View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 29th, 2014, 2:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Drafting Lane Johnson 
Team MVP

Post Re: Drafting Lane Johnson
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I can't agree that LT isn't our biggest need. IMO we literally have no starting caliber OTs on the roster right now. Not for an offense that literally passes more than EVERY team in the NFL. At least at DE we have Jones and we (should have) Lojack. At least they can get the job done. Further, if the DE's don't do their job, there are 9 other guys that can still make the play. If an LT
doesn't do his job, the play is over, period.

THIS. Well said.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 17th, 2013, 1:10 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Dream Scenario:

Quote:
Lane Johnson thinks the Eagles like him at No. 4
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... m-at-no-4/
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 17, 2013, 2:40 PM EDT

AP
Two offensive tackles, Luke Joeckel of Texas A&M and Eric Fisher of Central Michigan, are expected to be Top 5 picks in next week’s NFL draft. But they may not be the only two.

Lane Johnson of Oklahoma, widely regarded as the third-best tackle in the draft, thinks he may be going to Philadelphia with the fourth overall pick. Johnson has had a lot of contact with the Eagles, both working out for them in his hometown of Groveton, Texas, and visiting their facilities in Philadelphia. And he told Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer that he thinks there’s a good chance he’ll be the Eagles’ first-round pick.

“It’s a good possibility,” Johnson said. “What they’re going to do offensively really fits what I excel at — up-tempo, zone offense. But you never know what’s going to happen come draft day.”

The 6-foot-6, 304-pound Johnson is a former quarterback who thinks fast and moves very well for a man his size, and those are good traits for Chip Kelly’s offense. For the Eagles, fourth overall may not be too high to take Johnson.

April 17th, 2013, 2:56 pm
Team MVP

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Dream Scenario:

Quote:
Lane Johnson thinks the Eagles like him at No. 4
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... m-at-no-4/
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 17, 2013, 2:40 PM EDT

AP
Two offensive tackles, Luke Joeckel of Texas A&M and Eric Fisher of Central Michigan, are expected to be Top 5 picks in next week’s NFL draft. But they may not be the only two.

Lane Johnson of Oklahoma, widely regarded as the third-best tackle in the draft, thinks he may be going to Philadelphia with the fourth overall pick. Johnson has had a lot of contact with the Eagles, both working out for them in his hometown of Groveton, Texas, and visiting their facilities in Philadelphia. And he told Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer that he thinks there’s a good chance he’ll be the Eagles’ first-round pick.

This would be awesome...Fisher would fall right into our laps.
“It’s a good possibility,” Johnson said. “What they’re going to do offensively really fits what I excel at — up-tempo, zone offense. But you never know what’s going to happen come draft day.”

The 6-foot-6, 304-pound Johnson is a former quarterback who thinks fast and moves very well for a man his size, and those are good traits for Chip Kelly’s offense. For the Eagles, fourth overall may not be too high to take Johnson.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

April 17th, 2013, 3:49 pm
Team MVP

In my opinion, we need a LT. We have the chance to get a LEFT tackle. I dont want to look back 6 months from now and say "We should have taken that guy when we had a chance".

April 17th, 2013, 4:22 pm
Walk On

kdsberman wrote:
In my opinion, we need a LT. We have the chance to get a LEFT tackle. I dont want to look back 6 months from now and say "We should have taken that guy when we had a chance".

I completely agree with this statement. It's funny, I always hear guys say... This is a reach at a teams draft position, but unless you can tell the future, know one can really predict a reach. Because this guy can end up more productive than a #1 and more at the position or fail miserably into bust status. If you look back at the Polumalu draft, folks thought Steeler's choice to jump up and take him at 16 was a reach, now his body of work screams #1 overall. So a reach is only in the eye of the beholder, I think in the long run it might look like a reach, but what guarantees they'll be a franchise LT out there in the future with this much upside, even if he's not starting until mid-season. If this guy can hold down the left side with Reiff on the right for the next 5 or so years a reach at 5 sounds like a bargain. Unfortunately, potential good guards comes around a little more often than potential franchise LT's.

April 17th, 2013, 9:43 pm
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:

rti
At the same time, I don't want to look back in 6 months and say "We shouldn't have reached for a tackle that isn't starting, when we could have taken a CB or DE or OG that would have started from day one."

April 18th, 2013, 6:29 am
Walk On

m2karateman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

rti
At the same time, I don't want to look back in 6 months and say "We shouldn't have reached for a tackle that isn't starting, when we could have taken a CB or DE or OG that would have started from day one."

Except those positions could probably be drafted in the 2nd or 3rd Rd. with day 1 starting results, I don't know if u can say the same thing about grabbing a LT in those rounds.

April 18th, 2013, 11:58 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Mufasa wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

rti

Except those positions could probably be drafted in the 2nd or 3rd Rd. with day 1 starting results, I don't know if u can say the same thing about grabbing a LT in those rounds.

Joekle, Fisher, Johnson, Fluker, and Watson are all day 1 starters at LT. Terron Armisted might not be a Day 1 starter, (Though he might be), he could start by mid-season.

April 19th, 2013, 9:38 am
NFL Veteran

BillySims wrote:
Mufasa wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

rti

Joekle, Fisher, Johnson, Fluker, and Watson are all day 1 starters at LT. Terron Armisted might not be a Day 1 starter, (Though he might be), he could start by mid-season.

Fluker and Watson are not sure to be starting LTs, Fluker for one is almost purely looked at as a RT and Watson has never even played on the left.

April 19th, 2013, 10:09 am
Hall of Fame Player

rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Mufasa wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

rti

Fluker and Watson are not sure to be starting LTs, Fluker for one is almost purely looked at as a RT and Watson has never even played on the left.

Yeah, I was mistaken about Watson. But Fluker is not only being considered a RT. In the other thread about the Lions trading down, I posted what Bill Polians thoughts about Fluker are. He believes Fluker can be a pro bowl LT. I am sure he isn't alone.

April 19th, 2013, 10:27 am
NFL Veteran

BillySims wrote:
rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Mufasa wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

rti

Yeah, I was mistaken about Watson. But Fluker is not only being considered a RT. In the other thread about the Lions trading down, I posted what Bill Polians thoughts about Fluker are. He believes Fluker can be a pro bowl LT. I am sure he isn't alone.

I agree some experts think he can become a LT, but that doesn't mean they have him as a day 1 starter. The other 3 OTs have all proved they can play the position in college and have tested out both physically and on tape(though LJ has less tape). Fluker has no tape.

April 19th, 2013, 10:43 am
Team MVP

If we trade down, it better be for a guard. I dont think id want Fluker. Not that hes bad, but Id rather have a guy that has left tackle written all over him.

April 19th, 2013, 2:42 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I understand the need for LT and I am all for taking one @ 5 but I'm surprised at how little we talk about replacing Dom. I really think we should put a premium on looking to replace him at C. Even if it means trading up in the later rounds.

I think Johnson will be a starter, Fluker should too if he keeps his weight in check. but as long as we have Dom at C, all we are gonna be able to do is throw the ball. We have two very capable running backs and Leshoure. It is crucial that we fortify the inside RIGHT NOW.

April 19th, 2013, 3:30 pm
NFL Veteran

Killwill25 wrote:
I understand the need for LT and I am all for taking one @ 5 but I'm surprised at how little we talk about replacing Dom. I really think we should put a premium on looking to replace him at C. Even if it means trading up in the later rounds.

I think Johnson will be a starter, Fluker should too if he keeps his weight in check. but as long as we have Dom at C, all we are gonna be able to do is throw the ball. We have two very capable running backs and Leshoure. It is crucial that we fortify the inside RIGHT NOW.

This team isn't going to get behind the center and run even if they had a stronger center. It's not their style of offense. They just need to make sure the guards and tackles are set.

I think most people are expecting Nagy to come back from his injury and be able to take over for Raiola. Nagy already has starting experience at center and should be a decent replacement as long as he can stay healthy.

I have also saw numerous people on the board suggesting Barrett Jones or Travis Frederick in the later rounds, so people obviously care. The Lions asked Raiola to take a pay cut and that seems to show they are ready to part ways also.

The only reason more people aren't talking about center is everyone is focused on the first 2 rounds more than anything else.

April 19th, 2013, 4:10 pm
Team MVP

rao wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

This team isn't going to get behind the center and run even if they had a stronger center. It's not their style of offense. They just need to make sure the guards and tackles are set.

I think most people are expecting Nagy to come back from his injury and be able to take over for Raiola. Nagy already has starting experience at center and should be a decent replacement as long as he can stay healthy.

I have also saw numerous people on the board suggesting Barrett Jones or Travis Frederick in the later rounds, so people obviously care. The Lions asked Raiola to take a pay cut and that seems to show they are ready to part ways also.

The only reason more people aren't talking about center is everyone is focused on the first 2 rounds more than anything else.

Not their style of offense? Its called "football".

April 19th, 2013, 4:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next