View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 3:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Lions offered three picks to go get Patrick Peterson 
Walk On

Post Re: Lions offered three picks to go get Patrick Peterson
If Cards were smart, they would of negotiated picks out of the Lions for the 2012 Draft. I mean they know they're target is Kevin Kolb and they know Eagles would acquire draft picks. They could gave up mostly the Lions picks and would of got Kevin Kolb and Lion's #13 draft choice being either Nick Fairley or Prince or Trading with Denver to acquire more picks for them trading back into the first round. Needless to say, they really hedged they're teams future on Patrick Peterson. Because the big picture could of gotten them a starting QB without forfeiting compensation and major picks to fill holes or a top 15 pick without losing two seconds. I hope he's worth it.

Draft the BLACK MAMBA!! Ducks #6

May 12th, 2011, 7:21 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

Almost everyone said he was the best player in the draft. If you can get him at 5 you can tell everyone who's calling to F off and take him. The Lions 2012 pick could not be worth as much as they have been in the past.

May 13th, 2011, 9:13 am
RIP Killer

Mufasa wrote:
If Cards were smart, they would of negotiated picks out of the Lions for the 2012 Draft. I mean they know they're target is Kevin Kolb and they know Eagles would acquire draft picks. They could gave up mostly the Lions picks and would of got Kevin Kolb and Lion's #13 draft choice being either Nick Fairley or Prince or Trading with Denver to acquire more picks for them trading back into the first round. Needless to say, they really hedged they're teams future on Patrick Peterson. Because the big picture could of gotten them a starting QB without forfeiting compensation and major picks to fill holes or a top 15 pick without losing two seconds. I hope he's worth it.

Mufasa, I have a strong feeling that the Cards were asking for 2012 picks. The issue they had is that Mayhew wasn't giving those up, even for Patrick Peterson. What was offered, if the rumor is true, was pretty close to what the TVC value is for the picks. Now, I understand the value chart is negotiable and for a player like Peterson perhaps more should have been offered. However, you can't get blood out of a stone.

I'm glad that Mayhew tried to make the trade, which means he's not against trying to position the team to get talent at position of needs. However, I'm also glad that he doesn't try to do that at any cost. I think we got the better end of that no-deal.

May 13th, 2011, 8:39 pm
RIP Killer

It's a little early to revisit this trade that never happened, but I will say again that I'm happy the Cards passed on the offer. Although Peterson has been pretty good in the return game, he's been less than average as a corner. We did much better in re-signing Houston and signing Wright. We got Fairley, Young and LeShoure. We wouldn't have gotten any of those.

And I realize some will say that Fairley and LeShoure haven't done anything this season due to injury, I would counter that Young has been very good as a slot receiver.

Peterson may yet turn out to be tremendous for the Cardinals in his cornerback role. But so far I like what we have in return.

Stat: Lions are number 1 in the league defensively against third down conversions. That speaks volumes about how much our pass defense has improved.

October 31st, 2011, 1:34 pm
Position Coach

Quote:
Stat: Lions are number 1 in the league defensively against third down conversions. That speaks volumes about how much our pass defense has improved.

We also lead the league in forcing 3 and outs.

November 6th, 2011, 1:01 am
Team MVP

Looking back, glad we didnt do this, even though Peterson proved to be a return man monster.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 24th, 2012, 5:51 pm
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:
Looking back, glad we didnt do this, even though Peterson proved to be a return man monster.

I kind of have mixed feelings. The Lions wouldn't have gotten Fairley or Titus Young. In all likelihood, they would not have gotten LeShoure either. I think the Cards wanted our first, second, fourth and a mid round pick in the coming draft to do the deal......that's the rumor I heard. That's too much to give up for any one player. However, Fairley and LeShoure didn't give us much this season, Young was pretty good...but a high second round pick for a third receiver is a bit much. Peterson improved steadily over the course of the season as a cover corner, and looks to have the stuff to be a shutdown guy. In todays NFL, that's something teams covet dearly.

I would have loved to see him in Detroit, but the cost was pretty high. Tough thing to look back on right now and gage, particularly with Fairley not playing much and LeShoure's future being in question.

January 25th, 2012, 5:15 pm
Varsity Captain

Champ Bailey
Ty Law
Darrelle Revis
Deion Sanders
Rod Woodson
Ronnie Lott
Darrell Green

All drafted in the first round. DICK LANE, undrafted, but how important was it to defend the pass in the 50s? Plus, scouting and talent these days is nothing like it was 60 years ago.

If you want top corners, the first round is the way to go (according to history). I think Peterson is going to be a freakin STUD in the NFL for years to come. I already hate playing against him.

January 26th, 2012, 12:47 pm
RIP Killer

49ers wrote:
Champ Bailey
Ty Law
Darrelle Revis
Deion Sanders
Rod Woodson
Ronnie Lott
Darrell Green

All drafted in the first round. DICK LANE, undrafted, but how important was it to defend the pass in the 50s? Plus, scouting and talent these days is nothing like it was 60 years ago.

If you want top corners, the first round is the way to go (according to history). I think Peterson is going to be a freakin STUD in the NFL for years to come. I already hate playing against him.

I understand where you're coming from, but I can point out quarterbacks taken in the first round and say the same thing, completely ignoring two things....QBs taken in later rounds that were HOFers (John Unitas-19th round pick) or QBs taken in the first round that crapped the bed as professional players.

Like any other position, most of the high caliber, HOF talent will come out of the first round. However, that's not to say later round picks can't become really good players. Maybe they won't be a HOFer, but most teams aren't expecting the players they take to be THAT good.

Every player selected, whether in round one or round seven, is a gamble. Peterson wasn't guaranteed to be a great player, but the odds were definitely with him. And one season with marked improvement doesn't qualify him as such either. Like any other prospect, get back to me in after his third season in the league and we can make a much more accurate determination as to what his career will be like.

January 26th, 2012, 2:37 pm
It's definitely tough finding CBs that can play football outside of the first three rounds. Even the third round is stretching it. It just seems like it is a position that can be scouted to almost perfection given a players agility, speed, and current state of ability. They can pick up little nuances in the NFL or add a couple of small things to their game (better tackling, better reads, when to put your hands up, etc.) but if they can't cover by the time they get out of college, they're done. It's not like DL, LB, or DE where they player's body can adjust to the position. If they're not agile and fast, they're toast, and it's not going to change much for the better as they get older.

January 26th, 2012, 2:48 pm
Veteran General Manager

wjb21ndtown wrote:
It's definitely tough finding CBs that can play football outside of the first three rounds. Even the third round is stretching it. It just seems like it is a position that can be scouted to almost perfection given a players agility, speed, and current state of ability. They can pick up little nuances in the NFL or add a couple of small things to their game (better tackling, better reads, when to put your hands up, etc.) but if they can't cover by the time they get out of college, they're done. It's not like DL, LB, or DE where they player's body can adjust to the position. If they're not agile and fast, they're toast, and it's not going to change much for the better as they get older.

8-[

I agree with WJB? The end is near :!: :wink:

January 26th, 2012, 5:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2