View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 7:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post your realistic perfect 2013 Lions draft scenario 
Butkus Award Winner

Post Post your realistic perfect 2013 Lions draft scenario
Round 1: Trade #5 pick to the Jets for their #9 since they want Geno badly. Get a 3rd from it and take Bjoern Werner. If he's gone, Dee Milliner. If he's gone, Ansah

TRADE 2nd round pick and 3rd that we get from the Jets to the Colts for the 24th pick. Take Xavier Rhodes

Round 3 (our original 3rd): Baccari Rambo

Round 4: Kenjon Barner

Round 5, 6, 7: BPA out of guard/centers, WRs and defense

February 27th, 2013, 4:47 pm
Team MVP

Post Re: Post your realistic perfect 2013 Lions draft scenario
Round 1: Joeckel or Fisher if they're there, if not trade down and take Vacarro or Warmack.
Round 2: Desmond Trufant if he's there
Round 3: Barrett Jones or Mike Gillislie

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 27th, 2013, 5:23 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Shotty wrote:
Round 1: Trade #5 pick to the Jets for their #9 since they want Geno badly. Get a 3rd from it and take Bjoern Werner. If he's gone, Dee Milliner. If he's gone, Ansah

TRADE 2nd round pick and 3rd that we get from the Jets to the Colts for the 24th pick. Take Xavier Rhodes

You want to trade down 4 spots in the 1st round and only get a 3rd round pick out of it? EPIC FAIL AS A GM.

February 27th, 2013, 10:30 pm
NFL Veteran

BillySims wrote:
Shotty wrote:

You want to trade down 4 spots in the 1st round and only get a 3rd round pick out of it? EPIC FAIL AS A GM.

I gotta agree with Billy, a 3rd alone is bad news when your giving a team their Franchise QB. Everyone talking about getting just a 2nd or a 3rd and a 4th are giving the spot away. If someone is trading to get Geno Smith then they have locked into him as a Franchise QB because top 10 QBs get you fired. No GM is going to say "hey it only costs a 3rd we should get him." They will have already set in their mind they are going to get him and will be willing to give up major compensation to do it. If your not getting atleast 2 2nd rounders out of a Franchise QB in the top 5 of the draft your doing something wrong. The only way they get such low compensation is if they swap picks with the Browns.

February 28th, 2013, 10:50 am
Varsity 1st Team

Round 1 2021 draft

Lions pick

Andrew V** H*****OT,TE,DT (Michigan) :mrgreen:

Frok

February 28th, 2013, 3:46 pm
IMO, trading down, especially in this draft, is a complete suckers game, UNLESS you know you're going to get "your guy." This trading up or down for "value" and missing out on blue chip players is flat out stupid in my book. If we believe that our future LT is sitting there at 5 and don't take him, we're dumb...

February 28th, 2013, 3:49 pm
Team MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
IMO, trading down, especially in this draft, is a complete suckers game, UNLESS you know you're going to get "your guy." This trading up or down for "value" and missing out on blue chip players is flat out stupid in my book. If we believe that our future LT is sitting there at 5 and don't take him, we're dumb...

But what if that future LT isnt sitting there at 5?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

February 28th, 2013, 3:55 pm
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Then you trade up to get him, IMO. The only way we walk away from this draft without an LT is if we believe that Eric Fisher & Luke Joeckel are both incapable of playing LT this season. If that is the case, and I doubt it is, then we have to sign a FA LT at all costs.

IMO it's a failure of an offseason if we go into 2013 with Backus and Reiff at LT, or even Backus and Reiff at LT and RT, or even Reiff at LT and Gos at RT. We need someone playing LT next year that is not currently on our roster.

February 28th, 2013, 4:00 pm
Team MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Then you trade up to get him, IMO. The only way we walk away from this draft without an LT is if we believe that Eric Fisher & Luke Joeckel are both incapable of playing LT this season. If that is the case, and I doubt it is, then we have to sign a FA LT at all costs.

IMO it's a failure of an offseason if we go into 2013 with Backus and Reiff at LT, or even Backus and Reiff at LT and RT, or even Reiff at LT and Gos at RT. We need someone playing LT next year that is not currently on our roster.

This i agree with. Doubt Mayhew would do it, but I think he should.

February 28th, 2013, 4:11 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

While I dont disagree with you that adding a premier LT to the roster is a good thing....there is more than one way to build a winning team. we have SOO many holes, if we can move back 5-10 spots and get another day one draft pick or more, thats NOT a bad thing IF we plug solid players into out roster. getting Millner and a top quality OLB for instance may...juuuustt maybe be able tio help out d stop opponeents from scoring 30 points a game. our O , with the current shaky O-line can still score 30plus a game regularly. our d cant stop crap and being able to improve that is NOT a bad idea.

Im not saying you're wrong....you just have tunnel vision on your way to build a team that can win.

I mean thinnk about it. what if we can do what the browns did last year and move back 3-4 times in the first. Yes we lose out on that one GREAT player, but if we can add 4-5 above average players for doing so isn't that a win too?

February 28th, 2013, 6:58 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

While I dont disagree with you that adding a premier LT to the roster is a good thing....there is more than one way to build a winning team. we have SOO many holes, if we can move back 5-10 spots and get another day one draft pick or more, thats NOT a bad thing IF we plug solid players into out roster. getting Millner and a top quality OLB for instance may...juuuustt maybe be able tio help out d stop opponeents from scoring 30 points a game. our O , with the current shaky O-line can still score 30plus a game regularly. our d cant stop crap and being able to improve that is NOT a bad idea.

Im not saying you're wrong....you just have tunnel vision on your way to build a team that can win.

I mean thinnk about it. what if we can do what the browns did last year and move back 3-4 times in the first. Yes we lose out on that one GREAT player, but if we can add 4-5 above average players for doing so isn't that a win too?

There is a difference between LT and all of our other "holes"... If a DE, CB, LB etc. screws up, there's 10 other guys out there to help him out, we can still make a play, and the consequences aren't likely to be disastrous. If your LT screws up, your drive is likely over, and your Qb may be on a stretcher.

There is another fundamental difference between LT and our other needs... You can play "pretty good" at DE, LB, FS, SS, and CB, you can't play "pretty good" at LT, you either did your job or the Qb is on his tuckus. You can develop a DE, LB, FS, and SS on the fly. You can't really do that at LT. You can put in a rookie DE virtually any year, drafted in any round, and it's not going to kill you... We can wait to take our other needs, we can't go a year without a franchise LT.

Add that to the fact that it's tough to land a franchise LT in FA, you have to overpay to get them, we're in cap hell, we need a cheap player 5-6 years out, Matt Stafford needs an OL he can trust, and an OL that he knows, and this year is the year to get a LT.

February 28th, 2013, 7:21 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I like what I've seen Fisher in the little I have seen of him and wouldn't be upset with him at #5 but trading up even one spot is foolish with all the holes this team needs to fill over the next two seasons. The funny thing is Fisher is now being looked at as this can't miss prospect when he was seen as a 2nd or 3rd team preseason All Mac O-lineman by a lot of the "experts" that now say is a top 5 player.

February 28th, 2013, 8:24 pm
NFL Veteran

I think what everyone is missing is getting the LT to help the offense means we play 1 rookie with a bunch of vets. You trade down to fill all these defensive holes and now you are playing a defense with half the starters as rookies. That is probably one of the worst things you can possibly do if your looking for players to learn anything.

The defense is going to need some vet FAs or some of last years guys resigned, so you need to spread out where your putting those resources or your going to be wasting the limited resources on the same spot.

Also having a potential franchise LT with a RT that can play LT locked up for 4-5 years on rookie deals is going to let you spread the money out better. It's just so much cheaper and eaiser to sign a FA DB or LB than an OT. Even a good RT can be hard to find and still cost a hefty sum.

The two things the Lions have to do this draft is come away with another OT and a DE. They get those two locked down and focus their money on a couple corners the rest of the spots can be filled in pretty easily.

February 28th, 2013, 9:12 pm
Hall of Fame Player

rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Shotty wrote:

I gotta agree with Billy, a 3rd alone is bad news when your giving a team their Franchise QB. Everyone talking about getting just a 2nd or a 3rd and a 4th are giving the spot away. If someone is trading to get Geno Smith then they have locked into him as a Franchise QB because top 10 QBs get you fired. No GM is going to say "hey it only costs a 3rd we should get him." They will have already set in their mind they are going to get him and will be willing to give up major compensation to do it. If your not getting atleast 2 2nd rounders out of a Franchise QB in the top 5 of the draft your doing something wrong. The only way they get such low compensation is if they swap picks with the Browns.

It wasn't that long ago that we got a 2nd round pick out of the Browns so they could move up 1 spot to get Kellen Winslow Jr.

February 28th, 2013, 10:27 pm
RIP Killer

Wjb, it's worked pretty well for the bears. Webb (7th rounder) was terrible and they've groomed him into something decent. Williams and caring were both mid first rounders that have been horrible at RT and LT. Hell, now Williams is unemployed because he stunk so bad. That's one team that's tried to draft high OL and have actually have had better luck later on.

Your theory isn't always true.

March 1st, 2013, 12:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next