View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 4:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 1st Round Fears? 
Team MVP

Post Re: 1st Round Fears?
Actually let me chime in one more time..

My fear is that the Lions trade back into the second round. Because I have to MISS IT TOMORROW.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 26th, 2012, 7:35 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Every year, my initial reaction to our first rd picks has been WTF? only to be feel really good about the pick an hour later.

Pett- we just went 0-16 and now you want a TE in the 1st?!?! glad we did it now
Fairley- needed CBs and Amukamara was very popular on these boards. Glad we did it now
Best- Glad we kept him away from MN. I loved this pick but did'nt love trading up
and now Rieff- I had a huge mancrush on Dre but now I'm glad we held on to our picks and he already looks like a pro, Iowa breeds some nice lineman. just watched his game vs Oklahoma. He really bullied their DL plus he plays through the whistle(which is a pre-requisit for our boys)

But Please for the love of God, give us some DBs to get excited about

April 27th, 2012, 4:54 am
Hall of Fame Player

Killwill25 wrote:
Every year, my initial reaction to our first rd picks has been WTF? only to be feel really good about the pick an hour later.

Pett- we just went 0-16 and now you want a TE in the 1st?!?! glad we did it now
Fairley- needed CBs and Amukamara was very popular on these boards. Glad we did it now
Best- Glad we kept him away from MN. I loved this pick but did'nt love trading up
and now Rieff- I had a huge mancrush on Dre but now I'm glad we held on to our picks and he already looks like a pro, Iowa breeds some nice lineman. just watched his game vs Oklahoma. He really bullied their DL plus he plays through the whistle(which is a pre-requisit for our boys)

But Please for the love of God, give us some DBs to get excited about

What he said :!:

I am ok with Reiff. I really didn't want any O-line in the 1st round this year unless somehow we could get Kalil. Which wasn't going to happen in anyone's wildest dream.
I believe next years crop of O-line will be far superior to this years crop in both quantity and quality. I was more than willing to wait until next year. So, now, we are looking at the likeliness of us drafting an OT in the 1st round 2 years in a row. For the love of GOD, why do we always seem to draft in pairs? 3 WR's in a row. 2 RB's in a row. 2 DT's in a row. Etc.

I think Jenkins was the guy that would have helped us the most out of everyone that was left. He is still there and I hope we trade up high enough to get him. I think he has learned his lessons and will have a probowl career. If we can't get him, I don't see another CB or Safety, that can help prevent the last 2 games from last season happening again.

April 27th, 2012, 10:22 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
I think Jenkins was the guy that would have helped us the most out of everyone that was left. He is still there and I hope we trade up high enough to get him. I think he has learned his lessons and will have a probowl career. If we can't get him, I don't see another CB or Safety, that can help prevent the last 2 games from last season happening again.

According to NFL.com, multiple teams are looking to move up to grab Janoris Jenkins. I am wondering if the Lions are among them. I think he goes in the next six picks, which belong to Rams, Colts, Ravens, Broncos, Browns, Jaguars in that order. I could see ANY of those teams taking Jenkins, in particular the Broncos. They traded down twice, thinking the guy they wanted at 25 would still be there later. They might be thinking Worthy or Still, since their needs at DT are pretty big. But they could also be targeting Jenkins.

I think for Detroit to move into a position at the top of round two, they'd have to give up their third rounder plus possibly a seventh rounder.

And there are still good corners and safeties left that can help. You can't sit there and tell me you don't see any other safeties available that aren't better than Spievey. Gimme a break. I can name five that would be an IMMEDIATE improvement over him:

Trumaine Johnson
Markelle Martin
George Iloka
Antonio Allen
Brandon Taylor

And I think Janzen Jackson would be an upgrade as well.

April 27th, 2012, 10:28 am
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:

According to NFL.com, multiple teams are looking to move up to grab Janoris Jenkins. I am wondering if the Lions are among them. I think he goes in the next six picks, which belong to Rams, Colts, Ravens, Broncos, Browns, Jaguars in that order. I could see ANY of those teams taking Jenkins, in particular the Broncos. They traded down twice, thinking the guy they wanted at 25 would still be there later. They might be thinking Worthy or Still, since their needs at DT are pretty big. But they could also be targeting Jenkins.

I think for Detroit to move into a position at the top of round two, they'd have to give up their third rounder plus possibly a seventh rounder.

I would be fine with that. We HAVE GOT TO GET A CB :!:

April 27th, 2012, 10:32 am
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:

And there are still good corners and safeties left that can help. You can't sit there and tell me you don't see any other safeties available that aren't better than Spievey. Gimme a break. I can name five that would be an IMMEDIATE improvement over him:

Trumaine Johnson
Markelle Martin
George Iloka
Antonio Allen
Brandon Taylor

And I think Janzen Jackson would be an upgrade as well.

Even if we draft a Safety, there is a good chance that Spivey still starts. With the Passing game dominating so many offenses around the league now days, teams are playing Big Nickel 50-60% of the time.

April 27th, 2012, 10:35 am

There is no way that Broyles should've gone this early.

April 27th, 2012, 9:02 pm
Team MVP

We get torched by GB and New Orleans (twice), and we go OFFENSE the first two rounds?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 27th, 2012, 9:42 pm
League MVP

again you have to look at those games and see what personnel was available. in week 11 on thanksgiving the lions essentially wrote the blueprint on how to shut down the packers offense in the first half. but in the 2nd half of that game louis delmas goes down and then eric berry, eric wright, chris houston all missed time or played with injury thereafter. and if you want to talk about defenses - our defense has more talent than that of the saints and its not even close and pretty equal to green bay's defense. they beat up on our defense - that is true - but the saints and packers have the best offenses in the league. i think part of mayhew/schwartz plan is to make our offense as multidimensional and difficult to defend as those two teams. if you can force a team's 4th corner or 3rd safety onto the field to cover legit receivers like the Saints and Packers both do you get a big advantage and its time we do that to teams. we still need a dependable runner. if the lions somehow land bobbie massie and lamar miller or robert turbin on day 3 I'll be thrilled with how this draft sets them up for the upcoming season. they wont have helped the safety position but they allegedly have a shot at a couple free agent veteran S that should be huge upgrades over Chris Harris

April 27th, 2012, 11:28 pm
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
again you have to look at those games and see what personnel was available. in week 11 on thanksgiving the lions essentially wrote the blueprint on how to shut down the packers offense in the first half. but in the 2nd half of that game louis delmas goes down and then eric berry, eric wright, chris houston all missed time or played with injury thereafter. and if you want to talk about defenses - our defense has more talent than that of the saints and its not even close and pretty equal to green bay's defense. they beat up on our defense - that is true - but the saints and packers have the best offenses in the league. i think part of mayhew/schwartz plan is to make our offense as multidimensional and difficult to defend as those two teams. if you can force a team's 4th corner or 3rd safety onto the field to cover legit receivers like the Saints and Packers both do you get a big advantage and its time we do that to teams. we still need a dependable runner. if the lions somehow land bobbie massie and lamar miller or robert turbin on day 3 I'll be thrilled with how this draft sets them up for the upcoming season. they wont have helped the safety position but they allegedly have a shot at a couple free agent veteran S that should be huge upgrades over Chris Harris

Everything you say has some merit (other than the fact that AARON Berry plays for us, not ERIC Berry...wish he did), but the Lions didn't have the 24th ranked pass defense because of two or three games in the season. Spievey needs to go, and with Delmas having missed games the past two seasons we need to get a third safety who is capable of coming in a playing the pass effectively in case one of our starters gets hurt. Wendling is OK in a pinch, but is a better run support guy and STer. Spievey simply can't be counted on, and neither can Coleman or Harris.

April 28th, 2012, 7:54 am
League MVP

Man if landing Eric Berry were only as easy as mixing his name up with Aaron Berry...Otherwise I agree with what you wrote - the Lions would be much better if they had someone better than Spievey. It doesnt appear they were confident anyone would be much better than him to this point - Harrison Smith shot up into Rd 1 and the remaining safeties are questionable. i think Trumaine Johnson will be a good safety eventually, not a corner so maybe that was the guy that we had a shot at to upgrade S. The Lions definitely need to not have Chris Harris on the roster for next season, also Im not impressed at all by Erik Coleman though we didnt see much of him. If they end up taking Antonio Allen, maybe he can beat out Spievey or be better depth than what we ve had but I am not convinced. The others I really dont like, Iloka is a good athlete but he looks like he s playing the wrong position - I like him but just dont have a good feeling that he will be a good NFL safety. Maybe he can create a new in the box position hybrid S/OLB to cover some of the TEs in the league and help in run support, I dunno, but I think a team would have to be creative with him. I dont think he can prevent a Jordy Nelson or take ur pick of Saints torch fest and would have to be used situationally. Now if we are going to improve the secondary in this draft, the remaining corners are better than the safeties - Boykin, Minniefied, Judie, etc. I think we can get better players at other positions besides S with whats left in the draft and you can ignore that need at S for now and still get better overall. There are some decent veterans available that should be better than Chris Harris and cover better than Wendling. It ll be interesting to see how much Spievey can continue to improve, he was a much better player with Delmas on the field next to him but consistency is a problem and he among others had some breakdowns out there. Still he flashed some potential at times that I really didnt see when he was a rookie.

April 28th, 2012, 11:28 am

The Legend wrote:
It ll be interesting to see how much Spievey can continue to improve, he was a much better player with Delmas on the field next to him but consistency is a problem and he among others had some breakdowns out there. Still he flashed some potential at times that I really didnt see when he was a rookie.

On SPievey - as he was my "Adopt a Lion" player last year, he started very strong. It may have been the levelof competition, or playing with confidence and Delmas next to him as you say, but 4 games into the year he had very good tackles, some forced fumbles, etc. He was making some plays and showing flashes, to the point i almost was gloating ont he forums. THen it was like he forgot how to play and regressed for the next 12 games straight. Maybe it was loss of confidence, better competition, or the injuries toother DBs, but I was very diassapointed by the end of the season and stopped tracking his stats.

This is his make it or break it year. Play like games 1-4 last year all this year, and he is a starting safety for us. Play like games 5-17, and he will just be a 3rd/4th S or 5th CB (in a pinch) but never a starter in this league.

Step up Spievey.

April 28th, 2012, 12:51 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Heisman Winner

DJ-B wrote:
The Legend wrote:
It ll be interesting to see how much Spievey can continue to improve, he was a much better player with Delmas on the field next to him but consistency is a problem and he among others had some breakdowns out there. Still he flashed some potential at times that I really didnt see when he was a rookie.

On SPievey - as he was my "Adopt a Lion" player last year, he started very strong. It may have been the levelof competition, or playing with confidence and Delmas next to him as you say, but 4 games into the year he had very good tackles, some forced fumbles, etc. He was making some plays and showing flashes, to the point i almost was gloating ont he forums. THen it was like he forgot how to play and regressed for the next 12 games straight. Maybe it was loss of confidence, better competition, or the injuries toother DBs, but I was very diassapointed by the end of the season and stopped tracking his stats.

This is his make it or break it year. Play like games 1-4 last year all this year, and he is a starting safety for us. Play like games 5-17, and he will just be a 3rd/4th S or 5th CB (in a pinch) but never a starter in this league.

Step up Spievey.

There are some things to like about Spievey, most notably the fact that he can tackle when he's in position. He's working into year 3 I think, so perhaps we haven't seen his best games yet. Time will tell. I agree with you that this is a big year for him.

April 30th, 2012, 9:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2