View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 8:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Biggest Need next year? 
Butkus Award Winner

Post Re: Biggest Need next year?
Guys, think about this. We'll likely lose both of our remaining games. If the Eagles or Raiders win one of their four combined remaining games and the Lions lose both of theirs we will have a top 4 pick. We're talking about a complete gamebreaker with a pick like that. I pray we don't mess it up.

December 17th, 2012, 10:59 pm
Team MVP

Shotty wrote:
Guys, think about this. We'll likely lose both of our remaining games. If the Eagles or Raiders win one of their four combined remaining games and the Lions lose both of theirs we will have a top 4 pick. We're talking about a complete gamebreaker with a pick like that. I pray we don't mess it up.

Well, obviously hoping theyll pull a win out of their hats, even though the win will mean absolutely NOTHING, if we lose both we are guaranteed top 6. The Titans are winning 7-3 right now, if they win we will be at #5.

At #5, without a trade down, and depending on how the combine/senior bowl/pro days etc turn out, Im thinking its gonna be in no particular order Geno Smith, Star Lotulelei, Luke Joeckel. Remaining should be Manti Te'o, Bjoern Werner (who i want), Jarvis Jones (could he be effective as a 4-3 backer?) ..

Without a trade down, we should end up with a playmaker/game changer. But will it matter with the current coaching staff and schemes we have? I dont have the answer for that.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 17th, 2012, 11:18 pm
Butkus Award Winner

kdsberman wrote:
Shotty wrote:

Well, obviously hoping theyll pull a win out of their hats, even though the win will mean absolutely NOTHING, if we lose both we are guaranteed top 6. The Titans are winning 7-3 right now, if they win we will be at #5.

At #5, without a trade down, and depending on how the combine/senior bowl/pro days etc turn out, Im thinking its gonna be in no particular order Geno Smith, Star Lotulelei, Luke Joeckel. Remaining should be Manti Te'o, Bjoern Werner (who i want), Jarvis Jones (could he be effective as a 4-3 backer?) ..

Without a trade down, we should end up with a playmaker/game changer. But will it matter with the current coaching staff and schemes we have? I dont have the answer for that.

You can basically say top five since Geno Smith will be gone by the time we pick. Think about what other teams have done with picks like we'll have. Aldon Smith and Von Miller, for example.

December 17th, 2012, 11:47 pm
Team MVP

Shotty wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Shotty wrote:

You can basically say top five since Geno Smith will be gone by the time we pick. Think about what other teams have done with picks like we'll have. Aldon Smith and Von Miller, for example.

TRUE. But lets say Von Miller or Aldon Smith got drafted by the Lions. Would they be as effective with our defense as they are with Denver/San Fran? I understand what you are saying, but I think a lot of it has to do with what a player is drafted to be used as.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 18th, 2012, 12:02 am
RIP Killer

No, because smith would be at de and would have to run 15 yards to get around the LT because he's lined up so damn far outside.

Miller would be stuck at MLB in a 4-3 and be nowhere near the playmaker he is now.

December 19th, 2012, 12:21 pm
You guys are going to hate this, but if Luke Joeckel grades out, and looks to be a legitimate top LT, he should be our first round pick if he's available. Our OL is in shambles, Reiff hasn't been able to take over for Backus, even though Backus suffered a pretty good injury. That's pathetic. Further, he struggled in the preseason AND when he's played LT. The only time he's looked good is taking on blockers as an extra TE, and that's pretty sad.

Further, while Reiff seems to struggle at LT, he's more or less a prototypical RT and we need one of those too! Drafting a LT wouldn't be "giving up on" Reiff, it would just be moving him to the RT spot.

Our offensive line is a joke, and it has been for a decade, which is why we've sucked for a decade...

December 19th, 2012, 12:38 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
You guys are going to hate this, but if Luke Joeckel grades out, and looks to be a legitimate top LT, he should be our first round pick if he's available. Our OL is in shambles, Reiff hasn't been able to take over for Backus, even though Backus suffered a pretty good injury. That's pathetic. Further, he struggled in the preseason AND when he's played LT. The only time he's looked good is taking on blockers as an extra TE, and that's pretty sad.

Further, while Reiff seems to struggle at LT, he's more or less a prototypical RT and we need one of those too! Drafting a LT wouldn't be "giving up on" Reiff, it would just be moving him to the RT spot.

Our offensive line is a joke, and it has been for a decade, which is why we've sucked for a decade...

LT is a premier position in the NFL and the Lions will have a premier pick in the draft. I think it would be hard to pass on Joeckel who would be responsible for protecting our franchise. I also see Reiff as a better fit at RT from what I've seen of him. I'd have no problem with this pick if Joeckel does grade out well through the rest of the draft process.

December 19th, 2012, 1:14 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Pablo wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

LT is a premier position in the NFL and the Lions will have a premier pick in the draft. I think it would be hard to pass on Joeckel who would be responsible for protecting our franchise. I also see Reiff as a better fit at RT from what I've seen of him. I'd have no problem with this pick if Joeckel does grade out well through the rest of the draft process.

Agreed

December 19th, 2012, 5:34 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
QB Coach

As much as I want a corner or possibly a de that high, if he's going to be the next best thing at LT then I'd be ok taking him. That would allow us to let Gosder leave as a FA and move Reiff over to RT. Solidifying 2 spots. And maybe Backus would "retire" rather than being cut and that'd save us some cap space too right?

December 19th, 2012, 5:54 pm
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
As much as I want a corner or possibly a de that high, if he's going to be the next best thing at LT then I'd be ok taking him. That would allow us to let Gosder leave as a FA and move Reiff over to RT. Solidifying 2 spots. And maybe Backus would "retire" rather than being cut and that'd save us some cap space too right?

Doesn't save any cap space if Backus retires.

December 19th, 2012, 5:55 pm
QB Coach

wjb21ndtown wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

Doesn't save any cap space if Backus retires.

Ok thanks for the info, I wasn't sure on that. I know next year is the last on his 2 year contract so what would we save by cutting him?

My first option if we get a top 5 pick is to trade down and get an additional 2nd or 3rd and replace our 4th that we traded to the Vikings. We have so many spots to fill and no cap space to use, so we need to utilize the draft. Baring a trade down Milliner, Werner or Joeckel not necessarily in that order.

December 19th, 2012, 6:00 pm
Depends... He has a $4.9 million dollar "misc. bonus" on his contract, I don't know if it's "guaranteed" or not. He did us a HUGE favor playing for us this year at $2.35 million dollars, taking a $5 million per year paycut, and as a FA he could have likely gotten much, much more elsewhere. That said, I'm guessing that Martin Mayhew's "shrewdness" (he's done a LOT of dumb stuff, and his "bargain players" have turned out to be colossal busts) and Jeff Backus' loyalty isn't what you guys thought it was, and that the $4.9 million is going to end up being guaranteed. If that is true it would cost us $5.65 million (what he's due in bonus money) minus his salary $2.25 million to release him ($3.4 million).

That said, if we KEEP him he'll get the full $5.65 million, PLUS his $2.25 million salary, and he'll be playing his final season for $7.9 million dollars.

So his cap hit will likely either be $3.4 million (without him), or $7.9 million (with him).

That's all predicated on his "misc. bonus" being guaranteed, but I can't see it not being guaranteed.

As "shrewed" as you guys think Mayhew has been, he's really screwed us more than he's helped us. He killed us this year with Nate's contract, looks like he killed us next year with Backus' contract.

December 19th, 2012, 7:27 pm
Hall of Fame Player

DJ-B wrote:
Pablo wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Agreed

I absolutely hate the idea of drafting another OT in the 1st round this year. But, I already set my expectations that we would as soon as we drafted Reiff last year. We just tend to do things in twos.

I can, however, see a possible way to draft an OT, CB, and Safety in the 1st two rounds. We would need to trade down a couple spots to get the ammo to be able to swing a couple of other trade ups though. But, I would be about as happy as I could be if we did it.

December 20th, 2012, 12:50 am
League MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:

i dont think its a bad idea, but they are also going to be pretty desperate for a DE. as for the OL, I think Reiff should be playing somewhere right now be it on the right or left rather than as a blocking H back. Still, even if they drafted Joeckel - they ve really only upgraded the best part of there OL, and still leave some problem areas inside. If they do take Joeckel I d like a corresponding move at RG and an even bigger one at RB. Lets make this a real offense, give Stafford a run game and a lil less predictability as to when he s throwing and he may have a fighting chance. i heard someone on the radio say that the lions certainly have the "firepower" to keep up with atlanta, wasnt sure if they were including the RBs, Kris Durham, Robiskie, Thomas and Logan as part of that group...

December 20th, 2012, 12:25 pm
Butkus Award Winner

The Legend wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

i dont think its a bad idea, but they are also going to be pretty desperate for a DE. as for the OL, I think Reiff should be playing somewhere right now be it on the right or left rather than as a blocking H back. Still, even if they drafted Joeckel - they ve really only upgraded the best part of there OL, and still leave some problem areas inside. If they do take Joeckel I d like a corresponding move at RG and an even bigger one at RB. Lets make this a real offense, give Stafford a run game and a lil less predictability as to when he s throwing and he may have a fighting chance. i heard someone on the radio say that the lions certainly have the "firepower" to keep up with atlanta, wasnt sure if they were including the RBs, Kris Durham, Robiskie, Thomas and Logan as part of that group...

Just read that DeMontre Moore hinted towards entering the draft! Other than Joeckel, that's one guy I also would be perfectly fine with taking! 3-4 DE is exactly the missing piece we'd have if we made the move...

DE: Suh
DT: Fairley
DE: Moore
SLB: Avril
MLB: Tulloch
MLB: Durant
WLB: Levy
CBs: Houston & Bentley
FS: Eric Reid
SS: Delmas

Much improved front 7 IMHO. SLH and/or Williams backing up Fairley, and our batch of young LBs filling in everywhere else. But if this whole 3-4 change is just a dream, I don't think anyone on the board will fit our defense + be worth that high of a pick.

December 20th, 2012, 2:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next