View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 2:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Goose's Final Mock Draft - WOW! 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Goose's Final Mock Draft - WOW!
thelomasbrowns wrote:
I think the QB scenario is very realistic as I believe several QB-needy clubs are beginning to go into full-on panic mode because of the lack of trades/free agency. Could you imagine being San Fran or the Titans and going into the season with what's currently on your roster? Frightening.

I understand that, but these teams also know that before the season starts there will be free agency, and at least three clubs are looking to move quarterbacks on their rosters that can play elsewhere, not to mention some of the FA QBs that are out there. While I believe teams are willing to reach somewhat for a quarterback, there is not one QB in this class that I feel is as ready to start as a rookie as Stafford was, and I wasn't convinced of his ability to do so. Gabbert and Locker are both somewhat close, but I think they struggle mightily. Newton will never be an effective NFL starting, IMHO, and Mallett has shades of Jeff George and Ryan Leaf in him. Ponder and Dalton will need the right systems to be efficient, but I still think they don't start this season. Kaepernick has the strong potential to be a good NFL QB in any system, but will also need development time.

If those teams like Washington want to reach, that's fine by me. I just don't think they'll be quite that desperate to take a player who is a marginal first round prospect in the top ten (even a QB).

April 28th, 2011, 1:12 pm
NFL Veteran

I guess Goose really tests Mayhew BPA all the way philosophy right here. After thinking about it though, I guess he would say "screw you" to the league, "I'm taking the best player."

Although I do have Quinn higher personally and wouldn't really think about it.

This does make it interesting though if they ever want to run a 3-4. Suh and Fairley at the ends. SLH at the nose. Avril one of the rush olb's. The flexibility would be pretty awesome.

April 28th, 2011, 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

PFT wrote:
NFL general manager guarantees Locker, Dalton go top 20
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... go-top-20/
Posted by Evan Silva on April 28, 2011, 1:33 PM EDT

Nationally recognized mock drafter Rick Gosselin has Washington quarterback Jake Locker going eighth overall to the Titans, and TCU quarterback Andy Dalton twelfth overall to the Vikings in his final prediction for the 2011 NFL draft.

So, by now, this news probably shouldn’t surprise anyone:

“I guarantee Andy Dalton and Jake Locker will go in the top 20,” one unnamed NFL general manager says in Peter King of SI.com’s Draft Primer.

Based on what he’s heard around the league, King predicts four first-round quarterbacks including Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, Locker, and Dalton. King expects Florida State quarterback Christian Ponder and Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett to both be gone by pick No. 49 in the second round, where Jacksonville lurks.

The consensus among national pundits and draft analysts is that the 2011 draft will set a record with eight quarterbacks selected in the first three rounds. Nevada quarterback Colin Kaepernick is expected to be picked “by the end of day two,” according to King.

Iowa quarterback Ricky Stanzi is also expected to be a second-day pick, although King says “some” teams believe they can get Stanzi in the fourth.

April 28th, 2011, 1:53 pm
RIP Killer

It is so nice not sitting in a spot where we are still looking for a franchise QB. I'm not saying we have one until I see Staff stay healthy, but this is one year in particular that it would suck to be looking for a QB. This is great news for the Lions who should benefit with great talent pushed to them at #13 and #44. It should also make for a fun and exciting draft. If I hear names like Locker, Dalton and Ponder called before the Lions pick I'm going to (fill in the blank)

April 28th, 2011, 2:02 pm
Profile WWW
Team MVP

Pablo wrote:
I'm going to (fill in the blank)

..poop. And so will I.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 28th, 2011, 3:23 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

I'm bringing Toilet Paper to draft chat then...

I've heard Dalton going between 7 and 16. The Raiders have Kaepernick as their #1 QB, so will they trade back into round one? Or wait it out?

We all know FA will start again soon (Monday or Possibly June) but what's not known is the rules that FA will be based on. Some players might be listed as gone or still in the building depending on the rules and so teams will prepare differently. If teams are looking at things as a draft only scenario, they're going to reach for QB's because they might not have time to have someone new come in and learn the system. Anyone drafted this weekend will be given playbooks since doors open Friday, and at least they can get a head start to vets that might not enter the buildings until August.

The more QB's selected in the first round = better pack of talent available at #13 and #44. It might even allow Mayhew to fleece someone who's desperate to get "their guy" and move back and grab even more talent. I'm getting excited.

April 28th, 2011, 4:30 pm
RIP Killer

I'm gonna have to skip my martial arts class to watch from the start.....

April 28th, 2011, 4:32 pm

Yeah, I feel that all this QB chatter coming in the 11th hour is a sign it's legit not a smokescreen. Gonna be exciting.

April 28th, 2011, 4:34 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Yeah, I think a number of teams are high on some of these QBs, especially Dalton, and were trying to keep it quiet. No matter what goes down I think this will be one of the more exciting first rounds in recent memory.

April 28th, 2011, 4:59 pm

To go back to Honolulu's other thread, this would be the throwupin my mouth moment. Fairley has effort issues now and I can only see them getting worse when he cashes his first check. Is he the next Rogers that plays up to his talent level when it's time to get paid?

April 28th, 2011, 5:09 pm
RIP Killer

sweetd20 wrote:
To go back to Honolulu's other thread, this would be the throwupin my mouth moment. Fairley has effort issues now and I can only see them getting worse when he cashes his first check. Is he the next Rogers that plays up to his talent level when it's time to get paid?

I think playing next to KVB and Suh he would straighten up real fast. Plus you have Corey Williams and SLH ready to step in at a moments notice. This sort of leadership and depth would push him in the right direction.

Talk about an identity, if the Lions did land Fairley their defensive tackle spot would be tops in the NFL. Also, given the talents of two of the guys the Lions could actually line up four DTs across the DL:

Suh - Williams - Hill - Fairley

That could be quite a DL in short yardage situations that could still penetrate and get pressure on the QB shoud opponents decide to still throw. Imagine what NE would do with these guys... I could imagine crazy lineups such as:

Avril - Suh - Williams - Hill - Fairley - KVB

Levy

Houston - Delmas - Spiviey - Rookie CB

They would even drop a Suh, Avril or KVB back into short coverage. Ohh, the possibilities...

April 28th, 2011, 5:36 pm
Profile WWW
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I respect Goose more than any other draft guru, but that mock is absolutely crazy. While I think several QBs will go in the 1st round because of need (as opposed to talent), I expect teams to trade up into the late 1st to get them instead of selecting them in the top 12. I guess we'll see in a couple of hours.

As for Fairley to the Lions, I hope that doesn't happen. In that scenario, I would expect a team like the Chargers, Giants, Chiefs, or Saints moving up for him instead. Even though Fairley is talented, DT is probably one of the last positions I want to see the Lions draft early.

April 28th, 2011, 6:19 pm
NFL Veteran

Playing around with Goose's QB Firesale scenario

omg :shock:

April 28th, 2011, 7:07 pm
Profile WWW

Goose is the man...that's all i'm gonna say.

April 28th, 2011, 9:33 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

Amazing huh?

April 28th, 2011, 9:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next