View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 8:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Final Detailed Detroit Mock 
Baton Girl

Post Final Detailed Detroit Mock
After working through my value charts and draft prospect profiles, I came up with the draft below of how I think Detroit could draft if there are no trades. As a newcomer to this board, I thought I would post it for review.

I would love to hear input on the selections. I tried to provide rationale and alternative selections for each pick as well, given the draft could take a myriad of different directions. As in most other drafts, it would be very beneficial to be able to trade down and snag an extra selection or two. There is a lot of strength in this draft from the 2nd – 4th rounds.

Without further ado:

1R: Prince Amukamara – CB – I know there has been discussion on this board and in the media about Jimmy Smith being the more talented prospect. I don’t necessarily disagree with that, but Amukamara is a safer play, and is still a top CB prospect at #13. In my opinion, they need to grab a corner in one of the first two rounds, or they will miss out on the top prospects at a major position of need.

Alternative Selections: Anthony Castonzo/Nate Solder – OT, Jimmy Smith – CB, Mark Ingram – RB, Aldon Smith/Cameron Jordan – DE

2R: Bruce Carter – LB – He is the at least the second best LB prospect in the draft when healthy, and Detroit can afford to take a gamble with their 2nd round selection on him. If he isn’t ready to play right away, Ashlee Palmer and Bobby Carpenter have proven they can fill the OLB spots at least adequately. The upside here for Carter is tremendous though.

Alternative Selections: Mikel Leshoure – RB, Rodney Hudson – OG/C, Titus Young – WR, Brandon Harris/Ras-I Dowling – CB, Jurrell Casey - DT

3R: Edmund Gates – WR – Had good production in college, and has the speed to stretch the defense vertically. He should take some of the pressure off of CJ, and is a good value in the 3rd round.

Alternative Selections: Kendall Hunter – RB, Orlando Franklin – OT, Colin McCarthy – ILB, Josh Thomas – C, Sam Acho – DE

4R: Stefen Wisniewski – OG/C – Time to plug the holes in the offensive line, and what better place to start than Center. Wisniewski can probably spend some time in Peterman’s spot at OG if necessary, and be groomed as Raiola’s eventual replacement (hopefully, sooner rather than later!).

Alternative Selections: Roy Helu – RB, Vincent Brown – WR, Quan Sturdivant – ILB, Kenrick Ellis – DT, Buster Skrine – CB, Jaiquawn Jarrett – SS, Greg Romeus – DE

5R: DeMarco Murray – RB – Consistenty good producing college back with great speed and ability to work the middle. The more I look at RB’s, the more I think Detroit will address the need either late in the draft. There are some good prospects available at this stage and later.

Alternative Selections: Ricardo Lockette – WR, K.J. Wright – OLB, Casey Matthews – ILB, Pernell McPhee – DT, Chimdi Chekwa – CB

7R: David Mims – OT – Nice project, small school OT prospect. He can be groomed as Backus’s eventual replacement, and adds good depth to a position of need. He may go earlier than this, as I have seen him projected as high as the 5th round. However, he would be an excellent choice at this stage of the draft.

Alternative Selections: Mario Fannin – RB, Aldrick Robinson – WR, Brandon Fusco – OG/C, Mario Harvey – LB, Cortez Allen - CB

April 27th, 2011, 1:08 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Final Detailed Detroit Mock
Not bad, but I have two comments:
1. I can't see Stefen Wisniewski falling past the second round, let alone well into the fourth round. Brandon Fusco or John Moffitt would more likely be the picks at that point. Wizz will be long gone.

2. DeMarco Murray is a speed back, much like we already have in Jahvid Best. The Lions need a power back.

April 27th, 2011, 1:35 pm
Baton Girl

Perhaps exchange Roy Helu for Wisniewski in the 4th, and make the DeMarco Murray selection Chimdi Chekwa instead...more realistic?

April 27th, 2011, 2:20 pm
RIP Killer

Numbers Game wrote:
Perhaps exchange Roy Helu for Wisniewski in the 4th, and make the DeMarco Murray selection Chimdi Chekwa instead...more realistic?

Buddy don't take my word as gospel. If you feel that Wisniewski can fall into the fourth, that could very well happen. I would have never dreamt that LeGarrette Blount would go undrafted last season. I really do like the idea of the Lions landing Wisniewski. If he's there in the fourth, I'd be ecstatic if the Lions got him, and PISSED if they passed on him.

Chimdi Chekwa is a solid mid round prospect, so I'd be cool with that pickup. Helu or Alex Greene in the later rounds would be more than acceptable.

April 27th, 2011, 2:42 pm
Baton Girl

This draft, more than any other I have seen, will be a crap shoot. I agree with you on the Blount example. What a fantastic UDFA find he turned out to be.

April 27th, 2011, 3:14 pm
Varsity Captain

given the players you listed in the first round i would trade out of the first.

April 27th, 2011, 5:37 pm
Baton Girl

What do you think about this mock scenario?

1R: Anthony Castonzo - OT
2R: Bruce Carter - LB
3R: Edmund Gates - WR
4R: Curtis Brown - CB
5R: Chimdi Chekwa - CB
7R: Allen Bradford - RB

April 27th, 2011, 8:41 pm
Varsity Captain

why take costanzo you already have backus there the same type of player.both heavy tech guys not overpowering in the run game and both have trouble with speed rushers.lions fans have cried to replace jeff and you want to do it with his clone.lol

April 27th, 2011, 8:45 pm
Baton Girl

What's wrong with Backus? He has been a capable starter for a long time in the league. Now it's time for him to move to RG, and Castonzo takes his place at LT. Seems pretty simple :)

April 27th, 2011, 9:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]