View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 6:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 QB's 
Stadium Announcer

Post Re: QB's
Tcginr
You are right I thought you meant turn into Phillip rivers now lol. If that were the case I would want the lions to draft him.

March 9th, 2011, 12:15 pm
Pablo wrote:
steensn wrote:
I can see Mallet's attitude dropping him, but I just have no freaking clue why anyone thinks Newton is going to get it done.

Cause the dood is a stud if you don't mind a very limited (one year) body of work, no pro set experience but rather running QB in a spread offense, poor throwing mechanics, poor footwork, tendancy to overthrow on long throws, questionable vision, bad combine performance, and questionable attitude given his own statements saying he is an "Entertainer And Icon" along with the issues surrounding his recruitment at Auburn.

What's not to love??? I hope he goes in the top 5...

I said that his athleticism would raise him to the top of the draft boards and he would be a top 10 pick two months ago, and I was told that I was nuts. I stand behind it. Teams just fall in love with the "possibility" of what they could end up with.

March 9th, 2011, 1:39 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:
steensn wrote:
I can see Mallet's attitude dropping him, but I just have no freaking clue why anyone thinks Newton is going to get it done.

Cause the dood is a stud if you don't mind a very limited (one year) body of work, no pro set experience but rather running QB in a spread offense, poor throwing mechanics, poor footwork, tendancy to overthrow on long throws, questionable vision, bad combine performance, and questionable attitude given his own statements saying he is an "Entertainer And Icon" along with the issues surrounding his recruitment at Auburn.

What's not to love??? I hope he goes in the top 5...

I said that his athleticism would raise him to the top of the draft boards and he would be a top 10 pick two months ago, and I was told that I was nuts. I stand behind it. Teams just fall in love with the "possibility" of what they could end up with.

My bad, I thought that the NFL was learning that athletisism for a QB doesn't mean anything when the guy can't make good decisions.

March 9th, 2011, 1:54 pm
Nope! We're a buy now and pay later society and the NFL is a business. The fact is that it makes financial sense to draft Cam Newton. The promise of his potential play alone is enough to boost ticket sales to the point of profitability (for his contract), and drafting a Qb is a sure fire way to keep your fan base interested for at least 3 years (developmental time), as we have all experienced..

March 9th, 2011, 9:40 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Nope! We're a buy now and pay later society and the NFL is a business. The fact is that it makes financial sense to draft Cam Newton. The promise of his potential play alone is enough to boost ticket sales to the point of profitability (for his contract), and drafting a Qb is a sure fire way to keep your fan base interested for at least 3 years (developmental time), as we have all experienced..

Short term gain, long term loses. Look at Oakland... draft for short term excitement end up with a crappy team and less ticket sales in the long run. Compare that to NE, PIT, etc who drafts smart with less and you get some of the best ticket sales in the country.

Our country thinks int he short term, we never plan long term which is what makes money.

March 10th, 2011, 11:41 am
steensn wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Short term gain, long term loses. Look at Oakland... draft for short term excitement end up with a crappy team and less ticket sales in the long run. Compare that to NE, PIT, etc who drafts smart with less and you get some of the best ticket sales in the country.

Our country thinks int he short term, we never plan long term which is what makes money.

I would be willing to bet that Oakland remained profitable throughout that whole mess. As a business, it's tough to argue with that. As a "team" standpoint, what they did was foolish. From a financial standpoint they did very well for themselves.

March 10th, 2011, 2:29 pm
RIP Killer

Oakland had a streak of 11 staight blackouts and for the year were blacked out 7 of 8 games...

While they might have made it financially, they are losing fans and excitement. last year they came in dead last in the value of the franshise... Lions were 27th. Perpetually bad teams who draft for short term boost are constaintly in the lowest and perpetally good teams are constaintly the highest.

March 10th, 2011, 6:16 pm
RIP Killer

Billick rates the QB's:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Bria ... cks-041911

1. Blaine Gabbert
2. Cam Newton
3. Ryan Mallett
4. Christian Ponder
5. Jake Locker

Mine:

Mallett
Locker
Gabbert
Newton
???

April 22nd, 2011, 3:32 pm
QB Coach

steensn wrote:
Billick rates the QB's:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Bria ... cks-041911

1. Blaine Gabbert
2. Cam Newton
3. Ryan Mallett
4. Christian Ponder
5. Jake Locker

Mine:

Mallett
Locker
Gabbert
Newton
???

Billick is also the guy who took Kyle Boller in the first round. I'm not too high on his QB evaluations.

April 24th, 2011, 8:20 pm
QB Coach

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Billick is also the guy who took Kyle Boller in the first round. I'm not too high on his QB evaluations.

To be fair, he was the coach, not the GM. So he wasn't the one making the draft pick. Ozzie Newsome was.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

April 24th, 2011, 8:27 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

In comparison to where he will likely be drafted vs Production, i think Andy Dalton will end up being the best Qb of the bunch within a few years.

April 25th, 2011, 3:52 am
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

My list goes this way:

1. Blaine Gabbert
2. Jake Locker
3. Christian Ponder
4. Andy Dalton
5. Ryan Mallett

I think Gabbert will have a successful career, albeit not one of HOF caliber or distinction. I think Locker will be up there with him, but will be more dependent on having a solid surrounding cast. Ponder will be efficient in the right offense, the same with Dalton. If either of them are put in the right system, they could flourish and surpass both Locker and Gabbert. Mallett has too many flaws in his game and character to become a successful NFL QB. I see too much Jeff George in him. I predict Newton will be a monumental bust.

Colin Kaepernick is the sleeper. It's tough for me to judge him. He's got a good arm, but I don't know if he has the decision making skills to succeed. We'll see.

April 25th, 2011, 11:43 am
RIP Killer

For QB's, the scheme and situation they go into is absolutely critical so it is darn near impossible to rank them until after the draft. I'm not a fan of pretty much any of these QBs, if I was forced to take one I'd probably hold my nose and take Locker.

April 25th, 2011, 11:55 am
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

I hated the Stafford pick at the time. Huge Pat White Fan. Vince Young should have been no. 1. To me Colt Brennan > Colt McCoy.

So I give up scouting QB's.

FWIW I love me some Luck... doesn't bode well for him.

April 25th, 2011, 3:05 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Honolulu_Blue wrote:
I hated the Stafford pick at the time. Huge Pat White Fan. Vince Young should have been no. 1. To me Colt Brennan > Colt McCoy.

So I give up scouting QB's.

FWIW I love me some Luck... doesn't bode well for him.

Lol.. love the honesty... we were dead opposite on everything accept Stafford. Jury is still out on that one though. I feel like QB is the only position i actually get... I'm usually dead wrong about everything else.

April 25th, 2011, 3:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next