View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 22nd, 2014, 5:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Pre-2013 NFL Draft: The Detroit Lions select Eric Reid, S 
Team MVP

Post Re: Pre-2013 NFL Draft: The Detroit Lions select Eric Reid,
Every year we go offense offense offense. Yet every year we still suck. Yet some are still saying we need to go offense? I dont get it.
Theres the argument of "If we pick a few defensive players, our D still wont be good, but we can have a great offense if we pick offense". Okay. Understood I suppose. BUT, at what point is our defense going to be neglected so badly that our defense keeps single handedly losing us games??

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 4th, 2013, 9:13 pm
kdsberman wrote:
Every year we go offense offense offense. Yet every year we still suck. Yet some are still saying we need to go offense? I dont get it.
Theres the argument of "If we pick a few defensive players, our D still wont be good, but we can have a great offense if we pick offense". Okay. Understood I suppose. BUT, at what point is our defense going to be neglected so badly that our defense keeps single handedly losing us games??

Really every year? Like last year when we selected two CBs a DE and a LB? Or the year before when we took a DT in first round, or the year before that when we took a DT in the first round. Where's your head?

We've never fixed the offense ever, and we've never consistently drafted offense, ever.

January 4th, 2013, 9:34 pm
Veteran General Manager

wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Yeah!!!! Let's fix 1 side of the ball. And ignore the other. So we will lose games 45 -42 instead of 27-24. Simple fact is, the Lions have spent entirely too many 1st round picks doing exactly what you are suggesting. If our DB's had even been league average, our 4-12 record would have been more like 11-5 this year.

No Billy, our D is good enough to keep us in games, and it will be better if they 1) play with some confidence that our offense is going to score some points, and 2) if they're not on the field as much. You want your offense on the field the last drive closing the game out, not your D. Our offense can't help the D and it sticks the D out there repeatedly, tired and beat up, and counts on them to close out the game. That's a poor strategy.

How many times did you see our D play uninspired football? How many times did they look lethargic out there? Wonna know why? No faith in the offense to keep them off of the field, and no faith in the offense to score points. Our offense has to go 3 and out as much as the bottom 1/3 of teams in the NFL. I don't know if it is a kept stat, but it KILLS our defense and NEEDS to improve for us to get better, period. Screw the D, fix the O. The O is much closer to being "right."

On what planet is 30+ points per game, lethargic? That is more than enough points to win games. And how many times did you see the Lions defense take a crap on their 1st defensive series? Too often :!: MAYBE the offense went lethargic because they knew they could not score more points than the defense could give up. That is the far more likely case.

It's not 30+ points, it's 7+ less than the opposition, constantly. We play right into their hands to close out every game, pick up garbage yards in the middle of the field, and score just enough to not win.

We can't pick up yards when we need to - lethargic. We can't pick up 3rd and shorts ever - lethargic. Our offense is flat out pathetic.

Our offense score more than enough to win games with. Our defense continuously gives up more points than it should. That is why we are losing. And it is so plain to see for anyone that cares to believe their very own eyes.

Sorry, but, since 2000, we have had 15 picks in the 1st round. 12 of them were spent on the offense. and you think we need to spend more on that side of the ball? The NFC Probowl Offense should be littered with Lions.

3. ONLY 3 first round defenders. Ernie Sims ( who nearly everyone thought we reached huge). Suh and Fairley. If we had used roughly half or even a little less than half of our 1st round picks on defense, we might be able to prevent a team beating us with a last minute drive like the Colts did to us.

January 4th, 2013, 9:46 pm
Team MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Really every year? Like last year when we selected two CBs a DE and a LB? Or the year before when we took a DT in first round, or the year before that when we took a DT in the first round. Where's your head?

We've never fixed the offense ever, and we've never consistently drafted offense, ever.

I guess I should have cleared it up, especially since I figured you'd blow up...

I meant the top 3 Rounds. I understand the Stafford pick. But Pettigrew, Titus, LeShoure, Best, Reiff, Broyles. Maybe it sticks out to me because they are skilled positions. Maybe if they were spent on OL i wouldnt be so upset.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

January 4th, 2013, 9:48 pm
Veteran General Manager

wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

We spent 12 of our last 15 First round picks on offense. I would say that that is consistently drafting offense by anyone's, but yours, standards.

January 4th, 2013, 9:48 pm
Team MVP

BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

We spent 12 of our last 15 First round picks on offense. I would say that that is consistently drafting offense by anyone's, but yours, standards.

THANK YOU.

January 4th, 2013, 9:49 pm
By most people's account you can get a good S, and good LBs in the 3rd and 4th and 5th rounds. Why consistently fail to miss on those positions is beyond me. I will also contend that you can get good OG's and OC's in those rounds too, but we never do. That said, to this time right now the OL is the more important unit, and the OL will help us win more games.

FWIW last year I wanted us to draft Kontz last year instead of Broyles, and use a 5th rounder or later on a WR like Junior Hemingway or Keyshaun Martin. We didn't do that. Now we still have a hole at OG, LT, and OC. You have to fix that. It's the most important unit on the field, bar none.

January 4th, 2013, 10:17 pm
Heisman Winner

wjb21ndtown wrote:
By most people's account you can get a good S, and good LBs in the 3rd and 4th and 5th rounds. Why consistently fail to miss on those positions is beyond me. I will also contend that you can get good OG's and OC's in those rounds too, but we never do. That said, to this time right now the OL is the more important unit, and the OL will help us win more games.

FWIW last year I wanted us to draft Kontz last year instead of Broyles, and use a 5th rounder or later on a WR like Junior Hemingway or Keyshaun Martin. We didn't do that. Now we still have a hole at OG, LT, and OC. You have to fix that. It's the most important unit on the field, bar none.

Part of the answer to your mystery here I think has something to do with a couple of factors.

First, the FO has been so obsessed with trading up for RBs and drafting WR that they are missing a number of those middle round picks to take these players with. The Lions have spent at least two draft picks (one to pick plus what they traded to move up) on these RBs: Leshoure, Best, K. Smith and K. Jones. That is 8 draft picks minimum for 4 players.

Second, the Lions just don't draft those kind of players in the first place. Since I have been watching, I am aware of two C that the Lions have drafted. Raiola and Glover. Maybe I'm missing someone, but its not like 4 more guys have been picked in that span. Maybe Mike Compton was a C coming in. I think one OG has been drafted since Hartings was picked back in the day. Ramierez was the guy in rd 4. At S, the lions picked Delmas and before that was maybe Van Malone? Every year I want some G to be picked to develop, but they never take one. They seem to like to pick OT late and see what comes up, but no G or C.

February 7th, 2013, 10:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4