View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 18th, 2014, 1:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Improving the back 7 through the draft 
Stats Boy

Post Improving the back 7 through the draft
I did a little exercise today and jotted down 15 linebackers and 15 defensive backs that the lions could take in the top 4 rounds. Here is the list I came up with:

LB
Akeem Ayers
Von Miller
Travis Lewis
Mason Foster
Bruce Carter
Greg Jones
Quan Sturdivant
Nate Irving
Casey Matthews
Dontay Moch
Kelvin Sheppard
Chris Marve
Mike Mohammed
Mario Harvey
Lawrence Wilson

DB
Patrick Peterson
Prince Amukamara
Brandon Harris
Janoris Jenkins
Ras-I Dowling
Rahim Moore
Jimmy Smith
Brandon Burton
Rashad Carmichael
Chimdi Chekwa
Aaron Williams
Deunta Williams
Curtis Brown
Jalil Brown
Jeron Johnson

Look over that list and tell me if there is anyone that the Lions couldn't plug in that would improve the defense. How about 4? All of these guys are projected to go in rounds 4 and above. I understand that the Lions might not be in the running for some (peterson) and that some are underclassman and might not declare, but I feel like if the Lions use their first 4 picks on any four of these players the Lions defense can really improve. Thoughts?

December 31st, 2010, 4:29 pm
Stats Boy

Post Re: Improving the back 7 through the draft
Sorry about the double post, but I would just like to add that they would still have 3 rounds to address oline depth, a #3 WR, and possibly a goal line/short yardage RB. Just seems like a solid draft to me.

December 31st, 2010, 4:32 pm
RIP Killer

plach1jm wrote:
Sorry about the double post, but I would just like to add that they would still have 3 rounds to address oline depth, a #3 WR, and possibly a goal line/short yardage RB. Just seems like a solid draft to me.

Actually the Lions currently have only six picks in the coming draft, one each in the first six rounds. Our seventh rounder was traded to the 49ers for Shaun Hill. We also don't have our pick in the sixth round, but instead our sixth round pick comes from Philadelphia. We traded our sixth rounder to Seattle for Lawrence Jackson, and the seventh rounder we got from the Jets for Kevin O'Connell was part of the Chris Houston deal.

I don't see the Lions addiing two LBs and two CBs in this coming draft. One each would be tremendous, preferrably in the first two rounds. But, as they have the past two years, I believe that the Lions will draft BPA (with a slight edge to positions of need) when their pick rolls around.

January 2nd, 2011, 2:20 am
Team MVP

What does everyone think of Jimmy Smith? I've been seeing some mocks with him going anywhere from late first to mid second. If he was there at our pick in the second round I think I'd strongly consider him. He's a big guy for a corner 6'2 and seems to have good speed.

January 16th, 2011, 6:52 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
What does everyone think of Jimmy Smith? I've been seeing some mocks with him going anywhere from late first to mid second. If he was there at our pick in the second round I think I'd strongly consider him. He's a big guy for a corner 6'2 and seems to have good speed.

I like him. I'm surprised more people are'nt talking about him.

January 16th, 2011, 7:11 pm
RIP Killer

Chekwa is going to come at a VERY cheap pick and might turn into a solid CB. As well, Rolle is a solid tackler from OSU that might not even get drafted. Could be a real steal.

January 16th, 2011, 7:58 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

steensn wrote:
Chekwa is going to come at a VERY cheap pick and might turn into a solid CB. As well, Rolle is a solid tackler from OSU that might not even get drafted. Could be a real steal.

this would'nt have anything to do with them being from OSUU would it. I liked Chekwa before the injury in the bowl game but they both may be FAs after the draft

January 16th, 2011, 9:49 pm
RIP Killer

Only because I have seen them play.... not because they are OSU players. Chekwa was going to be considered a top CB before this year and has played well. He will not go undrafted...

January 16th, 2011, 11:39 pm
RIP Killer

With Chekwa having suffered a wrist injury, he gets drafted by round four, if not sooner. It's not like he blew out a knee. I'm not as high on Rolle though.

January 17th, 2011, 6:08 pm
RIP Killer

I would take a late flyer on Rolle, not a n early one. I agree on Chekwa, he only sprained his wrist.

January 17th, 2011, 6:19 pm
Head Cheerleader

I like Rolle, but I just don't see him being very productive in the NFL. Chekwa could be a good nickel back I think.

January 17th, 2011, 7:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]