View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 3:12 am



Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Lions offered three picks to go get Patrick Peterson 
Author Message
Walk On
User avatar

Joined: January 11th, 2006, 4:04 pm
Posts: 423
Post Re: Lions offered three picks to go get Patrick Peterson
If Cards were smart, they would of negotiated picks out of the Lions for the 2012 Draft. I mean they know they're target is Kevin Kolb and they know Eagles would acquire draft picks. They could gave up mostly the Lions picks and would of got Kevin Kolb and Lion's #13 draft choice being either Nick Fairley or Prince or Trading with Denver to acquire more picks for them trading back into the first round. Needless to say, they really hedged they're teams future on Patrick Peterson. Because the big picture could of gotten them a starting QB without forfeiting compensation and major picks to fill holes or a top 15 pick without losing two seconds. I hope he's worth it.

_________________
The REAL "Lion King" and father to Simba
Draft the BLACK MAMBA!! Ducks #6


May 12th, 2011, 7:21 pm
Profile
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: January 19th, 2007, 3:21 am
Posts: 1919
Location: A2
Post Re: Lions offered three picks to go get Patrick Peterson
Almost everyone said he was the best player in the draft. If you can get him at 5 you can tell everyone who's calling to F off and take him. The Lions 2012 pick could not be worth as much as they have been in the past.

_________________
Forward down the field!


May 13th, 2011, 9:13 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9764
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Lions offered three picks to go get Patrick Peterson
Mufasa wrote:
If Cards were smart, they would of negotiated picks out of the Lions for the 2012 Draft. I mean they know they're target is Kevin Kolb and they know Eagles would acquire draft picks. They could gave up mostly the Lions picks and would of got Kevin Kolb and Lion's #13 draft choice being either Nick Fairley or Prince or Trading with Denver to acquire more picks for them trading back into the first round. Needless to say, they really hedged they're teams future on Patrick Peterson. Because the big picture could of gotten them a starting QB without forfeiting compensation and major picks to fill holes or a top 15 pick without losing two seconds. I hope he's worth it.


Mufasa, I have a strong feeling that the Cards were asking for 2012 picks. The issue they had is that Mayhew wasn't giving those up, even for Patrick Peterson. What was offered, if the rumor is true, was pretty close to what the TVC value is for the picks. Now, I understand the value chart is negotiable and for a player like Peterson perhaps more should have been offered. However, you can't get blood out of a stone.

I'm glad that Mayhew tried to make the trade, which means he's not against trying to position the team to get talent at position of needs. However, I'm also glad that he doesn't try to do that at any cost. I think we got the better end of that no-deal.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


May 13th, 2011, 8:39 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9764
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Lions offered three picks to go get Patrick Peterson
It's a little early to revisit this trade that never happened, but I will say again that I'm happy the Cards passed on the offer. Although Peterson has been pretty good in the return game, he's been less than average as a corner. We did much better in re-signing Houston and signing Wright. We got Fairley, Young and LeShoure. We wouldn't have gotten any of those.

And I realize some will say that Fairley and LeShoure haven't done anything this season due to injury, I would counter that Young has been very good as a slot receiver.

Peterson may yet turn out to be tremendous for the Cardinals in his cornerback role. But so far I like what we have in return.

Stat: Lions are number 1 in the league defensively against third down conversions. That speaks volumes about how much our pass defense has improved.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


October 31st, 2011, 1:34 pm
Profile
Position Coach

Joined: March 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Posts: 2125
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Re: Lions offered three picks to go get Patrick Peterson
Quote:
Stat: Lions are number 1 in the league defensively against third down conversions. That speaks volumes about how much our pass defense has improved.


We also lead the league in forcing 3 and outs.

_________________
Matthew Stafford is the only player in NFL history who is allowed to smoke cigarettes in the team huddle. He just chooses not to


November 6th, 2011, 1:01 am
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3257
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Lions offered three picks to go get Patrick Peterson
Looking back, glad we didnt do this, even though Peterson proved to be a return man monster.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


January 24th, 2012, 5:51 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9764
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Lions offered three picks to go get Patrick Peterson
kdsberman wrote:
Looking back, glad we didnt do this, even though Peterson proved to be a return man monster.


I kind of have mixed feelings. The Lions wouldn't have gotten Fairley or Titus Young. In all likelihood, they would not have gotten LeShoure either. I think the Cards wanted our first, second, fourth and a mid round pick in the coming draft to do the deal......that's the rumor I heard. That's too much to give up for any one player. However, Fairley and LeShoure didn't give us much this season, Young was pretty good...but a high second round pick for a third receiver is a bit much. Peterson improved steadily over the course of the season as a cover corner, and looks to have the stuff to be a shutdown guy. In todays NFL, that's something teams covet dearly.

I would have loved to see him in Detroit, but the cost was pretty high. Tough thing to look back on right now and gage, particularly with Fairley not playing much and LeShoure's future being in question.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


January 25th, 2012, 5:15 pm
Profile
Varsity Captain
User avatar

Joined: October 12th, 2011, 9:00 am
Posts: 289
Location: Vermont
Post Re: Lions offered three picks to go get Patrick Peterson
Champ Bailey
Ty Law
Darrelle Revis
Deion Sanders
Rod Woodson
Ronnie Lott
Darrell Green

All drafted in the first round. DICK LANE, undrafted, but how important was it to defend the pass in the 50s? Plus, scouting and talent these days is nothing like it was 60 years ago.

If you want top corners, the first round is the way to go (according to history). I think Peterson is going to be a freakin STUD in the NFL for years to come. I already hate playing against him.

_________________
Pablo wrote:
the app worked OK, but it is hard to draft while driving.


January 26th, 2012, 12:47 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9764
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Lions offered three picks to go get Patrick Peterson
49ers wrote:
Champ Bailey
Ty Law
Darrelle Revis
Deion Sanders
Rod Woodson
Ronnie Lott
Darrell Green

All drafted in the first round. DICK LANE, undrafted, but how important was it to defend the pass in the 50s? Plus, scouting and talent these days is nothing like it was 60 years ago.

If you want top corners, the first round is the way to go (according to history). I think Peterson is going to be a freakin STUD in the NFL for years to come. I already hate playing against him.


I understand where you're coming from, but I can point out quarterbacks taken in the first round and say the same thing, completely ignoring two things....QBs taken in later rounds that were HOFers (John Unitas-19th round pick) or QBs taken in the first round that crapped the bed as professional players.

Like any other position, most of the high caliber, HOF talent will come out of the first round. However, that's not to say later round picks can't become really good players. Maybe they won't be a HOFer, but most teams aren't expecting the players they take to be THAT good.

Every player selected, whether in round one or round seven, is a gamble. Peterson wasn't guaranteed to be a great player, but the odds were definitely with him. And one season with marked improvement doesn't qualify him as such either. Like any other prospect, get back to me in after his third season in the league and we can make a much more accurate determination as to what his career will be like.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


January 26th, 2012, 2:37 pm
Profile
Post Re: Lions offered three picks to go get Patrick Peterson
It's definitely tough finding CBs that can play football outside of the first three rounds. Even the third round is stretching it. It just seems like it is a position that can be scouted to almost perfection given a players agility, speed, and current state of ability. They can pick up little nuances in the NFL or add a couple of small things to their game (better tackling, better reads, when to put your hands up, etc.) but if they can't cover by the time they get out of college, they're done. It's not like DL, LB, or DE where they player's body can adjust to the position. If they're not agile and fast, they're toast, and it's not going to change much for the better as they get older.


January 26th, 2012, 2:48 pm
Veteran General Manager
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7120
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Lions offered three picks to go get Patrick Peterson
wjb21ndtown wrote:
It's definitely tough finding CBs that can play football outside of the first three rounds. Even the third round is stretching it. It just seems like it is a position that can be scouted to almost perfection given a players agility, speed, and current state of ability. They can pick up little nuances in the NFL or add a couple of small things to their game (better tackling, better reads, when to put your hands up, etc.) but if they can't cover by the time they get out of college, they're done. It's not like DL, LB, or DE where they player's body can adjust to the position. If they're not agile and fast, they're toast, and it's not going to change much for the better as they get older.


8-[

I agree with WJB? The end is near :!: :wink:


January 26th, 2012, 5:06 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.