View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 1:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Denver wanted Nick Fairley 
RIP Killer

Post Denver wanted Nick Fairley
Rumor has it (on PFT) that the Broncos were interested in trading back into the early first round to get DT Nick Fairley. I don't know if they contacted Detroit or not, but supposedly whoever they spoke to was asking for too much in return.

I guess if Mayhew was on the phone with Denver, they may have been offering one of their second rounders, plus their third rounder plus another pick in 2012, probably at least a second round pick.

OR, Mayhew may have asked for both their seconds this year, and a second next year.

Would you have done the deal, or stayed pat and taken Fairley?

May 6th, 2011, 12:07 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Denver wanted Nick Fairley
The NFL is a talent acquisition business with limited Blue Chippers, of which Fairley qualifies. If Denver was offering up their 2012 first rounder plus picks I'd be listening, if all picks were in the 2nd or later I woudn't be.

May 6th, 2011, 12:11 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

No way would I take a 1 2nd, 1 3rd, + 2012 pick.

I would take both 2nds, 1 3rd, and something next year though in a heartbeat.

Ayers was still there with their pick top of the 2nd, guess is we still get Young and Leshoure with the other two picks, but maybe since we didn't go Dline Bowers seems like a good pick at that point? But then we still have 2 3rds to spend and there was:

Martez Wilson
Justin Houstin
Jurrel Casey
Demarcus VanDyke
Shareece White
Curtis Brown

So what looks better:

Ayers, Young, Leshoure, + 2 DB's available

or

Fairley, Young Leshoure?

May 6th, 2011, 12:18 pm
RIP Killer

Thinking about it, New England was able to extract a second round pick PLUS next years first rounder from New Orleans for the 28th overall pick. I have to expect that Mayhew said something along the lines of both second rounders this year, plus next years first. That is, if he was even on the phone with them.

May 6th, 2011, 12:26 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

m2karateman wrote:
Thinking about it, New England was able to extract a second round pick PLUS next years first rounder from New Orleans for the 28th overall pick. I have to expect that Mayhew said something along the lines of both second rounders this year, plus next years first. That is, if he was even on the phone with them.

Yeah I wouldnt take anythingless than that. I would probably ask for next years 1st and 2nd and only 1 2nd this year as this years draft was...well...kinda weaker than most in recent history. I'd place bets on next years being better.

May 6th, 2011, 12:59 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

I saw that report, but do we even know if they were talking to us? It was by no means a sure thing that Fairley would fall so far.

May 6th, 2011, 1:40 pm
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
I saw that report, but do we even know if they were talking to us? It was by no means a sure thing that Fairley would fall so far.

The report did not mention any specific teams, but I know that both Minnesota and Detroit were said to be looking at trading down in the first round while the draft was in process. Minnesota waited until the last minute to put in their pick, and I have heard rumor that Mayhew was attempting to trade down thinking that Fairley was going to be the Vikings pick.

The report said that whomever the Broncos were talking to wanted too much in return. It was also said that Denver was still trying to get into the first round after the Lions took Fairley because they were targeting Cory Liuget, but couldn't swing a deal ahead of the Chargers. Something tells me Denver wasn't willing to part with any future picks, and probably didn't want to give more than one additional pick in return for moving up. They were probably trying to offer up their two second rounders alone.

May 6th, 2011, 2:00 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

m2karateman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

The report did not mention any specific teams, but I know that both Minnesota and Detroit were said to be looking at trading down in the first round while the draft was in process. Minnesota waited until the last minute to put in their pick, and I have heard rumor that Mayhew was attempting to trade down thinking that Fairley was going to be the Vikings pick.

The report said that whomever the Broncos were talking to wanted too much in return. It was also said that Denver was still trying to get into the first round after the Lions took Fairley because they were targeting Cory Liuget, but couldn't swing a deal ahead of the Chargers. Something tells me Denver wasn't willing to part with any future picks, and probably didn't want to give more than one additional pick in return for moving up. They were probably trying to offer up their two second rounders alone.

I know what you're saying, I just think that if they really wanted Fairley in particular, they probably started talking to teams higher on the draft board. Remember--everybody thought the Titans were going to take him.

May 6th, 2011, 6:48 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Prior to the draft, I suggested that the Lions could trade down with Denver for 36 and 46, assuming that they traded back to 20 or so beforehand. In this scenario, I'd imagine that they would also get a 2012 1st or 2nd round pick as well. So, the Lions could have gotten LB Bruce Carter at 36 and I'm gonna assume that they would have selected Young and Leshoure with 44 and 46. This would have still left them with picks in the 3rd and 4th rounds where they could have drafted OL John Moffitt and CB Davon House. So, would you rather have Fairley or Carter, Moffitt, House, and an early pick next year? It's a no brainer to me.

May 7th, 2011, 6:12 pm
RIP Killer

slybri19 wrote:
Prior to the draft, I suggested that the Lions could trade down with Denver for 36 and 46, assuming that they traded back to 20 or so beforehand. In this scenario, I'd imagine that they would also get a 2012 1st or 2nd round pick as well. So, the Lions could have gotten LB Bruce Carter at 36 and I'm gonna assume that they would have selected Young and Leshoure with 44 and 46. This would have still left them with picks in the 3rd and 4th rounds where they could have drafted OL John Moffitt and CB Davon House. So, would you rather have Fairley or Carter, Moffitt, House, and an early pick next year? It's a no brainer to me.

Well, we don't really know all the detail, so it's hard to say what could have happened. I have a strong feeling that Denver wasn't willing to part with future picks, and that was the deal breaker. John Fox isn't stupid, and he knows that he'll need everything he can get for next years draft. He probably also realizes that the Broncos are likely to have a pick in or near the top ten, and wouldn't want to give that up.

It comes down to how successful you think Fairley will be as compared to the others. On paper, having Carter, Moffitt and House, in addition to Young and LeShoure is far and away a better deal. But if Carter is never the same, Moffitt is nothing but a backup and Davon House goes the way of Stanley Wilson, then Fairley turns out to be the better choice, even if he's not a perennial All Pro.

May 7th, 2011, 9:42 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

It was for Denver's two seconds this year, and their first and second next year, I would've done it no question. Anything less...no way.

May 8th, 2011, 3:45 am
Team MVP

slybri19 wrote:

Not a bad idea, but how do we know the Lions would have taken those players you listed? Those are guys YOU would draft.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

May 8th, 2011, 8:45 am
Div 1 - Starter

Blueskies wrote:
It was for Denver's two seconds this year, and their first and second next year, I would've done it no question. Anything less...no way.

So, in exchange for our #13 pick this year, we get both of their 2nd rounders this year and their first round pick next year (which will probably be a top 10 pick) and their 2nd next year?

Damn, it's hard to turn that down. Essentially we would have gotten three 2nd round picks over the next two years in exchange for putting off this year's first round pick to next year. I like Fairley, but we didn't have a need at DT. I think I would have taken that deal in a heartbeat.

Where did you get that information about what Denver offered us? Is this factual or just speculation?

May 8th, 2011, 9:12 am
NFL Team Captain

Have they came out and said it was the Lions they were trying to trade with? I think we are all assuming it was the Lions, but once Fairley fell past the 5th pick it could have been any team that Denver had a conversation with about trading up. :-k

May 8th, 2011, 9:50 am
RIP Killer

TNLionsFanatic wrote:
Have they came out and said it was the Lions they were trying to trade with? I think we are all assuming it was the Lions, but once Fairley fell past the 5th pick it could have been any team that Denver had a conversation with about trading up. :-k

No. It was said that Denver was trying to trade up to get Fairley, and once the Lions took Fairley they were targeting Cory Liuget. The fact that both Minnesota and Detroit were on the phones during their picks is an indication that Denver was probably at least talking to them.

Growler wrote:
So, in exchange for our #13 pick this year, we get both of their 2nd rounders this year and their first round pick next year (which will probably be a top 10 pick) and their 2nd next year?

It was never reported that Denver offered that much. I think Mayhew would have taken that without hesitation. I believe that Blueskies was saying that UNLESS Denver offered that much, he wouldn't have taken the deal.

May 8th, 2011, 1:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next