View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 3:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Your Ideal Lions Draft??? 
NFL Team Captain

Post Your Ideal Lions Draft???
Here is your chance to make your ideal draft. Throw anything out there (within reason) and let's see what your thoughts are?

Here is mine:

Trade with New England. Move back to #17 giving New England #13 and picking up #60 in the deal. I know New England doesn't move up very often, but something sparks their eye.

#17 - Jimmy Smith CB - Peterson and Prince are gone by #13 and New England decides to move up, a rare occurence for them. This gives the Lions a better opportunity to take Smith and feel better about his situation. Game film says the kid can play and had a really good combine performance.

#44 - Bruce Carter = OLB - If he was healthy he would definitely be a 1st rounder and still could be gone by this pick. Carter could end up doing for the Linebacking crew, what Suh did for the DLine.

#60 - Davone House - CB - Might have played with an injured ankle that caused his production to dip in 2010. He did pick off 11 passes and returned 3 of those for a TD during his college career. Has a nose for the ball and he could develop into a real nice #2 CB.

#75 - Quan Sturdivant - ILB/OLB - Production dipped a little last year, but he had a tremendous Sophmore season at OLB with 122 tackles with 87 of those unassisted. He moved to the inside spot reportedly due to his football smarts. The Lions will look to move him back outside and pair him with Carter and Levy to form a formidable and dangerous Linebacking crew.

#107 Marcus Gilbert OT - A coachable athlete that can afford to ride the pine and learn in the NFL. Overshadowed by Mike Pouncey, Gilbert can be a fill in starter at RT and has played both sides. Perhaps with time, he could become the anwer to LT if the project known as "FOX" doesn't work out.

#154 Trevis Turner OT/OG - Beastly man with the opportunity be a very solid player for years to come. Another guy that can afford to ride the pine and work at getting better before being asked to contribute. Finalist for the Gene Upshaw award for lineman. 6-8 and 330lbs he could be a road grader and the answer at RT if Cherilus can't come back at high level. Turner has experience at OG also and could prove to be an upgrade at the position, earlier rather than later.

#205 Ryan Bartholomew C - Worked really hard at the combine and reports say that he thoroughly impressed a lot of people with his workout. A little short, standing only 6 foot even, but a power house with some limited skill. Probably won't surplant Railola, but anything is possible? For what it's worth Bartholomew put 34 reps in the bench press at the combine.

April 16th, 2011, 5:02 pm
Varsity Captain

Post Re: Your Ideal Lions Draft???
well since nobody wants to start i guess i will.i,ll do one strait and one with trades.first if the lions get stuck at 13
1rd-smith-since when is it to early to draft a shutdown corner and there is no question of this kids skills
2rd-bruce carter-first round talent who detroit cant pass up this late
3rd-john moffitt-powerful interior lineman who play with a mean streak and can play center or guard
4rd-mario harvey-can play inside or out has amazing size and speed combo-will be a demon on special teams
5rd-mario fannin-5-11 230 4.35 excels in the passing game but didnt see much time as a runner but when he did he avg 6.3 ypc
7rd-aamar dyson-corner out of little lincoln really caught mayhews eye.`
you know the more i think about this the more i like it.as much as i love dowling i,m starting to think he wont get past the steelers in round one.so i think they should just stay put and draft there shutdown corner and walk away happy.this would also keep us from having to do much in freeagency.here is our starting defence for 2011.could be a very formidable group
rde-kvb
rdt-williams
ldt-suh
lde-avril
wlb-palmer
mlb-levy
slb-carter
rcb-houston
lcb-smith
fs-delmas
ss-coleman

April 16th, 2011, 7:59 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I know some people here are not found of the idea of drafting offensive lineman. I guess I would be in the minority as my dream draft had us grabbing two back-to-back. I believe that that improving the o-line will have the greatest benefit to the team. It will help keep Stafford upright and it will improve the run game. An improved run game will also benefit the defense and help keep Stafford healthy.

The New England Patriots trade #17 and #74 for the Lions #13 Pick
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers trade #17 and #116 for Lions #17

1(20) OL Gabe Carimi
2(44) OL Benjamin Ijalana
Lions trade #75 anf #116 for #60
2(60) CB Ras-I Dowling
3(74) LB Mason Foster
4(107) LB Greg Jones
5(154) RB Roy Helu
7(205) WR Jordan White

April 17th, 2011, 12:09 pm
RIP Killer

Stallion wrote:
I know some people here are not found of the idea of drafting offensive lineman. I guess I would be in the minority as my dream draft had us grabbing two back-to-back. I believe that that improving the o-line will have the greatest benefit to the team. It will help keep Stafford upright and it will improve the run game. An improved run game will also benefit the defense and help keep Stafford healthy.

The New England Patriots trade #17 and #74 for the Lions #13 Pick
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers trade #17 and #116 for Lions #17

1(20) OL Gabe Carimi
2(44) OL Benjamin Ijalana
Lions trade #75 anf #116 for #60
2(60) CB Ras-I Dowling
3(74) LB Mason Foster
4(107) LB Greg Jones
5(154) RB Roy Helu
7(205) WR Jordan White

Just a question......who would NE and TB be trading up for?

April 17th, 2011, 8:28 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Lions trade 13 to San Diego for 18 and 50. Then trade 18 to Philly for 23 and 85.

23 - Jimmy Smith CB
44 - Bruce Carter LB
50 - Ras I Dowling CB
75 - Will Rackley OG
85 - Edmond Gates WR
107 - Tim Barnes C
154 - Alex Green RB
205 - Mike Mohamed LB

As always, subject to change.

April 17th, 2011, 8:28 pm
RIP Killer

I think this scenario is realistic and would help the Lions:

San Diego trades their #18 and #61 to the Lions for #13 and #154. The Chargers trade up to get either Nick Fairley or Cory Liuget ahead of St. Louis, who is in the market for a DT.

Detroit then trades down again, this time with Indianapolis, who looks to get ahead of the Giants for the opportunity to land OT Anthony Castonzo. Indy gives us #22, #53 and #119 in exchange for #18 and #61.

At #22, Detroit selects CB Jimmy Smith
At #44, Detroit selects OC Stefen Wisniewski
At #53, Detroit selects LB Mason Foster
At #75, Detroit selects LB Quan Sturdivant
At #107, Detroit selects RB Mario Fannin
At #119, Detroit selects WR Edmond Gates
At #205, Detroit selects CB Buster Skrines

April 17th, 2011, 8:53 pm
Stadium Announcer

Round 1,Prince Amukamara CB

Round 2 Ras-I Dowling CB

Round 3 Dontay Moch OLB

Round 4 James Brewers OLT

Round 5 Alex Green RB

Round 7 Eric Gordon LB

:shock:

April 17th, 2011, 11:19 pm
RIP Killer

Let me try this a different way since everyone is trading down, Lions trade up to #9 with Cowboys after Patrick Peterson slides trading the 13th and and their 4th round picks. This will leave a few holes, but the Lions go defense heavy focusing on two greatest areas of need as other spots like RB and WR are rather easy to add depth in FA.

1) Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU - the best athlete in the draft slides to 9 and Lions get shut down corner.

2) Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia - Imagine a corner group of Peterson, Dowling, Houston, Smith, etc - we turned DL into a strength last year - lets do the same with the secondary.

3) Mason Foster, LB, Washington - tackling machine joins another 3rd round pick in Levy in the LB core.

5) Casey Mathews, LB, Oregon - gotta put him in the same div as his bro, defense now pretty solid at all three levels.

7) Brandon Fusco, C, Slippery Rock - small school gem adds some punch to C spot when aging Raiola is done (plus, make him the deep snapper for now and finally dump Muhlbach).

April 18th, 2011, 11:20 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Pablo wrote:
Let me try this a different way since everyone is trading down, Lions trade up to #9 with Cowboys after Patrick Peterson slides trading the 13th and and their 4th round picks. This will leave a few holes, but the Lions go defense heavy focusing on two greatest areas of need as other spots like RB and WR are rather easy to add depth in FA.

1) Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU - the best athlete in the draft slides to 9 and Lions get shut down corner.

2) Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia - Imagine a corner group of Peterson, Dowling, Houston, Smith, etc - we turned DL into a strength last year - lets do the same with the secondary.

3) Mason Foster, LB, Washington - tackling machine joins another 3rd round pick in Levy in the LB core.

5) Casey Mathews, LB, Oregon - gotta put him in the same div as his bro, defense now pretty solid at all three levels.

7) Brandon Fusco, C, Slippery Rock - small school gem adds some punch to C spot when aging Raiola is done (plus, make him the deep snapper for now and finally dump Muhlbach).

This one would actually be fantastic!

April 18th, 2011, 11:26 am
NFL Veteran

I know it would be certainly "ideal" if we could make that type of trade with Dallas, but I think it may take more than a 4th to move up that much. Unless you are basing it on Mayhew's tendency to flog the Cowboys in trades.

What would be ideal for me is all the character/injury/question mark guys fell to us.

1) Robert Quinn DE UNC - Premier pass rusher steered clear of because of lost year on character issues

2) Ras-I Dowling CB Virginia - Injury concerns worry teams.

3) Bruce Carter OLB UNC - Scary Knee injury

4) Ryan Bartholomew C Syracuse - Shorter than teams like and a little sloppy in technique. But high character guy, blessed with natural athleticism and a workout warrior.

5) Alex Green RB Hawaii - Mid Major player with BCS size and athletecism

7) Greg Salas WR Hawaii - Let me introduce you to my Sleeper. Will have better career than Green above.

April 18th, 2011, 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Honolulu_Blue wrote:
I know it would be certainly "ideal" if we could make that type of trade with Dallas, but I think it may take more than a 4th to move up that much. Unless you are basing it on Mayhew's tendency to flog the Cowboys in trades.

It is a bit higher than going off the value chart, but that is out of whack these days. I think the Cowboys are set on Tyron Smith and they can drop 4 spots and still get their man picking up a 4th in return. Plus, it is an "ideal" draft which includes getting perhaps the best player in the draft and screwing Dallas at the same time (hopefully someone then moves up to the Vikes spot to grab the USC OT)...

BTW - two players from Hawaii, gotta be a Honolulu_Blue draft... How'd the last Rainbow Warrior player (taken in the 2nd round of course) work out for the Lions?

April 18th, 2011, 3:43 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

Pablo wrote:
Honolulu_Blue wrote:

It is a bit higher than going off the value chart, but that is out of whack these days. I think the Cowboys are set on Tyron Smith and they can drop 4 spots and still get their man picking up a 4th in return. Plus, it is an "ideal" draft which includes getting perhaps the best player in the draft and screwing Dallas at the same time (hopefully someone then moves up to the Vikes spot to grab the USC OT)...

BTW - two players from Hawaii, gotta be a Honolulu_Blue draft... How'd the last Rainbow Warrior player (taken in the 2nd round of course) work out for the Lions?

I don't really go by the value chart anymore, I guess as a starting point you can use it. I try to use a common sense test which is a lot more subjective, and am not really sure if anyone has moved a few spots into a top 10 spot with a 4th, before. I could be wrong, I just think at 9 a team will have pickings of a really good player, and the Cowboys could do better. But you're right, the Cowboys have a weird value system on draft picks, and the logic to move down to get Smith makes perfect sense.

Re: Ikaika Alama Francis, I admit I was happy as a Hawaii alum to see him get drafted. I thought he was going into an ideal situation because our alleged d-line guru Marinelli would be able to mold him into something great. But in my hard of hearts I knew he was drafted way too early, since he was very raw and not even the best defensive end on the team. He just had a higher ceiling which he could never hope of reaching. I blame MiIIen for that.

If you are implying that taking players from certain schools is an indication of an unsuccessful draft then Charles Rogers should cross MSU off the list. BMW and Sean Cody/USC. I admit the homerism on Hawaii players because I think I can give them the type of pub that they would never get, but I've never overvalued them. In fact I take the fact that not many pay attention to them into account into their 'value' and hence the late day 3 grades they get in my ideal draft. In retrospect, I think I've been able to identify the majority of Hawaii prospects who can play at the next level. Not perfect, but I know nfl talent when I see it.

April 18th, 2011, 4:07 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Honolulu_Blue wrote:
If you are implying that taking players from certain schools is an indication of an unsuccessful draft then Charles Rogers should cross MSU off the list. BMW and Sean Cody/USC. I admit the homerism on Hawaii players because I think I can give them the type of pub that they would never get, but I've never overvalued them. In fact I take the fact that not many pay attention to them into account into their 'value' and hence the late day 3 grades they get in my ideal draft. In retrospect, I think I've been able to identify the majority of Hawaii prospects who can play at the next level. Not perfect, but I know nfl talent when I see it.

Not implying anything of the sort, just trying to give my good buddy a hard time for having two Hawaii prospects in his ideal draft just as I would expect many folks to have given me a hard time if I had both Greg Jones and Chris Rucker in mine... :lol:

April 18th, 2011, 4:16 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

I get the 'nobody heard of them before' pass I like to throw out. If I went to a bigger program, I'd be more worried about the flak I'd get for being a

April 18th, 2011, 4:28 pm
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

[quote="Honolulu_Blue"]I know it would be certainly "ideal" if we could make that type of trade with Dallas, but I think it may take more than a 4th to move up that much. Unless you are basing it on Mayhew's tendency to flog the Cowboys in trades.

What would be ideal for me is all the character/injury/question mark guys fell to us.

1) Robert Quinn DE UNC - Premier pass rusher steered clear of because of lost year on character issues

2) Ras-I Dowling CB Virginia - Injury concerns worry teams.

3) Bruce Carter OLB UNC - Scary Knee injury

4) Ryan Bartholomew C Syracuse - Shorter than teams like and a little sloppy in technique. But high character guy, blessed with natural athleticism and a workout warrior.

5) Alex Green RB Hawaii - Mid Major player with BCS size and athletecism

7) Greg Salas WR Hawaii - Let me introduce you to my Sleeper. Will have better career than Green above.[/quote
]

Hawaii have a number of players that have the skills to make a NFL squad, Greg Salas will be a fine slot receiver,Alex Green has the skills to be on the field on 3rd down as he has soft hands.Hawaii also has WR Kealoha Pilares a converted RB who can put the after burners on in a heartbeat and S Mana Silva had 7 interceptions last year and has been very productive at the position for the Warriors.These guys know what it means to the people of Hawaii and the will be a great Ambassador for both the School and the Islands.

April 18th, 2011, 9:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next