View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 30th, 2014, 12:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Cornerbacks 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Cornerbacks
If the Lions were to try and move up, I think it would not be a major move like Atlanta last season. I figure it would be like six or seven spots. I don't think they would trade away our second rounder to move up higher than that. And Mayhew showed last season that he is willing to pay only so much for a player he likes. If the team involved wants more, Martin won't pull the trigger.

If they do try to move up, it will likely be for a cornerback or perhaps an offensive lineman they really like. I don't think they'll move up to get a defensive end. If one falls to them that they like, I can understand making the pick. But moving up would mean they have a particular player targeted that plays a position of need, in my opinion.

April 2nd, 2012, 12:13 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
If the Lions were to try and move up, I think it would not be a major move like Atlanta last season. I figure it would be like six or seven spots. I don't think they would trade away our second rounder to move up higher than that. And Mayhew showed last season that he is willing to pay only so much for a player he likes. If the team involved wants more, Martin won't pull the trigger.

If they do try to move up, it will likely be for a cornerback or perhaps an offensive lineman they really like. I don't think they'll move up to get a defensive end. If one falls to them that they like, I can understand making the pick. But moving up would mean they have a particular player targeted that plays a position of need, in my opinion.

If they did move up far enough, I wonder if a team would accept our 1st + Avril instead of using next years 1st.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 2nd, 2012, 2:01 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

kdsberman wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

If they did move up far enough, I wonder if a team would accept our 1st + Avril instead of using next years 1st.

Starter and a potential starter for a potential starter? No thanks.

April 2nd, 2012, 2:12 pm
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Starter and a potential starter for a potential starter? No thanks.

Agree. I wouldn't trade Avril plus our first rounder to move up. I'd be more than happy to trade Avril for a first rounder though.

April 2nd, 2012, 2:44 pm
Team MVP

Good point. Dumb idea.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

April 2nd, 2012, 5:32 pm
RIP Killer

duh!

Quote:
Top cornerback prospect Claiborne reportedly bombs Wonderlic test

Every year before the NFL Draft, it seems one big-time prospect's low Wonderlic score gets brought to light. This year, that player is former LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne, whom Pro Football Talk reports scored a 4 on the timed 50-question intelligence test.

Based on his athletic skills and shutdown potential as a cover man, Claiborne is a potential top-six pick when the 2012 NFL Draft begins on April 26. The Minnesota Vikings (No. 3) and Tampa Bay Buccaneers (No. 5) both need the services of a young, top-flight corner.

The revelation of what Claiborne did on the test might give the teams most interested in him a point to ponder, but by no means should it keep them from grabbing him high for what he can do on the field.

There have been notable players who struggled with the Wonderlic across all positions, but it can have little to do with NFL success. The same goes for those who have aced the test. Take the current San Francisco 49ers for example.

Coming out of the University of Miami (Fla.), Frank Gore reportedly scored a 6, but that hasn't stopping him from becoming a three-time Pro Bowl running back for the Niners. His quarterback, Alex Smith, reportedly scored a 40 before being drafted first overall in 2005 but has yet to make a Pro Bowl at a most cerebral position. You can bet the Niners didn't go far back and worry about the fact Randy Moss scored a 12 before signing him as Smith's playmaking wide receiver this offseason.

Because a score as low as Claiborne's has never been documented for such a highly rated prospect, it will probably now come up as the No. 1 topic of conversation when he meets with Bucs and Vikings officials in the near future.

His defensive abilities stand out from game film and workouts, but how Claiborne presents himself to those teams is now most important in the pre-draft stretch run. What will help Claiborne as he meets with the Buccaneers is the presence of an assistant who knows him well — former LSU defensive backs coach Ron Cooper.

Claiborne's 4 comes on the heels of former Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor reportedly scoring a 7 a year ago, before the Oakland Raiders took him in the third round of the 2011 supplemental draft.

April 3rd, 2012, 4:49 pm
Profile WWW
Vince Young scored a 6, is there really that much of a difference between a 4 and a 6?

April 3rd, 2012, 5:05 pm
League MVP

50% difference

April 3rd, 2012, 5:17 pm
The Legend wrote:
50% difference

Hahaha... Kind of...

6 out of 50 is a 12%

4 out of 50 is an 8%

Both are junk in my book.

April 3rd, 2012, 5:44 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Claiborne has a learning disability. Reading is tough, so taking these kinds of tests aren't telling at all about overall intelligence. This is just something being leaked, hoping it will push him down a few slots... which it won't. You ever see results for 7th rounders leaked? Its always the top few picks that get leaked.

April 3rd, 2012, 8:17 pm
Team MVP

njroar wrote:
Claiborne has a learning disability. Reading is tough, so taking these kinds of tests aren't telling at all about overall intelligence. This is just something being leaked, hoping it will push him down a few slots... which it won't. You ever see results for 7th rounders leaked? Its always the top few picks that get leaked.

He could have scored a ZERO on the test, but I bet hes smart enough to not get caught with marijuana ](*,) ](*,)

April 3rd, 2012, 9:50 pm
All State

I find it funny that people think the players put that much into the test . If they scored a 0 they still are going to get drafted and get to live their dreams and get paid millions .

April 3rd, 2012, 11:59 pm
Detroit_LIons wrote:
I find it funny that people think the players put that much into the test . If they scored a 0 they still are going to get drafted and get to live their dreams and get paid millions .

It matters more for cerebral positions like Qb, and OL, but I can see how it would matter for MLB, FS, SS, and CB.

April 4th, 2012, 2:45 am
Heisman Winner

As long as he can read the #81 on the opposition jersey and know he's about to get roasted, he'll fit in just fine in the NFL.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

April 4th, 2012, 8:52 am
RIP Killer

Besides which, the Wonderlic is not strictly an intelligence test. It also looks into how someone conducts themselves under a time pressure, as well as asking questions that are more of a psychological nature than intelligence nature. Ryan Fitzpatrick reportedly scored perfect on it. He plays the most cerebral position in the league. It doesn't make him a great QB, or even a good one, for that matter.

Like anything else done during the Combine, you take it for what it's worth. Guys who run a 4.3 don't always have great careers. Guy who bench 45 times don't always have great careers. It is what it is...just a small portion of measuring up the prospect.

April 4th, 2012, 2:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next