only downgrade the position. The Lions need to find their other OLB before they even consider just cutting Peterson

December 31st, 2010, 5:40 pm
RIP Killer

But plach, the point is, do you overpay? No, you don't just cut him, but for $8 million... whew... you can get a lot. # tackles isn't everything. He is not fantastic anymore and he is not a top 6, but he is not easily replaceable as the other two positions are suspect. Can we afford to just cut and hope to fill, no... but we should be looking for alternatives if we can. We could get two good starters with that $8 million... even i we cannot replace the Peterson. I'd rather downgrade one spot and upgrade two others. We have so many holes it is worth it...

December 31st, 2010, 5:45 pm
Stats Boy

Point taken. But if the lions don't want that contract I can't see any other teams that would.

December 31st, 2010, 5:52 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Tackling stats can be misleading. It could be a clue that the opposing offenses see the LB as a coverage liability and so they throw at him. That would set him up to make a lot of tackles (even though the opponent is completing catches and making first downs). Or it could be a clue that the DL is doing a good job of closing the running lanes up the middle so opposing running plays go to the edge, again setting up the LB for a tackle.

Peterson isn't terrible but he's not the impact player he used to be. He was once a disruptive pass rusher and he forced a lot of fumbles too. He hasn't done any of that this year.

December 31st, 2010, 5:57 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

true that...didn't paris lenon come close to leading the league in tackles when we had the worst d in the league?

December 31st, 2010, 9:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next