HARD HITTING DETROIT LIONS FORUM
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/

QB's
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14431
Page 3 of 3

Author:  DJ-B [ April 27th, 2011, 3:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: QB's

Honolulu_Blue wrote:
I hated the Stafford pick at the time. Huge Pat White Fan. Vince Young should have been no. 1. To me Colt Brennan > Colt McCoy.

So I give up scouting QB's.

FWIW I love me some Luck... doesn't bode well for him.


Props for the Honesty. Im with you on Luck, so hopefully you are right on that one.

Author:  steensn [ May 2nd, 2011, 10:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: QB's

What better situation could Mallett ask for? Come in, get a few years behind Tom Brady, learn from the best, work on the attitude, then take over a historic franchise. Not too shabby!

Author:  WarEr4Christ [ May 2nd, 2011, 11:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: QB's

Sounds like what happend to Brady, worked behind Bledsoe and then stole the show.

Author:  steensn [ May 2nd, 2011, 11:40 am ]
Post subject:  Re: QB's

Brady has a contract till 2014 when he'll be 36 at the start of the season... if Mallet can hold out, take advantage of the situation, show a level of maturity in the situation, he could easily give the Patriots a reason to move on from Brady at that time. Patriots always move on too early rather than too late.

Author:  DJ-B [ May 2nd, 2011, 1:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: QB's

Its also Possible if he wina another 1 or 2 Brady could be ready to walk away. In the "Worst Case" Brady plays long and they extend his contract and they trade Mallet away in 2 years for picks like they did with Cassell.

Author:  m2karateman [ May 2nd, 2011, 3:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: QB's

With Drew Stanton likely to move on, I'd love to see the Lions take a close look at Pat Devlin and bring him in as a UDFA. He's got an OK arm, but has decent size and with some NFL level coaching could turn out to be a solid backup if not a decent starter in a pinch.

Author:  DJ-B [ May 2nd, 2011, 7:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: QB's

I wouldnt mind it either. Yes he was only a 1AA Qb (with an awesome helmet), but he also has High level experience. Isnt Delaware almost always deep int he playoffs or even winning/runner up in the finals?

Author:  wjb21ndtown [ May 2nd, 2011, 8:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: QB's

I'd bet money that Mallet never has a chance to play full time Qb for the Pats, barring injury to Brady. I think NE does what they did with Cassel to Mallet. Sit him, start him in spot duty after a year or two, and command a king's ransom for him when they get rid of him.

NE gets a backup Qb with good measurables and a good arm for next to nothing for a couple of years PLUS a first or second round draft pick for him when they deal him later, the next team... well... they get to over pay for the ego centered problem child Qb...

Author:  steensn [ May 2nd, 2011, 8:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: QB's

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I'd bet money that Mallet never has a chance to play full time Qb for the Pats, barring injury to Brady. I think NE does what they did with Cassel to Mallet. Sit him, start him in spot duty after a year or two, and command a king's ransom for him when they get rid of him.

NE gets a backup Qb with good measurables and a good arm for next to nothing for a couple of years PLUS a first or second round draft pick for him when they deal him later, the next team... well... they get to over pay for the ego centered problem child Qb...


You think they get something for Hoyer first though and keep Mallet a little longer? He showed some ability to be a starter, maybe just enough to grab a 2nd or 1st for him little Cassel. They would keep Mallet then for a few years at #2.

Author:  slybri19 [ May 2nd, 2011, 8:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: QB's

Brady said the other day that he wanted to play for another 10 years. Since I can't see the Pats getting rid of him, I'll guess that Mallett will become their next Matt Cassell in a couple of years. Let him learn behind Brady for awhile, then ship him out for a 2nd round pick to a QB needy team.

Author:  thelomasbrowns [ May 2nd, 2011, 10:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: QB's

slybri19 wrote:
Brady said the other day that he wanted to play for another 10 years. Since I can't see the Pats getting rid of him, I'll guess that Mallett will become their next Matt Cassell in a couple of years. Let him learn behind Brady for awhile, then ship him out for a 2nd round pick to a QB needy team.


Don't underestimate Bill B.--guy has a heart of stone. When he was talking about Mallett during the draft, he's like, "he'll come in and compete with other QBs--Hoyer, Brady, etc."--as if Brady's just another QB on their roster. Look what happened with Bledsoe. Guy is ruthless.

Author:  wjb21ndtown [ May 3rd, 2011, 10:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: QB's

thelomasbrowns wrote:
slybri19 wrote:
Brady said the other day that he wanted to play for another 10 years. Since I can't see the Pats getting rid of him, I'll guess that Mallett will become their next Matt Cassell in a couple of years. Let him learn behind Brady for awhile, then ship him out for a 2nd round pick to a QB needy team.


Don't underestimate Bill B.--guy has a heart of stone. When he was talking about Mallett during the draft, he's like, "he'll come in and compete with other QBs--Hoyer, Brady, etc."--as if Brady's just another QB on their roster. Look what happened with Bledsoe. Guy is ruthless.



Bill B is also a genius and a great judge (and manipulator) of character. I think he knows that Mallet is a head case, and will stay away from him as a long-term solution.

You are right though, he cut ties with Randy Moss, Dieon Branch, Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, etc. No one is safe on his roster. However, I think Brady has at least 2 more years before he starts looking rough on the field.

Author:  LionsFan4Life [ May 3rd, 2011, 11:53 am ]
Post subject:  Re: QB's

I think Brady will win 1 more ring before he hangs it up.

Author:  steensn [ May 6th, 2011, 4:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: QB's

Interesting tidbit,

Mallet was still contemplating staying at UM with RR coming in, but Lloyd gave advice for him to leave...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/b ... aaf-wp1253

Page 3 of 3 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/