View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 11:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!! 
Color Commentator - John Madden

Post Re: Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
I like Mason Foster and would like to see him in a Lions uni. The other name that someone brought up earlier was Greg Jones. I'm very hesitant with this guy even though he put up some ridiculous numbers. The thing that most got to me was watching him against Alabama in their winter exhibition game. Alabama was able to get their OL to the second level and render Jones useless. He wasn't able to shed blocks or make any plays. There's something about him that reminds me of Paris Lenon. Lenon makes a lot of tackles, but their usually 8-10 yards down the field. He's not a run stuffer by any means, and to play him at MLB you'd hope for more. It will be interesting to see what Jones runs at the Combine. If he can run in the low 4.7 range, someone might try him at OLB. I think he might have a better future outside then inside.

February 10th, 2011, 10:40 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Jones has been a fine college player, but he isn't even 6 ft. tall, bulked up last off season and lost some of his speed.

February 11th, 2011, 2:32 am
RIP Killer

I think many teams would move Greg Jones to the outside in the NFL. He's just not real good at shedding blocks. That became very clear at the Senior Bowl, where he just didn't seem to impress anybody in any of the drills or scrimmages.

Aside from Mason Foster, the other player who some folks liked during the Senior Bowl was LSU MLB Kelvin Sheppard. I think he could be someone the Lions may consider taking, as he might be able to either move Levy outside, or take over on the outside himself. Much will depend on how fast he runs, but he has really good size and is decent in coverage.

February 11th, 2011, 10:41 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I've never really been a Greg Jones fan and it has nothing to do with him going to MSU. He looks small, despite what some of the reports say, and appears weak. I love his speed, but I've seen him dragged too many times for my liking. He simply isn't physical enough.

Kelvin Sheppard, who M2K brought up, is someone I'm intrigued with. I saw quite a few LSU games this year to watch Peterson and Sheppard stood out to me in a couple of them. He's not an "elite" talent by any means, but he's tough and makes plays.

Mason Foster could be a possibility, but I really didn't see much of him this year to comment. He sounds great though, but I wouldn't know.

Martez Wilson is still the guy I'm enamored with though, but I'm afraid he's gonna shoot up draft boards. I'd love to get him at 44, but I doubt he'll still be there. The dude has everything you want in a LB: size, strength, speed, and toughness.

February 12th, 2011, 12:14 am
Team MVP

And what sucks for us is that really there is only one LB (Von Miller) that isnt consider a reach at 13, atleast to us. Then, we risk the chance of some of those LBs being gone at our second rd pick.

I guess the good part about that is that Mayhew proved last year he isnt afraid to move up if there is a player he really wants (Best).

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 12th, 2011, 9:13 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

slybri19 wrote:
I've never really been a Greg Jones fan and it has nothing to do with him going to MSU. He looks small, despite what some of the reports say, and appears weak. I love his speed, but I've seen him dragged too many times for my liking. He simply isn't physical enough.

Kelvin Sheppard, who M2K brought up, is someone I'm intrigued with. I saw quite a few LSU games this year to watch Peterson and Sheppard stood out to me in a couple of them. He's not an "elite" talent by any means, but he's tough and makes plays.

Mason Foster could be a possibility, but I really didn't see much of him this year to comment. He sounds great though, but I wouldn't know.

Martez Wilson is still the guy I'm enamored with though, but I'm afraid he's gonna shoot up draft boards. I'd love to get him at 44, but I doubt he'll still be there. The dude has everything you want in a LB: size, strength, speed, and toughness.

Wilson has been climbing on some of the boards and Ayers has been falling. I saw Sheppard play several times as well, was impressed with his intensity. He currently has a 3rd round grade depending on what board your looking at.
Perhaps there are some small school backers that aren't being mentioned (flying under the radar). Would like to know whether the Lions are looking for a sam or a wil, or if it really matters.

February 12th, 2011, 11:34 am
RIP Killer

At this point I think the Lions biggest need is a weakside player. If their plans are to keep Levy in the middle, that's the position they need to fill first. Bobby Carpenter was doing pretty well last season on the strong side, so while I'm not ready to say he should get the starting job, if he can carry that over it would be better than what we saw out of Peterson. Landon Johnson can back up at middle and strong side. I think the Lions are going to release Dizon (I hope), or if not, he can backup middle and weakside, but he's not a starter at all. They need a weakside starter, desperately. Von Miller would be perfect, but he's likely to be gone. After him, I think we wait until rounds two or three.

February 12th, 2011, 12:41 pm
Team MVP

I agree M2 that Von Miller probably would be perfect. Just out of curiosity, how good do you think this team is with JUST the addition of Von Miller? What im getting at is if it would be worth trading up to get him. Obviously, we would have other draft picks to contribute too, but just getting an idea.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 12th, 2011, 12:53 pm
RIP Killer

Truthfully, I think the addition of Von Miller would be very helpful, but our defense would still have some issues. I am not sold on DeAndre Levy as our MLB of the future. I think the Lions are foolish for pushing him into that position because of his intelligence, without his having the physical makeup for the position. He'd be ideal as our weakside starter. The Lions putting Levy at MLB because of his football IQ is the same as them keeping Raiola at center because he makes good line calls. Great. But what happens when he gets bowled over all the time? What good did his intelligence do then? Same thing with Levy. If he's easily taken out of plays because he has difficulty shedding blocks or moving through traffic, what good is his smarts?

My personal viewpoint is that the Lions shouldn't push to get Von Miller. I say, let the draft come to you. For the Lions to INSURE that they get Miller, they'd have to move up way too far. There are some that project the Bills to take Miller with the third pick. I don't think he goes that high, but I do think that the Cardinals will take him, provided Bowers, Peterson and Fairley are off the board by then.

I would prefer that the Lions wait until either rounds two or three to get their linebacker, maybe moving up in one of those if the player they like is still there, but I wouldn't give up a ton to get there. In fact, if Miller is off the board in round one at #13, I definitely want to see the Lions move down and then take either a DE or CB, preferrably the latter.

The Lions need to come out of this draft with at least two new starters on defense, unless the CBA is ratified and they can fill those spots in FA. If that doesn't happen, they have to concentrate on getting a starting CB and LB, or this defense will struggle.

February 12th, 2011, 1:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3