View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 27th, 2014, 12:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post Your 2013 Lions Draft Grades 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Post Your 2013 Lions Draft Grades
Blueskies wrote:
Incomplete.

I've written it many times here, but I believe trying to grade drafts right after they happen is the dumbest thing. None of it matters until these guys play a few years.

Want an easy way to see this? Go on Google and search "2011 Detroit Lions draft grades" and see what you find.

Everyone loved the Lion's draft in 2011. Great value in Fairley. Titus Young awesome sleeper pick. Leshoure, perfect combination of talent and team need.

Of the five players the Lions took that year, only two of them are still on the roster -- both were arrested, and neither has proven to be a particularly great player.

If the Lions snag two pro bowlers, it'll have been an outstanding draft -- no matter what positions they play or which round they were taken. If none of these guys are still on the team three years from now, it will have been a horrible draft -- no matter how good the pick was from a perceived value standpoint or how well it seemed to fill a need.

I know it's fun to talk about, but to me, it's like the audience on Deal or No Deal discussing which briefcase the contestants should pick to open.

great post. nobody has a crystal ball and even when the picks have talent like they did in 2011 there can be a lot of issues that destroy the draft yield

April 29th, 2013, 1:23 pm

Quote:
I never said the Lions didn't use a zone blocking scheme, I said they don't use one as in right now or maybe I'm wrong but its not an important part of their system now. Being good in a zone blocking scheme has nothing to do with whether a back is a power guy or speed guy, both have been successful in it. Zone blocking plays well to one-cut down hill runners, all the back needs is to be willing to hit the whole without fear. Bell would probably work well in a zone scheme, Leshoure liked to dance a bit so I'm not sure on him.

The reason why Warford is a great fit is the one thing the Lions have needed on the inside is someone that can anchor. Warford will be able to hold the pocket for Stafford and shouldn't be pushed back into Staff on every drop. Yeah, athletic lineman are nice, but Staff is better when he stays in the pocket and has room to step into his throws. There is no reason to be able to have your RG pulling all over the field as long as he is able to drive forward on run plays.

i think the biggest problem in protection last year was up the middle pressue, warford should help with that. we can agree on that, still i think dallas thomas could have also and would be a little more versatile for when we switch up the blocking schemes. maybe they wanted to replace the beef that was lost when cherilus left and still have someone who can drive block. i gave warford a good grade, i expect he will start and be average and be someone hopefully we dont have to think about too much.

April 29th, 2013, 1:31 pm
NFL Veteran

The Legend wrote:
Quote:
I never said the Lions didn't use a zone blocking scheme, I said they don't use one as in right now or maybe I'm wrong but its not an important part of their system now. Being good in a zone blocking scheme has nothing to do with whether a back is a power guy or speed guy, both have been successful in it. Zone blocking plays well to one-cut down hill runners, all the back needs is to be willing to hit the whole without fear. Bell would probably work well in a zone scheme, Leshoure liked to dance a bit so I'm not sure on him.

The reason why Warford is a great fit is the one thing the Lions have needed on the inside is someone that can anchor. Warford will be able to hold the pocket for Stafford and shouldn't be pushed back into Staff on every drop. Yeah, athletic lineman are nice, but Staff is better when he stays in the pocket and has room to step into his throws. There is no reason to be able to have your RG pulling all over the field as long as he is able to drive forward on run plays.

i think the biggest problem in protection last year was up the middle pressue, warford should help with that. we can agree on that, still i think dallas thomas could have also and would be a little more versatile for when we switch up the blocking schemes. maybe they wanted to replace the beef that was lost when cherilus left and still have someone who can drive block. i gave warford a good grade, i expect he will start and be average and be someone hopefully we dont have to think about too much.

We agree on the grade and most of the important stuff. You have a slightly higher view of Thomas than I do, he seems light for a guard and weak as an anchor. He's been playing OT and is built like one, IMO he will have to add weight and strength before he'll be able to anchor against NFL DTs. Good prospect and versatile, but I think Warford gives you what he is now and still can get better with better conditioning.

April 29th, 2013, 1:40 pm
Team MVP

Im not going to grade each pick, simply because im too lazy to write that much. I think M2K summed it up pretty well.

In my honest opinion, I think this is Mayhews best draft so far.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 29th, 2013, 7:20 pm
RIP Killer

Blueskies wrote:
Incomplete.

I've written it many times here, but I believe trying to grade drafts right after they happen is the dumbest thing. None of it matters until these guys play a few years.

Want an easy way to see this? Go on Google and search "2011 Detroit Lions draft grades" and see what you find.

Everyone loved the Lion's draft in 2011. Great value in Fairley. Titus Young awesome sleeper pick. Leshoure, perfect combination of talent and team need.

Of the five players the Lions took that year, only two of them are still on the roster -- both were arrested, and neither has proven to be a particularly great player.

If the Lions snag two pro bowlers, it'll have been an outstanding draft -- no matter what positions they play or which round they were taken. If none of these guys are still on the team three years from now, it will have been a horrible draft -- no matter how good the pick was from a perceived value standpoint or how well it seemed to fill a need.

I know it's fun to talk about, but to me, it's like the audience on Deal or No Deal discussing which briefcase the contestants should pick to open.

Well, the fact is that people do it and it's not going to stop. Mock drafts are stupid too, if you look at it that way, since nobody knows exactly what each team is going to do. Even the people in the war rooms don't know exactly what picks they will make until they are made.

Basically, grading the draft A) gives people something to do after all the stuff leading up to the draft and B) allows the glow from the draft to continue. It extends the draft just a little bit longer. Also, very few people are interested in going back to the draft from three years ago and seeing just how far off both they and the guys running their team were on the picks that were made.

Getting to the folks that are thinking I was rough or wrong on the Darius Slay pick.....you could very well be right. He could turn out to be a solid cover guy. However, he is less than six foot tall and not a very physical player. I prefer the Lions to get a physical corner that can knock guys off the line at the snap. Nothing bothers me more than seeing opposing receivers running free down the field with our corners constantly playing 10 yards off the ball. No timing disruption, no getting into their heads by frustrating them, no forcing them into the sidelines and using that like a 12th man. And while elite speed is a great thing for our corners to have, most of the time that opposing receivers were beating us deep wasn't because of the corners, it was because of poor coverage by the safeties. Now, maybe Chris Greenwood can be that big, physical corner and that's why the Lions went with Slay and his outstanding speed. But in a division with big receivers like Brandon Marshall, Jordy Nelson and Alshon Jeffrey, I think having someone with some size is a good idea.

April 29th, 2013, 7:39 pm

if our corners are playing 10 yards off the ball again it will probably mean that quinn and delmas are both injured

April 29th, 2013, 7:44 pm
NFL Veteran

Slay is like 5'11'' and 7/8. Most places just list him as 6'. The only CB taken in the 2nd round bigger than him was Amerson and he didn't play press in college either. Slay shouldn't have a problem learning to play press and has nice long arms to help along with great recovery speed. I think Jamar Taylor was the only 2nd round press guy and he's only 5' 10 1/2''. Also every thing I've seen on Slay said he was a very physical CB, unafraid to tackle and likes to use his hands on receivers. His team just didn't use press coverage much, Banks didn't play it very often either.

April 29th, 2013, 9:02 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

The other Ansah comparison that pops into my mind is Darko.

Can anyone think of player that was taken based purely on their athletic potential, that actually worked out?

April 29th, 2013, 9:29 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Blueskies wrote:

Can anyone think of player that was taken based purely on their athletic potential, that actually worked out?

so far...maybe Bruce Irvin, DR-C(no one expected 17 reps out of him), JJ Watt, Chris Johnson, Josh Robinson for MN is looking pretty solid

April 30th, 2013, 2:10 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Killwill25 wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

so far...maybe Bruce Irvin, DR-C(no one expected 17 reps out of him), JJ Watt, Chris Johnson, Josh Robinson for MN is looking pretty solid

I'm not really sure you understood me. JJ Watt and Chris Johnson, for example, were both considered pretty good college players. Their athletic attributes may have propelled their draft stock higher than it would've been, but they did OK in college.

I'm talking players that had little prior success, but were drafted high simply due to their perceived impressive athletic ability.

What people might call "workout warriors" -- how many of them actually work out?

April 30th, 2013, 3:45 am
RIP Killer

Jason Pierre-Paul. Same situation as Ansah, with massive upside, but so raw. You could say the same for Chris Henry when the Titans drafted him. Little experience, but outstanding combine numbers.

Most of those workout warriors like Heyward-Bey, Gholston, Matt Jones, Michael Bouleware, etc, were all good collegiate players (some were dominant, like Bouleware). They were all good players that had first day (Rds 1-2) grades. They were pushed into the top 20 (or the top 7) because of their combine performances.

You can't really call it an apples-to-apples comparison with a Darko reference.

April 30th, 2013, 4:16 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Ya, I doubt Darko was taken on just athletic ability. I'm sure he was a beast in Serbia

April 30th, 2013, 4:24 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I give this draft a B+.

April 30th, 2013, 10:53 am
RIP Killer

Killwill25 wrote:
Ya, I doubt Darko was taken on just athletic ability. I'm sure he was a beast in Serbia

Darko was the 2nd pick overall after LeBron, the next 3 players after that were Carmello, Bosh and Wade. Joe D should get some sort of award for worst draft pick ever...

At least there is a little game film on Ziggy.

April 30th, 2013, 11:10 am
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

I don't think you could ever make a fair comparison to Darko because it would be like a D-3 or to be nice a D-2 player getting drafted in the top - 10.

I guess you could say Walter Payton since his school was D-2 when he was drafted I think, but that was a long time ago and I'm not sure how much of a gap there really was in talent back then.

April 30th, 2013, 11:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next