View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2014, 3:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Lions Team Needs 
Color Commentator - John Madden

Post Lions Team Needs
I thought I would start a thread where we can discuss the needs of the team. This may translate toward the draft, but Mayhew has been a BPA type of GM in the last few drafts. Now that we have amassed some talent, he may start to draft for need, as the team he took over was bereft of talent. Below are my thoughts on the subject, and I would appreciate your thoughts

LT- Jeff Backus will eventually need to be replaced. He has been average this year, as always. Jason Fox hasn't shown the ability to stay healthy, and we may never see what he has to offer.

C- Dominic Raiola, while he is a cagey f#@&, that's about all he brings to the table. A top flight center who can get a solid push up the middle would really help this running game and make the offense very dynamic.

RT- Gosder Cherilus has been awful this year. It started out with his personal foul in Tampa and he has been beaten with ease the last few weeks against less than stellar DE's. Corey Hilliard isn't the solution and is nothing more than a backup.

DE- Willy Young is ok getting a pass rush, but KVB is aging and a younger guy who can stop the run would be a nice addition to this D-Line.

OLB- I've really soured on DeAndre Levy this year. He's forced some turnovers this year, but he's been a liability in run support this year and doesn't deliver a blow at the point of attack.

S- I don't like Spievey and Delmas is hurt a lot. Does Coleman make the team next year? If Silva is going to be a starter, he better play better than he did last week.

Obviously, all of these won't be addressed on draft day, or in free agency. These are just my observations that can be addressed this offseason.

December 13th, 2011, 3:23 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Post Re: Lions Team Needs
To compound our troubles in revamping the o-line, there are not many good options in FA this year that we know of. There will either need to be a trade, a draft pick (or two or three) spend on linemen, or we'll just sign another scrub to be a backup and (kind of) compete with/push our current starter. Lookin' at you, Peterman.

I don't know what is supposed to be available in the draft in terms of talent at the offensive line but if there is good value at a high pick, I would like to see it taken by us. I want quality offensive linemen for once and we're a good three or four of those away. I imagine that we'll be picking in the lower 20's (20-25). That's usually where the best guards or good tackles go, so I'm just really praying for some good value.

December 13th, 2011, 5:23 pm
Team MVP

I think you summed it up pretty accurately WayneFontes.

In my opinion, after watching all but two games this year, I think the offensive line should be tops on Mayhews "to-do" list. If we could land guard David DeCastro of Stanford and center Peter Konz of Wisconsin, I would be a VERY happy man and I think Stafford and RB (whoever that might be) would be too. Its hard to say what Mayhew has planned, and its hard to say who will be ranked where and drafted where, but I think drafting those two, if possible, would do WONDERS for this team. In 2010, we drafted Suh, then traded up to get Best. This past draft we drafted Fairley, then traded up to get LeShoure. The 2012 Draft, Id like to see them do that again with DeCastro + Konz.

I think other than offensive lineman, Id like to see them get a quality safety. Like Fontes said, Delmas is always hurt and Spievey aint the answer on the other side. Ive read some sites that talk highly of Barron from Alabama, but I've never watched him personally.

Overall on defense, Id like them to upgrade whichever position they can that will improve our run defense. Either someone or something aint clickin.

Luckily, this next offseason we will be able to understand our team needs much better because Free Agency will have already been going on, unlike this past year. But like I said before, something has got to happen with this offensive line. I remember Killer saying repeatedly that this team will not take that next step until they can get a pass rush with the front 4. He was correct. Once we improved it, the team improved dramatically. I believe the same thing with the offensive line now. Once we can improve it, this team takes yet another step.

Make it happen Mayhew. But first, lets win these last 3 games.

Go Lions!

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 13th, 2011, 10:05 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Great post, Fontes.

I think the DE position will be fine if Lawrence Jackson can come back and stay healthy next year. KVB can still play but he's been getting too many snaps in the past few weeks, which is mostly because of Jackson's injury. This is assuming, of course, that Avril is re-signed.

Of all the OL positions, I'd say RG is the place to start! I'd like to see the Lions get someone with the flexibility to play G or C. Of course if a solid LT is there in round one then that would be a good move but I'm guessing a good G/C could be found in rounds 3-5.

December 13th, 2011, 11:19 pm
Wayne Fontes wrote:
I thought I would start a thread where we can discuss the needs of the team. This may translate toward the draft, but Mayhew has been a BPA type of GM in the last few drafts. Now that we have amassed some talent, he may start to draft for need, as the team he took over was bereft of talent. Below are my thoughts on the subject, and I would appreciate your thoughts

LT- Jeff Backus will eventually need to be replaced. He has been average this year, as always. Jason Fox hasn't shown the ability to stay healthy, and we may never see what he has to offer.

C- Dominic Raiola, while he is a cagey f#@&, that's about all he brings to the table. A top flight center who can get a solid push up the middle would really help this running game and make the offense very dynamic.

RT- Gosder Cherilus has been awful this year. It started out with his personal foul in Tampa and he has been beaten with ease the last few weeks against less than stellar DE's. Corey Hilliard isn't the solution and is nothing more than a backup.

DE- Willy Young is ok getting a pass rush, but KVB is aging and a younger guy who can stop the run would be a nice addition to this D-Line.

OLB- I've really soured on DeAndre Levy this year. He's forced some turnovers this year, but he's been a liability in run support this year and doesn't deliver a blow at the point of attack.

S- I don't like Spievey and Delmas is hurt a lot. Does Coleman make the team next year? If Silva is going to be a starter, he better play better than he did last week.

Obviously, all of these won't be addressed on draft day, or in free agency. These are just my observations that can be addressed this offseason.

I think you have to add OG to the list of OL needs. For continuity sake I think we have to go into next year with Backus and Gos as our two OTs. IMO we HAVE to get a starting caliber OG to to pair with Sims, and hopefully that guy can be moved to C in the next year or two. My OL wish is that we spend a round 1-3 pick on a C/OG that plays OG for us for a year or two, moves to C, and we can grab our next OG in a draft to come, or FA. I would never want to replace more than two OLmen in the same year. I WISH someone like Nick Mangold or Alex Mack was available this year. Maybe one will shake out.

I would like to look at nothing but OG/C/LB/CB/or S for our first round pick.

I agree with you on Levey, but I wasn't ever really a big fan of his. I think it's pretty sad that someone who was one of our best LBs is now one of our worst, and his play really hasn't regressed. It just shows how far this team has come. That said, I think Levy can get us through next season, as well as our DL. Willie Young, Avril, LoJack, and KVB can get us through next season, especially with our incredibly talented DTs. I wouldn't mind seeing Suh take some DE snaps too, esp. in goal line formations.

December 14th, 2011, 10:54 am

Surprisingly, Peterman hasn't been as awful as he was last year. He played decent enough 2 years ago and got himself a contract. Last year, he was the whipping boy because of his untimely and numerous penalties. Some of that could have been attributed to his injury and some just to his lack of talent. He really hasn't had too many of those this year and has been able to play relatively well. I would say that he has been the best of Raiola, himself, and Gos. That right side gets beat very often, and more often then not it's one of the others fault.

If David DeCastro were available, he might be the pick, even though, IMO, OG isn't the most pressing need on that OL. I even think Gos might be able to slide down and play RG. As for Peter Konz, that'd be a great pick up. Konz could end up being a late first, early second round guy, and if he falls out of the first round, the Lions would probably have to trade up to get him. The other top guys available at C are David Molk and Mike Brewster, both Big Ten guys, and should be available in the 2nd round or lower. Brewster had a 1st round grade at the beginning of the season, but didn't have the best senior season, hurting his stock.

As for the other positions I mentioned and available names, some of whom will be available, others who won't.

OT:
Matt Kalil, USC- Kept Tyron Smith, a top ten pick of the Cowboys last year on the right side as a Sophomore. Top available tackle in the draft, brother of Panthers Pro Bowl C Ryan Kalil. Great pass blocker, could get better in the run game but has potential to be a very good LT in the league for years to come.

Riley Reiff, Iowa- Big, strong, physical T you would expect coming from a Kirk Ferentz system. Similar to former first rounder Bryan Bulaga who has the ability to play both T spots.

Jonathan Martin, Stanford- Andrew Luck's blind side protector. Played better as a Junior. Can get beaten with a speed rush, but is slightly ahead of Kalil in run blocking. Could see playing RT in the league if LT doesn't work out.

DE:
Quinton Coples, UNC- Could be a top 10 pick, depending on how he tests out. Showed some positional flexibility in college, but never put up huge numbers. Solid all around DE with a high ceiling.

Jared Crick, NEB- More of a 5 technique in a 3-4 defense, but could kick down to the 3 or out to the 9 like the Lions play. Strong, but coming off a torn pec so he could fall.

Melvin Ingram, South Carolina- Big, strong, fast player who has made impact plays all year for South Carolina.

OLB:
Zach Brown, UNC- Fast guy who is good against both the run and the pass. Always around the ball. Could be a better version of Ernie Sims.

Luke Kuechly, BC- Plays in the middle in college, but could be a fit on the outside in the pros. A little undersized for MLB in NFL, but always around the ball, technically sound playmaker who is a tackling machine.

Courtney Upshaw, Ala- Big run stuffer who played on a pro defense in college. Intriguing prospect because of size.

Bruce Irvin, WVU- Fast guy with good size who can be a great value in the 2nd or 3rd round.

S:
TJ McDonald, USC- Tall, rangy safety who can deliver a pop in the run game and closes well helping over the top. Only a junior who may stay in school, but in a weak S class, he could come out and be one of the first safeties chosen.

Mark Barron, Ala- Big, run support type of SS that the Lions could use. Can creep up in the box and make running on the D tough.

Markelle Martin, OkSt- Good speed, good tackler that can bump him into the second round, depending on how the junior class decides.

December 14th, 2011, 12:12 pm
I think we should experiment with Gos at RG this season if we're going to consider moving him. I wouldn't be opposed to letting Peterman play OG and drafting and starting a rookie C, but IMO the importance of the position leads me to prefer that a rookie play OG for a year before taking the reigns at C. There are plenty of players that handle the role striaght out of college, however.

I'm not a big David Molk fan, or Brewster fan. My view of Brewster is tainted by his school of choice, OSU, their reputation, and everything that it entails. That said, I'm not blinded by Maze and Blue colored glasses either. I don't think UofM's OL has performed well at all this year, and it's tough to spot talent in what I think is a shambles of an OL. Do either of those guys have any elgibility left?

December 14th, 2011, 2:03 pm

Both are seniors and both will be drafted. Molk won the Rimington Award as the nations top center and was named an AP All-American. His accolades check out. I think he has a chance to be a decent Center in the NFL, but my concern is that he's a little undersized and will need to be in the right kind of offense to be successful. We've gone through the undersized Raiola years of getting no push up the middle. Brewster is a little bigger but he's struggled this year with his shotgun snaps and he often got beat with more than just a bull rush. Of the two, I think Molk has a little better skill set.

December 14th, 2011, 4:41 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

CHEERLEADERS. that's what we need!

Not baton twirlers!
Not high schoolers that make me feel all pedophile like.
just some good ole fashioned Cheerleader action! we get those and suddenly spectaters aint quite so pissed off about the latest penalty.

plus...maybe the guys start acting right on the field and try and impress the hotties....just a random thought

December 14th, 2011, 4:53 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Maize & Blue Blinders or not Molk won the OC of the Year Award against all other Centers. That tells you something about how the rest of the country views him.

That said, I dont think he is an Alex Mack/Ryan Kalil/Nick mangold quality OC, and think he is a 2nd round talent i/o bottom 1st.

December 14th, 2011, 4:58 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

If Konz decides to declare he could be an ideal pick for the Lions. Pouncey might have been a better choice long terminstead of Fairley (still don't like the pick).

December 14th, 2011, 7:05 pm
Team MVP

sweetd20 wrote:
If Konz decides to declare he could be an ideal pick for the Lions.

Absolutely. And if we can win 2 of the next 3 we should be in good position to draft him without reaching either.

Wes Bunting of Nationalfootballpost.com says he thinks the Lions would do good drafting Mike Adams, the LT for OSU. Im thinking as of now he might be able to be had in the second round.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

December 14th, 2011, 9:25 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
regularjoe12 wrote:
CHEERLEADERS. that's what we need!

Not baton twirlers!
Not high schoolers that make me feel all pedophile like.
just some good ole fashioned Cheerleader action! we get those and suddenly spectaters aint quite so pissed off about the latest penalty.

plus...maybe the guys start acting right on the field and try and impress the hotties....just a random thought

:idea:

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

December 15th, 2011, 12:45 am
Profile WWW

What do cheerleaders actually bring to a professional football team? I never understood that. They give horn-dogs some cooz to look at; if you want cooz, go to Bazooki's in Greektown after the game.

Mike Adams... I'm not sold on him as a first rounder.

December 16th, 2011, 3:25 pm
Team MVP

Wayne Fontes wrote:
Mike Adams... I'm not sold on him as a first rounder.

Oh no..me neither. Im just sayin its something to think about.

December 16th, 2011, 9:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 123 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next