View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 2:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Lions Team Needs 
Color Commentator - John Madden

Post Re: Lions Team Needs
Right, the draft is a crap shoot and your top draft picks won't always work out, and the UDFA can be stars. A lot depends on the interview and the type of character the player is. Look at what Foster said, that he had a terrible attitude and that he wouldn't have drafted himself.

January 10th, 2012, 5:43 pm
All State

kdsberman wrote:
Im interested in seeing what kind of Free Agents might want to come to Detroit now that we are a legitimate team now.

Yea , thats my sentiments as well .. I know Lynch is a FA , maybe we could land him if the price is right .. who knows , but Im sure some guys will want to come here ..

January 10th, 2012, 6:49 pm

We may be a destination now that they have won, but I don't think there will be much movement on the free agent front this year because of the looming contract statuses of Cliff Avril, Stephen Tulloch, and Calvin Johnson. The type of money that CJ is going to command is going to be the kind of money you have to plan everything else around. Don't forget that Stafford and Suh are being payed handsomely right now and will need to be taken care of in the future as well. I don't know how much money is going to be able to be spent attaining new players when we need to be smart about keeping our current players.

I wouldn't be overly surprised if the Lions had to end up either cutting or re-working the deals they made with Burleson or KVB. While these guys were very important to changing the locker room dynamic as well as producing, the intangibles they bring may not be enough to keep them around moving forward.

One thing to keep in mind is that the reason the Ravens, Steelers, Patriots, and Packers have been good for extended periods of time is that they have built through the draft and have hit on mid to late rounders and don't necessarily always have to sign big name FA's in order to compete. I would love to have the Lions get to that point where you only use Free Agency as a supplement to the talent that you have already developed in house.

January 11th, 2012, 10:53 am
Hall of Fame Player

According to Pat Kirwan, The Lions will have approximately $15Million to spend this off season before we resign Avril. Calvin is under contract so we don't have to resign him. Although, we may rework his contract.

If we have to, we can tender Avril at the highest , non-franchise tag, tender. I think we would get a 1st and a 3rd round pick if he were signed by another team and we didn't match.

I could live with losing Avril if the above happens. I think Willy Young is ready for a starting job.
And with another 1st round pick, ( hopefully, in the 10-15 overall range), we could get a LT with the 1st 1st round pick and BPA between LB and DB with the 2nd 1st round pick. I would prefer the DB because it is easier to find a starting LBer in the 2nd round than it is to find a starting DB in the 2nd round.

Then with two 3rd rounders, we can start drafting O-line and RB.

January 11th, 2012, 7:26 pm
QB Coach

My updated take on team needs:

LT- Jeff Bacus is a free agent and suffered a major injury. We may bring him back for 1-2 years, but it' way past time to be looking for a replacement. Because of where we fall in the draft we should be able to get an o-lineman in the first.

CB- Eric Wright and Chris Houston aren't terrible, but an upgrade is needed. I think we need to look at signing Finnegan and drafting a player in round 2 at the latest.

C- Raiola won't be around forever and we could use an upgrade. Could be our first round pick.

RG- Peterman has had moments of decent play, but he could also be upgraded. Again, could be the first round pick.

LB- If we re-sign Tulloch, I'm ok with the group we have now. Levy will need to be upgraded but that's something we can put off til next year.

RB- This depends on the health of Best and LeShoure. They could be a potent 1-2 punch if they can come back from injury and play at a high level. But we have no way of knowing if they will. Perhaps keeping Kevin Smith around this year will help, but we may also need to look to UDFA or a late round pick for help/depth.

S- It was obvious in the Saints game that we need help here. Delmas was hurt but he has been too often. I have a feeling we'll only upgrade the depth here.

DE- KVB showed signs of regression this year. I love his motor and leadership, but he will need to be replaced within a year or two. I think this is another of those next year things. Willie Young is a great spot player but I don't think he's ready for a starters role.

January 11th, 2012, 10:54 pm
QB Coach

http://det.scout.com/2/1147673.html

Just saw this article on Scout.com from the "Roarreport." It's pretty good, and has some interesting names.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

January 12th, 2012, 9:09 am

I would be in favor of DeCastro, Konz, or Brown. I don't know if Brown would put his hand on the ground on third down. I don't know if DeCastro could play C, but you wouldn't ask Steve Hutchinson to play C (I've heard the comparison, but most likely hyperbole). I don't know if Konz is too tall to play C.

All that said, I'd be happy with any of them. The game is becoming an offensive freak show, so you might as well stock up on offense and try to have a serviceable defense. Bulking up our O-Line gives the O a bit more balance.

January 12th, 2012, 12:38 pm
Team MVP

Wayne Fontes wrote:
I would be in favor of DeCastro, Konz, or Brown. I don't know if Brown would put his hand on the ground on third down. I don't know if DeCastro could play C, but you wouldn't ask Steve Hutchinson to play C (I've heard the comparison, but most likely hyperbole). I don't know if Konz is too tall to play C.

All that said, I'd be happy with any of them. The game is becoming an offensive freak show, so you might as well stock up on offense and try to have a serviceable defense. Bulking up our O-Line gives the O a bit more balance.

I would rather be in favor of DeCastrto, Konz, or BURFICT.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 12th, 2012, 8:58 pm

Burfict could be a solid pick at 23, but I said Brown because he plays on the outside where I think most of our trouble was this year. I think Burfict is more of a plug and play MLB, which is fine if Tulloch doesn't re-sign. If he does, maybe a more natural OLB would be a better pick. Burfict is tough as nails though, that's for sure.

January 13th, 2012, 10:22 am
RIP Killer

MLive wrote:
Martin Mayhew, Detroit Lions will stick with taking best player available in NFL draft

ALLEN PARK - In Detroit's first few NFL drafts under Martin Mayhew, the general manager has been crystal clear on his approach: the Lions will take the best player available, according to their draft board.

It was pretty logical, considering the myriad needs the team had, to get the best player possible because it was likely that player would be in the starting lineup.

But with a much more talented roster - and far fewer needs - many are wondering if Mayhew will alter his approach to fill those needs rather than potentially draft a player at a position where the Lions are already well-stocked.

"Our (draft) philosophy, we talk about it pretty much every year, we'll take the best player available," said Mayhew. "What we don't want to do is reach for needs at specific positions - bypass good players to reach for a need. In the history of the draft, I've seen a lot of mistakes doing that, and we don't believe in that."

Last year, despite having depth at defensive tackle - including Corey Williams and the previous draft's No. 2 overall pick in Ndamukong Suh - the Lions were more than happy to jump all over Nick Fairley when the defensive tackle out of Auburn fell to them at No. 13 in the first round.

Detroit took Boise State wide receiver Titus Young with their second-round pick, despite having Calvin Johnson and Nate Burleson, and traded back up into the second round to draft Illinois running back Mikel Leshoure.

"(Fairley) was the best player available, by far, so we took him," said Mayhew. "We took a receiver, we took a running back. I'm happy with those guys' futures. The way I see those guys developing in the future, I'm happy with that part of the process right now.

All three top picks dealt with injuries in training camp. Fairley's broken foot healed in time for him to play in Week 5, but he never got a chance see a full recovery from any of the effects. Young overcame a hamstring injury in training camp to be productive during his rookie season, but Leshoure suffered a season-ending Achilles tendon tear.

Still, it won't change Mayhew's philosophy to take the best player available.

"Obviously, we had some injuries we had to deal with this year with Mikel and Nick," he said. "I would have liked to have seen them on the field more, but it's not their fault they weren't on the field more. But both of those guys are going to be outstanding players for us in the future."

January 13th, 2012, 3:25 pm
Profile WWW
I hope the BPA isn't another damn DT! HELLO MILLEN!

January 13th, 2012, 3:55 pm
RIP Killer

here is what I think the Lions best case scenario is:

Free Agency

Re-sign Avril, Carpenter, Wright and Tulloch
Extend Calvin to lower his 2012 cap number
Tender all RFAs
Sign FA SS Tyvon Branch

Draft
R1 OC Peter Konz, Wisconsin
Begins career as replacement for Stephen Peterman at RG, slides over to OC when Dom's current deal is expired. Konz has better size and strength than either Peterman or Raiola, so this would be a solid pick.

R2 LB Travis Lewis, Oklahoma
At one time he was thought to be a possible late first round talent, but has slipped on many boards. His subpar season this year was likely due to an injury suffered prior to its start. Having been highly regarded before, he has the talent to flash skills like that again.

R3 CB Trumaine Johnson, Montana
A big (6'2") corner who shows some promise, he may not slip this far. But if he does, the Lions would be foolish not to grab him. If he doesn't work out as a corner, then he has the size and physical nature to play safety.

R4 OT Brandon Mosley, Auburn
Obviously the Lions need to continue upgrading their offensive line. Mosley can play either tackle spot, but is best suited for the blind side. Jason Fox certainly isn't the answer, or future at LT.

R5, R7 (from Seattle), R7 - take BPA.

January 13th, 2012, 4:31 pm

I like the Trumaine Johnson pick. Kid can play CB and S and return punts. Small school sleeper.

January 13th, 2012, 5:16 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
here is what I think the Lions best case scenario is:

Free Agency

Re-sign Avril, Carpenter, Wright and Tulloch
Extend Calvin to lower his 2012 cap number
Tender all RFAs
Sign FA SS Tyvon Branch

Draft
R1 OC Peter Konz, Wisconsin
Begins career as replacement for Stephen Peterman at RG, slides over to OC when Dom's current deal is expired. Konz has better size and strength than either Peterman or Raiola, so this would be a solid pick.

R2 LB Travis Lewis, Oklahoma
At one time he was thought to be a possible late first round talent, but has slipped on many boards. His subpar season this year was likely due to an injury suffered prior to its start. Having been highly regarded before, he has the talent to flash skills like that again.

R3 CB Trumaine Johnson, Montana
A big (6'2") corner who shows some promise, he may not slip this far. But if he does, the Lions would be foolish not to grab him. If he doesn't work out as a corner, then he has the size and physical nature to play safety.

R4 OT Brandon Mosley, Auburn
Obviously the Lions need to continue upgrading their offensive line. Mosley can play either tackle spot, but is best suited for the blind side. Jason Fox certainly isn't the answer, or future at LT.

R5, R7 (from Seattle), R7 - take BPA.

I would be very happy with that offseason. I think Konz would be a VERY good pick and we would be lucky to get him at 23.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 13th, 2012, 9:51 pm
All State

What about Janoris Jenkins ? Maybe we could get him in the later rds, a 1st rd talent who had some character issues but maybe in the right climate could change ?

January 14th, 2012, 11:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next