View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 3:02 pm



Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!! 
Author Message
Walk On
User avatar

Joined: January 11th, 2006, 4:04 pm
Posts: 430
Post Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
Dontay Moch Outside Linebacker | Nevada | SR Height: 6-1 | Weight: 245 | 40-Time: 4.25


I don't want to sound like Al Davis, but we may need to take a close look at this kid. Am I the only one who didn't know a linebacker 6'1 245 pds ran a 4.25 in the 40. It's true kids go look it up, I didn't believe it either. I saw it on http://www.draftcountdown.com and thought it was a mis-print, but researched it further to find out he ran even faster and was ask to run a second time for confirmation and then a third time. You are more than welcome to prove me wrong, because I'm still having doubts. But it will give us something to look forward to at the Combine's. Screw drafting him as a linebacker, we need him in the power back position.

_________________
The REAL "Lion King" and father to Simba


December 21st, 2010, 1:47 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9848
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
OK, so he's fast.

Now the all important question......can he tackle? I have a feeling that if he were any good, we'd have heard of him already and he'd be sitting at the top of most analysts draft charts for linebackers.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


December 21st, 2010, 12:39 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2279
Post Re: Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
Don't woprry. If it is true he will become a "Workout Warrior" get drafted highly, and flounder like so many others due to unreal expecations on raw players with high measurables.

If he was a complete packagle LB with that kind of speed, he would already be known and be considered a 1st2nd rd LB.


December 21st, 2010, 3:34 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2297
Post Re: Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
His name has been out there all year but most of the draft guys aren't sure where his future is in the NFL. He could end up being an undersized DE, 3-4 OLB, or 4-3 OLB depending on how he looks in position drills. I'd speculate he will be better than Lawson but not as good as Woodley as a 3-4 pass rush OLB.


December 21st, 2010, 7:06 pm
Profile
Walk On
User avatar

Joined: January 11th, 2006, 4:04 pm
Posts: 430
Post Re: Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
m2karateman wrote:
OK, so he's fast.

Now the all important question......can he tackle? I have a feeling that if he were any good, we'd have heard of him already and he'd be sitting at the top of most analysts draft charts for linebackers.



Actually he's like a defensive stud for Nevada University breaking various school records. Go check out his Bio on the draft site, which link you to his school bio. But to answer your question from what I saw he led the team in sacks and tackles.

12/07/2010 - 2010 ALL-WAC FOOTBALL FIRST TEAM: DL-Dontay Moch, Nevada, 6-1, 245, Sr., has been selected All-WAC First Team for the 2010 college football season as selected by the WAC's nine head coaches. - WAC football

Moch is the reigning Defensive Player of the Year in the Western Athletic Conference. He has accumulated 41 tackles for loss, including 21.5 sacks, in his career at Nevada. He holds the Wolf Pack's single-season records in both sacks (11.5, in 2008) and tackles for loss (20.0, in 2009).

Moch, Dontay

TACKLES g ua a total tfl pd ff fr blk
2007 13 6 7 13 3.5 3 1 1 0
2008 13 33 17 50 17.5 2 4 0 0
2009 13 38 23 61 20.0 3 2 0 0
2010 13 43 18 61 22.0 1 2 0 0
TOTAL 52 120 65 185 63.0 9 9 1 0

SACKS g ua a total yards
2007 13 3 1 3.5 19
2008 13 10 3 11.5 93
2009 13 6 1 6.5 49
2010 13 8 1 8.5 52
TOTAL 52 27 6 30.0 213

_________________
The REAL "Lion King" and father to Simba


Last edited by Mufasa on December 21st, 2010, 9:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.



December 21st, 2010, 8:35 pm
Profile
Walk On
User avatar

Joined: January 11th, 2006, 4:04 pm
Posts: 430
Post Re: Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
sweetd20 wrote:
His name has been out there all year but most of the draft guys aren't sure where his future is in the NFL. He could end up being an undersized DE, 3-4 OLB, or 4-3 OLB depending on how he looks in position drills. I'd speculate he will be better than Lawson but not as good as Woodley as a 3-4 pass rush OLB.



Just make him a power back or strong safety and return kicks and punts. Ha! Ha!

_________________
The REAL "Lion King" and father to Simba


December 21st, 2010, 8:37 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9848
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
sweetd20 wrote:
His name has been out there all year but most of the draft guys aren't sure where his future is in the NFL. He could end up being an undersized DE, 3-4 OLB, or 4-3 OLB depending on how he looks in position drills. I'd speculate he will be better than Lawson but not as good as Woodley as a 3-4 pass rush OLB.


That's never stopped draft analysts or commentators from talking up players in the past. If he's that tremendously good, he'd be showing up in mock drafts by now, and I've never seen his name mentioned once in all the mocks I've seen so far.

Mufasa, while he may be the best of the WAC, that doesn't really hold much weight for scouts and coaches. Let's face facts, the WAC isn't exactly a powerhouse conference, and that may be what's holding him back.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade. If the guy can tackle and play the game, then I'm all for the Lions bringing him on board to shore up the LB corps. However, I wouldn't do it just for a blistering 40 time. He's gotta have the whole toolkit.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


December 21st, 2010, 11:29 pm
Profile
Walk On
User avatar

Joined: January 11th, 2006, 4:04 pm
Posts: 430
Post Re: Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
m2karateman wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:
His name has been out there all year but most of the draft guys aren't sure where his future is in the NFL. He could end up being an undersized DE, 3-4 OLB, or 4-3 OLB depending on how he looks in position drills. I'd speculate he will be better than Lawson but not as good as Woodley as a 3-4 pass rush OLB.


That's never stopped draft analysts or commentators from talking up players in the past. If he's that tremendously good, he'd be showing up in mock drafts by now, and I've never seen his name mentioned once in all the mocks I've seen so far.

Mufasa, while he may be the best of the WAC, that doesn't really hold much weight for scouts and coaches. Let's face facts, the WAC isn't exactly a powerhouse conference, and that may be what's holding him back.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade. If the guy can tackle and play the game, then I'm all for the Lions bringing him on board to shore up the LB corps. However, I wouldn't do it just for a blistering 40 time. He's gotta have the whole toolkit.


I guess you miss the part were I pointed out the kid can play, I'm not saying he's a first rounder but he's been mentioned as a second through fourth rounder. And I bet if he goes out and run a 4.25 in the 40 at the combine he'll fly up the draft boards into the mock drafts. Chris Henry was a nobody RB at Arizona State until his 40, Fabian Washington, Vernon Davis, Matt Jones, Chris Johnson and the list goes on about players and 40's times before the draft. This kid is a beast on his defense at Nevada, so your not getting someone defined only by his speed. He's proven in the WAC his body of work as a player. We seen kids come from from smaller schools with success in the Pro's. Also the WAC Conference Boise State, Nevada, Fresno State, Hawaii, isn't the toughest but they're not creampuff's either.

_________________
The REAL "Lion King" and father to Simba


December 22nd, 2010, 7:45 pm
Profile
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post Re: Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
Personally, the LB I'm hoping for is Martez Wilson from Illinois. The dude is big, fast, and makes plays all over the field. But, he doesn't get much hype, so he should be there in the 2nd round.

_________________
Image


December 22nd, 2010, 8:48 pm
Profile
5th Round Pick - Traded

Joined: March 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1049
Location: Wolverine, Mi.
Post Re: Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
slybri19 wrote:
Personally, the LB I'm hoping for is Martez Wilson from Illinois. The dude is big, fast, and makes plays all over the field. But, he doesn't get much hype, so he should be there in the 2nd round.


Looking forward to seeing him play in their bowl game. I've been intrigued by his size and numbers. The question will be, does he declare? Does he play sam or wil? Also looking forward to watching Travis Lewis from Oklahoma, good size, and speed to play the weak side. Believe he's a junior too.


December 22nd, 2010, 9:40 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: October 30th, 2004, 12:30 pm
Posts: 2205
Location: Austin, TX
Post Re: Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
liontrax wrote:
slybri19 wrote:
Personally, the LB I'm hoping for is Martez Wilson from Illinois. The dude is big, fast, and makes plays all over the field. But, he doesn't get much hype, so he should be there in the 2nd round.


Looking forward to seeing him play in their bowl game. I've been intrigued by his size and numbers. The question will be, does he declare? Does he play sam or wil? Also looking forward to watching Travis Lewis from Oklahoma, good size, and speed to play the weak side. Believe he's a junior too.


I'm a little leery on taking another Oklahoma LB, looked at what happened last time we drafted one. Teddy Lehman anyone?!

_________________
Image

NEVER GIVE UP!


December 23rd, 2010, 9:12 am
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3115
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
LionsFan4Life wrote:
I'm a little leery on taking another Oklahoma LB, looked at what happened last time we drafted one. Teddy Lehman anyone?!

that has nothing to do with this guy. I'm not defending him (I don't even know who he is), I'm just saying that the idea that a previous player's performance has anything to do with him is ridiculous.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


December 23rd, 2010, 11:59 am
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3712
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
LionsFan4Life wrote:
I'm a little leery on taking another Oklahoma LB, looked at what happened last time we drafted one. Teddy Lehman anyone?!

that has nothing to do with this guy. I'm not defending him (I don't even know who he is), I'm just saying that the idea that a previous player's performance has anything to do with him is ridiculous.



You say that...but i have certain cautions about certain schools. it's all superstition mind you...but they are in my head all the same. I asked the question before and no one answered me...when was the last time the lions took a player from Michigan State that was actually productive while they were here. I can think of a 1/2 dozen picks in the last 15-20 years that didn't...that makes me paranoid... 8-[

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


December 23rd, 2010, 12:53 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: October 30th, 2004, 12:30 pm
Posts: 2205
Location: Austin, TX
Post Re: Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
I can't think of one Joe.

_________________
Image

NEVER GIVE UP!


December 23rd, 2010, 1:21 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3115
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
The simple answer regarding MSU players is that there aren't many productive players from MSU in the entire NFL. MSU is not a real strong football program most years, so they don't attract a lot of top tier talent. So you're using an extreme example. Oklahoma on the other hand is typically in the top 10-15 in the nation so they do attract top talent. Whether they have a history of good linebackers or not is irrelevant. If the guy is a good player it doesn't matter where he's from.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


December 23rd, 2010, 6:37 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.