View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 30th, 2014, 6:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next
 Various 2012 NFL Mock drafts. 
Color Commentator - John Madden

Post Re: Various 2012 NFL Mock drafts.
I have my own thoughts about Wes Bunting and his analysis and predictions, but they are just that, predictions. There were some picks, like Devon Still at 8 and Ryan Tannehill at 9 that I think are reaches, but with Locker and Ponder being top half of round 1 picks maybe Tannehill will get taken a lot higher than he should. I also don't see Mike Adams being the second tackle off the board, and Stephen Hill as the #3 receiver taken? Over Sanu, Randle, and Jeffrey? Come on man.

I know we like to dissect mock drafts and talk about players falling to the Lions, but would anyone be interested in a thread where we can just talk about prospects that won't be Lions targets, ala Tannehill? I think this would be good so we don't de-rail threads throughout draft season.

February 15th, 2012, 10:40 am

NFL Draft Bible
Rick Serritella

1. Indianapolis (2-14) – QB Andrew Luck, Stanford
2. St. Louis (2-14) – OT Matt Kalil, USC
3. Minnesota (3-13) – OT Riley Reiff, Iowa
4. Cleveland (4-12) – QB Robert Griffin III, Baylor
5. Tampa Bay (4-12) – CB Morris Claiborne, LSU
6. Washington (5-11) – QB Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M
7. Jacksonville (5-11) – WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State
8T. Miami (6-10) – OT Jonathan Martin, Stanford
8T. Carolina (6-10) – DE Quinton Coples, North Carolina
10. Buffalo (6-10) – OLB Courtney Upshaw, Alabama
11T. Kansas City (7-9) – CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama
11T. Seattle (7-9) – DT Michael Brockers, LSU
13. Arizona (8-8) – ILB Luke Kuechly, Arizona
14. Dallas (8-8) – CB Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama
15. Philadelphia (8-8) – DT Devon Still, Penn State
16. NY Jets (8-8) – OLB Melvin Ingram, South Carolina
17. Cincinnati (from Oakland 8-8) – RB Trent Richardson, Alabama
18. San Diego (8-8) – DE Nick Perry, USC
19. Chicago (8-8) – WR Michael Floyd, Notre Dame
20. Tennessee (9-7) – DT Jerel Worthy, Michigan State
21. Cincinnati (9-7) – CB Alfonzo Dennard, Nebraska
22. Cleveland (from Atlanta 10-6) – OT Mike Adams, Ohio State
23. Detroit (10-6) – SS Mark Barron, Alabama
24. Pittsburgh (12-4) – DT Fletcher Cox, Mississippi State
25. Denver (8-8) – DE Whitney Merculis, Illinois
26. Houston (10-6) – WR Rueben Randle, LSU
27. New England (from New Orleans (13-3) – OG David DeCastro, Stanford
28. Green Bay (15-1) – OLB Sean Spence, Miami
29. Baltimore (12-4) – C Peter Konz, Wisconsin
30. San Francisco (13-3) – DT Dontari Poe, Memphis
31. New England (13-3) – DE Jared Crick, Nebraska
32. NY Giants (9-7) – WR Mohamed Sanu, Rutgers

This one has the Lions taking Barron. I highlighted 27 and 28 because a) I don't see DeCastro falling that far and b) Sean Spence is nowhere near a first rounder

February 15th, 2012, 11:06 am
Varsity Captain

If it were to fall like this the lions would be sitting pretty.and i agree.spence is no 1rder.but i could see burfict in that spot.

February 17th, 2012, 10:20 am
RIP Killer

allenslions wrote:
If it were to fall like this the lions would be sitting pretty.and i agree.spence is no 1rder.but i could see burfict in that spot.

In that scenario if the Lions didn't take DeCastro I'd be beyond pissed off. But I agree there's no way he falls that far, not even close. He goes top twenty.

Having to choose between Barron, Konz and Glenn is a good problem to have, but still a problem.

The more I think about this draft and view and review the various mocks, as well as my own, the more I like the idea of the Lions moving down about three or four spots in round one, then moving up about 10 or 12 spots in round two. I think we can find a couple really good players in that range to become immediate starters. Hopefully one will be a safety (Mark Barron or Markelle Martin) and the other an offensive lineman or solid RB.

February 17th, 2012, 4:15 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
allenslions wrote:

In that scenario if the Lions didn't take DeCastro I'd be beyond pissed off. But I agree there's no way he falls that far, not even close. He goes top twenty.

Having to choose between Barron, Konz and Glenn is a good problem to have, but still a problem.

The more I think about this draft and view and review the various mocks, as well as my own, the more I like the idea of the Lions moving down about three or four spots in round one, then moving up about 10 or 12 spots in round two. I think we can find a couple really good players in that range to become immediate starters. Hopefully one will be a safety (Mark Barron or Markelle Martin) and the other an offensive lineman or solid RB.

DeCastro is one of the few players in my mind who would really have to do a lot of bad things to drop his stock from now until April. And as said before, no way he falls that far.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 17th, 2012, 4:21 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

New Wes Bunting/NFP:

Quote:
Mock Draft 4.0
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Moc ... tml&page=2
by Wes Bunting
MARCH 07, 02012
Print This
Our newest mock draft of the season…

1. Indianapolis Colts: Stanford QB Andrew Luck
Seems like Luck to the Colts is all but a lock.

2. -TRADE- Washington Redskins via St. Louis Rams: Baylor QB Robert Griffin III
RG3 is the kind of athletic quarterback that would be an ideal fit in the Washington offense. He can make plays outside the pocket, throw on the run and create second lives with his legs.

ICONRichardson has the talent to go top five.

3. Minnesota Vikings: Southern Cal OT Matt Kalil
Quarterback Christian Ponder has shown flashes in year one, but he needs to stay healthy. Therefore, bringing in the top offensive tackle prospect in the draft who has a chance to mature into a Pro Bowl-caliber lineman seems like an easy selection at three.

4. Cleveland Browns: Alabama RB Trent Richardson
With the top two quarterback prospects off the board, the Browns could opt for the safest offensive threat in the draft. You have to be able to run the football in the AFC North to have a chance and Richardson gives Cleveland that workhorse-type back.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: LSU CB Morris Claiborne
Tampa Bay has done a great job over the past two drafts improving the overall talent along its defensive line. Therefore, adding a playmaking corner who can capitalize on all the potential pressure is a must for this defense to take that next step.

6. –TRADE- St. Louis Rams via Washington Redskins: Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon
Getting a big-play receiver for quarterback Sam Bradford is almost a must at this point. Blackmon can line up all over the offense and has the skill set to produce as a rookie.

7. Jacksonville Jaguars: Notre Dame WR Michael Floyd
Is there a team in the NFL in more need of an upgrade at the wide receiver position than the Jaguars? This might be a bit high for Floyd. However, he’s got the talent to make plays on all levels of the field and fills a major need for the Jags at a position of major need.

8. Miami Dolphins: Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill
The Dolphins have received pretty average quarterback play over the past couple seasons and adding a talent like Tannehill who has the skill set to mature into a franchise QB could be too good to pass up at eight.

9. Carolina Panthers: Memphis DT Dontari Poe
The NFL Combine helped Poe as much as anyone. He’s a massive kid with an elite combination of power, explosion and upside. His tape isn’t great, but I think he’s now a lock for the top 15.

10. Buffalo Bills: South Carolina OLB/DE Melvin Ingram
Finding a pass rusher off the edge is the pressing need for the Bills and Ingram has the ability to reach the QB in a number of ways. He looks like a versatile pass rusher as well, capable of creating plays in both a 34 and 43 front, and seems like a good match for Buffalo.

11. Kansas City Chiefs: Ohio State OT Mike Adams
You have to think after the struggles the Chiefs had at right tackle last season, drafting a guy like Adams who has the size and athleticism to handle powerful NFL pass rushers is an intriguing option at 11.

ICONCoples is the classic "boom" or "bust" type prospect.

12. Seattle Seahawks: North Carolina DL Quinton Coples
The Seahawks have a real unique blend of athletes on the defensive side of the ball and because of that it makes me think Coples would be able to fit right in and fill a number of roles at both DT and DE. Plus, Pete Carroll seems like the kind of coach that could get the most out of Coples’s talent.

13. Arizona Cardinals: Iowa OT Riley Reiff
The Cardinals have a lack of talent up front and adding a lineman like Reiff who can play a number of spots along the offensive line and win in both the run and pass game is a potential choice at 13.

14. Dallas Cowboys: LSU DT Michael Brockers
Brockers is as talented as any defensive lineman in the draft and is capable of maturing into a real game changer up front. He’s got the ability to play all over the Cowboys defensive line early and offers them a lot of versatility in their 34 front.

15. Philadelphia Eagles: Alabama FS Dre Kirkpatrick
Some of the buzz coming out of the NFL Combine is that a number of NFL teams are now looking at Alabama DB Dre Kirkpatrick as the top safety prospect in the draft. The Eagles rarely select a linebacker high in the draft and Kirkpatrick could come in and improve the Eagles play at safety early on.

16. New York Jets: Alabama OLB Courtney Upshaw
Upshaw is a thick, powerful kid who can line up all over the Jets 34 front and get after the passer. He’s got the power to win consistently on contact vs. both the run and pass game and would be the kind of “NFL ready” prospect the Jets would love to get in the middle of round one.

For the rest of the mock click to page two...

17. Cincinnati Bengals: Stanford OG David DeCastro
DeCastro has the ability to become one of the NFL’s best interior linemen and will instantly improve the Bengals offense in both the run and pass game.

ICONGlenn could play some tackle or guard for the Chargers.

18. San Diego Chargers: Georgia OL Cordy Glenn
Glenn is a powerful body who can maul defenders in the run game and more than hold his own inside vs. the pass. A potential Pro Bowl-caliber option at guard who could also project to tackle as well.

19. Chicago Bears: Mississippi State DT Fletcher Cox
Cox is the kind of potential three-technique who can create behind the line of scrimmage and stop plays before they start. Is a good value here and an ideal fit from a schematic standpoint for Chicago.

20. Tennessee Titans: Penn State DT Devon Still
He’s not the most dynamic of pass rushers. However, he’s a big, long kid with a good get off, long arms and knows how to play the run. He’s a potential anchor inside who can push the pocket and eventually win on three downs.

21. Cincinnati Bengals: North Alabama CB Janoris Jenkins
Jenkins is a bit undersized and he does have some character concerns. However, he’s a fluid kid with a “plus” initial burst and when motivated he’s about as tough as any corner in the draft to separate from.

22. Cleveland Browns: Georgia Tech WR Stephen Hill
Hill is going to need to become a more consistent route runner. However, at 6-5 he showcases some natural short-area quickness to his game and knows how to go up and get the football vertically. He’s one of the draft's elite size/speed combos at the receiver spot and his stock is on the rise.

23. Detroit Lions: Stanford OT Jonathan Martin
Getting a potential franchise left tackle at 23 has to be a thrill for the Lions. Martin is an athletic pass blocker who needs to get stronger, but has the talent to hold his own in space vs. the pass game.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers: Wisconsin OL Peter Konz
Konz has the ability to play both center and guard at the next level and gives the Steelers a real upgrade inside.

25. Denver Broncos: Miami RB Lamar Miller
Miller is the kind of big-play back that could really enhance the Denver offense. He’s a guy who can press the edge, be electric in space and take a lot of pressure off QB Tim Tebow from having to consistently run the football.

ICONMiller is a potential big-play threat for the Broncos offense.

26. Houston Texans: Baylor WR Kendall Wright
Wright might be the draft’s top vertical threat and has the ability to open up a lot of options for the Texans offense down the field. Plus, he now could fall late into round one due to his lacking 40-time at the NFL Combine.

27. New England Patriots: South Carolina CB Stephon Gilmore
Getting a tall, physical defensive back who displays a natural feel in zone and can go get the football makes some sense for the Patriots at the back end of round one.

28. Green Bay Packers: Southern Cal DE/OLB Nick Perry
Finding a guy who can create pressure off the edge opposite Clay Matthews is a must. Perry has an explosive first step, is learning to use his hands to disengage and could end up being becoming of the better sack artists to come out of this year’s class.

29. Baltimore Ravens: Boston College ILB Luke Kuechly
A tackling machine with good size, natural instincts and above-average athleticism. Is the kind of talent the Ravens could use inside as an eventual replacement for Ray Lewis.

30. San Francisco 49ers: Stanford TE Coby Fleener
The 49ers need to add talent to the passing game, but if there isn’t a receiver on the board worthy of the pick, don’t be shocked to see them look at Fleener. Head coach Jim Harbaugh loves to run multiple tight end packages and Fleener has the ability to create a ton of mismatches in the pass game on all levels of the field.

31. New England Patriots: Illinois DE Whitney Mercilus
Age is creeping up on the Patriots at the defensive end position and Mercilus has worked out well all postseason and is a versatile 43 DE or 34 OLB prospect.

32. New York Giants: Nebraska CB Alfonzo Dennard
With free agency about to hit the Giants secondary hard, adding a versatile corner in Dennard who has the ability to play press man and line up both inside and out is a good value at the end of round one.

Last edited by thelomasbrowns on March 9th, 2012, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 7th, 2012, 12:48 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I like it. Jonathan Martin at 23. I am convinced that the Bears are going after Mario Williams in FA. Peppers and Williams? We need to strengthen our OL. I also hope we re-sign Backus for 3 years.

March 9th, 2012, 8:11 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Latest Walter Football (3/7), Lions picks only:

Quote:
1st
Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
Dre Kirkpatrick was acquitted of all marijuana charges, but he reportedly hurt himself during the Combine interviews. He could fall on Draft Day.
I can't see him making it past the Lions though. The cornerback position has been such a huge need for them for years.
Pick change; previously Mark Barron, SS

2nd
Mychal Kendricks, ILB, California
Mychal Kendricks, the reigning Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year, proved scouts wrong by showing off his unbelievable athleticism at the Combine. He's now a second-round prospect, and he happens to be the top player available who makes sense for Detroit.
Kendricks fills a need because it appears as though Stephen Tulloch won't be retained. The Lions will need to continue to bolster their back seven.

3rd
Isaiah Pead, RB, Cincinnati
The Lions have spent first- and second-round picks on running backs in the past two years, so it's hard to believe that this position is a dire need for them. Members of the Detroit organization are concerned that Jahvid Best may never be able to play football again because of his concussion issues. Meanwhile, Mikel Leshoure is coming off a torn Achilles, so he won't be ready to play fully until 2013.

4th
Andrew Datko, OT, Florida State
The Lions have needed left tackle help for years. They'll now be forced into making a move for one because Jeff Backus will be a free agent in March.

5th
Malik Jackson, DE, Tennessee
The Lions will be franchising Cliff Avril. They'll need some insurance just in case they can't keep him beyond 2012.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012.php

March 9th, 2012, 9:51 am
RIP Killer

Latest Lions picks from Draft Tek:
R1. CB Janoris Jenkins
R2. OT Mitchell Schwartz
R3. OG Brandon Brooks
R4. OC Mike Brewster
R5. DE Shea McLellin
R7a. OT Matt Reynolds
R7b. LB Josh Kaddu

This is perhaps one of the worst projections I've seen. Jenkins in round one is OK, but I don't like the Schwartz pick in round two. Brooks would be a great pick in round three, but the rest are pure garbage. No safety or running back taken. I don't mind taking a bunch of offensive line prospects, but at least make them worthwhile. Brewster I want NOTHING to do with. He was getting OWNED by the second stringers at the Senior Bowl, and did nothing at the Combines to convince me that his poor showing during the Senior Bowl practices was a fluke. Shea McLellin won't be available in round five, as his Combine performance pushed him up the draft boards on some teams. They all knew he was a good football player, but had concerns about his athletic skill. He put that question to rest, in a big way.

March 9th, 2012, 10:37 am
RIP Killer

Draft Tek mock - March 15th
Lions select:
R1 - CB Janoris Jenkins, N. Alabama
R2 - OT Zebrie Sanders, Fla St.
R3 - OC Philip Blake, Baylor
R4 - FS Trenton Robinson, Mich. St.
R5 - LB Tyler Nielsen, Iowa
R7 - DE Julian Miller, Virginia
R7 - OT James Carmon, Miss. St.

Not really spectacular, but better than their last effort.

March 15th, 2012, 12:52 pm
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
Lions select:

What is with draft tek? Why do they insist on drafting 2 OT's for us?

March 16th, 2012, 9:10 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Lions select:

Probably because our offensive tackle situation is pretty bad.
LT - our starter is a free agent, and his backup can't stay healthy

RT - our starter is inconsistent and dumber than a box of rocks

Based on those two facts, can you fault them?

March 16th, 2012, 12:01 pm

m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Lions select:

Probably because our offensive tackle situation is pretty bad.
LT - our starter is a free agent, and his backup can't stay healthy

RT - our starter is inconsistent and dumber than a box of rocks

Based on those two facts, can you fault them?

+1

March 17th, 2012, 1:23 am
RIP Killer

Draft Tek mock - March 19th
Lions select:
R2 - OT Mitchell Schwartz, California
R3 - FS Trumaine Johnson, Montana
R4 - OT Marcel Jones, Nebraska
R5 - LB Nigel Bradham, Florida State
R7 - DE Jamie Blatnick, Oklahoma State
R7 - LB Chris Galippo, USC

Can't say that this effort thrills me, but I like the Trumaine Johnson pick in round three. No RBs, no OGs or OC? Hmmm....

March 20th, 2012, 10:51 am
Bubbles the Lion

Who was the guy that did the mock draft last year that was rediculously close? Goose maybe?

I don't remember exactly, but he had Prince to the Giants, that DE to the 49ers in the top 10, and even Fairley dropping out of the top 10.

He is the only one I saw last year that was anywhere close to correct. I can't wait to look at his for this year.

March 20th, 2012, 11:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next