View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 8:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 What if? 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post What if?
Have seen some recent articles, discussion, etc. referring to the Lions potential dilemma at 5 if Joeckel, Ansah, Floyd, and Fisher, are the first 4 off the board. That would leave us picking from, OT Lane Johnson, DE/LB Dion Jordan or CB Dee Milliner at 5, IMO. There are several other possibilities, DE Werner, OG's Warmack or Cooper, but I don't think they rate that high of a pick. For me the best pick would be Johnson in this scenario. He fills a need and is probably the safest pick. Any opinions?

April 3rd, 2013, 8:54 pm
Team MVP

Post Re: What if?
liontrax wrote:
Have seen some recent articles, discussion, etc. referring to the Lions potential dilemma at 5 if Joeckel, Ansah, Floyd, and Fisher, are the first 4 off the board. That would leave us picking from, OT Lane Johnson, DE/LB Dion Jordan or CB Dee Milliner at 5, IMO. There are several other possibilities, DE Werner, OG's Warmack or Cooper, but I don't think they rate that high of a pick. For me the best pick would be Johnson in this scenario. He fills a need and is probably the safest pick. Any opinions?

X2 on Johnson, but I wouldnt be upset with Jordan neither. Still very high on Werner even though the rest of the draft nation isnt.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 3rd, 2013, 9:17 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I've said it before and I'll say it again. LT or bust at the # 5.... I'd be ecstatic if we traded up back into the first to try and get Warmack.

We haven't done enough to make the d very good as of yet. I say lets try and be the next N.O. If we solidify the LT and guard spot, I see no reason we can't sore 35 points a game in all honesty.

April 3rd, 2013, 11:00 pm
Butkus Award Winner

regularjoe12 wrote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. LT or bust at the # 5.... I'd be ecstatic if we traded up back into the first to try and get Warmack.

We haven't done enough to make the d very good as of yet. I say lets try and be the next N.O. If we solidify the LT and guard spot, I see no reason we can't sore 35 points a game in all honesty.

Completely agree. Milliner can be the next Nnamdi, but he could also be the next Terrance Newman. Ansah could COMPLETELY bust. Dion Jordan shouldn't even be considered at #5.

Man, if we can just fill the other DE spot, OLB, OR CB2 with a star player in the 2nd or 3rd, the defense would be top 10... Just think about it, NO went 13-3 with that offense and a SHxT defense, absolutely trash, ours isn't trash by any means.

April 3rd, 2013, 11:15 pm
Team MVP

Shotty wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Completely agree. Milliner can be the next Nnamdi, but he could also be the next Terrance Newman. Ansah could COMPLETELY bust. Dion Jordan shouldn't even be considered at #5.

Man, if we can just fill the other DE spot, OLB, OR CB2 with a star player in the 2nd or 3rd, the defense would be top 10... Just think about it, NO went 13-3 with that offense and a SHxT defense, absolutely trash, ours isn't trash by any means.

No?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 4th, 2013, 5:04 am
Butkus Award Winner

kdsberman wrote:
Shotty wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

No?

I think he's too small to be an effective 4-3 DE. He's a fantastic 3-4 OLB prospect, though. Basically Aldon Smith potential with even better coverage skills.

April 4th, 2013, 11:22 am
NFL Veteran

Shotty wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Shotty wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

No?

I think he's too small to be an effective 4-3 DE. He's a fantastic 3-4 OLB prospect, though. Basically Aldon Smith potential with even better coverage skills.

Jordan would only need to put on 10lbs to hit 258 lbs which would be heavy enough for what the Lions do. He also could be used as a SAM in rush downs then moved down to Jason Jones spot for passing downs until he puts on more weight. Hell, if I'm the Lions and can score another DE in the draft or in FA I would probably move Jordan around like that his whole career. The kid can cover and moves well in space, with the new generation of large pass catching TEs he could be the perfect type of athlete to stop them.

As for Ansah, he is the exact type of athlete the Lions should be taking chances with. The guy moves almost as well as Jordan but with 20+ more lbs. His arms are also longer than most OTs, so if he's coached to use them he will be able to knock down passes or block out passing lanes. The only negative he has is his lack of experience, but it's the same for Lane Johnson and a lot of people wouldn't mind taking him at #5 if the other 2 tackles are gone.

I still prefer an OT before either guy, but they shouldn't trade down just because the OTs are gone. Those 2 DEs may not be Elite prospects coming out of college but they are both Elite level athletes and above average prospects especially in this years draft.

April 4th, 2013, 12:08 pm
Butkus Award Winner

rao wrote:
Shotty wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Shotty wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

No?

Jordan would only need to put on 10lbs to hit 258 lbs which would be heavy enough for what the Lions do. He also could be used as a SAM in rush downs then moved down to Jason Jones spot for passing downs until he puts on more weight. Hell, if I'm the Lions and can score another DE in the draft or in FA I would probably move Jordan around like that his whole career. The kid can cover and moves well in space, with the new generation of large pass catching TEs he could be the perfect type of athlete to stop them.

As for Ansah, he is the exact type of athlete the Lions should be taking chances with. The guy moves almost as well as Jordan but with 20+ more lbs. His arms are also longer than most OTs, so if he's coached to use them he will be able to knock down passes or block out passing lanes. The only negative he has is his lack of experience, but it's the same for Lane Johnson and a lot of people wouldn't mind taking him at #5 if the other 2 tackles are gone.

I still prefer an OT before either guy, but they shouldn't trade down just because the OTs are gone. Those 2 DEs may not be Elite prospects coming out of college but they are both Elite level athletes and above average prospects especially in this years draft.

IMO the Wide 9 would come right back if Dion stayed light and was put at DE. They used it JUST BECAUSE Cliff had a good speed edge rush, and it hurt Suh/Fairley's abilities. I think DJ needs to pick up at least 17lb (265lb) to be a starting DE. If OLB, all he needs is 5-10lb to start.

More than questioning his ability is a starter is my worry for the offensive line. I'd much rather trade down to the #9-12 range (there will be offers. for example; Browns JUST switched to a 3-4 defense, the Jets may think the Browns are eyeing Dion Jordan and want to pick ahead of them) and get Cooper, LJ, or Warmack. A NEW starting-caliber O-lineman is a MUST this upcoming season. No way we start 3 offensive linemen who have never started over 5 consecutive games.

April 4th, 2013, 12:32 pm
RIP Killer

liontrax wrote:

I think we'll find out jiffy quick just how much stock the coaching staff has in the three CB prospects selected last season. If they pull the trigger on Milliner they've come to the conclusion Bentley and Green don't have the stuff, and Greenwood is still a gamble. I think the Lions would have a shot at trading down, because I think some team would want Milliner enough to move up. If the Lions pass on Dee, Cleveland may snap him up. If not, he'll likely be taken by the Jets at #9 (I don't see Arizona or Buffalo taking him). If the Lions were to swing a deal, I would hope they wouldn't fall back more than the middle of the round. The bigger question is, if Geno Smith is still available does a team like Buffalo think about moving up ahead of Arizona to get him?

Also, I don't think Ansah comes off the board in the first four picks. I'd be shocked. However, I could see Dion Jordan or possibly an outside shot of Star Lotulelei being selected in that first four.

As for teams that may trade up for Milliner, I would count Miami and Tampa Bay as possible trade partners for him, along with the Jets. If either of the Flordia teams were to propose a trade up, at the very least the Lions would be looking at an additional second round pick. Miami has two second round picks, so they might be willing to make the move. Miami also has two third round picks, so I can definitely see them making some draft day moves.

April 4th, 2013, 12:56 pm
NFL Veteran

Shotty wrote:
rao wrote:
Shotty wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Shotty wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

No?

IMO the Wide 9 would come right back if Dion stayed light and was put at DE. They used it JUST BECAUSE Cliff had a good speed edge rush, and it hurt Suh/Fairley's abilities. I think DJ needs to pick up at least 17lb (265lb) to be a starting DE. If OLB, all he needs is 5-10lb to start.

More than questioning his ability is a starter is my worry for the offensive line. I'd much rather trade down to the #9-12 range (there will be offers. for example; Browns JUST switched to a 3-4 defense, the Jets may think the Browns are eyeing Dion Jordan and want to pick ahead of them) and get Cooper, LJ, or Warmack. A NEW starting-caliber O-lineman is a MUST this upcoming season. No way we start 3 offensive linemen who have never started over 5 consecutive games.

The wide-9 isn't leaving. They may use some different things for rushing downs, but they are still using the wide-9 as their primary formation for the Dline. They didn't just use the wide-9 because of Avrils speed, it's Schwartz preferred formation and they brought in Washburn who also uses it as a primary formation. The wide-9 also plays to the strength of Suh/Fairley, they are both pass rushing under-tackles and the formation allows them to pass rush on every down.

Jordan is already big enough to be a starting OLB in a 4-3 and he will most likely put on at least 5 lbs just being in an NFL training program that makes him train full time unlike the college training restrictions. There is no reason for the speed DE in Schwartz defense to get over 260 because they are not there to stop the run. If the player can stuff a run that's great, but all he needs to do is keep putting pressure on the QB and at least force the OT to stay with him while the LBs stop the runner.

I have said I'm not a fan of the wide-9, but if the Lions are going to run it they need to draft players to fit it and Jordan needs very little to be plugged in.

I'm not opposed to trading down to get LJ, but I don't think you can go below the Cardinals and still get him.

No matter how the Lions draft they will still be starting 3 Olinemen who have never started more than 5 consecutive games.

April 4th, 2013, 1:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]