View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 10:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Cornerbacks 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Cornerbacks
sweetd20 wrote:
Hate to carry this discussion on in the CB thread but Houston would be a no go for me because of his past. He got in trouble at school for breaking their substance abuse policy and that usually isn't a very good thing for most players. I watch quite a few Georgia games every year and he just doesn't stand out enough in games. There are more times than not he just isn't giving full effort, and that's scary because you have to wonder how motivated he will be when he gets that big paycheck.

The past wouldn't have bothered me, but I just read that dummy Justin Houston tested positive for marijuana at the Combines (along with Christian Ballard). That kills it for me with him. I'd take him off my draft board. Anybody THAT stupid (having a history, then repeating it at a time when you can earn yourself millions) isn't worth a pick in the top three rounds, to me.

People that blatantly stupid just piss me off.

April 26th, 2011, 9:25 pm
Stats Boy

Quote:
Anybody THAT stupid (having a history, then repeating it at a time when you can earn yourself millions) isn't worth a pick in the top three rounds, to me.

Would you take Janoris Jenkins in the fourth round of the supplemental draft? I know it all depends on the draft this week and the labor agreement, but as soon as I saw what happened I was thinking 3rd or 4th round.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6431674

April 26th, 2011, 11:53 pm
Varsity Captain

the lions would serve well to use a 3rd or 4th round pick on janoris.he is a great young corner and if pot is his problem he will fit well in the nfl where atleast 50% of the players use.and if it was'nt for masking agents there would'nt be enough players to go around.and i would much rather take a kid smoking pot then one slamming team doctor prescribed vicodin.and dont give me the charles rogers was ruined by pot cause thats crap.rogers just had no work ethic and when he lost two years to injury he just was'nt gonna put in the work to come back.and as for the guy.s failing at the combine.well it.s a shame there names where leaked because i know there were five more besides them that failed.the leaks are a draft strategy by some teams to try to get a player to slide some and increase there chances of getting them.

April 27th, 2011, 1:00 am
RIP Killer

allenslions wrote:
the lions would serve well to use a 3rd or 4th round pick on janoris.he is a great young corner and if pot is his problem he will fit well in the nfl where atleast 50% of the players use.and if it was'nt for masking agents there would'nt be enough players to go around.and i would much rather take a kid smoking pot then one slamming team doctor prescribed vicodin.and dont give me the charles rogers was ruined by pot cause thats crap.rogers just had no work ethic and when he lost two years to injury he just was'nt gonna put in the work to come back.and as for the guy.s failing at the combine.well it.s a shame there names where leaked because i know there were five more besides them that failed.the leaks are a draft strategy by some teams to try to get a player to slide some and increase there chances of getting them.

There's a difference between using pot and having pot use you. Jenkins is obviously more than just a pot smoker, but a trouble maker as well. These are young men who KNOW that they have an opportunity to go on and make millions, but they choose to continually be stupid. I get the Charles Rogers thing, I never thought smoking pot was THE issue. But it WAS one issue for him among others.

That said, I would probably throw a fourth rounder out there for him, but not more than that. And I'd let the punk know up front, one screw up, one legal issue, and he's gone. I'd have it written into his contract.

April 27th, 2011, 10:22 am
RIP Killer

Quote:
Prince Amukamara or Jimmy Smith? Detroit Lions may have to pick their DB at No. 13

ALLEN PARK -- For the first time in years, there is a great amount of intrigue surrounding the Detroit Lions' draft. During the past several seasons, Detroit's target in the first round was pretty much a no-brainer in the final weeks before the draft.

Matthew Stafford and Ndamukong Suh were the easy picks. Now it gets a little harder for general manager Martin Mayhew, who has a lot of options with that No. 13 pick in the first round. With those options, though, come a lot of question marks, as well.

While Stafford (the No. 1 pick in 2009) and Suh (the No. 2 pick in 2010) were tremendous players with great character and very few flaws, that won't be the case with Detroit's first-round pick this season.

The Lions still will get an excellent player, of course, but there will be some baggage.

That scenario particularly is true with the two cornerbacks the Lions might consider with that first pick.

Prince Amukamara of Nebraska and Jimmy Smith of Colorado appear to be polar opposites.

Amukamara is a solid but unspectacular prospect who has great character, integrity and work ethic. Smith is more impressive with his on-field skills -- fast and smooth with playmaking ability -- but there are off-field issues.

Smith failed several drug tests during his college career and had some minor run-ins with the law in his youth. There are concerns about how important football is to him -- especially after he's signed his first big-money contract.

It's a decision the Lions might have to wrestle with on draft day because both players still could be on the board.

The Lions are in need of cornerback help because of their unsettled situation in the secondary. Chris Houston is a four-year veteran and likely will be deemed an unrestricted free agent under the terms of a new deal.

After being acquired in a trade with the Falcons last year, Houston was solid but the Lions weren't sold enough on him to offer him a long-term deal. They want to keep Houston but, if he leaves via free agency, they've got problems.

The Lions have some promising young prospects in guys like Alphonso Smith and Aaron Berry, but they were inconsistent last year. While they might step up and take bigger roles, counting on them to be solid starters at this point is a reach.

Veteran Nathan Vasher also took a big step in trying to resurrect his career late last season but, again, counting on him for a starting role might be a stretch.

By all accounts, this is a deep draft at the cornerback position -- not in terms of high quality in the top rounds, but good quality in the later rounds.

That's where the Lions might do most of their work and it's also why trading down in the first round will be so appealing to the Lions. By doing so, the Lions can acquire another pick or two.

In addition, the Lions are expected to pull in some candidates from the undrafted free agency class (like they did last season with Berry). Because of the lockout, the Lions aren't allowed any contact with undrafted free agents until a settlement is reached. The Lions, though, will be in position to pounce as soon as they're allowed to make moves.

The Lions will not be looking for safeties in this draft because they acquired veteran free agent Erik Coleman in the offseason. Coleman, who has been a starter in the league, likely will be paired with Louis Delmas in the starting lineup.

That leaves Amari Spievey, last year's third-round draft choice and John Wendling (a special teams Pro Bowl alternate) as a solid backup crew -- with Randy Phillips trying to fight his way into the mix.

April 27th, 2011, 10:56 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

http://www.freep.com/article/20110427/S ... CFRONTPAGE

Quote:
Deion Sanders to Lions: Don't gamble on cornerback

NEW YORK – Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew’s final preparations for Thursday night’s NFL draft included trading text messages with his Hall of Fame former teammate Deion Sanders about this year’s cornerback class.

“He’s looking for some cornerbacks,” Sanders, now an analyst for the NFL Network, said this morning after an appearance at a youth clinic as part of the league’s draft week festivities. “That’s the way we talk, and I respect him for that because he reaches out to not only me but several guys that have been there and done that, to see our views on guys.”

Sanders declined to say what prospects he and Mayhew discussed, but he offered thoughts on two cornerbacks who could interest the Lions with the 13th overall pick. They planned to talk again today.

Asked about Colorado cornerback Jimmy Smith, a top talent with plenty of off-field baggage, Sanders said, “You don’t gamble that high. One thing about picking that high, you don’t gamble, especially that cornerback position. Because if you do your homework and your due diligence, that can help you for the next five to 10 years. A corner’s going to play a long time, and then a corner with some size can go to safety so he can help you in the latter part of his career. You really got to concentrate on a lot of things when you’re taking a pick that high.”

Sanders said Louisiana State’s Patrick Peterson is the cream of the year’s defensive-back class, but there’s little chance Peterson will slide to the Lions or the team will trade up get him.

Peterson said today the only contact he’s had with the Lions during the pre-draft process was when the team called to verify phone numbers so he and his agent can be reached on draft day.

Sanders said he likes Nebraska cornerback Prince Amukamara but worries about his play-making ability – he had just five interceptions in 49 games as a Cornhusker.

“That may concern some,” Sanders said. “I like him, but that’s a high pick, man. If I’m putting on my GM shoes, I’ve really got to do my homework, my due diligence, see if I want to go in that direction. Because taking a guy that high, it can affect you if you miss. You can’t miss. Can’t miss.”

The Lions are in the market for one or two cornerbacks in the draft, and Sanders said they should be able to find a contributor even if they don’t take one in the first round.

“There’s some good guys, but you never know if it’s going to translate into the pro game,” he said. “At the college level they played well. You’ve got a nice group. I don’t think you have a rich group with that much depth. To say three or four of these guys are going to get in there right away, they’re going to start, I don’t know about that. But quite a few of them will contribute this year.”

April 27th, 2011, 2:01 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

So what's that tell you? Stay away from both at 13? BPA is what the Lions should do at 13. Whoever they feel that is. As for Smith, I've said before I think he's the most talented CB in this draft, but don't feel totally comfortable taking a gamble at 13.

April 27th, 2011, 6:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5