View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2014, 10:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Terrelle Pryor a Lion (not really, sup draft status) 
Color Commentator - John Madden

Post Re: Terrelle Pryor a Lion.
I know the thread says TP to the Lions, but I don't know if there is a situation, given the suspension etc. that would be worth using a 6th or 7th, max.

This is clearly unprecedented, but I think it's a step in the right direction to help clean up the NCAA. If punishments follow the offenders it may cause them to actually take the NCAA rules seriously.

Is getting something for free because of your celebrity illegal? No. But it if you sign on to play in an organization that does not allow these sorts of things you need to be able to live with the consequences of break the rules.

August 18th, 2011, 10:25 am
RIP Killer

But the NFL forces these players to go to the NCAA first, they don't have a choice. The NFL requires players to wait a few years after college. The only way to get any recognition to get drafted is to play in the NCAA, effectively giving them no choice. If the NFL wants to make the NCAA officially a development league then they should just be straight about it and they can start sharing punishments. But until there is an official connection the NFL has no right to deal with it.

August 18th, 2011, 10:30 am
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
But the NFL forces these players to go to the NCAA first, they don't have a choice. The NFL requires players to wait a few years after college. The only way to get any recognition to get drafted is to play in the NCAA, effectively giving them no choice. If the NFL wants to make the NCAA officially a development league then they should just be straight about it and they can start sharing punishments. But until there is an official connection the NFL has no right to deal with it.

No true, there is no requirement that a player must go to college to get drafted so the NFL doesn't "force" them. There are players who didn't go to college and played in the AFL or CFL who have been drafted. The only stipulation is that the player must be 3 years removed from high school.

August 18th, 2011, 10:52 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Read what I wrote, if you want to get taken seriously going to the NFL you have to go to the NCAA, EFFECTIVELY forcing players into the NCAA. When the NFL decides to continue any punishment from the NCAA it reaffirms an unofficial link between the NCAA and the NFL. You're right, there is other options, but reality shows us that to have any shot at the NFL, you have to prove yourself in the NCAA. The effective situation requires players to sign up for the NCAA.

August 18th, 2011, 12:08 pm
1st Round Pick

steensn wrote:
Read what I wrote, if you want to get taken seriously going to the NFL you have to go to the NCAA, EFFECTIVELY forcing players into the NCAA. When the NFL decides to continue any punishment from the NCAA it reaffirms an unofficial link between the NCAA and the NFL. You're right, there is other options, but reality shows us that to have any shot at the NFL, you have to prove yourself in the NCAA. The effective situation requires players to sign up for the NCAA.

That's not the NFL's fault, thats because the NCAA has more history and can easily entice the best football players in the country. Also most parents are going to push their kids to a college where they can get a degree if football doesn't work out. If things don't work out in the other leagues your bagging groceries. The NCAA just offers way more than the other leagues can, especially if you go to Miami.

August 18th, 2011, 2:01 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Terrelle Pryor a Lion (not really, sup draft status)
It isn't the NFL's fault... but the NFL has JUST chosen to ding Pryor because of an NCAA violation. Once they do that this now matters. If they don't want to send a signal to the world about the reality of the NCAA being the NFL's preferred development league then they shouldn't meddle with unprecedented suspensions for NCAA violations. Either play it separate or play it together. Don't mix it.

August 18th, 2011, 2:06 pm
Modmin Dude

Or they could've just said see you next April to TP. IMO they're doing Pryor a favor by letting him in the Supp Draft and in return for that favor he has to actually honor the suspension he agreed to in Dec.

Joe Fauria, MVP!

August 18th, 2011, 2:19 pm
RIP Killer

Maybe they horse traded with Pryor, but it is a dangerous implication to be made by doing so.

August 18th, 2011, 2:24 pm
1st Round Pick

You can't say the NFL is doing this because they like the NCAA more without showing an example of the other leagues not getting the same treatment. I can't think of any high profile Arena or cfl players getting suspended for breaking league rules then jumping to the NFL to avoid punishment. This is just Goodell making a statement about the importance he puts on character for the players in the league, while still letting a crazy athlete into the league. Now TP can become a redemption story like Vick, all he has to do is pretend to feel guilty.

August 18th, 2011, 2:29 pm
RIP Killer

Not saying it might not be good for Pryor... I think he might need it. If it was horse trading for Pryor it might be good. I just don't like the connection between the NCAA and the NFL. Why Pryor? All players in the supplemental draft are players that got into trouble after the first draft. Why now?

August 18th, 2011, 4:21 pm

There cases were more clearly a change in status then Pryor's. It was muddy, and until he started singing to the NFL, it wouldn't have been any clearer.

King is academically ineligible, which changed his status after the declaration date.

August 18th, 2011, 4:36 pm
RIP Killer

Another person agrees that this blurs the lines:

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/stor ... caa-merger

August 19th, 2011, 10:16 am

Oh it blurs the lines for sure. I don't have any problem admitting that this probably shouldn't be done. However, I do like that someone is being held accountable for their actions. Pete Carroll, Lou Holtz, John Calipari etc. all were able to avoid getting popped for violations that were committed while they were in charge at their school. The school gets punished, the players who may or may not have been involved get punished, but the violators don't. This way, someone who did something wrong is being punished. Justice.

The NFL has been the step for football coaches/players who did something wrong in college to avoid having to deal with the wrongs they committed. This way the NFL is making someone actually serve their suspension.

The can of worms that they could be opening, Goddell said this was not a precedent and future issues would be taken on a case by case basis, could lead to an end to the NCAA in its current manifestation. If the NCAA starts to listen to it's "master's voice", then semi-pro ball might be down the road. Good or bad? I don't know.

August 19th, 2011, 10:46 am
RIP Killer

I would just rather see consistency. I think Pryor is being made an example (and I think it will be for his benefit to get popped a bit and learn a lesson). But it sets a dangerous, unofficial rule that will not be applied equally. Carrol wasn't made an example of and he was in charge when one of the biggest player payoffs in NCAA history occurred. he flew the coop when it got hot. Why Pryor? That is my question...

If this a new deal and the NCAA and NFL come to agreement that some sort of repercussions happen in situations like this... I am ok because they are making this official and well known. I'm just asking for clarity and consistency. I am one that actually like Goodell's intent, I just wish his dictatorship of punishment would then become NFL "law" like the law's of the Meades and Persians (every time the king made a law or decree it stayed and became written in stone). At least it was clear...

August 19th, 2011, 11:09 am
League MVP

steensn wrote:
Lions aren't in the best position to take Pryor in. He won't play anything but QB, we don't need a development QB with our current QB's injury history. Someone will and can find a good fit for him even with the extra suspension. I actually find it repulsive that the NFL would keep a suspension going for something done in NCAA fantasy land and clearly legal in real life.

what??? why? lets be real here..the NCAA is the minor league of the NFL. why is it so repulsive for them to carry over punishments doled out to duchebags who find ways to escape their suspensions?

and please for the love of god explain to me the man love you have for Pryor? with all the SH*T storm that has come to OSU that he is personally responsible for..how can you posibly defend one iota of this redulously pathetic poopstain of a human being?

August 19th, 2011, 10:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next