View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 1:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Draft A QB or No? - Also QB Importance vs Building a Top 5 D 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Draft A QB or No? - Also QB Importance vs Building a Top
steensn wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
Just answer this question: Do you think Peterson will be as good of a CB as Suh is a DT? If not, then you can't draft him #2, sorry. The money just isn't there.

I don't think Peterson is a #2 pick, he won't be a Suh level.

I don't see anybody worth Suh money there at #2 for the Lions. Since the $ is a given, gotta pay it to the guy who will most help the team in the long run.

December 10th, 2010, 1:45 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Good point.. I think Prince is better...

December 10th, 2010, 2:09 pm
Div 1 - Starter

if prince is better than somebody just show me some film on peterson getting owned, then i might agree with one of you. but i have to tell you, the guy in the video that i have posted below i dont want nothing to do with. well at least at number 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVeWn3bwWTg

December 10th, 2010, 7:23 pm
RIP Killer

Really? Are you taking the time to critically look at what is happening on that video? He had one actually good pass completed on him and he had perfect coverage. He got beat ONCE and drew a PI but caught up to the receiver and didn't need to do it. Everything else was a trick play or come back routes you cannot cover...

December 11th, 2010, 12:33 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Hopefully with todays win my whole Luck at #1/2 is a moot point. I think the viqueens game is very winnable, and that could put us picking as late as 6th or 7th.. we may be at 4-5 even if we lose the rest.

That puts us in a great position to draft petersen/prince or even another position if someone else steps up without paying themCJ/Stafford/Suh type money.

December 12th, 2010, 7:31 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

I think the idea of drafting Luck or any other QB in the first round is out of bounds. Stafford has gotten injured a bunch, that's true. But, when he's played he's shown the ability to get the job done and lead this team. Now, this is coming from a guy who didn't want Stafford to begin with, so it's not like I have been a big fan of his. His injuries have been unfortunate, but it's not like he is a bad QB. And the fact is, I feel that this offense has responded with either Hill or Stanton under center, so it's not like they NEED a franchise style QB to score points, though it certainly would help. What IS needed is defensive help, BIG TIME. They have their d-line, now they need to get coverage help and some LBs that can tackle someone. I have posted numerous times about how long it's been since the Lions have drafted a CB in the first round, despite the many, many times one of quality has been available at their numerous first round selections throughout the years. Their pass defense has been horrid for a vast number of seasons. A quarterback will NOT improve that statistic, at all.

I understand that teams basically need a top flight QB to get through the playoffs and into the SuperBowl. But having one doesn't get you the free pass into the Super Bowl. You still need to be able to shutdown the opposing offense, particularly if they have a future HOF QB leading them.

Stafford, outside of being injured, has not shown us that he is not "the guy". What he has shown is that he needs to learn how to protect himself better, get stronger, and he needs to have the management and coaching staff get him an offensive line that can give him a running game, which is another thing that most SB teams have at their disposal. Right now, the Lions don't.

Get some defense in the secondary, get some offensive line upgrades, and then worry about the quarterback position if Stafford can't stay healthy. At this point, even if we take Luck or another QB, what's the guarantee that he doesn't get obliterated too?

December 24th, 2010, 2:38 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Damn, I typed out a huge respons,e and somehow lost it.

basically , I agree. Luck was the only QB id consider (I think he is the best prospect in a decade) and only if the Lions were drafting at 1/2. My condition was also that a nerw rookie wage scale was in place. Additionally Stafford was stillt he starter, but it was a hedged bet that he will end up injured. I never actually expected Mayhew/Schwartz to consider it since they <3 Stafford, so it was a hypothetical discussion.

It was based around us picking at #1/2 which is where we looked when the discussion came up midseason. Now that we are at 5+ I agree that even the hypothetical is out. Now we see that Stantona nd Hill can win with this team, we go into next season with Stafford - Stanton/Hill - Or possibly even dropping 1 of them and keep ZRob/Young Guy w Potential.

CB/OL/LB is the needs for this year, and we must have at least 1 of each, and likely 2 LBs fromt he draft. I dont thinkw e need 2 CBs, b3ecause we have a bunch of young CBs with potential.. but I would be happy if they got a better FA than Vasher, kept houston, and paired those 2 as the starters with a 1st/2nd rd rookoe competing to start also, along with A Smight for Nickel, and having A Berry and J Williams & Brandon Mac as the depth.

December 24th, 2010, 3:12 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Team MVP

steensn wrote:
Really? Are you taking the time to critically look at what is happening on that video? He had one actually good pass completed on him and he had perfect coverage. He got beat ONCE and drew a PI but caught up to the receiver and didn't need to do it. Everything else was a trick play or come back routes you cannot cover...

Exactly. Thats the problem I see with some people trying to be "Draft Analysts" is that they search on YouTube, find one video, and analyze from there instead of actually watching them on Saturdays.

Personally, from what I've seen from Prince, id LOVE to have him in a Lions uniform.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 24th, 2010, 3:47 pm
RIP Killer

vankman79 wrote:
if prince is better than somebody just show me some film on peterson getting owned, then i might agree with one of you. but i have to tell you, the guy in the video that i have posted below i dont want nothing to do with. well at least at number 2

The video proves nothing. I've seen five LSU games this season, and I've come away somewhat unimpressed with Peterson defensively. Teams do tend to throw away from him, but that just means the other corner isn't as good as Peterson. Peterson is a gambler who relies more on his natural skills and less on technique. That is one of the reasons why there are those who feel Peterson might be better suited to play safety in the NFL. Every corner back is going to have his bad days now and again. I haven't watched but one Nebraska game this season, and I didn't hear Amukamara's name getting called, which is a good thing.

Oh, and one more thing....that PI call was absolute garbage. He never interfered with the guys ability to catch the ball or get to the ball, and it was five yards overthrown. It was a horrific call by that official, and he should have been publicly ripped for it. That was a home team call if ever there was one.

Peterson may turn out to be a great CB in the NFL, or he could become like a Tye Hill. Same thing goes for Amukamara. But the fact is, most experts (not the boneheads who put together highlight videos on YouTube) have said that while Peterson has greater athletic talents, Amukamara is more consistent and has better technique. My personal opinion is that if Peterson hasn't learned technique by now, it's going to be difficult to get him to accept it at the next level.

December 24th, 2010, 4:03 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

m2karateman wrote:
vankman79 wrote:

The video proves nothing. I've seen five LSU games this season, and I've come away somewhat unimpressed with Peterson defensively. Teams do tend to throw away from him, but that just means the other corner isn't as good as Peterson. Peterson is a gambler who relies more on his natural skills and less on technique. That is one of the reasons why there are those who feel Peterson might be better suited to play safety in the NFL. Every corner back is going to have his bad days now and again. I haven't watched but one Nebraska game this season, and I didn't hear Amukamara's name getting called, which is a good thing.

Oh, and one more thing....that PI call was absolute garbage. He never interfered with the guys ability to catch the ball or get to the ball, and it was five yards overthrown. It was a horrific call by that official, and he should have been publicly ripped for it. That was a home team call if ever there was one.

Peterson may turn out to be a great CB in the NFL, or he could become like a Tye Hill. Same thing goes for Amukamara. But the fact is, most experts (not the boneheads who put together highlight videos on YouTube) have said that while Peterson has greater athletic talents, Amukamara is more consistent and has better technique. My personal opinion is that if Peterson hasn't learned technique by now, it's going to be difficult to get him to accept it at the next level.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that feels Peterson is overrated. But, in all fairness he has one game left to impress. Actually, in this years collegiate season I haven't seen a CB yet that wowed me. The Lions won't reach on d-day, so we might not get a corner til 2nd thru 4th rounds.

December 24th, 2010, 4:36 pm
Team MVP

liontrax wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
vankman79 wrote:

Glad to see I'm not the only one that feels Peterson is overrated. But, in all fairness he has one game left to impress. Actually, in this years collegiate season I haven't seen a CB yet that wowed me. The Lions won't reach on d-day, so we might not get a corner til 2nd thru 4th rounds.

Add to to the list of those who think Peterson isnt THAT good.

I think if we were to draft at #5 tomorrow, we could easily land one of the two. But is #5 too high to draft a CB? If that answer is yes (which i personally dont think it is), then what other position makes sense at that point?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 24th, 2010, 5:18 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

5 isn't too early to draft a CB. #2 was too high when we talked about Berry, but 5 is about the right spot for either Prince or Peterson. I know they might have reached for Spievey at #3 last year, but I think the front office and scouting department has done a pretty good job the last two drafts, and I'll trust them to pick the right one.

December 25th, 2010, 7:53 am
Rookie Player of the Year

I mentioned earlier about my concerns with Peterson at the next level and why I'd prefer Prince at the top of the draft and that hasn't changed. The thing that I can't understand about Peterson is when I read that he is good in run support. I've watched a few LSU games this year and he has either whiffed on tackles when he does come up to support the run or he waits and then piles on after two or three other players have made the tackle. I also don't like how he likes to play so far off the LOS and waits on the play, with his size and speed he should play up on the line more and get physical with the receivers. If you watch Prince he is aggresive in run support and more often than not he is up in the receiver's face not allowing an easy release.

There are probably at least 7 or 8 quality CBs available in this draft and I'm looking forward to seeing Carmichael versus Luck and Chekwa versus Mallett. There are others but those are two matchups that intrigue me.

December 25th, 2010, 8:25 am
Hall of Fame Player

I think we need to start considering Brandon Harris also. Because I think we will win at least 1 out of our last 2 games. And that will drop us as far as to #14 potentially if we win both games. Even if we don't win another game this season, we are in prime trade down position for a team wanting a QB.

December 25th, 2010, 10:31 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I've only seen a couple of Miami games, but I liked what I saw out of Brandon Harris as well. If the Lions trade back to the mid 1st round, I would have no problem if they selected him.

December 25th, 2010, 11:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next