View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 6:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Weak Draft? 
Mr. Irrelevant

Post Weak Draft?
Watching NFL network yesterday, and Charley Casserly (former GM) was commenting that this years senior class might be the weakest he'd ever seen. Guess it's a good year to have less draft picks (Lions with 5, fewest in the NFL).
The way I see it, it's a great year if your looking to supplement your D-line, with many good candidates at both end and tackle. Unfortunately, not a deficiency for the Lions. As I've alluded to in a previous post, the LB class leaves you wanting for more. That being said, the Lions could have to wait til next year to add to what I feel is the teams biggest deficiency. I'm not saying we don't take any LB's in this draft, just would like a better selection. In regards to the secondary, there are possibly 2 to 3 corners that rate 1st round grades, and no safety's. But, I think there is a good selection of CB's that could be available in the 2nd to 4th round area.
Looking at the other side of the ball, O-linemen, this years class of tackles are nothing special. Is there a true LT in this group? I see a bunch of RT's that are being considered as possible LT's. The guard position has a few keepers, and many college tackles get moved to guard, supplementing the position. At center, there's really not much to talk about. The WR group is somewhat of a brite spot, with several prospects that could fill the Lions need of a 3rd receiver, just afraid that we might have to spend a 2nd or 3rd round selection to get the one we want. Feel that it's a good year to have a need for a RB, many choices for a team looking for a back, as we are.
I adhere to the school of thought that it's important to be strong up the middle. On the defensive side, the Lions have made a big improvement in this area. It is now become a strength, with the only concerns being with Levy's ability to stay healthy, and who will be playing SS. I can't say the same for the offensive side, and feel it's imperative we improve our interior line play.

Players in this draft, I like by position:

C - Tim Barnes C, Missouri and John Moffitt OG, Wisconsin (listed because he can play both)

G - Danny Watkins OG, Baylor, Will Rackley OG, Lehigh, Justin Boren OG, Ohio State, Zach Hurd OG, Connecticut ( I'm of the opinion that your guards should be the meanest, nastiest, sob's on the field)

T - Marcus Cannon OT, T-C-U, David Mims OT, Virginia Union ( really don't see this position as a priority or need)

WR - Titus Young WR, Boise State, Torrey Smith WR, Maryland, Edmund Gates WR, Abilene Christian, Ricardo Lockette WR, Fort Valley State, Aldrick Robinson WR, SMU

RB - Mikel Leshoure RB, Illinois, Jamie Harper RB, Clemson, Mario Fannin RB, Auburn ( think we need a bigger back in our arsenal, have to admit haven't spent much time looking at RB's)

DE - Robert Quinn DE, North Carolina, Aldon Smith DE, Missouri, Cameron Jordan DE, California, J.J. Watt DE, Wisconsin, Jabaal Sheard DE, Pittsburgh

LB - Bruce Carter OLB, North Carolina, K.J. Wright OLB, Mississippi State, Quan Sturdivant OLB, North Carolina, Martez Wilson OLB, Illinois, Mark Herzlich OLB, Boston College, Colin McCarthy ILB, Miami-Florida, Nate Irving ILB, NC State (to me LB's should be instinctive, tough guys, and those traits should take precedent over fast guys. Not saying all these guys I listed fit that bill. I left Von Miller off the list because he will be long gone by the time we select.)

CB - Curtis Brown CB, Texas, Jimmy Smith CB, Colorado, Davon House CB, New Mexico State, Brandon Harris CB, Miami-Florida, Rashad Carmichael CB, Virginia Tech, Prince Amukamara CB, Nebraska (are any of these guys a #1 corner?)

S - Chris Culliver FS, South Carolina, Quinton Carter FS, Oklahoma, Deunta Williams SS, North Carolina, DeAndre McDaniel SS, Clemson, Tyler Sash SS, Iowa, Joe Lefeged SS, Rutgers

The list I composed is not in order of my preference. Just a generalized list of guys I like, some that I think could develop into solid pro's.

March 31st, 2011, 10:42 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Weak Draft?
Just because a draft has a weak senior class doesn't mean the overall draft class is weak. I thought the draft class last year was fairly weak for seniors, but overall pretty strong. Since so many underclassmen knew a new CBA would potentially put a rookie wage scale in this place, more than usual made the jump - thus a weak sr. class this year.

March 31st, 2011, 12:54 pm
Profile WWW
Position Coach

I would love to land Titus Young somehow

March 31st, 2011, 2:42 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

Saying a draft is weak is sort of silly. Sure, there isn't the home run type of guy at the top of the draft, but I think most of these kids are going to end up being solid players. There may not be a ton of Pro Bowl type of kids but it's way too early to know if any of these guys will pan out. How do we know if anyone in the draft will pan out? I think it's silly to say anything like this before about 3 or 4 years after the fact.

March 31st, 2011, 3:23 pm
RIP Killer

I have never gone into a draft where people said the draft was strong overall.

March 31st, 2011, 5:58 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:

Now that you mention it, I can't remember one either only those that were viewed as strong in retrospect.

March 31st, 2011, 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Position Coach

Personally, I think Peterson might be the best CB in the league in 3 years. Just throwin it out there

March 31st, 2011, 8:14 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

steensn wrote:

Exactly! Every year we read about how the draft class is weak--it's the annual draft cliche.

April 1st, 2011, 12:01 am
RIP Killer

mwill2 wrote:
steensn wrote:

Exactly! Every year we read about how the draft class is weak--it's the annual draft cliche.

Wrong. Last years draft was considered to be fairly strong as compared to previous years. Typically when looking at the overall draft and reviewing its strength the things concentrated on are A) strength of the top ten, and B) depth of talent throughout draft.

Last year there were some positions that weren't too strong, but overall the class was seen as a better year than most going in. While it's true you can't really judge how good the class is until three years later, you still get an indication. The performances of Bradford, Suh, McCoy, Dunlap, Berry, Haden, Thomas, etc. are pretty solid proof that last years draft was pretty strong in talent, not just in the top ten but in the first round overall.

Depth wise last year it was pretty good because, in my opinion, there were guys who slipped into later rounds or even went undrafted (LeGarrette Blount) that would easily be drafted in the earlier rounds this year, depending on position.

Good positions this year:
DE (particularly for 34 DEs, but good for 43 DEs as well)
DT (depth is good, but top level talent isn't as good as last years, in my opinion, Suh and McCoy would be rated higher than Dareus and Fairley).
CB (decent depth to the 4th round or so, big dropoff beyond that)
OG/OC - (not so much top level talent, but depth is pretty good)

Poor positions this year:
OT (no real clearcut, franchise LTs available)
LB (quite frankly, this is a weak group throughout other than a couple talents)
S (top players are OK but there are questions, sorely lacking depth)

Other positions like QB, TE, WR, RB are OK.

This is all my personal opinion.

April 1st, 2011, 11:33 am
Position Coach

@M2K

I think I would switch around CB and S because it seems like quite a few CBs will ultimately play S in the NFL. But at Safety you have guys like Ahmad Black, Deandre McDaniel, Sash, Quintin Cater, Culliver and Gomes, all of which might be 3rd day steals

April 1st, 2011, 6:57 pm
RIP Killer

Pablo wrote:
steensn wrote:

Now that you mention it, I can't remember one either only those that were viewed as strong in retrospect.

The best I have ever heard is a draft being strong in 1-2 areas but overall weak. As well, I typically here the draft "only has" 5-10 truely special talent. I've long given up on people's opinion of a draft as a whole.

April 1st, 2011, 7:17 pm
RIP Killer

Killwill25 wrote:
@M2K

I think I would switch around CB and S because it seems like quite a few CBs will ultimately play S in the NFL. But at Safety you have guys like Ahmad Black, Deandre McDaniel, Sash, Quintin Cater, Culliver and Gomes, all of which might be 3rd day steals

I understand what you're saying, but there's no guarantee that Aaron Williams, Jimmy Smith or Patrick Peterson will be playing safety. Since they are being considered by most as cornerbacks, and rated as such, that's what I'm judging on.

Ahmad Black has had some poor workouts, so I don't know how he'll do in the NFL. No doubt the kid played strongly at Florida, but with his lack of height and speed his instincts and playmaking would have to be stellar at the next level, and I don't see that being the case. The others you've listed, yes, they could be great value picks....but that leaves the top of the talent pool pretty poorly stocked...meaning rounds one and two. That makes for a poor position rating to me. Rahim Moore seems like the only player who will get first round consideration....and I don't think he'll get picked there, more than likely early to mid round two.

Corner has, in addition to those listed, Amukamara and Brandon Harris as first round locks, possibly Davon House in the latter part of round one or early round two, Curtis Brown and Brandon Burton in round two, possibly Ras I-Dowling and Chimdi Chekwa in the second, certainly the third. Rashad Carmichael is probably a third rounder as well. I also think Jalil Brown out of Colorado is going to be picked in the first three rounds. His workouts have been quite good, and like Curtis Brown at Texas with Aaron Williams, Jalil was overshadowed by Jimmy Smith. It wouldn't surprise me if both Curtis and Jalil Brown turn out to be just as good, if not better, pro CBs than Smith or Williams.

Now, if you compare that to the few safety talents listed, I think the CB position is much stronger than the safety pool, and certainly compares more favorably to past drafts than the this years safety position.

Again, just my opinion.

April 1st, 2011, 7:32 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I agree with M2K that last year was considered a strong draft. IMO, one of them comes along about every five years or so. The rest of them are always labeled as weak, as opposed to average. Why don't we ever hear them call an upcoming draft average though?

April 1st, 2011, 8:34 pm
RIP Killer

slybri19 wrote:
I agree with M2K that last year was considered a strong draft. IMO, one of them comes along about every five years or so. The rest of them are always labeled as weak, as opposed to average. Why don't we ever hear them call an upcoming draft average though?

Now that's a good point. I've never heard a draft called average. I think that most of the time analysts are comparing recent drafts to each other, and that's why it's either strong or weak.

And you're right, there are very few drafts considered "strong" versus "weak".

April 2nd, 2011, 10:29 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

m2karateman wrote:
slybri19 wrote:

Now that's a good point. I've never heard a draft called average. I think that most of the time analysts are comparing recent drafts to each other, and that's why it's either strong or weak.

And you're right, there are very few drafts considered "strong" versus "weak".

I would agree with these Gents.

April 3rd, 2011, 1:54 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next