View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2014, 12:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 My Draft Review-Reaches and Steals 
RIP Killer

Post My Draft Review-Reaches and Steals
2005 Draft Review ? Reaches and Steals, Round by round

Round 1- Biggest reaches

#7 Minnesota Vikings ? WR Troy Williamson
Williamson has great wheels, but having played in an offense at college that didn?t fully utilize his ability as a receiver equates into a player that needs a longer than usual development time. Players chosen this high in the draft are expected to contribute immediately and they are usually familiar with pro style offenses. Having passed on Mike Williams to allow conference rival Detroit to nab him three picks later could come back to haunt the Vikes.

#21 Jacksonville Jaguars ? WR Matt Jones
Jones may have been one of the top overall athletes available in this draft, but his selection ahead of receivers that have played the position their entire college careers is a risk. Jones will need quite a bit of time to become used to being a receiver and passing over Mark Clayton and Roddy White was foolish. The Jaguars reached for a receiver last year, and they repeated themselves this year.

#25 Washington Redskins ? QB Jason Campbell
I don?t feel Campbell is worthy of a first round pick. Judging by what Washington gave up to get here, he REALLY isn?t worth it. The Redskins have far more outstanding needs along their offensive and defensive lines than at quarterback. This pick, this high makes me believe Joe Gibbs has lost is grasp of reality.

Round 1 ? Biggest steals

#10 Detroit Lions ? WR Mike Williams
This was definitely the most shocking pick, but also a huge steal. Williams will help the Lions red zone offense, which has been sorely lacking. He is a good downfield blocker and will create incredible mismatches in the passing game. Had he returned to school he had a realistic shot of being the number one player selected overall.

#15 Kansas City Chiefs ? LB Derrick Johnson
Rated by many as the top defensive player available, teams that overlooked him were addressing different defensive needs. It still doesn?t change his abilities against both the run and pass. Johnson instantly upgrades this porous defense and can create turnovers like no other player on the Chiefs roster.

#24 Green Bay Packers ? QB Aaron Rogers
Although the Pack had other needs, they couldn?t let this guy fall past them. Rogers is the biggest bargain in this round and fits this team well. He gets to learn from one of the best to ever play the position and will be a solid player in this league for years to come.

Round 2 - Biggest reaches

#6(38) Oakland Raiders ? CB Stanford Routt
What are they thinking over by the Bay? At best this player was a late third round talent. Many had him rated as a fourth round pick. Routt has incredible speed but doesn?t have all the abilities necessary to become an effective starter. He needs serious development time and the Raiders need someone to step in right away.

#7(39) Chicago Bears ? WR Mark Bradley
Chicago didn?t really need to take a receiver this high in the draft, but they really didn?t need to reach for Bradley here. Bradley has good speed, but not blazing speed. He is not a polished route runner and can have bouts of inconsistency. Better receivers were available at this spot.

#9(41) Tennessee Titans ? OT Michael Roos
Tennessee traded their earlier pick to Detroit and picked up an extra fourth rounder. Good move. But then they use this pick on Roos? There were at least five to six offensive tackles available that are more polished players and could have made an immediate impact. Roos, who hails from Estonia, only played one year of high school ball before going to Eastern Washington. He will need considerable development time before becoming a starter. IF he becomes that good.

Other reaches: Seattle Seahawks-LB Lofa Tatupu, St. Louis Rams-CB Ronald Bartell, Jr., Green Bay Packers-DB Nick Collins,

Round 2 ? Biggest steals

#14(46) Miami Dolphins ? DE Matt Roth
Miami got a player that was a force in the Big Ten and played well against top competition. Roth isn?t extremely fast, but has a quick first step and a high motor. Roth could have been a first round pick, and getting him in the middle of the second round is just a great value.

#20(52) Jacksonville Jaguars ? OT Khalif Barnes
Barnes has first round talent, but there is some question regarding his motivation. Should the Jags be able to keep him inspired to play hard, Barnes will pay off in a big way for them. He has great athletic ability and solid skills.

#21(53) Baltimore Ravens ? DE Dan Cody
Another high motor player that represents a great bargain in the last half of round two. Cody was once projected as a mid first rounder, but some teams soured on him due to a history of depression problems. Those teams made a big mistake, as Cody is a solid player and team leader.

Round 3 - Biggest reaches

#1(65) San Francisco 49ers ? RB Frank Gore
Gore once had promising ability, but the effect of his injuries are plainly evident. There were far more capable backs still available that this team could have chosen, and with Barlow they could have waited another round to take a back.

#21(85) Seattle Seahawks ? QB David Greene
Greene had incredible career numbers at Georgia, but it won?t translate into professional production. The Seahawks reached in consecutive rounds and won?t be happy with this draft in a few years. Greene will never be more than a backup in this league. Great leadership, but no arm to back it up.

#37(101) Denver Broncos ? RB Maurice Clarett
The Broncos ended day one with a big splash by taking Clarett a full two rounds ahead of what people expected. Shanahan is said to have reviewed film of Clarett playing in Ohio States games and liked the cutback style of Clarett?s running. That film that is two years old. I think Denver is still pissed about having a third round pick forfeited this year and wanted to stick it back to the NFL by selecting the player who challenged the NFL?s draft entry rule. Poor way to make a point, by screwing your own team.

Other reaches: Detroit Lions-CB Stanley Wilson, New England Patriots-CB Ellis Hobbs, Pittsburgh Steelers-OT Trai Essex

Round 3 ? Biggest steals

#3(67) Cleveland Browns ? QB Charlie Frye
The Browns get their signal caller of the future. Frye was considered to be a late first to early second round talent. It was thought that Green Bay was considering him in round one, but definitely would have taken him in round two if not for the Aaron Rogers free fall. Frye has a strong arm and will be a starter for the Browns in 2006.

#10(74) New York Giants-DE Justin Tuck
Could end up being the steal of the draft. Tuck has incredible athletic talent and was considered a late first to mid second round prospect. Tuck is a quick pass rusher who needs just a bit more time to develop into a well rounded player. Will be the eventual replacement for Michael Strahan.

#27(91) Tampa Bay Buccaneers-OT Chris Colmer
Colmer has first round ability but was passed over because of health problems he had in 2003. He is completely recovered from that disease and will help shore up the Bucs offensive line in quick fashion. He is adept at both pass and run blocking and has good athletic talent.

Other steals: Miami Dolphins-LB Channing Crowder, Arizona-CB Eric Green, Arizona -LB Daryl Blackstock, Tampa Bay Buccaneers-TE Alex Smith

Second Day reaches

4th round: New Orleans Saints-WR Chase Lyman
Washington Redskins-FB Manuel White, Jr.
Buffalo Bills-C Ray Preston
Philadelphia Eagles-OT Todd Herremans

5th round: Baltimore Ravens-FB Justin Green
Atlanta Falcons-OT Frank Omiyale
Indianapolis Colts-LB Tyjuan Hagler
San Francisco 49ers-WR Rasheed Marshall

6th round: Jacksonville Jaguars-WR Chad Owens
Tennessee Titans-TE Bo Scaife
Tampa Bay Buccaneers-DT Anthony Bryant
St. Louis Rams-P Reggie Hodges

7th round: Chicago Bears-S Rodriquez Wilson
Tampa Bay Buccaneers-FB Rick Razzano
New England Patriots-QB Matt Cassel
Green Bay Packers-S Kurt Campbell

Second Day steals

4th round: Minnesota Vikings-RB Ciatrick Fason
Pittsburgh Steelers-WR Fred Gibson
Arizona Cardinals-OG Elton Brown
St. Louis Rams-OG Claude Terrell

5th round: Tampa Bay Buccaneers-SS Donte Nicholson
Carolina Panthers-ILB Adam Seward
New Orleans Saints-QB Adrian McPherson
Jacksonville Jaguars-FS Gerald Sensabaugh

6th round: Oakland Raiders-DT Anttaj Hawthorne
Detroit Lions-DE Bill Swancutt
Minnesota Vikings-DT CJ Mosley
Pittsburgh Steelers-OG Chris Kemoeatu

7th round: Kansas City Chiefs-OT Jeremy Parquet
Atlanta Falcons-DT Darrell Shropshire
St. Louis Rams-QB Ryan Fitzpatrick
Tampa Bay Buccaneers-WR JR Russell

May 3rd, 2005, 12:23 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Cards got two big steals in Brown and Blackstock

Also think Dallas got a steal in Chris Canntiy

May 3rd, 2005, 12:28 pm
RIP Killer

Cards got two big steals in Brown and Blackstock

Also think Dallas got a steal in Chris Canntiy

I agree about the Cards. They drafted very well.

Chris Canty will only be a steal for the Cowboys if he can stay healthy and out of trouble.

May 3rd, 2005, 12:50 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

I think that the Lions got a steal in the 2nd round with Shaun Cody. I think he will be awesome. qtank.gif

May 3rd, 2005, 7:40 pm
QB Coach

From a source that I spoke to, Todd Herremans was not a reach by any means, and that he was off the board when he was supposed to.

His stock skyrocketed prior to the draft, and teams were very interested in him.

May 3rd, 2005, 11:40 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

I think that the Lions got a steal in the 2nd round with Shaun Cody. I think he will be awesome. qtank.gif

There is no way I call Cody a steal when we gave up an additional pick (4th round) to get him when he likely would have fallen to us anyway.

Outstanding player - but not a steal. new_argue.gif

BTY, Great work on this M2K!!

May 4th, 2005, 6:31 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]