View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 20th, 2014, 2:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Hindsight is 20/20 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Hindsight is 20/20
I think we all have a pretty good idea of what's happened with the guys from Mayhew's first two drafts, but what about the guys we didn't take? I thought it would be cool to have a thread where we talked about the guys Mayhew could've drafted but didn't. So if you know, put them here. Some questions I have...

2009 (O-Line): We hear a lot from the peanut gallery that we should've gone O-line before taking a QB. But haven't the O-linemen taken in the top 10 been busts? What about Oher? I know he had a good first year, but has he experienced a 'sophomore slump' at all?

2010 (Cornerbacks): The Best trade-up is controversial, I believe mainly because he got hurt. What about the cornerbacks everybody wanted us to take? My impression from the Jets is that Kyle Wilson is playing pretty poorly (I know we would've had to trade up even higher to get him). What about Chris Cook, who the Vikes took with our pick? I think I remember he was doing well in the preseason, but I believe he got hurt.

December 3rd, 2010, 10:51 pm

Post Re: Hindsight is 20/20
As far as CBs go or players in general McCourty was one of if not my favorite player in this last draft. There was almost no way they could have traded back to the middle of the draft to get him so I was fine with Suh. But it was heart breaking to see New England get him. Then he feasted on Lion for Thanksgiving.

December 3rd, 2010, 11:29 pm

wasnt Vontae Davis available when we picked Pettigrew also? I like Pettigrew, but I really liked Davis and I've heard at least 1 analyst call him dominant and maybe the next revis. I like his style and I think (with 20/20 hindsight) that we would have been fine at TE with Scheff / Heller / Gronk and Vontae Davis as our #1 Corner right now.

I also was a fan of Oher and Alex Mack going into that draft, but I wasnt dissapointed when we took pett.

This game is much more fun than in the Millen years when almost any pick would have been better. Stanton over David Harris anyone?

December 4th, 2010, 6:55 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Hall of Fame Player

DJ-B wrote:
wasnt Vontae Davis available when we picked Pettigrew also? I like Pettigrew, but I really liked Davis and I've heard at least 1 analyst call him dominant and maybe the next revis. I like his style and I think (with 20/20 hindsight) that we would have been fine at TE with Scheff / Heller / Gronk and Vontae Davis as our #1 Corner right now.

I also was a fan of Oher and Alex Mack going into that draft, but I wasnt dissapointed when we took pett.

This game is much more fun than in the Millen years when almost any pick would have been better. Stanton over David Harris anyone?

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

December 4th, 2010, 10:57 am

sweetd20 wrote:
As far as CBs go or players in general McCourty was one of if not my favorite player in this last draft. There was almost no way they could have traded back to the middle of the draft to get him so I was fine with Suh. But it was heart breaking to see New England get him. Then he feasted on Lion for Thanksgiving.

Ya, everyone here seemed to like McCourty

December 4th, 2010, 4:02 pm

With all the talk of Stafford vs. Sanchez, what about Freeman? He might end up being the best of the bunch.

December 5th, 2010, 11:38 pm
RIP Killer

I am not sure why people think Freeman might be the best of the bunch. Both Stafford and Sanchez have shown better abilities, Sanchez beats Freeman out easily so far. The only thin Freeman has on Stafford is... well he's actually played!

December 6th, 2010, 11:27 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

steensn wrote:
I am not sure why people think Freeman might be the best of the bunch. Both Stafford and Sanchez have shown better abilities, Sanchez beats Freeman out easily so far. The only thin Freeman has on Stafford is... well he's actually played!

And won games!

December 6th, 2010, 11:34 am
RIP Killer

We all know that winning games doesn't = QB play.

December 6th, 2010, 11:37 am

I'd take a healthy Stafford over Freeman and definetly Snatchez any day.

December 6th, 2010, 11:33 pm

Anyone else watch the game last night. Not only did the Jets D break down, but Sanchez choked. He stared down receivers like it was his 1st game and through terrible interceptions. Not tipped balls or great defensive plays.. just terrible decisions/throws.

December 7th, 2010, 12:49 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I thought the Lions made the right choice with their first pick in each of the past two years. I wanted them to take Stafford and Suh and I still stand by those decisions. After that though, it's kind of a mixed bag.

In 2009, I was hoping for Michael Oher, but kinda saw the Pettigrew pick coming. Therefore, I wasn't that disappointed. What's funny is that I wanted Alphonso Smith with the next pick instead of Delmas, but they ended up with him anyway. Imagine that.

In 2010, I was hoping for Kyle Wilson, Devin McCourty, or Kareem Jackson with the 2nd pick, but they were all gone. Therefore, I wasn't THAT disappointed with the Best selection, but Nate Allen was also someone I was interested in.

December 7th, 2010, 11:55 pm
QB Coach

In 2009 I was all about Michael Oher. I had hoped he would come out in 2008 and we could have landed him then. Then when he stayed in school, he was talked about as a potential #1 overall for 09 and I had hopes getting him prior to all the "experts" breaking him down and causing him to slide down draft boards. I really wanted him to be the pick at 20. Another guy that so far has looked like a miss is Derrick Williams in the third. I actually called this selection in a mock draft I did and thought he had potential as a #3 WR and a KR/PR. The guy that would have probably been the best pick is Ladarius Webb.

I was wrong about Stafford. If he can ever stay healthy I think he'll be a star. I love the Suh pick. It was the correct call and I'm glad we made it. I wasn't so happy about the move for Best. I had hopes of finding a way to land Kyle Wilson but he hasn't looked that good so far. A name that isn't getting a lot of attention is Rodger Saffold. He was taken 3 picks later and from what I have heard/read/seen has been a very solid LT for the Rams this season. Spivey was a bust at corner and has had moments at S but who knows how that pick will turn out. There were some o-line men selected shortly after him who look to have a lot of potential. Jared Veldheer has started several games at LT for the Raiders. Jon Asamoah and Mike Johnson were other fan favorites around here who haven't gotten much playing time, but who may have been good picks given our deficiencies at OL.

Our guys still have time to turn out okay and the other guys make be busts . Just wanted to throw a few more names out there.

December 8th, 2010, 12:48 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
In 2009 I was all about Michael Oher. I had hoped he would come out in 2008 and we could have landed him then. Then when he stayed in school, he was talked about as a potential #1 overall for 09 and I had hopes getting him prior to all the "experts" breaking him down and causing him to slide down draft boards. I really wanted him to be the pick at 20. Another guy that so far has looked like a miss is Derrick Williams in the third. I actually called this selection in a mock draft I did and thought he had potential as a #3 WR and a KR/PR. The guy that would have probably been the best pick is Ladarius Webb.

I was wrong about Stafford. If he can ever stay healthy I think he'll be a star. I love the Suh pick. It was the correct call and I'm glad we made it. I wasn't so happy about the move for Best. I had hopes of finding a way to land Kyle Wilson but he hasn't looked that good so far. A name that isn't getting a lot of attention is Rodger Saffold. He was taken 3 picks later and from what I have heard/read/seen has been a very solid LT for the Rams this season. Spivey was a bust at corner and has had moments at S but who knows how that pick will turn out. There were some o-line men selected shortly after him who look to have a lot of potential. Jared Veldheer has started several games at LT for the Raiders. Jon Asamoah and Mike Johnson were other fan favorites around here who haven't gotten much playing time, but who may have been good picks given our deficiencies at OL.

Our guys still have time to turn out okay and the other guys make be busts . Just wanted to throw a few more names out there.

I feel it's imperative that the Lions improve in there scouting of mid-round selections. I know the jury is still out on Spievay and Williams, both 3rd rounders. But it looks to me like bust. Selections at that point in the draft are far to valuable to gamble on. You mention Veldheer, John Jerry was selected with the 9th pick in the 3rd, he's the starting RG for the Dolphins I believe. I'm sure that we could compose quite a list of better selections for the Lions in regard to the 3rd round alone over the last 2 drafts. Hopefully, Mayhew takes a hard look at improving there selections.

December 8th, 2010, 10:36 am
RIP Killer

I honestly cannot fault them for almost any pick... the later rounds are nit picky, so I'm not going there... it's a crap shoot.

But if we went OL, now we'd be saying we need a QB and second guessing. If we said CB last darft, we'd be saying they can't do anything without a good D-Line.

The issue is we had holes at about every position. Maybe a handful weren't holes. EVERY backup position is was a hole... facts are, two drafts is not enough time. We'd be 20/20 the opposite.

December 8th, 2010, 11:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]