View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 29th, 2014, 12:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Terrelle Pryor a Lion (not really, sup draft status) 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Terrelle Pryor a Lion (not really, sup draft status)
Not that it matters, but pryor was throwing to a few pros looking to get on a team.. one non other than our own Kevin Smith.

August 21st, 2011, 6:19 pm
Veteran General Manager

DJ-B wrote:
Billy, really?

1 Player who made it to the 1st round without going through the NCAA does nothing to disprove his point that it is the Primary Gateway and only chance for most players.

Yes really. He said that if you want to be taken seriously, you will go to the NCAA.

Well, The NFL took Eric Swann seriously enough to draft him 6th overall. Point is, if you have NFL Talent, they will find you wherever you are. I am sure the NFL knows who to keep an eye on by the time a future prospect is in his senior year of high school.

August 21st, 2011, 8:41 pm
RIP Killer

The exception is not the rule. Billy will likely hold fast, but we'll find it hard to find many that agree with him on this one.

August 21st, 2011, 11:33 pm
Veteran General Manager

steensn wrote:
The exception is not the rule. Billy will likely hold fast, but we'll find it hard to find many that agree with him on this one.

I agree that the norm is to go to college. I'm just saying, if you have talent, the NFL will find you regardless what route you take. And just because you don't take the college route, it does not mean that the NFL will not take you seriously.

August 21st, 2011, 11:44 pm
Veteran General Manager

It's pretty apparent that the NFL took Swann seriously. Now isn't it? He didn't take the college route. If they took a kid that went from High School to Semi-pro seriously even once, they would do it again if you have talent.

August 21st, 2011, 11:48 pm
RIP Killer

No one is going to disagree one CAN make a path through other means. The point is that it is abnormal and not the best decision for more players because the more direct path that makes sense and is focused on by the NFL is college ball. You COULD try a different route but you are taking a huge risk...

August 22nd, 2011, 12:39 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

With TP running a fast 40, there's going to be a team that will reach for him. Apparently he now wants to play WR. This cat has changed courses more times than a drunken sailor. He might be an OK receiver, but he's going to have to learn how to run precise routes and learn the game from that perspective. I still don't think he'll do anything in the NFL, but there's going to be a team that is enamored with his size & speed (Oakland? sorry, too easy) and see if they can make him into a player. Good luck with that.

August 22nd, 2011, 9:11 am
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Pryor’s workout creates third-round buzz
Posted by Mike Florio on August 21, 2011, 10:47 PM EDT

Every quarterback ever taken in the supplemental draft, from Dave Wilson (Saints) in 1981 to Bernie Kosar (Browns) in 1985 to Steve Walsh (Cowboys) in 1989 to Timm Rosenbach (Cardinals) in 1989 to Dave Brown (Giants) in 1992, came off the board in round one. Though agent Drew Rosenhaus has declared that Terrelle Pryor will follow suit, the more realistic assessment falls lower.

But not as lower as previously believed.

Initially, Pryor was believed to be headed for the fourth- to sixth-round range. Pryor’s Pro Day workout, which featured a 40-yard dash timed anywhere from 4.36 to 4.41 seconds, has helped move the target zone for Pryor into round three.

Teams to watch include the Bengals, Redskins, Dolphins, and Steelers.

The Browns also need to be taken seriously, as pointed out by the two guys on NBC who have a brand new desk behind which they stand.

And, no, I’m not standing on a box.

I’m standing on a chair.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ound-buzz/

August 22nd, 2011, 9:11 am

3rd as a QB or as a WR?

August 22nd, 2011, 9:21 am
RIP Killer

Any team that would burn a third round pick on an "experiment" of a player like Pryor gets what they deserve. The kid can't make up his mind and doesn't have the tools to be an NFL QB. Move him to receiver, maybe he cuts the mustard. But it will take him over a year to get up to speed with being an NFL receiver. It's more than just catching a ball.

Washington would be a team to burn a 3rd for him, because they're just that way. I think Cleveland is happy with McCoy, and I don't see them burning a high pick like that for Pryor. Cinci and Miami could jump in, as well as Oakland. But for a 3rd rounder? I don't think so. I don't see the Steelers as legitimate contenders, as they don't easily part with their picks.

It comes down to Oakland or Washington, in my book.

August 22nd, 2011, 9:39 am
RIP Killer

I'd burn a third as a WR experiement.

August 22nd, 2011, 9:45 am

D-Will?

August 22nd, 2011, 10:15 am
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
I'd burn a third as a WR experiement.

We know you would.....but if Pryor played at any other college you'd probably be saying you wouldn't dare use more than a 5th rounder on him. Your bias for him is beyond obvious due to his collegiate affiliation.

August 22nd, 2011, 10:18 am
RIP Killer

No, I think I have been pretty fair about Pryor's worth. 5-6 for QB, seems to be the overall agreement at least in the media and a 3rd for his other skills. If you saw the kid, he has increbile athletic ability that is worth the shot. If he was at UM I would have the same opinion. I can't shake in your guys minds the fact I'm and OSU fan, you're going to pull it out anytime we disagree on something that pertains to OSU at all. I was the first one to step up adnd say he doesn't have what it takes to be an NFL QB IMO... where is the bias in that?

August 22nd, 2011, 10:22 am
RIP Killer

It's not just about his athletic skills, it's about your staunch defense of what he did wrong at OSU, and of you defending Jim Tressell as well.

Seriously, you would defend players/coaches from others schools accused of the same acts? Sorry, but I highly doubt that would be the case.

But, it happens more than once a year....so prove me wrong.

In regards to the worth of Pryor as a WR versus QB....any team that would burn a 3rd round pick on an "experimental" player would be foolish to do so. Not just Pryor...any player who is expected to make such a change in position, and this late in the pre-season.

There's no guarantee that Pryor won't change his mind once more, and tell a team that drafted him "I want to play QB". I see it coming. He's enjoyed an entitled career since high school, and thinks he calls the shots. Right now he says he'll make the change to WR because that's what his agent told him to say to increase his draft value.

But let's face it, Pryor is about Pryor, not his upcoming team. He's changed his mind too often in recent memory about various things:

Stay at OSU/Leave OSU?
Accept NFL suspension/Protest NFL suspension
Play QB/Play WR

I think it's a high price to pay for a player like this, a 2012 3rd round pick. Any team that uses higher than a 5th round pick on a player that needs to make a position change from college to the NFL is paying too high a price. At least, that's my opinion. It's one thing to move from 43 DE to 34 OLB, or from OT to OG. It's quite another thing to move from QB to WR, where the skill sets are entirely different.

August 22nd, 2011, 11:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next