View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 18th, 2014, 12:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Early Prospect want list. 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Re: Early Prospect want list.
Clowney would be amazing, but I see no possibility of him falling to #10 unless STL stays put and takes someone else and a brigade of QBs are taken leading to our pick.

A defensive line of Suh/Fairley/Jones, OLBs Willie Young (if he's back) and Clowney, with Tulloch and Levy manning the middle would be very interesting.

My priority list at #10:

1. Clowney
2. Matthews
3. Gilbert
4. Barr
5. Dennard

One will fall.

December 31st, 2013, 6:49 pm
Hall of Fame Player

liontrax wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
liontrax wrote:

Mostly agree, but I would add OT to your list. I'm not convinced we're set at tackle. So if the top tackle falls, BPA might come into play. I realize it's not the greatest need.

The Lions don't have a need for a starting offensive tackle, so there is no need to draft one in round one. I was speaking specifically about the first round.

However, were I in charge of the Lions draft room, offensive tackle would only be drafted if a player at that position fell for some ridiculous reason. Reiff and Waddle are good starters. Stafford was among the least sacked QBs this season. Our running game was pretty decent with them, and the addition of Warford at right guard with Sims at left really helped. Our biggest need on the line is going to be at center. I am not sure Rodney Austin is that guy or not. I know Dylan Gandy isn't that guy to replace Raiola. And the Lions shouldn't continue forward thinking Raiola can put together another season like this past one. He played well, but he's still not the ideal guy from a physical perspective.

Our biggest need on offense is a second receiver and someone to pull Matt's head out of his butt. Other than that, we are in pretty solid shape.

Again, agree. Waddle was a fortunate find and performed well when pressed into service. I believe our greatest need for round 1 would be CB or WR. Will one worthy of the 10th pick be there? Just saying that in what appears to be a Tackle rich draft, if the top one falls do you ignore it? Mayhew always professes to go BPA. But maybe at this point in the rebuild of the talent base they can start addressing need as opposed to BPA. Would also like to see the Lions draft a TE relatively high (first 4 rounds) and let Pettigrew walk.

I would only want an OT in the 1st round if Mathews falls to #10 which will not happen. But, I do think we need to address the RT position. We used 3 players there this year because none of the 3 could stay healthy. When healthy, all 3 did well. But, we need 1 guy to play well and play every game.

December 31st, 2013, 7:30 pm
Hall of Fame Player

rao wrote:
M2K is so on the nose with saying that roster moves take distant second to who they get as a new HC. It's pretty hard to say what the Lions will need without knowing the schemes they will be using and the fact that many new HCs will try to bring in guys from their old teams. If they decide to turn to a 3-4 LB could become their number one need or if a more play action run game is used they may feel OL is the bigger need.

So much for not having to rebuild to suit the new coach that so many on this board said we wouldn't have to do.

Supposedly we would hire a guy that would continue a close resemblance to what we already do.

December 31st, 2013, 7:33 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
rao wrote:
M2K is so on the nose with saying that roster moves take distant second to who they get as a new HC. It's pretty hard to say what the Lions will need without knowing the schemes they will be using and the fact that many new HCs will try to bring in guys from their old teams. If they decide to turn to a 3-4 LB could become their number one need or if a more play action run game is used they may feel OL is the bigger need.

So much for not having to rebuild to suit the new coach that so many on this board said we wouldn't have to do.

Supposedly we would hire a guy that would continue a close resemblance to what we already do.

I believe the Lions FO has already gone on record as stating that they will only hire a coach who meets certain specifications, one of them being that the coach in question won't bring in coordinators that are going to upset the apple cart. They have 4-3 personnel for defense, and that's the defense they will continue running. They have personnel for a passing offense, and that's the offense that they want to continue using.

When I made my statement about the coaching, it was in regards to getting someone in here who can fix the issues like the fumbling, the predictable play calling, the drops, the off-sides penalties and a host of other mental issues. Physically the team has enough to get them into the playoffs and win some games during the playoffs. If that coach can address those issues and convince Stafford to work with a qualified QB coach and guru, this team would be dangerous. A CB here, a WR there....the team would be fearsome.

A good coach and some locker room leadership that directs the players to believe in the system, and that could all happen.

January 2nd, 2014, 3:24 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

I dont think there is a corner at No 10 worth taking. If the market is at all similar to last year decent corners should be available in free agency for a low price. Besides that, good corners can be found anywhere in the draft just like any position. Seattle for example, got Browner out of Canada and Sherman was a 5th rd pick.

OT - I think Reiff is just average and long term projects as a Backus type ceiling though I think Reiff is a much better run blocker and considerable worse pass blocker. Overall his effectiveness is about the same. Stafford gets the ball out quick and that can cover up some deficiencies on the line

Interior line - not taking that in Rd 1. Might need a guard or a center later on if new staff isnt sold on Rodney Austin developing or Gandy/Harris being stopgap starters should Raiola move on and Sims continue to decline (though still average)

Edge pass rusher - This is a huge need, I d put it right up there with WR and CB. Teams had way too much time to throw on our suspect secondary despite top tier interior pressure from Suh and at times Fairley. Ansah had some spurts but they missed Avril's closing speed from the other side. Taylor showed some promise but not as a starter. Young is a Free Agent and while decent, is better off as a rotation/energy guy.

S - Delmas contract is prohibitive. Carey isnt a bad fill in especially at safety. I dont like him much at corner though.

WR - Huge need, team would be much more dynamic and less predictable with a solid true outside receiver. Kris Durham is maybe the worst No 2 WR in the NFL and he s getting almost no attention from defenses yet still cant produce. They also need a slot guy and there are some decent ones available in middle rounds. This is an area where the front office has repeatedly failed its coaching staff and last offseason simply refused to make a move. Huge mistake that cannot be repeated.

TE/Hback- in need of both a reliable pass receiver with some speed and a versatile guy that can play a lil fullback and get in motion and be a lead blocker or a short yardage receiver. Bruce Miller from San Fran would be the prototype. Not a 1st rd need but as m2k said could maybe consider Amaro or Ebron in a tradeback scenario if top passrushers and WRs gone by the time of Lions picks.

January 5th, 2014, 10:13 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

My " Early Prospect want list. "

In the first round I'm always going to lean towards BPA, and if that happens to be a position of need, great. So, at 10.

WR Sammy Watkins - If he's there it's a no-brainer, exceptional talent.
DE Jadeveon Clowney - Same as Sammy, even though DE isn't the huge need WR is, you can't pass on BPA.
OLB Khalil Mack - Believe we need a SSLB w/pass rush ability.
OT's Jake Matthews or Cyrus Kouandjio - and not necessarily in that order, again, BPA, not need.

I would normally expect most of these guys to be gone, but if there's a run on QB's early as I believe there will be, then maybe the Lions will have some good choices. If the top talent at a position of need are gone then hopefully trading back comes into play. Several players I would like for later in the 1st.

Jace Amaro TE
Marquise Lee WR
Trent Murphy DE
Justin Gilbert CB
Kyle Van Noy LB

January 5th, 2014, 12:16 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I think the Rams will look to trade down from #2. Does anyone else think that trading up for Sammy Watkins should be a possibility?

January 5th, 2014, 5:34 pm
RIP Killer

Killwill25 wrote:
I think the Rams will look to trade down from #2. Does anyone else think that trading up for Sammy Watkins should be a possibility?

Trading up would be foolsih, even for Watkins. That would be the Lions would be trading up to get a player who would essentially be the second best player at that position on the team. You don't trade up for that. I'd love to see the Lions land Watkins, but not at that cost.

I would only be in favor of the Lions trading up for what would be deemed a special talent at either cornerback or outside linebacker. There is no corner worthy of a trade up. As a matter of fact, I agree with the notion that no corner available is even worth the #10 pick. And in truth, I don't see Anthony Barr as being an ideal fit for the Lions, and he's the only OLB worth a top ten pick at this point.

I agree that the Rams may look to trade down, but they could be looking for a franchise left tackle at that spot. If Jake Matthews proves to be worth a top five pick, I think the Rams will pull the trigger for him at that spot.

January 5th, 2014, 5:52 pm
QB Coach

m2karateman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

Trading up would be foolsih, even for Watkins. That would be the Lions would be trading up to get a player who would essentially be the second best player at that position on the team. You don't trade up for that. I'd love to see the Lions land Watkins, but not at that cost.

I would only be in favor of the Lions trading up for what would be deemed a special talent at either cornerback or outside linebacker. There is no corner worthy of a trade up. As a matter of fact, I agree with the notion that no corner available is even worth the #10 pick. And in truth, I don't see Anthony Barr as being an ideal fit for the Lions, and he's the only OLB worth a top ten pick at this point.

I agree that the Rams may look to trade down, but they could be looking for a franchise left tackle at that spot. If Jake Matthews proves to be worth a top five pick, I think the Rams will pull the trigger for him at that spot.

Trading up almost never works, at least not in the 1st round. The cost is too high and there is always uncertainty of whether the player will pan out. Look at the RGIII trade as an example. WA got their QB who looked great for 1 year and lost in year 2, while the Rams are sitting pretty getting the Redskins' #1 pick this year. The Rams definitely seem to have gotten the better of that deal.

No way would I trade up in round 1.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 6th, 2014, 4:30 am
Team MVP

To me , it depends how far you would need to trade up to land a certain player. If Sammy was there at, let's say, 6 or 7, I probably would. I agree with M2k about him being the 2nd best at his position, but at what point is Calvin going to start a slight decline? Not saying this will be real soon, but at SOME point you gotta start looking for someone to fill his shoes for the future.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 6th, 2014, 12:54 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

To me a similar scenario would be Atlanta/Cleveland 2011. Remember at the time feeling like falcons gave up too much.

Falcons make blockbuster deal with Browns, move up for Jones

NFL.com
Published: April 28, 2011 at 08:40 p.m.
Updated: July 26, 2012 at 08:46 p.m.

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Atlanta Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff invested much of his 2011 and 2012 drafts in a bold draft-day trade that brought Alabama receiver Julio Jones to Atlanta.

The Falcons selected Jones with the sixth overall pick, acquired from the Cleveland Browns on Thursday night for a package of five draft picks, including Atlanta's No. 27 overall selection in the first round this year and the team's first-round pick in 2012.

The Browns also acquired the Falcons' second- and fourth-round picks this year and fourth-round selections in 2012.

January 6th, 2014, 1:07 pm
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:
To me , it depends how far you would need to trade up to land a certain player. If Sammy was there at, let's say, 6 or 7, I probably would. I agree with M2k about him being the 2nd best at his position, but at what point is Calvin going to start a slight decline? Not saying this will be real soon, but at SOME point you gotta start looking for someone to fill his shoes for the future.

I agree with you. The Lions definitely have to start looking at addressing the position even more than they have been, and the possibility of investing a first round pick at that spot. Calvin's health issues are a big part of that. Still, I don't feel that they must trade up to secure Watkins, even as good as he is. Good WRs can be had in later rounds, or latter parts of the first round. It would depend on the asking price for moving up two or three spots. Give up a second rounder? No way. Third rounder? Only if we got a fourth in return. Asking prices aren't as much as they used to be.

The idea that trading up in the first round at all is a no-no is incorrect. Using the RG3 example was a fine choice to show the absolute worst trade up possible, outside of the Saints trading away everything to get Ricky Williams. Even then, the Redskins may have done a worse deal due to them giving up so many first rounders.

In 2007 the Jets traded up to land Darrelle Revis in the first round. I'd say that was a worthwhile move. That same year the 49ers moved up into round one to get Joe Staley.

In 2008 New England moved up to get Jerod Mayo, which pissed me off because I wanted the Lions to be able to get him. Baltimore traded up to get Joe Flacco.

And so it goes. Not every trade up is a bad one. However, I will say that it is evident that more times than not the team trading up regrets the move.

January 6th, 2014, 2:08 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

If the Lions have to wait to select a wide-out, the good news is there is a bevy of talent at that position this year currently carrying 2nd to 4th round grades.

From NFLDRAFTSCOUT.COM

29 Allen Robinson WR 4 Penn State Jr 6-3 210 1-2
34 Kelvin Benjamin WR 5 Florida State rSo 6-5 235 1-2
36 Odell Beckham Jr. WR 6 LSU Jr 5-11 193 1-2
38 Brandin Cooks WR 7 Oregon State Jr 5-10 186 1-2
43 Jordan Matthews WR 8 Vanderbilt Sr 6-3 205 2
46 Jarvis Landry WR 9 LSU Jr 6-0 195 2
49 Davante Adams WR 10 Fresno State rSo 6-2 216 2
55 *Paul Richardson WR 11 Colorado rJr 6-1 172 2
70 Martavis Bryant WR 12 Clemson Jr 6-4 200 2-3
73 Bruce Ellington WR 13 South Carolina rJr 5-9 196 2-3
93 Jared Abbrederis WR 14 Wisconsin rSr 6-1 190 3
95 Mike Davis WR 15 Texas Sr 6-2 195 3
101 Donte Moncrief WR 16 Ole Miss Jr 6-2 226 3
114 Brandon Coleman WR 17 Rutgers rJr 6-5 220 3-4
119 Kasen WilliamsInjured WR 18 Washington Jr 6-2 212 3-4
134 Robert Herron WR 19 Wyoming Sr 5-9 187 4
136 Tyler Lockett WR 20 Kansas State Jr 5-11 175 4
146 Cody Latimer WR 21 Indiana Jr 6-2 215 4-5
157 Jeff Janis WR 22 Saginaw Valley Sr 6-3 218 4-5

January 6th, 2014, 4:52 pm
RIP Killer

The one that intrigues me as a possible third or fourth rounder is Martavis Bryant. He was clearly outshined by Watkins, but in the Clemson games I watched he was pretty good in his own right. Not a speed demon, but in truth I think he's going to be a solid pro player, and a good second receiver. Jeff Janis would be a nice late round pick as well.

I still wonder if the Lions have no hope for Corey Fuller as a pro receiver? He can flat out fly. But does that not translate to the field, and running patterns? I had some high hopes for him.....

January 6th, 2014, 5:23 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

m2karateman wrote:
I still wonder if the Lions have no hope for Corey Fuller as a pro receiver? He can flat out fly. But does that not translate to the field, and running patterns? I had some high hopes for him.....

They kept him on the practice squad and then signed him to a futures contract, so I don't think they've totally given up on him. We'll see what happens in the preseason.

January 7th, 2014, 4:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next