View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 2:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 1st Round Pick 

Who do you like?
Janoris Jenkins-CB 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Nick Perry-DE 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Luke Kuechly-LB 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Cordy Glenn-G/T 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
Peter Konz-C/G 39%  39%  [ 13 ]
Mike Adams-T 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mark Barron-S 30%  30%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 33

1st Round Pick 
Team MVP

Post Re: 1st Round Pick
Killwill25 wrote:
After the combine, I am a believer in Kuechly but what are the odds that he falls in our lap?

Id say odds are low, real low. And I have to say, and I cant remember which thread it was, but I was saying I wouldnt be a fan of drafting him. Well, I saw a bunch more footage of him playing and really changed my mind about him. Dont know what it was before, but what it is now I do like. And though he may be talked about as undersized, he sure doesnt look like it the more I see him. Id be happy to have him as a Lion.

But with that said, i see no way he makes it past Philadelphia. (Then again, would we have guessed Nick Fairley would make it to us at 13?)

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 28th, 2012, 9:08 pm
RIP Killer

I'm watching bama pro day, and Mark Barron isooking pretty darn good. Smooth back pedal and good change of direction skills.

March 29th, 2012, 12:12 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
I'm watching bama pro day, and Mark Barron isooking pretty darn good. Smooth back pedal and good change of direction skills.

Shoot, glad you mentioned that, I didnt realize it was on TV. Thanks.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

March 29th, 2012, 12:18 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Just doing the math, by my reckoning the Lions could be looking at slim pickens when #23 rolls around. With a premium being placed on LT prospects and CB prospects, by the time our # comes up we may not have much left to choose from in regards to an impact player. Assuming these guys are already gone (list follows) which way do we go at with what's left 23?

Andrew Luck QB Stanford
Robert Griffin QB Baylor
Matt Kalil OT Southern California
Morris Claiborne CB LSU
Trent Richardson RB Alabama
Justin Blackmon WR Oklahoma State
Quinton Coples DE North Carolina
Dontari Poe NT Memphis
Luke Kuechly ILB Boston College
Michael Brockers DT LSU
David DeCastro OG Stanford
Fletcher Cox DT Mississippi State
Melvin Ingram DE South Carolina
Riley Reiff OT Iowa
Michael Floyd WR Notre Dame
Stephon Gilmore CB South Carolina
Cordy Glenn G/T Georgia
Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama
Jonathan Martin OT Stanford
Ryan Tannehill QB Texas A&M
Janoris Jenkins CB North Alabama
Mark Barron SS Alabama
Mike Adams OT Ohio State
Whitney Mercilus DE Illinois
Devon Still DT Penn State

These may or may not be the top 25, and not necessarily in this order, depends on what board your looking at. The point being if there's a run on CB's, and the top 4 are gone, as well as the top safety, and assuming Castro and Glenn have been taken, as well as the top tackles. What do you see left for the Lions? Do we go DE by default? Hope for a trade back? Just thinking out loud.

April 1st, 2012, 6:48 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

if we drafted more D-line help in 1st round I will puke!!!!!!!!!!!

April 1st, 2012, 7:22 pm
Team MVP

liontrax wrote:
Just doing the math, by my reckoning the Lions could be looking at slim pickens when #23 rolls around. With a premium being placed on LT prospects and CB prospects, by the time our # comes up we may not have much left to choose from in regards to an impact player. Assuming these guys are already gone (list follows) which way do we go at with what's left 23?

Andrew Luck QB Stanford
Robert Griffin QB Baylor
Matt Kalil OT Southern California
Morris Claiborne CB LSU
Trent Richardson RB Alabama
Justin Blackmon WR Oklahoma State
Quinton Coples DE North Carolina
Dontari Poe NT Memphis
Luke Kuechly ILB Boston College
Michael Brockers DT LSU
David DeCastro OG Stanford
Fletcher Cox DT Mississippi State
Melvin Ingram DE South Carolina
Riley Reiff OT Iowa
Michael Floyd WR Notre Dame
Stephon Gilmore CB South Carolina
Cordy Glenn G/T Georgia
Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama
Jonathan Martin OT Stanford
Ryan Tannehill QB Texas A&M
Janoris Jenkins CB North Alabama
Mark Barron SS Alabama
Mike Adams OT Ohio State
Whitney Mercilus DE Illinois
Devon Still DT Penn State

These may or may not be the top 25, and not necessarily in this order, depends on what board your looking at. The point being if there's a run on CB's, and the top 4 are gone, as well as the top safety, and assuming Castro and Glenn have been taken, as well as the top tackles. What do you see left for the Lions? Do we go DE by default? Hope for a trade back? Just thinking out loud.

Simple. The best available player.

With that said, I firmly believe that one, if not SEVERAL of those players listed will be available at 23. Not to mention, who you DONT have listed is Konz, Lamar Miller, Nick Perry....all who very well could picked before us.

I completely understand what you're saying, but honestly I think we will be ok alright.

April 1st, 2012, 7:35 pm
Pop Warner Vet

It seems Janoris Jenkins secretly went to Detroit for a workout, then took turns hanging out with Leshoure and Fairly!

April 4th, 2012, 3:57 pm
RIP Killer

freep wrote:
Detroit Lions host Illinois DE Whitney Mercilus, a projected first-round pick

The Detroit Lions didn’t hesitate to pull the trigger when one-year wonder Nick Fairley fell to them with the 13th pick in last year’s draft. If things break right, they could take a flash of a pass rusher again.

The Lions hosted Illinois defensive end Whitney Mercilus on a pre-draft visit Monday. A projected first-round pick, Mercilus came out of nowhere to lead the nation with 16 sacks last year after recording one in each of his first two seasons.

He shrugged off the one-year wonder label at the NFL combine in February.

“I just was able to put everything together,” Mercilus said. “I was still learning the game as a redshirt sophomore and a redshirt freshman. Just last year, studying myself more, seeing what I do best and just put it all together for the 2011 season. I broke out that season."

The Lions return all nine contributors from a defensive line that accounted for 35 of their 41 sacks last year, but have several questions at the position long term.

Cliff Avril, who led the team with 11 sacks and six forced fumbles, has not signed his one-year franchise tender and could be a free agent again next season. Kyle Vanden Bosch, coming off an eight-sack season, turns 34 this fall and is two years removed from neck surgery. And backup Lawrence Jackson is entering the final year of his rookie contract.

Mercilus is similar to Avril in both body type and production. Both players stand about 6-foot-3 and weigh about 260 pounds, and both have a penchant for forcing turnovers.

Along with his 16 sacks, Mercilus led the NCAA with nine forced fumbles last year. Avril finished second in the NFL with six.

“I just have a knack for it,” Mercilus said. “I just time it up right. Throughout the game I was able to watch the quarterback’s movements and just see him open up and then I just go in there and just knock it away as soon as I could.”

Mercilus said he was given a third-round grade by the NFL’s draft advisory board, but his stock is much higher both because of his pass-rushing prowess and versatility. He can play either 4-3 defensive end or 3-4 outside linebacker.

Several recent mock drafts, including those by Russ Lande of Sporting News and ESPN’s Todd McShay, project the Lions to select Mercilus in the first round.

April 11th, 2012, 2:04 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

anybody want them to take mercilus? im not a big fan

April 11th, 2012, 7:34 pm
Team MVP

The Legend wrote:
anybody want them to take mercilus? im not a big fan

I would be OK with it, but deep down I don't see him being the pick.

April 11th, 2012, 9:27 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I support most of there selections. If they feel he's BPA, so be it. But, I just don't buy it. Think it's smoke.

April 12th, 2012, 6:03 am
Hall of Fame Player

The Detroit News wrote:
April 12, 2012 at 1:00 am

Lions can upgrade at cornerback via the draft, expert says
By Chris McCosky
The Detroit News

Nolan Nawrocki, senior editor of Pro Football Weekly, thinks Alabama cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick will be available when the Lions draft at No. 23. (Getty Images)

Allen Park— Nolan Nawrocki, senior editor of Pro Football Weekly, has earned a reputation for his unvarnished, pull-no-punches approach to evaluating talent leading up the NFL draft.

During a national teleconference Wednesday, he left little doubt as to what he thinks the Lions should do with the 23rd pick.

"Cornerback has been one of their great deficiencies the last couple of years," he said. "I am not a Chris Houston fan. He's not strong off the ball and he gets torched downfield. I don't see a quality cornerback on their roster, to be honest.

"That's a position they need to address, early and often."

General manager Martin Mayhew doesn't share Nawrocki's opinion of Houston — though he wouldn't give him more than a two-year deal last offseason — but he and coach Jim Schwartz recognize the need to upgrade the position.

The question is, will they find that player with the 23rd pick?

Nawrocki believes they will. He thinks either Alabama's Dre Kirkpatrick or South Carolina's Stephon Gilmore could be there at 23. He has concerns with both but seems to prefer Kirkpatrick.

"The Lions like to take physical, press corners and that's what Kirkpatick does best," Nawrocki said. "You worry about whether he can stay healthy because he had a hard time in college. And there are character concerns.

"He's one of those guys who could fall into that bust category — not because of the talent, because he is very talented, but more so because you just don't know what you're getting. Are you going to be able to control him? Is he going to stay in line and be disciplined enough to follow what the coaches want him to do?"

Kirkpatrick apparently came off as extremely cocky in his interviews with teams. That probably wasn't a shock since his nickname growing up was "Swagga." He also has short arms and a tendency to cheat and jump scheme to try to make a big play. (See Alphonso Smith vs. Patriots in 2010.)

Still, he is 6 foot 2 and 190 pounds, and plays with the kind of fearlessness and aggression defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham likes.

Nawrocki has more tangible concerns about Gilmore.

"He also fits the approach that Gunther Cunningham likes; he's got the size (6-0, 190), but I have some concerns about his instincts and ball skills and hands," Nawrocki said.

He pointed to a situation that happened at the combine. Gilmore had a chance to win the defensive backs competition for his group at the end of the session and got beat, forcing his group to do pushups.

"You see the same kind of thing on tape, in terms of him getting beat (in key situations)," Nawrocki said. "Go back to the SEC championship game against Auburn, Cam Newton was able to pick him apart. … There were other games earlier in the year that he struggled against lesser competition. So there are concerns about where he is at this stage of his development."

Still, Nawrocki thinks Gilmore will be drafted in the top 25, which he said is a theme of this year's draft — players getting over-drafted.

"I have talked to a lot of teams, lot of GMs and they are saying there is more buzz this year than ever," he said. "Teams are going to over-draft for need and for hype."

Nawrocki said presently he has only given 21 players first-round grades. Two players he believes have been over-hyped are Oklahoma State receiver Justin Blackmon and Stanford left tackle Jonathan Martin, who has been on the Lions radar.

"I have given Blackmon mostly second-round grades," he said. "His speed is a concern. He's not physical and he's not a blazer. He might work as an underneath guy, but there are concerns about his off-the-field habits, as well."

Nawrocki said that among the red flags Blackmon has thrown up are his refusal to work out at the combine, poor team interviews, and he rubbed some teams the wrong way when he didn't fly home with his team after their bowl loss. He flew to Las Vegas instead.

As for Martin: "I don't think he has left tackle feet or right tackle power," he said. "I look at him as a fourth-round-type project, but he's getting looks in the second round and possible late in the first. He will be considerably over-drafted."

Nawrocki believes Martin would need at least one "redshirt" year in the NFL and would have to commit to a strength program.

"There is a chance if he was forced into action too soon, a player like Matt Stafford could end up on IR again," he said. "He'd be a risky pick that early."

While Martin may not be the right guy, Nawrocki thinks the Lions do need to draft a left tackle in the upper rounds.

"Jeff Backus has the shortest arms in the NFL and he's starting to show his age," Nawrocki said. "They need to start looking for an improvement (at left tackle) and maybe move Backus inside."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2012 ... z1row1ysfA

I'm expecting Mayhew to select the very best player available with the 23rd pick. I'm hoping that's an OL or DB (who's not Jenkins) and it very likely could be.

April 12th, 2012, 6:36 am
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

I don't why but I have been looking at Jenkins as a Randy Moss type. Comes in with alot bravado that no one cares too hear and then sets the league on fire.

Not saying he will but every year some guy with a big mouth and questionable character comes out and walks the walk. Maybe it's Detroit's turn to scrape away some dirt and find a diamond.

April 12th, 2012, 1:53 pm
Team MVP

Boz wrote:
I don't why but I have been looking at Jenkins as a Randy Moss type. Comes in with alot bravado that no one cares too hear and then sets the league on fire.

Not saying he will but every year some guy with a big mouth and questionable character comes out and walks the walk. Maybe it's Detroit's turn to scrape away some dirt and find a diamond.

I agree. I really think Jenkins will be ok as far as character issues go. And I think if he came to Detroit, he would be a solid contributor.

April 12th, 2012, 3:18 pm
Team MVP

I just had to change my vote once again, and this time its back to Mark Barron. Its going to be tough to tell if he'll be available at 23, but if he is it would be very hard to argue that hes the BPA, of course depending on who else is there.

I had Peter Konz as my vote, which i would still support 100% if he was the pick, but I think if this team REALLY wants to make a strong push THIS year, that SS position has got to be upgraded.

April 12th, 2012, 3:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next