View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 6:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 If the Colts get the first pick in 2012 draft.... 

What should the Colts do?
Pick Andrew Luck first overall and release Peyton? 24%  24%  [ 4 ]
Pick Andrew Luck first overall and keep Peyton? 71%  71%  [ 12 ]
Take Matt Kalil first overall? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Trade down and keep Peyton? 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Other...please explain. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 17

If the Colts get the first pick in 2012 draft.... 
Post Re: If the Colts get the first pick in 2012 draft....
Pablo wrote:
slybri19 wrote:
I can't believe I'm the only one that voted to trade down. The Colts are more than a QB away from being a good team again and a boatload of picks could go a long way toward improving the team.

Believe it, this is a QB driven league and the Colts more than anyone else understand this. You build around a QB period. Indy had lots of issues before Manning went down but a great QB masks many problems.

Draft Luck and then start building around him. Sure you could build a good team without him, but the NFL is about winning championships and a good team gets you at .500 (no mans land and an occassional playoff spot) while a great QB wins you the rings.

Everyone knows I'm against drafting a Qb high, unless it is someone like Luck. I still don't think Stafford will ever amount to much, but that's just me. Luck, Bradford, and Palmer are the Qbs in the last 10 years or so that I think are worth the pick.

December 22nd, 2011, 8:22 pm
Position Coach

Quote:
Everyone knows I'm against drafting a Qb high, unless it is someone like Luck. I still don't think Stafford will ever amount to much, but that's just me. Luck, Bradford, and Palmer are the Qbs in the last 10 years or so that I think are worth the pick.

LOL

December 22nd, 2011, 10:07 pm
Team MVP

Killwill25 wrote:
Quote:

LOL

+1

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 23rd, 2011, 12:34 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

It'll be interesting to see if the Colts decide to play their starters next week against Jacksonville, or if they rest them for the draft.

December 23rd, 2011, 10:02 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Wayne Fontes wrote:
It'll be interesting to see if the Colts decide to play their starters next week against Jacksonville, or if they rest them for the draft.

I think everybody (including the coach) is playing for their job in Indianapolis. For that reason, I don't think we'll see it.

Btw how much would it suck if Minny ends up getting Luck?

December 23rd, 2011, 10:06 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

That statement was made in gest, but I know what you mean. Tom Caldwell basically showed that he's not much of a coach at all, considering everything Manning does. He's more of just a figure head. If Manning does play next year, they could win 9-10 games and he'll be seen by the morons as a coach of they year candidate because they had such a big turnaround. He's just lucky to have Manning.

If Minnesota were to end up with the 1st pick, I don't know if they'd take Luck or not. They may not be able to turn down the opportunity, but they've got some serious issues elsewhere on that team and with Matt Kalil being a top 3 talent, I wouldn't be surprised if they take him/move down if they can. I've liked what I've seen from Ponder in spots, and in spots, he's looked awful. But how many rookie QB's have struggled in their first year? I think it would be too early to just dump Ponder. Taking Luck and upgrading that position would help them, but they would be missing out on upgrading another area of need, in this case LT.

December 23rd, 2011, 10:44 am

Wayne Fontes wrote:
That statement was made in gest, but I know what you mean. Tom Caldwell basically showed that he's not much of a coach at all, considering everything Manning does. He's more of just a figure head. If Manning does play next year, they could win 9-10 games and he'll be seen by the morons as a coach of they year candidate because they had such a big turnaround. He's just lucky to have Manning.

If Minnesota were to end up with the 1st pick, I don't know if they'd take Luck or not. They may not be able to turn down the opportunity, but they've got some serious issues elsewhere on that team and with Matt Kalil being a top 3 talent, I wouldn't be surprised if they take him/move down if they can. I've liked what I've seen from Ponder in spots, and in spots, he's looked awful. But how many rookie QB's have struggled in their first year? I think it would be too early to just dump Ponder. Taking Luck and upgrading that position would help them, but they would be missing out on upgrading another area of need, in this case LT.

No doubt. But it is mortifying that our division could have Rodgers, Luck, and Cutler. :shock: Typical Lions luck--we get good at the QB position just when everybody else decides to.

December 23rd, 2011, 11:23 am
Position Coach

Quote:
No doubt. But it is mortifying that our division could have Rodgers, Luck, and Cutler. Typical Lions luck--we get good at the QB position just when everybody else decides to.
true but it's also very possible that we'll have the best defenses for the forseable future

December 23rd, 2011, 9:04 pm

kdsberman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
Quote:

LOL

+1

+1

Stafford's already Better than Bradford ever will be.

Luck will be great, because not only does he have all the physical tools, he can be the next manning because he has the intellect & instincts to make calls at the line, basically know his entire playbook inside and out, and be able to actively analyze coverages and change to correct plays. 1 of the reasons the Colts should take Luck and keep him is he would thrive in the exact system they already have in place for manning.

Palmer imo isnt a top QB at all. He had 2 great seasons in year 2 & 3 and has been mediocre ever since. True he was on a mediocre team with mediocre coaches and management, but good players shine through. IMO he just doesnt have "it". And this is coming from someone that grew up at the same time and place as Palmer, whose best friend played LT for him in Pre-HS Football, and who liked him as a prospect coming out of college.

December 24th, 2011, 4:00 am
Profile ICQ WWW
League MVP

Quote:
Stafford's already Better than Bradford ever will be.

maybe true but I wouldnt write off Bradford just yet. Stafford at 4000yds/30 tds is having a truly great season but Bradford can be very good without ever reaching those marks.

Quote:
Luck will be great, because not only does he have all the physical tools, he can be the next manning because he has the intellect & instincts to make calls at the line, basically know his entire playbook inside and out, and be able to actively analyze coverages and change to correct plays. 1 of the reasons the Colts should take Luck and keep him is he would thrive in the exact system they already have in place for manning.

From what I saw of Luck in 2 (vs Cal, vs Oregon) games this year, I wasnt so sure of him having all the physical tools ie Im not sure he can make all of the throws. The intellect part is something that wont be known until he is in the NFL. He may be smart enough but that doesnt mean he can think fast enough - remember that NFL schemes and defenses are way more complicated than in college. Finally Luck seems to be a different type of player than Manning, likes to move around a lot either by scrambles or designed runs and is on the move a lot buying time with his legs. Granted I saw only two games but Luck didnt just sit in the pocket and pick people apart with his arm, he was very accurate but his receivers were wide open most of the time. They could incorporate some of those things in whatever offense he will be in but to be great he will have to muscle the ball into tight coverage.

Anyway Im glad we have Stafford. He has shown he has the arm strength to make any throw and is a true student of the game and in case you dont watch close enough does have a lot of autonomy changing plays at the line, running a no huddle, etc. Luck is a great prospect but there are still some questions translating his game to the pros. I think scouts are going a little overboard bc he is very accurate and athletic but Im not sure of the other factors or if he can be accurate when putting maximum zip on the ball.

Quote:
Palmer imo isnt a top QB at all. He had 2 great seasons in year 2 & 3 and has been mediocre ever since. True he was on a mediocre team with mediocre coaches and management, but good players shine through. IMO he just doesnt have "it". And this is coming from someone that grew up at the same time and place as Palmer, whose best friend played LT for him in Pre-HS Football, and who liked him as a prospect coming out of college.

I think palmer had it at one point in his career but his team fell apart around him after his ACL injury. More recently palmer opted not to have Tommy John surgery despite his elbow not being completely stable and he doesnt have the accuracy on the tougher throws that he once had.

December 24th, 2011, 12:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3