View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2014, 12:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post your realistic perfect 2013 Lions draft scenario 
1st Round Pick

Post Re: Post your realistic perfect 2013 Lions draft scenario
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
TNLionsFanatic wrote:
alright after spending about 2 hours researching and writing a full write up on each prospect, something happened and it did not take so, I'm making it short and sweet:

#1 Best OT on the board
Love or hate Backus, he was solid and this becomes more than a need

#2 Corneilus "Tank" Carradine - DE Florida State
recovering from ACL, but ahead of schedule and this guy is a beast, he falls to the 2nd due to the injury, and we benefit

#3 Da'Rick Rogers - WR TN Tech
Another WR named Rogers and character issues, call me crazy, but I think he's learned his lesson and he would be an absolute beast on the opposite side of Calvin

#5 William Gholston - DE Michigan State
Highly recruited but never quite lived up to the hype. Sounds familiar? His cousin ended up a bust, but heres to hoping that the Washburn/Cunningham system turns him into the prospect everyone thought he was.

#6 Everett Dawkins - DT Florida State
We need some rotation relief and Dawkins could slide right in and give Suh and Fairley a breather. Although he might not last this long.

#7 Caleb Sturgis - PK Florida
Hanson still has the leg to kick the field goals, but struggles to get the ball into the end zone on the kick offs. I love Hanson, you love Hanson, but his time is coming to an end.

Alright, there you go... tear it apart!

I think Roger's will be a late 2nd round pick, but I like the selection if he's there. I find his sincerity in his remorse and later, his maturity handling his past character issues. I really believe that crap is behind him.

I've said it before that I really like Roh (UofM) as a character guy and an "under" DT like we seem to prefer.

IMO Gholston would be a good pickup. He's about as athletic as Young, he's much bigger, and he plays with a chip on his shoulder. I couldn't find any highlights were I thought Ronnell Lewis used his size and/or speed to "beat up on" or even to "beat" the DL. The same isn't true for Gholston. He suffered from not being in the pass rush as much as he could have/should have... IMO he has the size and speed to be a 4-3 DE, and I think he would be a good fit in the rotation.

I don't think we need a kicker after we signed our new punter... I think the new P is going to be handling kickoff duties.

I think what's got me so sour on Ghoulston as a 4-3 DE is I've never seen him flash anything special. Now I'm adding a poor combine and pro day to that, so I have yet to see any of the athleticism that he has been credited to have.

Lewis seems to be a slow-twitch guy, but he is not lacking in the speed to be a good pass rusher. Lewis plays fast when he gets a clear look at the play and doesn't need to think too much. He may never be able to put it together, so I'm not thinking he'll be a starter. Lewis also matches up to Avril much better than Ghoulston does and Avril is the only pass rushing DE to be successful for Schwartz in DET so far.

Why look at a DE that is opposite of the coaching staffs only successful edge pass rusher?

He's whooped the hell out of Taylor Lewan on a number of occasions, and he's supposed to be a top 5 NFL OT.

He's had a half a sack in the three years he's played U of M.

March 19th, 2013, 1:12 pm
Go back and watch the games...

It's not that he has Qb sacks (and, do they call it a Qb sack if it's a designed Qb run and he's tackled behind the LOS?)? He made a ton of plays in the backfield. Go watch...

March 19th, 2013, 1:16 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

1:Chiefs select Luke Joeckel
2:Jags select Dee Milliner
3:Raiders select Sharrif Floyd
4:Eagles select Eric Fisher
**trade** Bills trade the Detroit Lions their 1st, 2nd, and 4th for the 5th overall draftpick.
5:Bills select Geno Smith
6:Browns select Chance Warmack
7:Cardinals select Dion Jordan

8:Lions select DE Ziggy Ansah-Ansah did not put up numbers in college primarily due to scheme. He was a 3-4 defensive and and sometimes played NT. He did however show his potential in the Lions scheme during the senior bowl when he put up 2.5 sacks. The combination of playing next to Fairley and Suh and covered over top by Delmas and Quin make Ansah a great pick.

2nd: RT DJ Fluker-Fluker is a stud RT and could instantly give us a great pair of bookend in Fluker and Reiff.

2nd: WR Justin Hunter-The Lions need a deep threat next opposite of Megatron. It seemed often no one could get open last season.

3rd: OC Barrett Jones-The Raiola era needs to end sooner of later. Jones is dropping for no apparent reason.

4th: D.J. Swearinger-Depth is needed with the retention of Delmas. Swearinger is underrated and could go much much higher.

4th: LB Kiko Alonso-A talented linebacker who could potentially start year one.

5th: DE Cornelius Washington- Washington has a ton of potential in this defense. Adds depth to the DE rotation.

6th: TE Michael Williams- A great run blocking TE to replace Heller.

7th: P Ryan Allen-The Lions need a punter in the worst way.

7th: DT William Campbell- He has a ton of potential if he can put it all together.

*notable free agents brought in
RG Brandon Moore-a veteran to help shore up the right side.
CB Tracy Porter-fights for a sport with last years rookies...should be dirt cheap.
DE Lawerence Jackson-Fights for a starting sport.
K Jason Hanson

March 19th, 2013, 1:24 pm
1st Round Pick

wjb21ndtown wrote:

It's not that he has Qb sacks (and, do they call it a Qb sack if it's a designed Qb run and he's tackled behind the LOS?)? He made a ton of plays in the backfield. Go watch...

Again not saying he's a bad player, but he is not what the Lions need. They need a pass rusher, they already have a more athletic run stuffer that can add a little pressure in Jason Jones and can always resign Lojack if they want another. They need a guy that can get to the QB and cause hurried throws or chase him down if he scrambles.

Ghoulston would be exactly what I would want to see if they were setting up something like Seattle.

March 19th, 2013, 1:50 pm
Team MVP

rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Again not saying he's a bad player, but he is not what the Lions need. They need a pass rusher, they already have a more athletic run stuffer that can add a little pressure in Jason Jones and can always resign Lojack if they want another. They need a guy that can get to the QB and cause hurried throws or chase him down if he scrambles.

Ghoulston would be exactly what I would want to see if they were setting up something like Seattle.

Im a State fan I and Im not sure I would want Gholston with a higher round pick. He shows no pass rush skills to me. Hes a beast, no doubt, but I dont see him fitting in here. Could be wrong though.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 19th, 2013, 2:12 pm
kdsberman wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Im a State fan I and Im not sure I would want Gholston with a higher round pick. He shows no pass rush skills to me. Hes a beast, no doubt, but I dont see him fitting in here. Could be wrong though.

I have to admit, I was super disappointed with his combine #s. I really thought he was going to run more in the 4.67-4.78 range. But I do think his size/speed combo is still impressive, and I would never spend a 4th or earlier on him. I just think he would be a good 5th round project player, at least as good as Lewis/Young.

IMO this year is make or break for Young. I really think we should deal him as a 3-4 pass rushing OLB if he has any trade value. His inability to gain weight/have any sort of worth to this team last year was telling, IMO.

March 19th, 2013, 2:17 pm
1st Round Pick

wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I have to admit, I was super disappointed with his combine #s. I really thought he was going to run more in the 4.67-4.78 range. But I do think his size/speed combo is still impressive, and I would never spend a 4th or earlier on him. I just think he would be a good 5th round project player, at least as good as Lewis/Young.

IMO this year is make or break for Young. I really think we should deal him as a 3-4 pass rushing OLB if he has any trade value. His inability to gain weight/have any sort of worth to this team last year was telling, IMO.

If Ghoulston had put up some better pass rush numbers I would completely disregard his combine stuff. I do think he plays way stronger than he tested in shorts, but he just doesn't seem to be a threat for sacks. I really wish we didn't play a wide-9, he has a ton of value in the 5th for virtually any other defense.

Is Young's $2M guaranteed? If it's not I really think they should cut him if they can find a $3M vet pass rusher. Young's price is starting to get to big for his talent level. I don't see him ever being a starter and they got good value getting 2 back up seasons from a 7th rounder.

March 19th, 2013, 2:32 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I agree with the make it or break it for Young.

March 20th, 2013, 2:42 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Team MVP

Star Lotulelei just had a good performance at his Pro Day, and still not more conditions since his ONE condition at the combine. This should hopefully put him back in Top 5 talks and hopefully help push Fisher back a little.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 20th, 2013, 3:52 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

This is from the draft game..

DJ-B wrote:
Nothing Fancy, No Trades, Fairly Realistic values, and Nearly Perfect Draft for the Lions... at least IMO.

Round 1 Pick 5: Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan (A)
Round 2 Pick 4: Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State (A-)
Round 3 Pick 3: Barrett Jones, C, Alabama (B)
Round 4 Pick 35 (COMP): Kevin Reddick, ILB, North Carolina (A)
Round 5 Pick 4: Kwame Geathers, DT, Georgia (A)
Round 6 Pick 3: Kenny Stills, WR, Oklahoma (B+)
Round 7 Pick 5: Robert Lester, SS, Alabama (A)
Round 7 Pick 39 (COMP): Etienne Sabino, OLB, Ohio State (A)

What do you think?

March 21st, 2013, 2:10 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Mr. Irrelevant

DJ-B wrote:
This is from the draft game..

DJ-B wrote:
Nothing Fancy, No Trades, Fairly Realistic values, and Nearly Perfect Draft for the Lions... at least IMO.

Round 1 Pick 5: Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan (A)
Round 2 Pick 4: Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State (A-)
Round 3 Pick 3: Barrett Jones, C, Alabama (B)
Round 4 Pick 35 (COMP): Kevin Reddick, ILB, North Carolina (A)
Round 5 Pick 4: Kwame Geathers, DT, Georgia (A)
Round 6 Pick 3: Kenny Stills, WR, Oklahoma (B+)
Round 7 Pick 5: Robert Lester, SS, Alabama (A)
Round 7 Pick 39 (COMP): Etienne Sabino, OLB, Ohio State (A)

What do you think?

1 Pick 5: Eric Fisher- Love this pick, one of my favorite players in this years draft.
2 Pick 4: Xavier Rhodes- Like his potential, and would consider this a solid pick.
3 Pick 3: Barrett Jones- Think he's overrated because of where he played, and with the injury, I expect him to slide, 4th to 5th.
4 Pick 35 (COMP): Kevin Reddick- Like him alot, very instinctive MLB, but don't think the Lions will be looking for inside backers.
5 Pick 4: Kwame Geathers- Don't know enough to have an opinion, but we now need depth at DT.
6 Pick 3: Kenny Stills- We do need a 4th WR, just think they'll look earlier to fill the need.
7 Pick 5: Robert Lester- This would be a solid pick for depth.
7 Pick 39 (COMP): Etienne Sabino- Well, at least he's an OLB (need), think they will look for one earlier.

Overall, good draft.

March 21st, 2013, 9:37 am
Mr. Irrelevant

With the draft little more than a month away, just some thoughts on possible d-day options. If the top two Tackles are gone, as I think they will be at 5, what do we do? If we stay at 5, think we could go DE. Ansah, great potential, size-speed-strength, but he's a gamble. The same goes for my #2 DE, Mingo. What if Jarvis Jones wows at his pro day? Is he in the mix? He would have to play SSLB for us IMO. Or is Lane Johnson the Tackle from OK someone we should consider, because of the need a Tackle?
Trade options, what are the chances? IMO, Miami could be a possible trade partner, if they feel the need to address their deficiency at LT with Long leaving, and with Johnson there at 5. The Dolphins at 12 have an extra pick in the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th. For me this would be the ideal situation, the Lions get to move back, acquire more picks, and at 12 take a DE or G, still getting an impact player at a position of need, without reaching.
Any opinions?

March 21st, 2013, 10:39 am
Veteran General Manager

liontrax wrote:
With the draft little more than a month away, just some thoughts on possible d-day options. If the top two Tackles are gone, as I think they will be at 5, what do we do? If we stay at 5, think we could go DE. Ansah, great potential, size-speed-strength, but he's a gamble. The same goes for my #2 DE, Mingo. What if Jarvis Jones wows at his pro day? Is he in the mix? He would have to play SSLB for us IMO. Or is Lane Johnson the Tackle from OK someone we should consider, because of the need a Tackle?
Trade options, what are the chances? IMO, Miami could be a possible trade partner, if they feel the need to address their deficiency at LT with Long leaving, and with Johnson there at 5. The Dolphins at 12 have an extra pick in the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th. For me this would be the ideal situation, the Lions get to move back, acquire more picks, and at 12 take a DE or G, still getting an impact player at a position of need, without reaching.
Any opinions?

I screaming from the mountain tops that Lane Johnson will be known as the best LT from this years draft. He has the most GOD given natural ability of any LT this year. The only thing anyone has over him is time at LT. I would not pause even a nonosecond picking him at 5.

March 21st, 2013, 10:49 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
liontrax wrote:
Any opinions?

I screaming from the mountain tops that Lane Johnson will be known as the best LT from this years draft. He has the most GOD given natural ability of any LT this year. The only thing anyone has over him is time at LT. I would not pause even a nonosecond picking him at 5.

Oakland loves to draft on potential in the first round, how does that work out for them?

Again, caution to those quickly moving up the draft board after the combine...

March 21st, 2013, 12:12 pm
Profile WWW
Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:
liontrax wrote:
Any opinions?

Oakland loves to draft on potential in the first round, how does that work out for them?

Again, caution to those quickly moving up the draft board after the combine...

I agree... Aaron Curry had the most "GOD given natural ability" of any LB in the last decade, but he sucks. Robert Gallary was the 2nd coming as well, look where that got them. Mandrich?

There are plenty of physically talented players that never make it.

March 21st, 2013, 12:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next