View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 12:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Biggest Need next year? 
QB Coach

Post Biggest Need next year?
Ok so this offseason I was hoping for OL and CB help. We added Reiff and hopefully he can be the answer at LT next season. However we still need younger guys on the interior and at RT if Gosder departs. Bentley may take one CB spot but Houston is a free agent again so that still leaves us looking for a stud corner, even if he re-signs for a season or two.

However, I am now really concerned with the safety spot. Spivey is not going to be the answer and Delmas can't stay on the field. I think we have to devote our first round pick to a player in the secondary and I'm leaning more towards safety now.

August 22nd, 2012, 12:32 pm
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Biggest Need next year?
In no particular order, I see needs at: CB, S, LB, OL and depth, depth, depth

August 22nd, 2012, 12:37 pm
Varsity Captain

Def. and O line.......BPA from that group! Except D line that is, not right now

August 22nd, 2012, 1:22 pm
Team MVP

SAFETY. That #1 in my opinion. I dont care if its free safety, strong safety, green safety, blue safety..etc The way the NFL is now, a ball hawk safety is beginning to be more and more important. We dont have one. Well, we kinda do, but he spends more of his time on the injury report than on the field. No offense to Delmas. Plus, he is a FA. And our strong safety, i dont even wanna talk about that.

Other than that, it all depends on how our Free Agents turn out.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

August 22nd, 2012, 1:37 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I'd like to see CB addressed through free agency. I think very good safteys can be picked up in the 2nd round without much dificulty. I would like to see us continue to address the O-line in the first rd.

August 22nd, 2012, 2:24 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

If Avril is gone, I'm guessing DE will be among the top needs. KVB isn't getting younger, Willie Young will be an RFA and LoJack will be a FA. The position looks stacked this year but that could change drastically in March. With that said, it's tough to project what next year's needs will be at this point.

August 22nd, 2012, 2:50 pm
Veteran General Manager

regularjoe12 wrote:
I'd like to see CB addressed through free agency. I think very good safteys can be picked up in the 2nd round without much dificulty. I would like to see us continue to address the O-line in the first rd.

OH Yeah? Name the very good Safety from the 2nd round,in this last draft. They don't always exist. I do agree that there usually is a really good one there though.

August 22nd, 2012, 11:24 pm
League MVP

I think we re going to have a big need at CB. Houston will be an UFA. After that its S and then RB. My sleeper would be on the DL where at DT you have to bet on Fairley staying healthy clean and giving an f about football plus Corey WIlliams contract expiring and at DE where Avril would be an UFA, DT Williams is on the last year of his deal and DT Fairley has his head up his a.. and some trade value.

Final Answer : CB

August 23rd, 2012, 1:18 am

BillySims wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

OH Yeah? Name the very good Safety from the 2nd round,in this last draft. They don't always exist. I do agree that there usually is a really good one there though.

ask me that question in a year or two...it's too early to tell who was any good so far in last draft :wink:

August 23rd, 2012, 8:26 am
RIP Killer

regularjoe12 wrote:

Here's the thing with drafting safeties....the ones who can do it all usually go very quick. They are off the board in the first round. The Lions got Louis Delmas at pick 33, so that was pretty close to a first round pick. Patrick Chung went next to the Pats.

After the one, two, maybe three elite safeties are off the board, the rest are one dimensional. You'll get mostly guys that are "in the box" safeties who are liabilities in coverage after that. An occasional coverage safety will be available, but usually they couldn't tackle their own grandmother if she was wearing a body cast.

The wildcard in all that is the college corner that gets converted to a safety. Some workout, but most don't (Amari Spievey).

In this past draft Mark Barron didn't get to work out for teams until like a week or so before the draft. He was considered to initially be a late first rounder. We were even debating about whether the Lions should take him not if he was available, but WHEN he was available for us in round one. Tampa Bay took him 7th overall after his workouts shot him up the draft boards because he showed how well he moved in coverage. His ability to stop the run was unquestioned.

In 2010 both Eric Berry and Earl Thomas were considered excellent two way players, and you saw how quickly they came off the board. The one thing you can count on is that top quality prospects at the safety position won't be plentiful in the coming draft. It's like that every year.

Yes, it is possible to find a good safety in round two, or even later. But like most other positions, your best talent at the position typically comes out of round one.

I still think the Lions have to look at getting an interior lineman for the offense, and get a damn good one. Supposedly they were high on Amini Silatolu this year for their second round pick, but the Panthers took him at #40. We can't count on Bill Nagy, even though he's pretty good when healthy. Raiola and Peterman have to be improved upon. But I don't think we have to burn a first round pick there.

If there is a good two way safety, I think that's where the priority has to be. It is our weakest position, even with Delmas in the game. He can't get off the trainers table, and when he's not in there it's a big dropoff. It's the position with the least reliable depth. Unless they plan to convert Chris Greenwood, it can't be a position that's ignored.

Another area to start being concerned with, depending on what happens, is the running back position. If LeShoure doesn't show the right stuff and Best has to retire, the Lions got really nothing there. I like Joique Bell, but don't see him as a starter quality back. Smith is a stop gap starter. Keiland Williams is just in the right place at the right time for now. But the fact is a decent running back can more easily be found in later rounds than a good safety. The Lions have spent high picks on backs and have gotten burned by it. In the mean time, other teams have waited and got more production out of later round picks.

August 24th, 2012, 9:07 am

i cant argue with you one bit there, but when it comes to safteys the elite ones generally go in the top 10-15 picks. i'm HOPING we wont be drafting that early any time soon. after the elites are gone it's kinda like you said the next level is all kind of even. a good portion of those guys are servicable and able to be scooped uop in the 2nd. at least thats my perception anyhow.

August 24th, 2012, 11:20 am
RIP Killer

regularjoe12 wrote:
i cant argue with you one bit there, but when it comes to safteys the elite ones generally go in the top 10-15 picks. i'm HOPING we wont be drafting that early any time soon. after the elites are gone it's kinda like you said the next level is all kind of even. a good portion of those guys are servicable and able to be scooped uop in the 2nd. at least thats my perception anyhow.

Well, that's what trading up is for joe. If an elite style safety enters the draft, depending on the cost of moving up, I might be all for it.

August 24th, 2012, 1:19 pm

m2karateman wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Well, that's what trading up is for joe. If an elite style safety enters the draft, depending on the cost of moving up, I might be all for it.

Thats possible, but i find it unlikely. Mayhew is frugal (not a complaint...just an observation) and while talks have happened up to this point it has yet to happen....I kinda think that someone is going to have to be selling cheap for mayhew to move up in the 1st. I love the fact that he is very value smart, but thats the reason I dont see us moving up in the first all that often.

August 24th, 2012, 1:37 pm
Veteran General Manager

regularjoe12 wrote:

We are now advanced enough into our overhaul, that we can now start trading up for that one guy that we target in the pick# 12-20 range. I personally, think CB is still the bigger need, UNLESS, Bentley shows that he is the man. He impressed in the 1st pre-season game. Did he even play in the 2nd game? If he did, he disappeared.

But, either S or CB in round 1 for me. We can get a starting ( maybe not right away, but, eventual), OG in round 3.

But, we need to upgrade either LB's or DB's. 1 or the other. With a dominant D-line and an above average LB's corp, the DB's aren't so important. and with an above average DB's, we can get away with below average LB's.

We might have already upgraded the LBing corp with Whitehead and T. Lewis to the point that we might be able to let Durant walk after this season. Maybe even a cap casualty this season.

And do not be surprised if we trade 1 or 2 of our backup D-linemen for picks or something. We can keep everyone. We will either trade them or be forced to cut some of them. Other teams are already scouting our D-linemen. It's better to get even a 7th rounder for them then have to cut them and get nothing.

And, I hope, that this is the year that we start trading late round picks for 1 round improvements the following year. Belicheck does it. We should be able to find takers also.

August 24th, 2012, 9:12 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

BillySims wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

We are now advanced enough into our overhaul, that we can now start trading up for that one guy that we target in the pick# 12-20 range. I personally, think CB is still the bigger need, UNLESS, Bentley shows that he is the man. He impressed in the 1st pre-season game. Did he even play in the 2nd game? If he did, he disappeared.

But, either S or CB in round 1 for me. We can get a starting ( maybe not right away, but, eventual), OG in round 3.

But, we need to upgrade either LB's or DB's. 1 or the other. With a dominant D-line and an above average LB's corp, the DB's aren't so important. and with an above average DB's, we can get away with below average LB's.

We might have already upgraded the LBing corp with Whitehead and T. Lewis to the point that we might be able to let Durant walk after this season. Maybe even a cap casualty this season.

And do not be surprised if we trade 1 or 2 of our backup D-linemen for picks or something. We can keep everyone. We will either trade them or be forced to cut some of them. Other teams are already scouting our D-linemen. It's better to get even a 7th rounder for them then have to cut them and get nothing.

And, I hope, that this is the year that we start trading late round picks for 1 round improvements the following year. Belicheck does it. We should be able to find takers also.

Bentley played the nickel and did a good job sticking with receivers. Lacey started at corner and was beat badly, but the defense on a whole played a good bend don't break philosophy and didn't give up a TD all game.

For LB's, we need a weakside backer, but Levy has stepped up his game so far. This is his 3rd year, so this is his last shot. Hogue isn't too far off but with Whitehead and Lewis playing well, Hogue is on the bubble. I'd love to see how Lewis plays the outside but they've been having him take the 2nd team MLB slot, so maybe the learning process there is more important right now.

I have no doubt that we'll try to trade some of the bubble guys this weekend, but I suspect there will be some decent players released before the deadline on monday, and even more prior to the following monday.

August 24th, 2012, 9:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 195 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next