View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 30th, 2014, 3:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Drafting a DT in the draft at #5 
Butkus Award Winner

Post Drafting a DT in the draft at #5
I was just on Bleacher Report on the lions section, and someone asked Dave Birkett about drafting a DT (Sharrif Floyd, maybe Star) at #5 if they're the CLEAR-CUT best player on the board. Thinking about this, it'd be great. Let's say KC goes with LJ, Jacksonville with Geno, Oakland with Dion Jordan or Dee Milliner, and Philly with Fisher. That leaves us with Ziggy, a raw prospect, and maybe Dee Milliner as the only option. If we go BPA and take a DT, it'd help us in many ways.

WITHOUT TRADING SUH

Easily the best DT rotation in the league, maybe ever. Relatively cheap great DT depth. Allowance of a 3-4 switch with Fairley and Floyd/Star the ends, Suh the NT.

WITH TRADING SUH

If the DT pans out, still have a top DT tandem with Fairley and him. Suh could be traded after the draft or on draft day and we'd be able to pay the dead money since we'd have so much space from his contract. So we'd have much more cap freedom and still have a good, maybe great, DT tandem. Also, Suh's dead money would immediately be paid off.

April 1st, 2013, 1:18 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

Post Re: Drafting a DT in the draft at #5
But do we need that much talent at DT (even if DT is the BPA)? We could draft a player at another spot and still trade Suh and then fill that other DT spot with an average DT player.

April 1st, 2013, 2:08 pm
RIP Killer

We need a major impact this season from the player we take at #5. I don't see that happening with a DT.

April 1st, 2013, 2:10 pm
Profile WWW
I agree... I'll be screaming for Mayhew's head if that happened (which I don't think there's any chance in hell it does happen...) One again we would be paying our #3 DT starter money while positions are ignored... That's inexcusable.

April 1st, 2013, 2:23 pm
Team MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I agree... I'll be screaming for Mayhew's head if that happened (which I don't think there's any chance in hell it does happen...) One again we would be paying our #3 DT starter money while positions are ignored... That's inexcusable.

Agree.

And will people quit saying we have the best DT tandem EVER? Why is that, because they were drafted high?

And please, quit bringing up the idea of trading Suh. Ain't gonna happen.

And we aren't drafting a DT at 5. All bogus ideas.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 1st, 2013, 2:29 pm
Veteran General Manager

wjb21ndtown wrote:

But, you already are screaming for Mayhews head!

April 2nd, 2013, 11:22 am
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

But, you already are screaming for Mayhews head!

I'm just yelling at this point...

April 2nd, 2013, 11:46 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

If they take a DT at #5, it would be clear that Mayhew has no urgency to make this team better and is inadequate in his duties. ](*,)

April 8th, 2013, 3:41 pm
Team MVP

Wayne Fontes wrote:
If they take a DT at #5, it would be clear that Mayhew has no urgency to make this team better and is inadequate in his duties. ](*,)

Absolutely. I cannot think of one logical reason to draft a DT in the first round.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

April 8th, 2013, 3:56 pm
League MVP

Drafting a DT at No 5 and keeping the same scheme would be idiotic. Maybe they could take one and switch to a 3-4 scheme or make a trade involving Suh to land Revis, but they would need a lot of additional moves to make those options work.

April 9th, 2013, 9:58 am
NFL Veteran

Can we please stop bringing up trading Suh? It would cost $19M more than his current cap hit in dead money to trade him. That's $29M of dead money because of the last restructure they did with him. The Lions would have to cut players just to trade him. He is an immovable "asset" that the Lions have to sit on for at the least this season.

If you are going to bring up moving Suh you have to do it with next year in mind. Next year the Lions would actually save $2M in cap space over his 2014 cap hit if they traded him while unloading all the dead money in one year. They almost surely would have to move him for picks though because they will need very cheap players to contribute if they want to be competitive while losing Suh.

April 9th, 2013, 1:01 pm
League MVP

If draft a DT in round 1 then trade Suh.

April 9th, 2013, 6:34 pm
The Legend wrote:

I'm really not sold on the two top DTs this year being "stars." I understand our D philosophy, but IMO we're doing it wrong. Most teams seem to have mediocre DTs, and great DE's, and we do it exactly the opposite way. If it was providing results I would call us geniuses, but with how things have been working out lately I feel as if it's a pretty stupid move.

April 9th, 2013, 6:40 pm
Team MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
The Legend wrote:

I'm really not sold on the two top DTs this year being "stars." I understand our D philosophy, but IMO we're doing it wrong. Most teams seem to have mediocre DTs, and great DE's, and we do it exactly the opposite way. If it was providing results I would call us geniuses, but with how things have been working out lately I feel as if it's a pretty stupid move.

And we dont even know if we even have "great" DT's. Suh maybe, but we dont know yet on Fairley.

April 9th, 2013, 6:49 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
The Legend wrote:

You know the Lions have always been one of those teams to follow the herd. The fact that they are approching something differently is encouraging. If you can indeed create push and pressure straight up the middle as the Lions hope then we could be onto something. With the mobility of today's QBs I'm not sure if this is the best strategy, but at least it is fairly original (even if they fell into the strategy based on how a couple of drafts fell). I actually think the Lions could be much more creative with their front four given the talent of Suh and Fairley, let's see how they fill out the DE spots.

April 10th, 2013, 1:08 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next