View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 29th, 2014, 12:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Draft A QB or No? - Also QB Importance vs Building a Top 5 D 
Team MVP

Post Re: Draft A QB or No? - Also QB Importance vs Building a Top
DJ-B wrote:
Luck (if hes there) or Trade, id be fine with either.

I think I agree with this statement, at least right now.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 6th, 2010, 12:02 am
Div 1 - Starter

how many good #1 corners in the league are return men? i cant think of too many. what does returning have to do with drafting peterson. peterson makes the most sense to me if picking #2. unless something happens between now and then, he is rated as the second best player in the draft. we will have to see how the combine goes.

December 7th, 2010, 4:36 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

It has everything to do with drafti9ng petersen. He is a pretty good CB.. primarily due to his speed and reputation (they throw away from him). But 40% of his value in college is because he is an electric return man. If you arent going to use him in that capacity.. he isnt as valuable as he is being pumped up to. I see hima s a #2 corner in the NFL. He wont have any reputation going in.. just be another rookie, and his speed isnt that crazy compared to NFL athletes. I'm not even sure he is the best CB in the draft... take away all his accolades for returning and you cant draft him in the top 5.

Thats just my opinion.. but yeah.. it has everything to do with the fact that half his fame is as a returner, and he likely wont be a returner in the NFL.

December 7th, 2010, 12:52 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
DJ-B wrote:
Luck (if hes there) or Trade, id be fine with either.

Agree.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

December 7th, 2010, 2:03 pm
Profile WWW
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I think I can safely predict that the Lions won't draft a QB in the 1st round. Despite his injuries, it's too soon to give up on Stafford just yet, especially when the Lions have so many other needs to address.

December 7th, 2010, 11:36 pm

I am 99% certain they wont. Especially with the way Schwartz feels about Stafford.

That said I would.. if I couldnt trade out for a bounty of picks. But only if it was Luck And a wage scale was in place.

Hopefully we trade down.

December 8th, 2010, 3:48 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Div 1 - Starter

DJ-B wrote:
It has everything to do with drafti9ng petersen. He is a pretty good CB.. primarily due to his speed and reputation (they throw away from him). But 40% of his value in college is because he is an electric return man. If you arent going to use him in that capacity.. he isnt as valuable as he is being pumped up to. I see hima s a #2 corner in the NFL. He wont have any reputation going in.. just be another rookie, and his speed isnt that crazy compared to NFL athletes. I'm not even sure he is the best CB in the draft... take away all his accolades for returning and you cant draft him in the top 5.

Thats just my opinion.. but yeah.. it has everything to do with the fact that half his fame is as a returner, and he likely wont be a returner in the NFL.

are you kidding me, returner has nothing to do with his draft status. teams dont draft kick returners in the first round. scouts dont rate players that high because of their kick returning skills. scouts rate players that high because they are that good at their position. when was the last time somebody got drafted in the first round for their kick returning skills

December 8th, 2010, 5:32 am
Modmin Dude

vankman79 wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

are you kidding me, returner has nothing to do with his draft status. teams dont draft kick returners in the first round. scouts dont rate players that high because of their kick returning skills. scouts rate players that high because they are that good at their position. when was the last time somebody got drafted in the first round for their kick returning skills

Reggie Bush anyone?
From what I remember he was never projected to be an everydown back in the NFL but because of his skillz peeps thought he was top 5 material. I still think it was a wasted high pick. Sure he's got a lot of talent, but he's hasn't earned his draft status....yet.

December 8th, 2010, 9:27 am
RIP Killer

Desmond Howard anyone?

December 8th, 2010, 11:17 am

Pacman Jones.

Thats just an example of some, so they sure do, even if its uncommon.

What just as uncommon.... Drafting CBs in the top 5.

In addition , every single "expert" I've seen on the TV talking about the draft that mentions Peterson talks about his kick returning being as much of his value as him being a good CB. My comment came directly from that. THey say "He is an athletic talent, and we believe he is a good CB but since teams fear throwing to his side of the field this seasonw e can't get a very good measure of his actual talent at the position.. but boy is he one heck of an athletic talent and explosive kick returner."

December 8th, 2010, 4:48 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Div 1 - Starter

DJ-B wrote:
Pacman Jones.

Thats just an example of some, so they sure do, even if its uncommon.

What just as uncommon.... Drafting CBs in the top 5.

In addition , every single "expert" I've seen on the TV talking about the draft that mentions Peterson talks about his kick returning being as much of his value as him being a good CB. My comment came directly from that. THey say "He is an athletic talent, and we believe he is a good CB but since teams fear throwing to his side of the field this seasonw e can't get a very good measure of his actual talent at the position.. but boy is he one heck of an athletic talent and explosive kick returner."

there is good reason to not throw at him. it doesnt matter if teams throw at him or not to assess his skills. either way every play he goes out into coverage and defends a receiver. it doesnt matter if teams throw at him or not you still get a look at his skills every play he is on the field. teams fear throwing at him for a reason and its not because he is just a good cb. i just did a little research on peterson and heard many different things and none was that he was just a good cb. everybody is saying he is an amazing cb. some even referred to him as the revis island of college football. so i dont get where you or anybody else comes up with his draft stock is simply because of his kick return ability. that is a bonus, but thats not why he is rated as the second best player in the draft. i just checked several updated mocks and most have detroit taking peterson and some have amakumara, but mention that it could be peterson as well.

December 9th, 2010, 9:13 pm
National Champion

Right now here is my Lions draft board:

1. Andrew Luck
2. Patrick Peterson
3. Da'Quan Bowers

Andrew Luck looks like an absolute elite QB. Super accuracy in a pro-style system and underrated athleticism. I don't think you pass on him because you have Stafford. Stafford has been injury prone, and honestly, has not looked that great overall when he has played. I see Luck as the type of QB who can absolutely lift a team. Worst case scenario you end up with two elite QB's like San Diego did a few years ago. How did that work out for them?

Peterson is an athletic freak. Yes, you wouldn't use him as a returner, but the fact that he is on a top 20 college team and Les Miles tries to get the ball into his hands anyway he can shows you something about his athleticism. The guy is a beast. Definitely the strongest corner in at least three years.

Bowers has been dominant off the edge this year. Although he disappeared early in his career, he was highly regarded coming out of high school. Suh has made a bunch of no-counts like Lawrence Jackson and Turk McBride look like studs. Imagine if we had a legit force off the edge and it wouldn't matter how bad the secondary is.

December 9th, 2010, 11:16 pm
Div 1 - Starter

that statement about the pass rush i heard somewhere before. oh it was last off season. yup our pass rush at times has been dominant yet it still doesnt make up for the suspect secondary. we would be much better getting some corners that could cover than trying to improve our already really good pass rush. imagine our pass rush with some corners that could jam and cover. now that would be dominant. due to the shortage of quality cover corners in the league i cant imagine detroit passing up one in the draft. i would assume them to target some linebackers in free agency.

December 10th, 2010, 1:33 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Just answer this question: Do you think Peterson will be as good of a CB as Suh is a DT? If not, then you can't draft him #2, sorry. The money just isn't there.

December 10th, 2010, 1:29 pm
RIP Killer

Blueskies wrote:
Just answer this question: Do you think Peterson will be as good of a CB as Suh is a DT? If not, then you can't draft him #2, sorry. The money just isn't there.

I don't think Peterson is a #2 pick, he won't be a Suh level.

December 10th, 2010, 1:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next