View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 10:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Lions offered three picks to go get Patrick Peterson 
Modmin Dude

Post Lions offered three picks to go get Patrick Peterson
PFT wrote:
Lions offered three picks to go get Patrick Peterson
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on May 4, 2011, 9:56 AM EDT

Before the Lions watched defensive tackle Nick Fairley fall into their lap, they tried to make an even bigger splash on draft day.

As mentioned in one-liners, the Lions tried to move up to acquire cornerback Patrick Peterson. Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press has some new details on the package of picks they attempted to use to grab the cornerback ultimately taken by the Cardinals.

The Lions offered their first-, second- and fourth-round choices to the Cardinals to go get Peterson, but Arizona declined. It will be an interesting to trade to look back on in a few years.

Eight picks after Peterson, the Lions took Fairley. They nabbed Boise State receiver Titus Young with their second round pick. They later packaged their fourth-round pick in a deal to move up for running back Mikel Leshoure.

Time will tell if the Cardinals made the right move in turning down the deal. In something as unpredictable as the draft, we tend to think teams have a better chance of hitting a home run if they get more swings at the plate — even after the first round.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -peterson/

May 4th, 2011, 10:49 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

Post Re: Lions offered three picks to go get Patrick Peterson
So we would have gotten 1 starter out of the deal, whereas we got 3 starters. I'm glad we didn't.

May 4th, 2011, 11:41 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Wayne Fontes wrote:
So we would have gotten 1 starter out of the deal, whereas we got 3 starters. I'm glad we didn't.

I was thinking the same thing.

NEVER GIVE UP!

May 4th, 2011, 11:43 am
RIP Killer

Tough call, that would have been a nice pickup for the Cards. I'm glad we didn't, though Peterson is probably worth it. I certainly would not have been upset!

May 4th, 2011, 11:49 am
RIP Killer

First, I have never been a big Patrick Peterson fan - don't think he is the shut down corner may others believe he is. Second, I think Peterson will be a safety fairly soon. Third, I don't think the Lions envisioned Fairley to be on the board at 13 and wouldn't have made this offer if he was.

I'm not sure we got three starters instead. Will Leshoure start over Best? Will Young start over Burleson, or will the Lions not open with 2 TE sets? I'm not even sure Fairley beats out Corey Williams early on.

All that said, who would you rather have assuming the Lions didn't make/made this trade:

1 no trade) Fairley, Young, and LeShoure

or 2 made trade) Peterson and LB Mason Foster in the 3rd (or G John Moffitt, who the Seahawks took at our pick)

IMO, that is two sure starters at our two biggest positions of need. I think you have to look at it from this perspective as well.

May 4th, 2011, 11:56 am
Profile WWW

Good point. But if they Lions had made that move, they wouldn't have necessarily made those moves. If they had come out with a CB and LB with their first too picks, we would all feel better, but there's no guarantee that they would start over Peterman or Carpenter. I was a big Foster fan and I think he'll be a good player in the league. The way Mayhew drafted this year, it begs the question of what the board would have dictated at those remaining picks. Hell, they could have said WR (Leonard Hankerson, Vincent Brown) or RB (DeMarco Murray, Alex Green). Would you rather have the guys we got at those positions instead of 2 guys of lesser stature at those positions?

May 4th, 2011, 12:03 pm
RIP Killer

That the thing, I don't think there was much drop off at either the WR or the RB spots between the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

How much better is Young then Hankerson?

How much better is Leshoure than Murray or Green?

I didn't have a big difference in grades. But look at the grade difference between Peterson and anything else you can throw out there at CB.

May 4th, 2011, 12:13 pm
Profile WWW

Or Safety.

May 4th, 2011, 12:58 pm
RIP Killer

Pablo wrote:
or 2 made trade) Peterson and LB Mason Foster in the 3rd (or G John Moffitt, who the Seahawks took at our pick)

IMO, that is two sure starters at our two biggest positions of need. I think you have to look at it from this perspective as well.

Good point

May 4th, 2011, 1:07 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Quote:

You are putting too much importance on the term "starter".

First, there is really no "starting" RBs anymore. This is a multi back league, and calling one RB the starter over another means about as much as getting a gold star in elementary school. Leshore will probably get as many or more carries than Best, even if Best touches the ball more often (as in Leshore will be used more often in traditional running plays). Further, if they don't trade C-Will away (which I believe they will strongly consider--try to send him away for a veteran corner in return) Fairely will more than likely be the starter by mid-season and for the next five years, and even when he doesn't start in the first few games he will get considerable play time.

I see Titus Young differently from everyone else. People forget that WRs take 2-3 seasons to really mature. I think he fits your point most in that he doesn't fill an immediate need. I don't think he will get very many passes thrown his way in the next two years (our third/fourth receivers are our TEs). But his return skills makes Logan a trade-able commodity and, when 30 year old Burleson gets hurt/declines in a couple seasons, Titus will be there to step in with no loss to the Lion's offense. Taking Young was a long-term play, but a very smart one.

If Fairley busts and PP7 is the second coming of D. Sanders, then sure, the Lions should've made that trade. But I'm really glad that Arizona declined the offer. I'd take Fairely/Leshore/Young over PP7/3rd round G or LB both for this season and the future.

May 4th, 2011, 2:11 pm

Thats really taking a few things to extremes. What if Patrick Peterson ends up being Terry Fair?? What if Fairley ends up being BETTER than Suh?

While a receiver has an adjustment period, a "3rd" WR is going to take the top off the defense which will benefit the offense more than just by numbers alone.

I do agree about Leshoure, but if he provides more than 555 rushing yards (like Best did this year) and Best blows up, it will prove to be a damn good pick.

May 4th, 2011, 2:49 pm
RIP Killer

At WR and RB, there is no such thing as a "starter" for the Lions. You may have a depth chart showing who the better of the players are, but there are packages used that take the "starters" out in favor of the "backups". It would be like saying that due to the Fairley pick, Corey Williams will not be a starter. It's a vague term, at best.

True starters exist at safety, cornerback, offensive line and quarterback for this team. All other positions are rotated based on different elements.

That said, we picked up three "contributors" who will do that immediately for our team. And before anyone says it would be easier to find a third receiver or power running back in free agency, can you sit there and GUARANTEE me that we'll sign players like that in free agency? No, you can't. Taking these players in the draft guarantees that those are roster spots that have been filled, and filled with TALENT, not just another body who wins the job because nobody else stepped up and took the job away from him.

I'm glad the Lions didn't do the deal. As Pablo said, I have never truly been convinced of Peterson being the next Ty Law/Champ Bailey/Charles Woodson....whatever. He relied VERY heavily on his athletic skills in college, and not so much on technique. In his behalf, one can say that athleticism can't be taught, but technique can. That being the case, why hasn't the technique teachings that he undoubtedly got at LSU taken hold then? Just because it can be taught doesn't mean it will be learned and applied with success. BIG difference. He may turn out to be the best ever at the position....but I have my doubts. I do, however, think he's going to be a solid NFL player, in the very least.

I understand that folks are concerned about our linebackers and secondary. But look at the bright side....we won our last four games with pretty much the same guys we have returning at those spots, without our starting quarterback and with a good many players on IR or hurt. We have an athletic rookie linebacker with solid coverage skills coming in to add depth. We may now have the best tandem of young defensive tackles that the NFL has ever seen, and we've added a legitimate slot receiver with deep speed and reliable hands, which is nothing to sneeze at. Add our new power running back who never once fumbled the ball in college, and I think we got the better of the non-deal.

Mayhew did tremendous things last off-season, via trades and free agent signings. There's no guarantee he'll fill every need, but I can see him bettering the roster before it's all said and done. Based on what Mayhew and Schwartz have done in the drafts, I'd rather that they had more picks than less. I agree that having Peterson and Moffitt or Foster would have been nice, but I believe the Lions will be just fine and fans will come to appreciate the players that were taken.

May 4th, 2011, 3:08 pm
NFL Veteran

Hmmm. I had that premonition Thursday morning that the Lions were trading up for him. Guess it was just a matter of Arizona resisting. I would have to say I would've been happy had it happened. In retrospect this is one of the weakest drafts top to bottom, and it'd be one of those years where it makes sense to go for quality over quantity. Regardless, Mayhew made the best of it for sure.

I think starting caliber receiver stopped with Titus Young. And upon further review he fills a certifiable hole in our offense. Seifert blog shows how we were one of the crappiest big play teams in the nfl. And it shows how bad our no. 3's were, being unable to capitalize on the double teams Calvin got. Same thing every week, bracket a safety over CJ. Shows you how great CJ was and how brilliant our OC is since they just took what the defense gave and still had a probowl year. If Young can take advantage by making teams play honest, it will open up the rest of the offense. I am high on Greg Salas, but he wouldn't be able to stretch a defense thin like Young can. He's beastly like Boldin, but that would not unclog the secondary like Young will be able to.

blueskies wrote:
People forget that WRs take 2-3 seasons to really mature. I think he fits your point most in that he doesn't fill an immediate need. I don't think he will get very many passes thrown his way in the next two years

This statement is no longer a truism. Over the past 3-5 years, rookie receivers have come in and shown they can make an immediate impact (Colston, Nicks, Bryant, Mike Williams (TB), Bess). And Mayhew has said as such regarding Young. Something along the lines that he can step in and make an impact right away.

LeShoure should be the starter. Well... the feature back. Anyone can start, but LeShoure should be the guy to pound defenses and weaken them for the kill. Best is going to be that big bat. The beauty of LeShoure is that Best will be fresh and ready for the home run at any time, even late in the game, since the grind it out duties will be fore LeShoure, who can also hit the home run.

I disagree about Peterson moving to safety, at least not soon... not for at least a decade. He runs and backpedals like a much smaller corner and has the best ball skills I've seen in a long time. It would be a terrible waste to not utilize that. I guess you could put him there and he would be an all-pro, but why be a last resort when you can erase the no. 1 receiver?

I suppose it's win win either way for me. We got three high impact guys immediately. And the alternative would've been to have the rare shut down corner and fill the WR/RB position in some other way (although they would be much easier to fill).

May 4th, 2011, 3:40 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Pablo wrote:
That the thing, I don't think there was much drop off at either the WR or the RB spots between the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

How much better is Young then Hankerson?

How much better is Leshoure than Murray or Green?

I didn't have a big difference in grades. But look at the grade difference between Peterson and anything else you can throw out there at CB.

Young and Hankerson are different types of WRs. Hank does'nt project as a slot WR.

Leshoure is way way better than Murray and Green.

May 4th, 2011, 10:03 pm

I concur.

May 5th, 2011, 12:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next