View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 9:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 If the Lions hadn't won one of their last four games 

If the Lions picked at #6, who would you want?
Prince Amukamara 48%  48%  [ 11 ]
Marcell Dareus 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Von Miller 48%  48%  [ 11 ]
Robert Quinn 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 23

If the Lions hadn't won one of their last four games 
Player of the Year - Offense

Post Re: If the Lions hadn't won one of their last four games
I believe it is pretty safe to say that a strong sense of faith, speaks more to a level of maturity than anything else. I'm not going to attribute it to one faith or another, because that's ridiculous, but I would hazard to guess that guys with a strong sense of themselves and their place in life, are more grounded.

T.O., Ocho Stinko, and even that knucklehead who's now an ESPN announcer (the former USC receiver) all show a level of selfishness, or grandstanding behavior. They continually show, or have shown a tendency to demand the spotlight, where people of sound football character, and or faith, realize it's a team venture and if they do well the team can do well.

Vick is showing some upside that I think is coming with maturity, and could be a good example. That's my thoughts anyway.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

March 4th, 2011, 6:47 pm
RIP Killer

Equating faith to maturity is wrong and quite frankly insulting. One of the many assumptions made by those of faith about those who don't. Just one more way to look down upon those who don't share your beliefs.

Does intelet translate into maturity? Many think so which is interesting since studies prove those lacking belief score higher than believers on IQ test.

Did TO, Moss, etc. have a strong sense of faith? I'm not sure, but I do remember TO attributing his injury recovery prior to the Super Bowl large part due to his faith so take that for what it is worth.

Additionally, my biggest issue with all of this is that I can't understand how you can lump people (or sterotype them) based on their belief or lack of belief. I'd much prefer each person be judged as an individual and judged on their own merits or lack thereof.

Imagine if Atheist or Agnostics where 80-90% of the population and where making judgements about those who believed/worshiped what they viewed as essentially fairytales? I would hate to make assumptions on a great player like Reggie ""The Minister of Defense" White because he believed in Jesus even though that in no way impacted his ability to play the game. That would be just plain silly now wouldn't it.

Interesting how this Christian ministry and ordained Evangelical minister also later began studying Messianic theology (Judaism) which didn't sit well with Christians but that is a different story.

Can we please judge football players as individuals and not attribute maturity to them based upon their belief systems...

March 4th, 2011, 8:14 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Pablo, I don't think he was saying that all those folks who are not religious practitioners are immature. You are taking it personally. I believe what was trying to be said is that the "perception" is that those who show a strong faith are more mature. The reason is likely because most young people don't seem to be interested in such activities, as it takes away from their more "immature" activities of partying, etc.

Personally, I think the two are completely unrelated. The most mature acting player I knew of was Barry. He never brought up his faith, or threw his beliefs around haphazardly. He didn't try to get the limelight thrown onto himself. Deion was always mooching the limelight, and he was praising God at the same time. I never considered Deion, despite his athletic talents, to be a very mature person, even to this day.

March 4th, 2011, 8:33 pm
RIP Killer

Off topic?

March 4th, 2011, 9:00 pm
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
Pablo, I don't think he was saying that all those folks who are not religious practitioners are immature. You are taking it personally. I believe what was trying to be said is that the "perception" is that those who show a strong faith are more mature. The reason is likely because most young people don't seem to be interested in such activities, as it takes away from their more "immature" activities of partying, etc.

Personally, I think the two are completely unrelated. The most mature acting player I knew of was Barry. He never brought up his faith, or threw his beliefs around haphazardly. He didn't try to get the limelight thrown onto himself. Deion was always mooching the limelight, and he was praising God at the same time. I never considered Deion, despite his athletic talents, to be a very mature person, even to this day.

Good points M2K! I don't care if someone has faith or not, I just want to evaluate them as football players on their individual merits.

March 5th, 2011, 1:17 pm
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

Didn't mean to hurt anyones feelings on this one. I just think for a young man to put a lot of time into what he believes shows good character whether he is Muslim Christian or whatever. I think if you look at the S Abdullah for the Vikings is a good example I think he is Muslim and had to fast during training camp and all of the coaches saw it as a positive thing.

March 5th, 2011, 7:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2