View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 1:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Drafting a WR 
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Post Drafting a WR
In the Eric Reid thread, Tavon Austin was mentioned as a possible Lions' draft pick at WR. I'd like to talk about Austin first, but hopefully we can expand this thread to discuss possible WRs the Lions might target in the draft--now that we know the Lions can't depend on Titus Young.

I'm a WVU homer so here's an opinion from someone who's been watching Austin since WVU was recruiting him (me!):

Austin would be a good fit for this offense--and not just at WR. He was a RB in high school and only converted to WR at WVU because Noel Devine was getting all the carries. If you doubt his running ability, watch him vs. Oklahoma on 11/17, where he played the entire game at RB. He could do a lot of the things Jahvid Best used to do from the RB position, plus Austin's a more experienced receiver than Best. Austin doesn't have a significant injury history but he is small (only 5'9", 171 lbs).

He's not a "carry the load" RB nor does he have the size to win battles against the big DBs in the NFL if he is made a full-time WR. However, if he is moved around the field (like the Vikings do with Percy Harvin), he could be dangerous.

With that said, Austin gets frustrated easily when his routes are disrupted. And his size will be an obstacle in the NFL if he's a full-time receiver. He's also an emotional player. I don't think he's ever gotten in trouble on or off the field (not a "character" issue) but he seems to run hot or cold. The homer in me would love to see Austin in Detroit but if the Lions draft a WR in the first round, I'd prefer Terrance Williams from Baylor.

Interestingly, I think Austin's teammate Stedman Bailey might be a better NFL pro than Austin. He doesn't have Austin's speed but he is a steady player (pun intended), has great hands, and runs crisp routes. He's also a smart, reliable, hard-working player with a good attitude. He leads all FBS receivers with 20 TDs right now, which is pretty great production. He won't "flash" at the Combine, so I could see him being available in round 2-3.

November 22nd, 2012, 11:37 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Drafting a WR
mwill2 wrote:
In the Eric Reid thread, Tavon Austin was mentioned as a possible Lions' draft pick at WR. I'd like to talk about Austin first, but hopefully we can expand this thread to discuss possible WRs the Lions might target in the draft--now that we know the Lions can't depend on Titus Young.

I'm a WVU homer so here's an opinion from someone who's been watching Austin since WVU was recruiting him (me!):

Austin would be a good fit for this offense--and not just at WR. He was a RB in high school and only converted to WR at WVU because Noel Devine was getting all the carries. If you doubt his running ability, watch him vs. Oklahoma on 11/17, where he played the entire game at RB. He could do a lot of the things Jahvid Best used to do from the RB position, plus Austin's a more experienced receiver than Best. Austin doesn't have a significant injury history but he is small (only 5'9", 171 lbs).

He's not a "carry the load" RB nor does he have the size to win battles against the big DBs in the NFL if he is made a full-time WR. However, if he is moved around the field (like the Vikings do with Percy Harvin), he could be dangerous.

With that said, Austin gets frustrated easily when his routes are disrupted. And his size will be an obstacle in the NFL if he's a full-time receiver. He's also an emotional player. I don't think he's ever gotten in trouble on or off the field (not a "character" issue) but he seems to run hot or cold. The homer in me would love to see Austin in Detroit but if the Lions draft a WR in the first round, I'd prefer Terrance Williams from Baylor.

Interestingly, I think Austin's teammate Stedman Bailey might be a better NFL pro than Austin. He doesn't have Austin's speed but he is a steady player (pun intended), has great hands, and runs crisp routes. He's also a smart, reliable, hard-working player with a good attitude. He leads all FBS receivers with 20 TDs right now, which is pretty great production. He won't "flash" at the Combine, so I could see him being available in round 2-3.

I dont know much about Austin but Im not sure of the need for another wideout early. Sure if he s Percy Harvin II Im all for taking him but I think that with Thomas and Broyles we have a couple decent smaller wideouts. If we get someone I d prefer they are a 6'-6'2 range to diversify the type of players we have. I guess if Austin could return kicks and punts he d be valuable also - I just dont know a lot about him.

November 25th, 2012, 5:42 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Austin will likely be a first-rounder. Because the Lions have far greater needs than WR, I doubt they use a rd 1 on a WR. I agree that IF they drafted a WR in rd 1, a guy with good size (like Terrance Williams) might be a good option.

I doubt many people want the Lions to use a rd 1 pick on a WR, but they'll likely pick up another WR in the offseason, especially if they sever ties with Titus Young (and perhaps Burleson). So who are the later-round prospects you folks like? I mentioned Steadman Bailey, who I think will be a good possession-type receiver. Who else?

November 25th, 2012, 8:18 pm
Team MVP

mwill2 wrote:
Austin will likely be a first-rounder. Because the Lions have far greater needs than WR, I doubt they use a rd 1 on a WR. I agree that IF they drafted a WR in rd 1, a guy with good size (like Terrance Williams) might be a good option.

I doubt many people want the Lions to use a rd 1 pick on a WR, but they'll likely pick up another WR in the offseason, especially if they sever ties with Titus Young (and perhaps Burleson). So who are the later-round prospects you folks like? I mentioned Steadman Bailey, who I think will be a good possession-type receiver. Who else?

I think WR "could" be a need, but if they spent a 1st Rd pick on one, I would have SERIOUS concerns with Mayhew and this organization. I highly doubt they would do that, but if they did.... :evil:

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 26th, 2012, 8:40 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I also like Austin and would take him in the 3rd if he was available.

November 26th, 2012, 11:14 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

I think we might go TE early.

November 28th, 2012, 12:40 pm
Team MVP

thelomasbrowns wrote:

Eifert...ertz possibly?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

November 28th, 2012, 2:06 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:

I'll break my phone

November 28th, 2012, 2:50 pm
Team MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

I'll break my phone

Why? You hate Pettigrew, you want NO tight end?

I agree, i would be pissed if we took one in first round, but I could see second.

November 28th, 2012, 6:01 pm
RIP Killer

It would be a waste of a draft pick to use one on a tight end, unless one falls that is spectacular. I want Brandon Pettigrew to be truly challenged at his spot. So far, the Lions don't have that person. Scheffler can't block to save his life, and Heller isn't that impressive an athlete. I think if the Lions could find a tight end that could really stretch the middle of the field and make teams pay for shading safeties over to Calvin, it would be worth it. But those kind of players are tough to get now.

November 28th, 2012, 8:25 pm
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

I'll break my phone

I agree, i would be pissed if we took one in first round, but I could see second.

Pettigrew is a mediocre tightend, with potential. I don't think he will ever realize that potential, but we're stuck with him unless we can trade him this offseason. He will probably want more money than he's worth to bring him back, and we should probably part ways with him at that point, but Mayhew will likely screw up and re-sign the guy. We get too attached to "our guys," and until this team gets rid of this entitled, me-first, defeatist attitude we should prefer guys that AREN'T our own. IMO it would be good for this team to bring in "different" players for the next couple of years. I think it would have been beneficial to bring in Tracy Porter, Michael Bush, and Manningham just to bring some life and energy into the locker-room, and to show the team that yes, upper management is trying.

That said, it has been proven time and time again that TE is NOT worthy of a first round pick. The last first round TE that I liked was Heath Miller, but even if you look at his good career, you can see teams that REGULARLY take TEs that are just as effective in rounds 3-5. That's why I would throw my phone... Look at last years first round TE for comparison - Coby Fleener was said to be one of the best TE prospect in years, he has under 300 yards, and no TDs so far this season.

Look at the guys that can "stretch the field" that people say are "rare" - Jacob Tamme, low-value FA signing, Greg Olson - was given away, Aaron Hernadez - later round pick, Gronkowski - later round pick, Jimmy Gram - later round pick. Why take a TE in the first round? They're project players that need time to develop, learn the game, and mature physically. There's no sense in taking one in the first. Ask New England who screwed up and took Ben Watson in the first round, an AMAZING TE prospect when he came into the league.

November 29th, 2012, 6:58 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

m2karateman wrote:
It would be a waste of a draft pick to use one on a tight end, unless one falls that is spectacular. I want Brandon Pettigrew to be truly challenged at his spot. So far, the Lions don't have that person. Scheffler can't block to save his life, and Heller isn't that impressive an athlete. I think if the Lions could find a tight end that could really stretch the middle of the field and make teams pay for shading safeties over to Calvin, it would be worth it. But those kind of players are tough to get now.

I just want one that can reliably catch the ball. So if the Lions were to draft one in the 2nd round I could understand it. My preference would be they take one in the middle rounds as they have bigger fish to fry with those early picks. Safety, CB, DE, G/C.

November 29th, 2012, 7:13 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

I'll break my phone

Pettigrew is a mediocre tightend, with potential. I don't think he will ever realize that potential, but we're stuck with him unless we can trade him this offseason. He will probably want more money than he's worth to bring him back, and we should probably part ways with him at that point, but Mayhew will likely screw up and re-sign the guy. We get too attached to "our guys," and until this team gets rid of this entitled, me-first, defeatist attitude we should prefer guys that AREN'T our own. IMO it would be good for this team to bring in "different" players for the next couple of years. I think it would have been beneficial to bring in Tracy Porter, Michael Bush, and Manningham just to bring some life and energy into the locker-room, and to show the team that yes, upper management is trying.

That said, it has been proven time and time again that TE is NOT worthy of a first round pick. The last first round TE that I liked was Heath Miller, but even if you look at his good career, you can see teams that REGULARLY take TEs that are just as effective in rounds 3-5. That's why I would throw my phone... Look at last years first round TE for comparison - Coby Fleener was said to be one of the best TE prospect in years, he has under 300 yards, and no TDs so far this season.

Look at the guys that can "stretch the field" that people say are "rare" - Jacob Tamme, low-value FA signing, Greg Olson - was given away, Aaron Hernadez - later round pick, Gronkowski - later round pick, Jimmy Gram - later round pick. Why take a TE in the first round? They're project players that need time to develop, learn the game, and mature physically. There's no sense in taking one in the first. Ask New England who screwed up and took Ben Watson in the first round, an AMAZING TE prospect when he came into the league.

Gronk was taken 42nd. He would've gone in the first had there not been injury concerns.

November 29th, 2012, 10:15 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Ask New England who screwed up and took Ben Watson in the first round, an AMAZING TE prospect when he came into the league.

Not 100% sure but didnt that Ben Watson help them win a SB before they let him walk away?

That said I Agree with your pt. TE is a Rd 2+ Pick (and preferrably 3+ unless they are a special talent).

November 30th, 2012, 5:43 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
DJ-B wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Ask New England who screwed up and took Ben Watson in the first round, an AMAZING TE prospect when he came into the league.

Not 100% sure but didnt that Ben Watson help them win a SB before they let him walk away?

That said I Agree with your pt. TE is a Rd 2+ Pick (and preferrably 3+ unless they are a special talent).

No, he didn't. They drafted him the last year they won a SB (2004 season), and he played in 1 game early in the season, and was injured for the rest of the year. They never won a SB with his "help," he was never a significant part of their offense, and his career was plagued with injuries. He was largely a bust, but admittedly, it was primarily because of injuries.

November 30th, 2012, 6:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next