View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 22nd, 2014, 7:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Lions Team Needs 
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Post Re: Lions Team Needs
Detroit_LIons wrote:
What about Janoris Jenkins ? Maybe we could get him in the later rds, a 1st rd talent who had some character issues but maybe in the right climate could change ?

I think your taking a chance with him.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

January 14th, 2012, 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

Quote:
I like the Trumaine Johnson pick. Kid can play CB and S and return punts. Small school sleeper.

on his highlight reels he seems to play like more of a safety. seems like a good prospect but 3rd rd isnt much of a sleeper, thats a high pick.

January 14th, 2012, 5:20 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Detroit_LIons wrote:
What about Janoris Jenkins ? Maybe we could get him in the later rds, a 1st rd talent who had some character issues but maybe in the right climate could change ?

He has more than some issues. The kid is borderline Pacman Jones. What's he going to be like with NFL money in his pocket? Plus even with his issues some team is likely to use a 1st round pick on him or at least an early 2nd rounder.

January 14th, 2012, 5:37 pm
Towel Boy

Long time ( 5+ year ) lurker here. I'm a North Alabama Alumni and live in the area... NO WAY to Jenkins! Stories I'm hearing are that Jenkins makes Pacman look like Tebow...

January 14th, 2012, 9:23 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

This years draft appears to be talent rich in several areas of need for the Lions. Offensive line, linebacker and cornerback. Unfortunately the same does not appear to be so for safeties. Imo, safety and linebacker should be at the top of the list. With that in mind, if Mark Barron is there at 23, he could be a consideration. He not only fills a huge need, but might be a BPA at that point, which would satisfy Mayhews requirement.

January 14th, 2012, 11:58 pm
League MVP

Barron would fill a huge need but Im not sure the value is there at 23. He s certainly capable of making plays in coverage but he s more of an in the box safety or at least he was in college. Seems to be that coverage is becoming more and more important when the NFL evaluates safeties. But I agree, Barron would help and would help us esp vs the run where Spievey was inconsistent.

January 15th, 2012, 3:50 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

The Legend wrote:
Barron would fill a huge need but Im not sure the value is there at 23. He s certainly capable of making plays in coverage but he s more of an in the box safety or at least he was in college. Seems to be that coverage is becoming more and more important when the NFL evaluates safeties. But I agree, Barron would help and would help us esp vs the run where Spievey was inconsistent.

What follows are a couple of player scouting reports on Barron, one from NFL.com and one from WalterFootball.com

Mark Barron, Alabama, S (6-1, 223): As football leans more towards the passing game offensively, the desire to find safeties with the instincts, athleticism and versatility to make plays in space is a must. Barron certainly possesses those traits, while also bringing the toughness needed to align as an eighth defender in the box against the run. Throw in the fact that he is arguably the best ball hawk in country, and there is no doubt Barron is the top safety in college football.

Barron has had a strong senior season. Entering the BCS Championship, he has totaled 66 tackles (41 solo) with five passes broken up, four tackles for a loss and two interceptions. Barron played well against LSU, making six tackles and a pick. He is one of the hardest hitting safeties in the draft. Barron has excellent instincts. He stays around the ball and has the propensity to make clutch plays. Entering the NFL, Barron has a lot of experience in a complex defense and should be able to make a quick transition to the next level.

I realize scouting reports aren't always accurate. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm just thinking he could be an intriguing option, depending on whats still on the board at that time.

January 15th, 2012, 4:13 pm
RIP Killer

Detroit_LIons wrote:

No. Some team will likely take a flyer on him late in round one or round two, but the Lions don't have desperate needs at corner and issues that are so serious he gets kicked off the Florida team is an eye opener. It's a shame, because I truly think he's probably the most talented cover corner in the draft. But he has screwed up nearly every chance he had to finish his collegiate career at Florida. One season in North Alabama where they aren't reporting any wrong doings doesn't mean he wasn't doing anything wrong.

January 16th, 2012, 12:56 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

m2karateman wrote:
Detroit_LIons wrote:

No. Some team will likely take a flyer on him late in round one or round two, but the Lions don't have desperate needs at corner and issues that are so serious he gets kicked off the Florida team is an eye opener. It's a shame, because I truly think he's probably the most talented cover corner in the draft. But he has screwed up nearly every chance he had to finish his collegiate career at Florida. One season in North Alabama where they aren't reporting any wrong doings doesn't mean he wasn't doing anything wrong.

But it also doesn't mean that he's been makin' it rain up in the club either. I'd have to imagine that he was given a wake up call with getting booted from Florida.

Kid's got talent. It's the type of thing that's going to come down to the combine interview, which obviously, we can't hear. Some team is going to take a risk on him, and will probably get a damn good player.

January 16th, 2012, 1:11 pm
Team MVP

Id definetely be happy with drafting Barron, but it all depends on who is there at 23. What I can say with confidence is that if we drafted Barron, I guarantee he'll start from day 1.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 16th, 2012, 5:08 pm

My only hesitance is that Spievey may be able to bounce back. He played much better his first year, then regressed this year. Suh played great his first year, regressed his second. I just think that a lot of players burst onto the scene and play well their first year of starting, and then regress a bit their second, and then hopefully bounce back their third year. Just a thought.

January 16th, 2012, 5:18 pm
Team MVP

You really think Suh regressed his second year? I understand he didnt get the same sacks numbers, but look how much he was double teamed, plus missing two games.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

January 16th, 2012, 5:56 pm
Team MVP

Just to add to this thread, isnt it wierd how now that we are a pretty good team, we are having more trouble deciding what the Lions biggest need(s) is? Some say LB, some say DBs, some say O-line.......gotta love Detroit Lions offseason.

January 16th, 2012, 6:01 pm

Besides statistics, Suh didn't have the same year that he did his rookie year. I think part of it is what you said, but there was also the fact that teams knew how to best neutralize him. They ran directly at him a lot more this year, and had good success at it. They used his upfield aggressiveness against him to gash the Lions D. He didn't get the push up the middle this year like he did last year. Part of the reason he had 10 sacks last year is because the DE's were able to force the QB to have to step up in the pocket, and he got good pressure up the middle that garnered a lot of sacks. That changed this year. There were a lot of times where QB's could step up into the pocket and get the pass away before Suh or the other DT's were able to get to him.

It seems to me that the defensive line alignment this year was a little different then last year. I'm not trying to have the whole "wide 9" conversation, but I think that this affected the statistical output of our DT's negatively, and helped that of the DE's. I think the ideal wide 9 DT is a less aggressive upfield rusher and more of a run stuffer. Corey Williams and SLH are more ideally suited then Suh and Fairley.

January 17th, 2012, 12:17 pm
RIP Killer

I agree. Suh wasn't as effective in part to double teams but also in part to scheme. Teams learned they could let Suh penetrate, which is what he has been asked to do, and take advantage of that. Really starting with the San Francisco game they would let Suh in and use his momentum against him, blocking him behind and out of the play. Many teams followed this same strategy. This will continue unless the Lions adjust the scheme. Remember when the coaching staff all talked about moving Suh all over the DL before the season, that never materialized.

As for Spievey, he started out as a CB and struggle to adjust to the safety position so when he started playing better I think everyone got excited. I don't think he was any better than he was this year. He still lacks the instincts needed to play the safety position, we may be expected given his lack of time at the spot. Still the angles he takes towards the ball carrier are the worst on the team, by far, and need to be fixed or bill plays will continue to happen. If this can't be corrected, he needs to be replaced because he is such a liability out there.

January 17th, 2012, 12:29 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next